Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon DXM, Microscope, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTacitus
Inquisitive Idiot
 User Gallery

What exactly is a trip on shrooms?
    #27337907 - 06/06/21 08:11 PM (11 days, 18 hours ago)

If there are not the open eyed visuals like you see in the movies.
What exactly is a trip.  What does this mean?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedamngoodcoffee
Stranger
Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? *DELETED* [Re: Tacitus]
    #27337964 - 06/06/21 09:19 PM (11 days, 17 hours ago)

Post deleted by damngoodcoffee

Reason for deletion: No reason, changed my mind

InvisibleSonicTitan
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: damngoodcoffee]
    #27338010 - 06/06/21 10:06 PM (11 days, 16 hours ago)

It's an altered state of consciousness.

--------------------

InvisibleLovage
Full Time Ding Dong

Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: SonicTitan]
    #27338085 - 06/06/21 11:11 PM (11 days, 15 hours ago)

If ya get into some potent ones you will for sure do some eye poppin lol. But the amount you need to get there varies from shroom to shroom. What takes 1.5G might take 2.5 on a different one. If your looking to outright bug your mind then I would say have an eighth ready and eat 2.5 a d see where that takes ya. Might be far enough in that ya want off the ride. Maybe you end up wanting more. Either way once ya eat them they will let you know what your gonna be doing for the next few hours.

--------------------
I know what comes out and I am sure you want NOTHING to do with it!
Just Saying....

Offlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger
Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: Lovage]
    #27338445 - 06/07/21 06:49 AM (11 days, 7 hours ago)

You could probably learn a lot from the trip reports forum:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/5

Or erowid:
https://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Psilocybin.shtml

Or is there something more specific you want to know?

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
octopus fucking starfish
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Swimming in Circles Flag
Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: Tacitus] * 2
    #27338458 - 06/07/21 07:08 AM (11 days, 7 hours ago)

Quote:

Tacitus said:
If there are not the open eyed visuals like you see in the movies.
What exactly is a trip.  What does this mean?

Hard to say. Every experience is unique. It could feel like new emotions, colours, odd shapes and sizes. It could be thinking differently, or with inherent profundity. Psychedelics are hard to describe, it's something unique to you that has to be experienced to understand. Tripping is life under a microscope, everything zoomed in and in high focus. But I don't mean visually(although possible). I mean who you are. Your emotions and experiences and thoughts and feelings. Zoomed in to the point where they(you) flourish or otherwise prepared for analysis. I've seen a great many things, but most pale in comparison to the things I've felt.

OfflineSocrateshroomS
сталкер

Loc: Underworld
Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: SonicTitan] * 4
    #27338625 - 06/07/21 10:53 AM (11 days, 3 hours ago)

This is an incredibly complex question.

• Do you mean what is the simple, most basic, most "layman's" definition of a trip?

If so it would be

Quote:

SonicTitan said:
It's an altered state of consciousness.

• Or do you mean what is the phenomenological content of a trip (i.e the effects)?

This varies dramatically from experience to experience and person to person. There are some effects that are generally associated and seem to occur with regularity such as

Closed Eye Visuals
Open Eye Visuals
Feelings of separation from one's "ego"
Feelings of oneness with nature
Intense bodily sensations
Increased visual and auditory acuity
Euphoria
Terror

This list is in no way exhaustive.

• Or do you mean what IS a trip, chemically (i/e what is happening in the organism on a chemical level)?

Here's a good scientific paper on that

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5756147/

• Or do you mean what IS a trip, metaphysically/spiritually (i/e what is happening on a deeper level, an immaterial level if such a thing exists)?

That is the question so many psychonauts, gurus, scientists, etc have been trying to figure out. Plenty of people have their theories. But we don't really know, objectively, what a "trip" is in that sense.

--------------------
“What comes true here is that which reflects your true nature. The most secret desire. It is within you. It governs you. Yet you are ignorant of it.”

- Andrei Tarkovsy, Stalker

redgreenvines said:
seek wonder, not pleasure and you will love psychedelics again, if you did in your youth. Sometimes it means be a student again. sometimes quite literally.

My First Trip

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: Socrateshroom] * 2
    #27338860 - 06/07/21 02:31 PM (10 days, 23 hours ago)

^What Socrates said.

Also, here is a flow chart that kinda sorta breaks down the different content/effects that one can experience when taking a psychedelic.

It's difficult to explain though. There is sooo much more going on that just one's visual perception being altered. With a full dose, the way one perceives the world as well as how they perceive themselves/their life will be viewed through a different lens/perspective.

-OM

--------------------

OfflineSocrateshroomS
сталкер

Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: openmind]
    #27339073 - 06/07/21 05:23 PM (10 days, 20 hours ago)

Quote:

openmind said:
^What Socrates said.

Also, here is a flow chart that kinda sorta breaks down the different content/effects that one can experience when taking a psychedelic.

It's difficult to explain though. There is sooo much more going on that just one's visual perception being altered. With a full dose, the way one perceives the world as well as how they perceive themselves/their life will be viewed through a different lens/perspective.

-OM

Awesome flow chart! Thanks for that :heart:

--------------------
“What comes true here is that which reflects your true nature. The most secret desire. It is within you. It governs you. Yet you are ignorant of it.”

redgreenvines said:
seek wonder, not pleasure and you will love psychedelics again, if you did in your youth. Sometimes it means be a student again. sometimes quite literally.

My First Trip

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: Tacitus] * 1
    #27339244 - 06/07/21 07:16 PM (10 days, 19 hours ago)

you will keep surprising yourself because you keep tripping out on stuff that normally you ignore.
this can be mid sentence or even mid word.
this can be mid step.

maybe something you see, maybe you hear, maybe you think of something in a new way, maybe it's a body feeling that is just amazing, but it keeps on happening. the mind acts like time is for others, you can stay or go in a moment forever.

that is tripping.
enjoy your trips.

--------------------

OfflinePrimalSoup
won't you please help my dog?
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: openmind] * 1
    #27339258 - 06/07/21 07:25 PM (10 days, 18 hours ago)

"perceived oneness with the universe" :laugh2:

As opposed to actual oneness with the universe?

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Grain Prep  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Offlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger
Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #27339525 - 06/08/21 01:14 AM (10 days, 13 hours ago)

Well actual oneness with the universe isn't much good if you can't perceive it.

But I noticed laughter isn't on that chart. Is it not a common effect to find everything hilarious? I experienced that and didn't like it since the humor was joyless. It would be nice to know that won't happen every time.

Offlineshockplague0
Stranger
Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: gone-pear-shaped]
    #27340135 - 06/08/21 01:41 PM (10 days, 41 minutes ago)

Shrooms make the brain go funky

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: gone-pear-shaped] * 1
    #27340318 - 06/08/21 04:04 PM (9 days, 22 hours ago)

That chart leaves a lot out, as all charts do. :shrug:

--------------------

Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Grain Prep  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

OfflineSocrateshroomS
сталкер

#27340343 - 06/08/21 04:28 PM (9 days, 21 hours ago)

Quote:

PrimalSoup said:
That chart leaves a lot out, as all charts do. :shrug:

I don't think a chart can fully encompass the scope of such an incredible and, ultimately, subjective experience.

--------------------

redgreenvines said:

My First Trip

OfflineSub-Easy
slowly dying since birth
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA NC Flag
Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: Socrateshroom] * 1
    #27343078 - 06/10/21 02:48 PM (7 days, 23 hours ago)

Just a thought but it could be just like any other drug, (but not really.... don't tell anyone). Cocaine stimulates a part of the brain that controls logical thinking maybe, idk. Alcohol depresses parts. DXM stops different parts of the brain from communicating in much the same way dreaming does. Maybe mushrooms work on the part of the brain that controls how we translate stimulus and how we relate one thing to another. In other words, the world is translated from the energy we take in through our sense and a representation of the world is constructed  in our minds from that data. So they just fuck with that brain structure that controls what we imagine we are sensing.

I can ride through town while tripping, and it's the same town, same reality, but just the slightest bit shifted. And that causes me to react to the change, but if I got stuck in that state, I could function just fine after I got used to it, and it would seem perfectly normal.

