Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinevelho
 User Gallery

Loc: Finland Flag
Panaeolus fimicola / Finland
    #27317293 - 05/21/21 08:42 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Thought to share this as it seems interesting enough for me. I found this same species last year and this year they appeared on the same exact spot in my yard. I tentatively identified them as Panaeolus fimicola and it could be, but probably needs a closer look to be sure.

The odor is really similiar to Panaeolus cinctulus, but it's like two months too early for P. cinctulus in my whereabouts and I've handled cincts quite a bit, so I find it unlikely to be them. These are rather small, like 1-1.5cm cap diameter. Feels sort of rubbery and sturdy like P. cinctulus. I found several similiar looking observations on the nordic observation websites, identified as Panaeolus fimicola.

Edited by velho (09/01/21 02:15 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRenegadeMycologist
On the case
Male User Gallery

Loc: Serbia Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Black spored lawn Panaeolus / Finland [Re: velho]
    #27317353 - 05/21/21 10:14 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

If I am to guess I'd say cinctulus or fimicola.
I think we can make this thread 10 pages long and still be left without answer.
Endless comparing of black and brown does not work, technology does.

Without aid of microscopy or dna sequencing we could only speculate which species, or species group this might be. Features in close species constantly overlap, and there is probably shitload of undesribed Pans.

One way at least to distinguish Paneolous actives is to eat them.

--------------------
:mushroom2:  l e a r n i n g  t h i n g s :mushroom2:

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Black spored lawn Panaeolus / Finland [Re: RenegadeMycologist]
    #27317501 - 05/21/21 12:26 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RenegadeMycologist said:
If I am to guess I'd say cinctulus or fimicola.
I think we can make this thread 10 pages long and still be left without answer.
Endless comparing of black and brown does not work, technology does.

Without aid of microscopy or dna sequencing we could only speculate which species, or species group this might be. Features in close species constantly overlap, and there is probably shitload of undesribed Pans.

One way at least to distinguish Paneolous actives is to eat them.

I Agree, they could also be an undescribed species. I call it Panaeolus cinctulus group

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
    #27317779 - 05/21/21 04:41 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Panaeolus fimicola is likely - if you have a microscope check for sulphidia on the gill faces. 

Also send a dried cap to http://alvalab.es for ITS sequencing, I'll help you analyze the data they give you.

Offlinekiwicase
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Finland
    #27334723 - 06/04/21 03:44 AM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Hi there! First time poster so please be gentle :grin: I am interested in doing some hunting myself but I have absolutely no idea about seasons or where to find them - I reside in the Uusimaa region in the second oldest town in Finland - if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be hugely appreciated. Thank you!

--------------------
“When we look within ourselves with psilocybin, we discover that we do not have to look outward toward the futile promise of life that circles distant stars in order to still our cosmic loneliness. We should look within; the paths of the heart lead to nearby universes full of life and affection for humanity.”
― Terence McKenna, True Hallucinations

Offlineknarkkorven
Entheoholic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sweden Flag
Re: Black spored lawn Panaeolus / Finland [Re: kiwicase]
    #27338976 - 06/07/21 01:55 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Nice find velho.

I agree with Panaeolus fimicola.

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Black spored lawn Panaeolus / Finland [Re: knarkkorven]
    #27343122 - 06/10/21 01:15 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

It would be nice to see more sequencing of the Panaeolus cinctulus group.  I could be wrong,  but I suspect that subbalteatus aka cinctulus and fimicola may be one in the same, but I can't prove my hypothesis without detailed macro/microscopic analysis and sequencing to back it up, the current available sequences in GenBank aren't enough (also my opinion) and possibly contain misidentified species labeled as cinctulus,  fimicola,
olivaceus and foenisecii.

Would love to hear your opinion on this Alan. Do you agree that more work is needed to settle this? It could also possibly help determine if olivaceus actually occurs in North America or if it's European in distribution. How many sequences were named in GenBank without performing detailed Macro/microscopic analysis? This is a question that must be answered in my opinion in order to build an accurate data base or am I discounting the ability of DNA alone to answer these questions?

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Offlinevelho
 User Gallery

Re: Black spored lawn Panaeolus / Finland [Re: Doc9151]
    #27343231 - 06/10/21 02:42 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

knarkkorven said:
Nice find velho.

I agree with Panaeolus fimicola.

Hey knarkkorven and thanks! Nice to see you around! :hatsoff:

Quote:

Doc9151 said:
It would be nice to see more sequencing of the Panaeolus cinctulus group.  I could be wrong,  but I suspect that subbalteatus aka cinctulus and fimicola may be one in the same, but I can't prove my hypothesis without detailed macro/microscopic analysis and sequencing to back it up, the current available sequences in GenBank aren't enough (also my opinion) and possibly contain misidentified species labeled as cinctulus,  fimicola,

I found about 50 specimens and I'll be sending this species to alvalab for sequencing at some point, among some other black spored Panaeolus species that appears on my yard every year and which I assume belonging to cinctulus group. I'm also sending Pholiotina cyanopus, Psilocybe medullosa and a couple of macroscopically a bit different looking Psilocybe semilanceata perhaps also.

A heatwave hit here hard now and everything dried up, but there has been quite many observations in Finland this year of likely the same Panaeolus species as in the original post. I also showed these photos to some members on the Finnish psilocybe forums and a couple of members found this species instantly. I went also looking for these with one of the Finnish forum members and we took some habitat photos, which hopefully will be uploaded here later. This species seem to like pretty dry and sunny habitats.

Here's some photos of a bit different looking black spored Panaeolus species from my yard, these photos are from 2019 and 2020. They look different from the original post find, but I think they also look somewhat different from each other.

1. 2. 3.

Edited by velho (06/10/21 02:50 PM)

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #27343259 - 06/10/21 03:07 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

The mushie in the first picture,  right side,  looks like it has two tiny eyes, love it!!!

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
Re: Black spored lawn Panaeolus / Finland [Re: Doc9151]
    #27343574 - 06/10/21 07:45 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:

Would love to hear your opinion on this Alan. Do you agree that more work is needed to settle this? It could also possibly help determine if olivaceus actually occurs in North America or if it's European in distribution. How many sequences were named in GenBank without performing detailed Macro/microscopic analysis? This is a question that must be answered in my opinion in order to build an accurate data base or am I discounting the ability of DNA alone to answer these questions?

Panaeolus cinctulus and fimicola are definitely different, and they both have sequences available.  I need a sequence of Panaeolus olivaceus from Europe, verified with microscopy to see where that one occurs.  A lot of the Panaeolus sequences in Genbank are mislabeled.

Panaeolus cinctulus:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/1419337782
Panaeolus fimicola: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/MK394183

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
    #27343578 - 06/10/21 07:47 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

velho said:
I found about 50 specimens and I'll be sending this species to alvalab for sequencing at some point, among some other black spored Panaeolus species that appears on my yard every year and which I assume belonging to cinctulus group. I'm also sending Pholiotina cyanopus, Psilocybe medullosa and a couple of macroscopically a bit different looking Psilocybe semilanceata perhaps also.

If you can send me a small collection of Pholiotina cyanopus and Psilocybe medullosa I would be happy to sequence a few genes.

Offlinethe man
still masked
Other User Gallery

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: Black spored lawn Panaeolus / Finland [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #27343701 - 06/10/21 10:05 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

EDIT*

is #2 potentially Panaeolus olivaceus?  alan pointed out most u see online are mis IDd(*so in limited time looking never know if actually is a pan olive to compare), looks bit more olive and slightly dif edge to the cap...? or what potentially seperates them?

Also, about sunny habitat, i think your right! cincts love heat, maybe part of a distant evolution with other active but tropical pans... maybe lol..

Edited by the man (06/11/21 03:10 PM)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
Re: Black spored lawn Panaeolus / Finland [Re: the man]
    #27343762 - 06/10/21 11:42 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

the man said:
is #2 potentially Panaeolus olivaceus?  alan pointed out most u see online are mis IDd, looks bit more olive and slightly dif edge to the cap...? or what potentially seperates them?

Maybe.  Panaeolus olivaceus has spores that are finely asperulate, and are olive in color when immature.  It is only known from Europe according to Gerhardt 1996. 

https://images.mushroomobserver.org/panaeolus.pdf

Offlinevelho
 User Gallery

Re: Black spored lawn Panaeolus / Finland [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #27345137 - 06/12/21 04:48 AM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
If you can send me a small collection of Pholiotina cyanopus and Psilocybe medullosa I would be happy to sequence a few genes.

Sure, but you might want to wait a couple of months so I can collect and prepare new more pristine collections for you and perhaps from different stages of maturity if you will. I haven't really collected Psilocybe medullosa after 2018, only observed and photographed. It's probably more or atleast as common species than Psilocybe semilanceata in here, considering Finland is almost 80% covered in forest.

Here's some more photos of the assumed Panaeolus fimicola and a couple of habitat photos from the excursion we took two weeks ago with another member of the Finnish psilocybin mushroom forums. First couple of photos are from my yard and the rest 500-1000m away from the original finds.

Habitats

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom