Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

i brought my first mushrooms back!
    #2734228 - 05/26/04 11:19 PM (13 years, 2 days ago)

im gonna go ahead and identify the charasteristics i dont even think these are edible but i willing to learn, tried to load up camera but it crashed,

here it is

habitat: n. central ohio dead tree and soil mixed, tree snapped into two and left a huge hole and soil got in it and i found them in it and around it, tree had to be oak, they all grew together! in bunches had like a root effect going on under ground i had to use knife to pull them all up at once
characteristics of gills: very dark brown not attached went all the way up to the top,
measurement of stem and cap: stems vary from 3 to 4 inches some were 2 inches, caps were from 1 inch to 6 inches
characteristics of stem: white,smooth, hollow,thin, would snap in shattered pieces when i bent it around finger
characteristics of cap:light brown to dark brown the smaller ones had a slight chestnut redish middle texture smooth,the young ones on the end of cap were complete all the way around, and the middle aged ones started to split, the older ones split bad , all were round in shape concave like this (--- < but the older ones started to turn inside out,
spore print has been going on for 30 minutes small ones black purple slighly grey, older ones brownish purple black
bruises: cap bruised slightly brownish, no bluein, theres not even a veil, the stem of all of them didnt bruise at all
scent: sweet at first even with the dirt in the bag

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: i brought my first mushrooms back! [Re: JoeyBond]
    #2734311 - 05/26/04 11:28 PM (13 years, 2 days ago)

by the way the pattern of the gills was consistant even in the spore print i had problems with the gills sticking to my finges, its trying to welt on me? the young ones are holding the best almost no effect of age so far, some of them had a clear nipple on top others had a slight redish chestnut color

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2734659 - 05/27/04 12:43 AM (13 years, 1 day ago)

Joey, You really need to join the Ohio Mycological Society.

Make some cool shroomy friends and How can a camera crash?

They can identify any shroom you bring to their attention. That is what they are there for.

No one here, incluiding me can give a true identification for comments with no photographs to back up what you are seeing.

You ask about people dying, well yes, one can die by misidentifying shrooms.

I have shown photos of Galerina autumnalis to shroomers who look a ththe pictures and tell me that they ate them before and had a great time.

I personally would never eat anything someone like that would pick.

mj

mj

and again your sentence makes no sense. Is this new English?

Quote:

the pattern of the gills was consistant even in the spore print i had problems with the gills sticking to my finges, its trying to welt on me? the young ones are holding the best almost no effect of age so far, some of them had a clear nipple on top others had a slight redish chestnut color[/'quote]

Edited by mjshroomer (05/27/04 12:54 AM)

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: i brought my first mushrooms back! [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2734733 - 05/27/04 12:57 AM (13 years, 1 day ago)

heh, I was wondering what the translation of that was too :wink:.

the only think I could think of is he has a coprinus and welt=melt but m and w are a long ways apart, who knows :shrug:

DH

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: i brought my first mushrooms back! [Re: spores]
    #2734840 - 05/27/04 01:41 AM (13 years, 1 day ago)

ok short and simple doesnt that cost money, and wouldnt they be concerned that im looking for a certain kind of mushrooms, and poisonous ones as well? as for welt and melt i meant welt they were curling up on me, the young ones had a black spore print and the older ones had a brown one. any how

am i the worst youve ever seen as far as it comes to describing something, i tried to follow the faq formula, tell me what i did wrong,

the camera when i try to load it back up it locks up my computer, since i had a scanner installed. they interfer with each other. any how

i hope im making progress dude, seriously im really trying not to piss you off. by the way it couldnt have been a inky one cause it maintained its shape for more than5 hours perhaps?

adios dude

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #2734859 - 05/27/04 01:54 AM (13 years, 1 day ago)

wow, you're the second person to be worried about pissing me off tonight, do I come across as an angry prick on here or something :wink:?

No, your description according to the FAQ was actually pretty good, the second post was the thing that had me scratching my head :smile:.

I find Coprinus micaceus growing like you describe a lot in the spring time, might be worth doing a google search for...

Peace,

DH

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: i brought my first mushrooms back! [Re: spores]
    #2734890 - 05/27/04 02:07 AM (13 years, 1 day ago)

ty so very much:D im gonna redo that second part maybe that might help you/ by the way im not very intersted into eating them so dont think im desperete for a high lol, just curious. ive never seen so many of them//// by the way the pattern of the gills was consistant, meaning that they were very straight werent curvy, or irratict even in the spore print! i had problems with the gills sticking to my fingers, it seems like its wanting to die on me really fast falling apart. the young ones are holding up the best almost no effect of age so far, some of them had a clear nipple on top others had a slight redish chestnut color

im gonna look up what both of you mentioned if i see it ill reconize it and make a note in notepad to add to my personal field guide :laugh:

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

#2734942 - 05/27/04 02:20 AM (13 years, 1 day ago)

Coprinus micaceus < looks alot like it in fact i think im sure that was it/ the other one that mj wasnt it those were much more fruiter looking and they had a ring around it
thanks!:D i did it

well you did it, how long did it take you all to get this good?

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
    #2737431 - 05/27/04 05:25 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

JoeyBond said:
as for welt and melt i meant welt they were curling up on me, the young ones had a black spore print and the older ones had a brown one.

do you mean "WILT"??

Definitions of WELT:
A strip, as of leather or other material, stitched into a shoe between the sole and the upper.
A tape or covered cord sewn into a seam as reinforcement or trimming.
A ridge or bump on the skin caused by a lash or blow or sometimes by an allergic reaction.
A lash or blow producing such a mark.

Definitions of WILT:
To become limp or flaccid; droop: plants wilting in the heat.
To feel or exhibit the effects of fatigue or exhaustion; weaken markedly: ?His brain wilted from hitherto unprecedented weariness? (Vladimir Nabokov).

To cause to droop or lose freshness.
To deprive of energy or vigor; fatigue or exhaust.

just givin ya shit. :smirk:

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
    #2737687 - 05/27/04 06:36 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

I think he's pretty eager, nothing wrong with that.
A noob will always get flack though...

get a camera for a positive id and keep trying, guy!!
:thumbup:

I like your enthusiasm

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: i brought my first mushrooms back! [Re: wandrnshaman]
    #2739861 - 05/28/04 01:27 AM (13 years, 22 hours ago)

Quote:

wandrnshaman said:
get a camera for a positive id and keep trying, guy!!

That and a few field guides for identifying mushrooms....

--------------------
To give is to live...

Invisiblematts
matts

Re: i brought my first mushrooms back! [Re: ATWAR]
    #2740296 - 05/28/04 03:49 AM (13 years, 20 hours ago)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: i brought my first mushrooms back! [Re: matts]
    #2740722 - 05/28/04 10:10 AM (13 years, 13 hours ago)

And JoeyBond, you can take a few shrooms into any copy shop anywhere in the world, lay them on the scanner and photocopy a shot onto the computer and then send the image to the shroomery. I have done this on a few ocassions where I had a few shrooms that were cool looking and no camera.

and it only cost me a few dollars for a half an hour.

While Kinkos runs $12 to $24 dollars an hour for use with scanner, most middle eastern copy shops in the U district here in Seattle charge $4.50 an hour for use of computer with scanner and ./50 cents a color laser proint. Many cities have these cheap internet shops and copy shops with computers for public use.

mj

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

#2743302 - 05/29/04 01:34 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for all the help, and i identified it as what you all said it was it was inky cap, the second well known one the one you said it was, i also identified some pan foes the other day just by looking at it and got a few books and looked it up and was right :laugh: im so proud of my self although the books did name it 2 different names
one was pan foe and the other was psathyrella foenicecii, very close to identical but what i found was pan foe, any how the funniest part was one of the library's i got three books from them about field guides, and all the good mushrooms even some that they had no idea about, those pages were conviently cut out lmfao supression from the locals. just thought id identify it adios

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2743471 - 05/29/04 03:15 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

They are all Panaeolina foenisecii, one of four species of from the genus Panaeolina.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Panaeolina foenisecii is a very common, cosmopolitan species (see Fig. 1). Appearing scattered or gregarious on lawns, grassy areas, and in meadows, the mushrooms are frequently observed in the early morning, sometimes wilted or gone by midday. It often is seen in close proximity with other fungus (such as Marsmius oreades (Bolt.:Fr.) Fr., Coprinus spp., Psathyrella spp., and Conocybe spp.) adapted to similair environments (e.g., lawns and grasslands).

Over the past 90 years, P. foenisecii has been placed in various genera, including Psilocybe (Ricken 1915), Coprinus (Michael 1919) and Psathyrella (Smith 1972). Taxonomic reference to the genus and synonyms for the species include the following binomials listed according to their chronological taxonomic description.

Panaeolina R. Maire, Treb. Mus. Nat. Barcel. ser. Bot. 15:109 (1933).
Type species: Agaricus foenisecii Pers.:Fr., Syst. Mycol. 1:295 (1821).
Typonym: Psilocybe Fayod, Ann. Sci. Nat. (Bot.) 7(9):377 (1889).
Panaeolina foenisecii (Pers.:Fr.) R. Maire (Haymakers).

Agaricus foenisecii Pers.:Fr., Syst. Mycol. 1:295 (1821).
Psilocybe foenisecii (Pers.:Fr.) Quelet, Champ. Jura. Vosges 1:47 (1872).
Drosophila foenisecii (Pers.:Fr.) Quelet, Enchiridion:117 (1886).
Psathyra foenisecii (Pers.:Fr.) Bert, Bull. Soc. Mycol. Fr. 17:227 (1901).
Panaeolus foenisecii (Pers.:Fr.) Kuhner. Botaniste 17:187 (1926).
Panaeolina foenisecii (Pers.:Fr.) R. Maire, Treb. Mus. Cienc. Nat. Barcel. ser. Bot. 15:109 (1933).
Psathyrella foenisecii (Pers.:Fr.) A. H. Smith, Mem. NY Bot. Gdn. 24:32 (1972).
Description of the cap, gills, stipe, and spores are presented below (see Fig. 1a).
References CAP: 10-3.5mm. Broad, narrowly conic to convex, bell-shaped with age, dry without hair, margin incurved when young, faintly striate when moist, dull cinnamon brown to reddish brown, sometimes zonate, becoming pallid and sometimes pitted and wrinkled. Flesh frayish white; taste distinctive.
GILLS: Ascending-adnate, subdistant, unequal, broad, ventricose, mottled with age. Edges even, white.
STIPE: 4-10cm. long. 1.5-3mm. thick, stiff hollow, nearly equal and slightly enlarged at base. Brittle and striate, with minute hairs at apex, smooth or grooved below. Whitish to pinkish brown. Annulus and universal veil absent.
SPORES: 11-18 6-9?m in size, dark vinaceous brown to dark purple brown, thick-walled, broadly elliptical, ornamental with spoty warts, pore at apex.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
mj

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

#2745013 - 05/29/04 08:43 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

mjshroomer i bow to you as the god of it all lol, thanks for that answer, i knew it was probably identified and classed in different genera , cause of the confusion in the old days and then refitting it to another genera, i just wanted to make sure. some of the books ive read date from 1950 to 1981 and 91. thanks thumbs up to you wise one

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification