Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTwirl
Stranger
 User Gallery
Mycelium vs Bacteria (need help)
    #27350972 - 06/16/21 05:45 PM (4 months, 2 days ago)

Hello guys, I'm new to this world of shroom cultivation. Almost two weeks ago I tried to clone some Agaricus bisporus in Agar. A few days ago I noticed some white things that seems to be some bacteria but it's growth stopped, meanwhile Mycelium started to spread from the piece of mushroom. Is this dangerous for the mycelium growing in my agar? Should I grab whatever piece of Mycelium i can and transfer to a new agar plate or Mycelium will eventually colonize and "kill" those white globs of bacterial formation? Any help is appreciated, thanks a lot.

Edited by Twirl (06/16/21 05:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineMycoctopuss
Mycoctopuss
 User Gallery

Re: Mycelium vs Bacteria [Re: Twirl]
    #27350985 - 06/16/21 05:54 PM (4 months, 2 days ago)

even if mycelium can defeat the Bacteria Wich is very common for fungi to beat the bacteria . the bacteria produce EndoSpores which are very very difficult to kill when the bacteria live in this form. even autoclaving at 121C 15 psi cant kill some endospores and your agar plate is never usable because whenever you inoculate something with that agar the endospores from the bacteria it there and when it finds the environmental conditions are good it will germinate again and produce more bacteria. it's better to cut the bacteria as soon as possible and make a transfer from that plate before its late

Invisiblestubb
Dahg Rastubfari
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Memory Flag
Re: Mycelium vs Bacteria (need help) [Re: Twirl]
    #27350986 - 06/16/21 05:54 PM (4 months, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Twirl said:
Is this dangerous for the mycelium growing in my agar? Should I grab whatever piece of Mycelium i can and transfer to a new agar plate

Yes, and yes.

But, did you clone a button mushroom from the grocery store?

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

You'll never get a quality, good fruiting clone from the grocery store.  They expand their mycelium to the breaking point of senescence before fruiting to prevent competitor mushroom farms from getting the cultures.  When you get to the high end commercial edibles, cultures are expensive, but at $100, you make that back the very first harvest.

OfflineTwirl
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Mycelium vs Bacteria (need help) [Re: stubb]
    #27350999 - 06/16/21 06:04 PM (4 months, 2 days ago)

Quote:

stubb said:
Quote:

Twirl said:
Is this dangerous for the mycelium growing in my agar? Should I grab whatever piece of Mycelium i can and transfer to a new agar plate

Yes, and yes.

But, did you clone a button mushroom from the grocery store?

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

You'll never get a quality, good fruiting clone from the grocery store.  They expand their mycelium to the breaking point of senescence before fruiting to prevent competitor mushroom farms from getting the cultures.  When you get to the high end commercial edibles, cultures are expensive, but at $100, you make that back the very first harvest.

I did get it from a grocery store hehe. How did you know that? I need to know. Was because the mycelium present is poor quality just by the looks or because of the bacteria being present?

Invisiblestubb
Dahg Rastubfari
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycelium vs Bacteria (need help) [Re: Twirl]
    #27351014 - 06/16/21 06:20 PM (4 months, 2 days ago)

lol, I just took a guess. I've seen some folks cultivate agaricus bitorquis around here, but I don't know that I've ever seen a bisporus grow log.  Probably because the cultures are so expensive.

No, your tissue transfer looks pretty good to me.  I'd say it's perhaps a little larger chunk than necessary if I had to make some critique.  Bacteria happens, it's everywhere.  A little bacteria especially when taking clones is no big deal at all IMO.  That's one of the many reasons we use agar.  Good job. :thumbup:

Invisiblestubb
Dahg Rastubfari
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycelium vs Bacteria (need help) [Re: stubb]
    #27351028 - 06/16/21 06:31 PM (4 months, 2 days ago)

Also I got a little ahead of myself in my first response...

You would want to transfer to a new plate before the mycelium and bacteria meet, but I'd let that grow out a little more before transferring to let the mycelium better establish itself.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale