Home | Community | Message Board

ElevationChemicals.com - Reagent Test Kits
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Agar, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Questions for first attempt [Re: msj]
    #27342701 - 06/10/21 10:46 AM (4 days, 18 hours ago)

do those condiment cups arrive sterile? i guess at this point we hope so

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemsj
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Questions for first attempt [Re: Bakedbeings]
    #27346252 - 06/13/21 02:21 AM (2 days, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
do those condiment cups arrive sterile? i guess at this point we hope so

I've seen someone use them before who seems to have good results, and so far so good I'm hoping.  I'm assuming at the three day mark I should see nearly nothing, which is what I have. 

I've never grown mycelium on agar before, though, so to be fair I have no idea what it looks like.  From what I can tell, there are some teensy tiny itty bitty dark purple dots in some of the cultures, which look to me to be smaller clumps of the spores because they're the same color as the clumps in the syringe were. 

Also, near some of these spots (and also independent of any visible spots in some dishes), there is the faintest suggestion of what almost looks like a snowflake pattern.  This is only in a few of the dishes so far.  It's barely visible to the naked eye right now, and it looks like filaments reaching outward from this one center point, and the filaments are pretty strikingly white in contrast to the color of the agar.  The agar I used is a light to medium golden amber color, which I made with 10g agar-agar and 10g LME to just shy of 500ml distilled water.  The dishes have been held at a steady 80-82 degrees for the past three days since inoculation.

Is this a good sign?  What do you specifically notice first that lets you know you've got mycelium and not something else growing?  Or is it more a case of "well it could be anything" until it's bigger?  I've googled but haven't found many good pictures of cube mycelium at 3 days old.

My sterile petri dishes finally got here so I made another batch tonight, but does it sound like the first ones are on track?  Trying hard to hedge my bets so this endeavor is successful.

Edited by msj (06/15/21 12:14 AM)

OfflineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Questions for first attempt [Re: msj]
    #27346786 - 06/13/21 02:49 PM (1 day, 14 hours ago)

sounds like you can afford to be optimistic but at this point only time will tell

Offlinemsj
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Questions for first attempt [Re: Bakedbeings]
    #27348079 - 06/14/21 05:42 PM (11 hours, 26 minutes ago)

I'm gonna take pictures when it's a little easier to see because I really should have colored my agar plates (I did not realize how much I would want the contrast to see better).  However, after taking a quick look today...

I HAVE MYCELIUM BABIES!  They're so cute!  The condiment cups seem to have worked fairly well. 

I'm considering sacrificing one of the 25 I have by opening it to the open air and seeing how quickly it becomes contaminated just so I have some basis for comparison about growth rates and can actually see what pops up from it being exposed to the open air in my house.  I figure if I grow the contaminants on purpose, I would know what they'll typically look like for my environment.

I've heard through my research that agar made with 7.5 grams LME, 10g agar, 500ml water, and .25g powdered nutritional yeast is good for encouraging rhizomorphic growth when you transfer to another agar plate.  The reasoning behind it is that the agar contains less LME so the mycelium has to "reach" for nutrients (and something about the nutritional yeast but tbh that part wasn't well explained).  Going to experiment with my agar formulations a bit, so any advice there is welcome.

Editing to add to this because I looked and one (but thankfully only one) particular cup that I had issues with while pouring it appears very different from the others.  I'm pretty sure I need to toss this one.  Whatever this is, it seems to grow a lot faster, it grows up above the agar surface, it doesn't appear to grow from a central point like the other cups are exhibiting, and it's much, much less dense than I would expect mycelium to be.

Edited by msj (06/15/21 12:08 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Agar, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started