Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin
I'm a teapot User Gallery

oysters aren’t fruiting?
    #27343243 - 06/10/21 02:52 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

hey all!!

just want to be clear, i am totally cool with being patient. growing weed & cubes has taught me a lot of that. i’m more making this post to ask what i’m doing wrong here. i made mini buckets out of some old yogurt containers, & have been letting them colonize. the tops look totally colonized, but the holes where i was expecting mushrooms to grow from don’t look colonized at all. i’m assuming it’s because these areas dried out, however i thought you didn’t need to mist during colonization. i wouldn’t have thought too much of it, but i noticed my pink oysters pinning on the lid. should i have kept these wrapped up until i saw pinning to keep the holes moist? my friend running the same tubs i am lives in cali & didn’t mist his at all & got fruits out the holes. but it’s probably between 20-35% RH where i live.

these were oats spawned to aspen bedding soaked in boiling water & squeezed to field capacity. the oats i used were definitely a bit bacterial, so i’m sure that could be some of it, but if they are anything like cubes i felt i could at least get SOME fruits off them. clearly they are down to pin still, so how do i go about getting them to pin where i want?

thank you all!!

--------------------
you're not the first to set foot here, just another
===================================
i love glass petris & you can too!!
posts i constantly refer back to
new to mushroom cultivation?? read this!!

🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: oysters aren’t fruiting? [Re: hazyhorse]
    #27343400 - 06/10/21 05:09 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Well it may be a bit late now, but I think you've probably assessed your situation correctly.  If they pinned under the lid it's cause they liked it there better than the dried out area around the holes.

Next time you can line the bucket with a plastic bag or something and just cut a little x where each hole is.  Also helps to fill it completely full so there's no place to pin under the lid.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

Re: oysters aren’t fruiting? [Re: Forrester]
    #27343696 - 06/10/21 10:02 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

thanks forrester!! glad to know it’s what i thought. i’ll give the bag a try next go around & fill them up all the way. i appreciate it!!

--------------------

Offlinetaku
° shapeshifter ∆
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #27351187 - 06/16/21 07:18 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

I always did my best to fill my buckets close to the lid so there wasn't much room to form fruits on top.  With no room at top, the fruits grow out.

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: oysters aren’t fruiting? [Re: taku]
    #27351210 - 06/16/21 07:43 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Put them in a bag next time with some PVC stuffed with polyfill thy won't dry out.

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

Re: oysters aren’t fruiting? [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #27351422 - 06/16/21 10:42 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

when you say bag, do you mean like a sterilize mycological bag? if so, i’m using jars & spawning to “buckets” because i have a small pressure cooker & no flow hood, so bags are a little out of the question. if you mean just putting my spawn to wood chips in a new bag, i can def do that. my plan was just to put the actual yogurt containers themselves in gallon plastic baggies & then open/take the baggies off once pins formed, if i didn’t go with forrester’s suggestion of bagging inside the “buckets”

i’m assuming you stuff the bag down into the PVC pipe that has holes drilled in it, then cut the bag where the holes are when the pins start to form? would i stuff the poly fill into those PVC holes & let the mycelium colonize through it then?

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #27351584 - 06/17/21 01:18 AM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Yea I didn't notice what Forrester said but that is exactly what I was talking about. I used to use clear plastic garbage bags they are not totally clear but you can see what is going on inside. I would leave the lid off and used a short piece of PVC stuffed lightly with polyfill for air exchange. When it is ready to fruit remove the PVC pop the lid on cut x's where the holes are and wait for fruits.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag