Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblefict
phi
Spawning BRF to Poo?
    #2735384 - 05/27/04 05:03 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I was just cruising through the board's search engine, when I happened to stumble upon this little gem:
Skippy Tek
Looks pretty darn cool, if you ask me. In fact, AFOAF was so impressed by this, he thought he might give it a shot. He has a bunch of 1 pint BRF jars incubating right at the moment. They're not quite colonized yet, but he expects that they'll be finished within a few days. In the meantime, he had a few questions . . .
~ This particular tek makes use of WBS. Would there be any problem spawning BRF to poo instead? And, well, How exactly does one go about doing that? From the photos, it looks like he'd just crumble two or three pints on top of a big pile of poo, mix things up with a fork or something, and then just let nature have its way. Is that correct?
~ Microwaved poo, eh? That's a new one to me. Is this an effective means of pasteurization? While the poo is colonizing, does it need to be in a particularly sterile environment? From the photos, it looks like it was just tossed into the incubator after spwaning.
~After the spawn has colonized, is a non-nutritive casing layer applied? Or, hell, after mixing BRF with poo, would it be wise to apply a casing layer?
~Any other caveats?

Sorry for all the questions. The FAQ comes up a bit short on the subject of spawning, and especially spawning BRF.

Thanks!
~fict

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Spawning BRF to Poo? [Re: fict]
    #2735394 - 05/27/04 05:20 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

BRF should be able to be spawned to poo very similarly to WBS.  Microwave can be effective but standard hot water pasteurization might be more reliable.  It seems that a major cause of failure when spawning to poo is the moisture level being too high.  You really don't want it wet when spawning.  As they say, just a tiny amount of water should come out when you squeeze it in your hand.

After spawning cover with aluminum foil (or something) and poke a few small holes.  If pasteurized properly it should be fine being non-sterile.  Even though the holes seem counter-intuitive at first they are necessary for air exchange that will actually help prevent contams.  After the spawn run is complete (the poo is colonized) it is best to apply a non-nutritive casing as you would when casing straight grain or cakes.

Next time if you search a bit more you can find all these answers.  Search for Roadkill's poo tek.

Good luck :smile:

--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

I wish you all ceaselessly flowing moments of happiness.

OfflineRoger_irrelevant
War's boring,change thechannel!

Re: Spawning BRF to Poo? [Re: psyphon]
    #2735719 - 05/27/04 09:37 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I was under the impression that poo is non nutritious or only slightly nutritious and the mycelium colonizes it but does not consume it, unlike coir. Thats why some use poo as a casing. I don't know if this is correct though.

--------------------
We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams...

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
Re: Spawning BRF to Poo? [Re: Roger_irrelevant]
    #2735727 - 05/27/04 09:40 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

you have coir and poo confused completely.Coir is used for casings for that purpose while poo is used for spawning bulk because it is nutritous.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation