Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Amazon Agar, Amazon Prime, Petri Dish, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIsThisContam
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Would this work to sterilize plastic petri dishes? UV-Light Question
    #27342421 - 06/10/21 03:34 AM (5 days, 1 hour ago)

Hi Guys,

please dont bit off my head here, I've searched the forum so I know the general advice for cheap plastic petri dishes is to just toss them and buy more. I purchased 20 x 100ml dishes the other day to test out some agar work. I'm just collecting supplies.

in hindsight I should have bought glass which I probably will do at some point however I'd like to reuse the plastic ones, its not a money thing its more of a dont want to contribute to plastic pollution thing. So I've seen that people on here have been having some success with bleach solutions, ISO etc... I'm wondering if I could buy one of these? thought it might be quite handy to have around anyway if it really does what it says on the tin. I mean 99.999% bacteria dead. I probably wont buy this exact one and will look for something similar with a wall plug but you can kinda see where I'm going with this.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001019875382.html

Does this shit actually work or is it all just marketing crap? anyone had a go at UV sterilizing yet? I mean to be honest if it really does work it would make the whole agar process a lot faster as you could just prepare your agar, seal the dishes and then UV them for however many minutes before you store them away right?

I suspect its just too good to be true since I'd have probably seen this method being used as the go to method already. would love to here from anyone who's actually experimented with this and either succeeded or failed, theory is one thing but experience would go alot further.

Thanks in advance

Mush love
ITC

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineIsThisContam
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Would this work to sterilize plastic petri dishes? UV-Light Question [Re: IsThisContam]
    #27342481 - 06/10/21 05:59 AM (4 days, 23 hours ago)

Wow, 40 views and no replies...

I'm starting to think this was either a really hard question and maybe hasn't been tested thoroughly so no simple answer or a really f**king dumbass question not worth the time nor effort replying to.

My money is on the latter. :laugh:

Mush love
ITC

OfflineDharmaForKarma
Novice
Male

Re: Would this work to sterilize plastic petri dishes? UV-Light Question [Re: IsThisContam]
    #27342576 - 06/10/21 08:58 AM (4 days, 20 hours ago)

Just my two cents: I've never read of anyone reporting use of UV in mycology.

I use plastic plates, see Alien's Holy Grail:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26374264/page/1

I use an inexpensive Instant Pot for sterilization, similar in price to the lamps on the page you linked. 

Some issues come to mind:

1.  Will it work?  My one google search reveals snippets like "most plastic is not UV transparent...."

2.  Risk of exposure.  Will you be able to protect your eyes and skin from the strong UV?

3.  Does UV degrade plastic?  Some kinds of plastic are designed to decompose in the UV of sunlight. Presumably these lamps will be much more powerful.

4.  Methodology.  How much time is required, can the plates be closed or must they be open, what kind of chamber, how to handle post exposure, etc.

5.  Power usage.  Very high wattage, additional expense.

6.  Specialized equipment is kind of obvious.  May inspire uncomfortable questions from well meaning visitors.  Not one person questions the Instant Pot in my kitchen. Or even notices.

UV may indeed work but it's possible you are blazing a new trail.  A pioneer.

Edited by DharmaForKarma (06/10/21 09:06 AM)

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: Would this work to sterilize plastic petri dishes? UV-Light Question [Re: DharmaForKarma] * 1
    #27342803 - 06/10/21 11:39 AM (4 days, 17 hours ago)

There's no "success" sterilizing with bleach and iso, it's just not enough. Iso sanitizes things a bit and that's it. I know it wasn't the main issue, but that's really off and not something you should think is true.

I've seen a few posts about UV light and people saying they're gonna test it. I don't think i've seen any of them show a decent result. They either say it's a bad idea or don't update.

OfflineIsThisContam
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Would this work to sterilize plastic petri dishes? UV-Light Question [Re: LtLurker]
    #27343278 - 06/10/21 05:20 PM (4 days, 12 hours ago)

Ok thanks, yeah I guess what I should have said is I've seen people talk about using bleach to clean plastic petri dishes and not having too many issues with contam after. So I may probably go down that route to get a few more miles out of my plastic dishes.

Im intrigued now about this UV thing, I asked the question on 2 other forums and the answer is more or less the same. Nobody seems to have actually tried it and reported back the results. People comment about it being a bad idea yes for all sorts of reasons but for the most part nobody comments from actual experience. May be worth doing some tests myself and sharing my experience with it.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#27343376 - 06/10/21 06:50 PM (4 days, 10 hours ago)

I think you missed my point about iso and bleach. The plate will start go bacterial and moldy as soon as you pour. You're not going to kill everything and have a usable plate.

Yea sure report back. Just don't count on it working.

OfflineIsThisContam
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Would this work to sterilize plastic petri dishes? UV-Light Question [Re: LtLurker]
    #27343859 - 06/11/21 03:57 AM (4 days, 1 hour ago)

Its pretty strange you should say that as I've read of people having different experiences using bleach, specifically when the question gets raised about how to re-use plastic petri dishes. sure you not going to get a 100% success rate but people have reported petri dishes without contamination when using bleach / ISO and so on as the sterilization methods.

I dont see the point of people lying about this. let me rephrase becuase its possible that you may have misunderstood me. There are people who have successfully been able to re-use plastic petris without having contamination issues. Some of those people use bleach and ISO... so on.

Maybe they are just lucky. :crazy:

InvisibleAtomsplit
 User Gallery

Loc: SAB
    #27343908 - 06/11/21 05:02 AM (4 days, 26 minutes ago)

Quote:

IsThisContam said:
There are people who have successfully been able to re-use plastic petris without having contamination issues. Some of those people use bleach and ISO... so on.

No pours are plastic but you need to pressure cook them.

Good luck trying to sterilize using bleach & iso. That will only sanitize them.

OfflineIsThisContam
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Would this work to sterilize plastic petri dishes? UV-Light Question [Re: Atomsplit]
    #27344009 - 06/11/21 07:58 AM (3 days, 21 hours ago)

Quote:

Atomsplit said:
Quote:

IsThisContam said:
There are people who have successfully been able to re-use plastic petris without having contamination issues. Some of those people use bleach and ISO... so on.

No pours are plastic but you need to pressure cook them.

Good luck trying to sterilize using bleach & iso. That will only sanitize them.

OK so I'm really here just here to learn, I dont want to go about wasting my time bleaching plastic dishes if there is absolutely no chance I'm going to be left with a contam free dish. so I guess that idea is out the window now. there is definitley some mixed messages here on the forum. anyway, not worth the risk obviously.

The real mission here is to see if UV will have any luck sanatizing petri dishes, if not plastic ones then maybe glass ones as there is no clear feedback on whether this works or not I will most likely be experimenting with this tek once I have the money. on the plus side I could by a decent UV sanatizer on amazon prime and just send the fucker back after "Sanatizing" enough agar dishes to have a measurable result.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#27344179 - 06/11/21 11:05 AM (3 days, 18 hours ago)

The funny thing about the search engine is you can find people claiming anything works. You could try to justify tieing up subs in trash bags if you wanted to. Sort your results by recent and maybe add a TC filter if you want current accurate info.

Invisiblefungusul
Fungus Kingdom
 User Gallery

#27344711 - 06/11/21 07:29 PM (3 days, 10 hours ago)

:whathesaid:

Any information older than 3 years should be considered carefully especially not coming from a trusted cultivator(TC).

In my opinion, any professional UV lighting system that can be used in hospital setting and actually works is going to cost a lot more than what you can find for regular consumers on Amazon/Alibaba.

You could use PP5 containers which can survive PC as your petri dishes and No Pour Plates Ziran Style. ziploc mini(118ml) are pretty good if you don't mind lost of visibility :wink: .

Offlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger
Re: Would this work to sterilize plastic petri dishes? UV-Light Question [Re: fungusul]
    #27345162 - 06/12/21 07:49 AM (2 days, 21 hours ago)

I'm reading here that UV won't work because it won't pass through the plastic (or even glass). If you opened it up for sterilization, dirty air would get in when you opened up the light box and closed the petri dish. Too difficult to try making it work.

I would not be surprised if bleach worked, especially if diluted 1:9  then pH adjusted to 6.8 with good ventilation. I would be surprised if certain formulations of peracetic acid didn't work, even when diluted to low levels. And a 1-12 hour soak depending on how lucky you feel. However these chemicals might frost the plastic or cause cracking.

I'm tempted to do an experiment, but it'll be a month before I'm disposing of any petri dishes.

Offlinehalf.fast
Fossil
I'm a teapot

Loc: Down there
Re: Would this work to sterilize plastic petri dishes? UV-Light Question [Re: IsThisContam] * 1
    #27345284 - 06/12/21 11:04 AM (2 days, 18 hours ago)

This is an easy question to answer and doesn’t require the excellent expertise of our TCs. Unfortunately, the answer to whether a germicidal UV lamp can be used to sterilize a sealed plastic agar plate is no, it can’t. Here’s why:

Plastic petri dishes are typically made of polystyrene, which is 100% opaque to the UVC emitted by germicidal UV lamps. So the light from the lamp will never reach your agar inside the sealed plastic plates.

I think it would be interesting to experiment with trying to treat open agar plates with UVC germicidal light, but it would be a lot of work for, I believe, a very low chance of success. For example, any solids in the agar could shield bacteria and spores from the UVC. Does UVC even pass through plain agar very well? So many variables, so little time.

Should you decide to pursue open-plate UVC treatment please post your results. I’d love to see them. But take care with those germicidal UVC lamps! UVC can easily cause permanent eye damage.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Amazon Agar, Amazon Prime, Petri Dish, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started