Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Petri Dish, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIntelligent_Tiger
Whiskey Disposal Unit
 User Gallery

A couple of noob questions
    #27335595 - 06/04/21 08:42 PM (10 days, 9 hours ago)

Ok, first question is for these Agar to brf jars. I simply made brf and dropped a wedge on it (Yes I know now this isn't what I was supposed to do with the agar).

Had no idea how to cover these since obviously I can't re-pasteurize a verm layer on top of it, so I left them covered in foil and very recently added this medical tape over the holes so they could get some air.
Question 1: Is this shit contaminated? It has a fuzzy layer that looks kinda like myc but not like the other jars.
Question 2: Is this medical tape over the top an acceptable alternative to micropore tape? I thought it should work.

My last question is a little simpler. I have a petri dish that was perfectly clean with a transfer growing on it. Haven't had time to do anything with it and it has grown over the whole damn dish.

Do I have to use the leading edge pieces of the myc for transfer? I've tried more central wedges with not great results(kinda fuzzy, bunched up, looks like lichen). I think that might be why my agar jars above look stupid

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: A couple of noob questions [Re: Intelligent_Tiger]
    #27335645 - 06/04/21 09:37 PM (10 days, 8 hours ago)

1. yes. growth doesn't look normal.
2. no. The opening is either too big to filter, or there's no opening stopping ge. Use SFD, poly, or mp tape.
3.  Leading edge is ideal, but you can take wedges from anywhere and it'll grow out.

OfflineIntelligent_Tiger
Whiskey Disposal Unit
 User Gallery

Re: A couple of noob questions [Re: LtLurker] * 1
    #27335722 - 06/04/21 11:17 PM (10 days, 6 hours ago)

Ok cool. Thanks a ton. I've been reading the monotub teks and I think thats what I'm gonna do next since I've gotten pretty ok with agar.

--------------------

Invisiblefungusul
Fungus Kingdom
 User Gallery

Re: A couple of noob questions [Re: Intelligent_Tiger]
    #27339383 - 06/07/21 09:24 PM (7 days, 8 hours ago)

You could try Dawgy style lids.

It replaces the dry filter with an SFD(or a heavy synthetic felt 4mm+) that sits on top of standard pf lids(with 4 holes of 1/8"). Fill the holes with polyfill or better cover them with 1-2 layers of micropore tape(3M).

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A couple of noob questions [Re: Intelligent_Tiger] * 1
    #27339404 - 06/07/21 09:53 PM (7 days, 7 hours ago)

Quote:

Intelligent_Tiger said:
Ok cool. Thanks a ton. I've been reading the monotub teks and I think thats what I'm gonna do next since I've gotten pretty ok with agar.

Instead of monotub I would suggest a shoebox instead using this tek:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24038695

That tek will allow you to not put all your eggs in one basket so it is more forgiving than using like 4qts of grain all in one tub if even a portion of one is bacterial. My personal preference though...

OfflineIntelligent_Tiger
Whiskey Disposal Unit
 User Gallery

Re: A couple of noob questions [Re: CocaineBuffet]
    #27343486 - 06/10/21 08:38 PM (4 days, 9 hours ago)

Hey friend, I'm gonna do that shoebox tek and wanted to ask about my petri dishes.

I have a nice one that was just a single spore on agar. It had been sitting around for a while and it has completely covered the dish and has been trying to grow out of the dish for a week or two. Is it ok to use to colonize some wild bird seed or should I try to get some younger stuff?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Petri Dish, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started