OfflineSocrateshroomS
сталкер

Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: Sub-Easy] * 1
    #27344217 - 06/11/21 11:36 AM (7 days, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

Sub-Easy said:
Just a thought but it could be just like any other drug, (but not really.... don't tell anyone). Cocaine stimulates a part of the brain that controls logical thinking maybe, idk. Alcohol depresses parts. DXM stops different parts of the brain from communicating in much the same way dreaming does. Maybe mushrooms work on the part of the brain that controls how we translate stimulus and how we relate one thing to another. In other words, the world is translated from the energy we take in through our sense and a representation of the world is constructed  in our minds from that data. So they just fuck with that brain structure that controls what we imagine we are sensing.

I can ride through town while tripping, and it's the same town, same reality, but just the slightest bit shifted. And that causes me to react to the change, but if I got stuck in that state, I could function just fine after I got used to it, and it would seem perfectly normal.

I think that's an oversimplified version of the molecular activity of psilocybin and other chemicals present in mushrooms.

Psilocin binds to 5HT2A receptors in the brain (normally occupied by the neurotransmitter serotonin).

Here the psilocybin/psilocin has significant effects on our perception. One article, for example, describes the role serotonin plays in memory and cognition
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphar.2015.00225/full

Here's the link to a number of scholarly articles on 5HT2A (including some on the interaction between psilocin/psilocybin and 5HT2A).

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=effects+of+5ht2a+receptors&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C33&as_vis=1&q=effects+of+5ht2a+receptors+psilocybin&btnG=

I've read through a handful of them and it's incredible the vast number of processes that are mediated by these receptors (which would make sense as serotonin is our most important inherently available neurotransmitter).

It seems that 5HT2A plays a major role in everything from memory to the magnitude of manifestation of psychotic episodes/experiences. It influences our temporo-spatial awareness (hence why mushrooms play with our sense of time and space) and plays a major role in our visual processing.

So psilocybin/psilocin are compounds that are just as (if not possibly more important) than serotonin. And this has major implications because it would seem that the behavior of serotonin on 5HT2A receptors plays THE major role in our experience of both "being human" and our experience(s) of "divinity".

So the use of mushrooms has a bigger and more complex role than just a "drug" that "controls how we translate stimulus and how we relate one thing to another". Those things are inevitably part of the mushroom experience but it seems to go even higher. It seems to be generative as well, influencing how we generate experience and how our neurochemical system organizes into a whole different hierarchy of being.

Terrence Mckenna discussed this relationship between psilocybin and serotonin (calling psilocybin/psilocin the serotonin of nature). And being completely speculative here but what if serotonin mediates the basic ego based functions of our reality while psilocybin/psilocin mediate access to a higher reality where we can become aware of the true nature of the universe?

--------------------

redgreenvines said:

My First Trip

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: Socrateshroom]
    #27344464 - 06/11/21 03:44 PM (6 days, 22 hours ago)

Mushrooms open a magic door.  :hereyougo:

--------------------

OfflineSub-Easy
slowly dying since birth
Male User Gallery

#27344543 - 06/11/21 05:09 PM (6 days, 21 hours ago)

I'm working on it but, different ways of thinking have hit walls so far. To understand it's effect on the "mind" rather than the"brain" would require us to know what the mind is, and so far, no one has figured that out. But to explain it's effect on the brain might be possible. Smaller bites guys. I've considered things from miror reality, or a place were light can't travel because time and space don't exist there, other forces (possibly many unknown forces) influencing physics, god, our self creation, black holes, antimatter, separation of data from mass, Tru solid forms without empty spaces, new laws of percentage, set outcomes, and all possible outcomes, but let's keep it simple this time and say it's just tweaking our nervous system without figuring out how our nervous system plays into "mind" or life/reality/consciousness/soal.

OfflineSub-Easy
slowly dying since birth
Male User Gallery

Re: What exactly is a trip on shrooms? [Re: Sub-Easy]
    #27344556 - 06/11/21 05:22 PM (6 days, 21 hours ago)

Most all of my pathways end in walls. things like, can things touch, what differentiated one thing from another, why do cells split and defferentiate, what's the motivation,

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon DXM, Microscope, Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience