Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: Bakedbeings]
    #27336519 - 06/05/21 06:39 PM (9 days, 11 hours ago)

"the definition youre asserting, "never exposing the mycelium to open air so as to maintain a sterile environment," makes perfect sense to me, but i just dont see much consensus around it. a lot of people (on this site) talk about taking the lid off and scraping off the verm layer or dunking the cake or leaving holes in the lid, and all of these things introduce outside air. pods tek, which you agreed was relevant, includes the option of watering the myc before the first flush which certainly breaks the seal"

Honestly i can't recall any vets doing a bottle grow and calling it invitro. I'm sure's it's happened but i don't think it's really that common. Amoung vets here, you typically see invitro used in reference to a sterile pin they're cloning from a jar or plate; Or explaining to newbs how to deal with invitro pins in a brf jar.
If you were to use pod tek with the opening to water variation of the method, then it would no longer be an invitro grow, just a bottle grow. Just cause the initial idea is a full invitro process, doesn't necessarily mean any way you expand on it continues to be invitro.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: LtLurker]
    #27336596 - 06/05/21 07:45 PM (9 days, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

LtLurker said:
Honestly i can't recall any vets doing a bottle grow and calling it invitro.

heres RRs reply to "does anyone grow invitro?"

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Here's a few of mine.  It's not really a valid tek if you want product within a given time.  It's also strain related, as many substrains won't fruit invitro no matter what.  The procedure is to colonize a jar, then remove the filter, or else leave the filter and remove the lid to increase air exchange.  This, and very bright light will trigger invitro pins.  Hydrating the cake or grains with weak brewed liquid coffee will help invitro fruiting too.
RR
[url=http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/05-10/056256190-grain_to_grain_invitro_2_004a.jpg][image]

the dictionary says it means "outside a living organism" so i guess everyones wrong...or...right? ...idk

:resignednonacceptance:

we've derailed this thread enough for today methinks

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: Bakedbeings]
    #27336642 - 06/05/21 08:40 PM (9 days, 9 hours ago)

Yea i think we just need to disagree. In the couple years i been year, it's just not my experience it's used that way. But sure, RR said that  9+ years ago. I dunno what you want me to say about that, sort by recent and even filter for TC's, it's not the impression i get either.

Definitions are flexible and vary in context and change over time. What a general dictionary says aren't necessarily the only definitions. Lotta science fields have their own little dictionaries. It's kinda neat.

Offlineout_of_step
Stranger
Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: LtLurker]
    #27337705 - 06/06/21 05:24 PM (8 days, 12 hours ago)

Thanks guys! Although some of it's straight over my head at the moment. (I know, I did ask!) I've actually had a mushroom grown in a bit of mycelium within my jar, altho the jar itself is unopened is nowhere near colonised. This was one of the jars which was very slow to take off and I experimented with leaving a couple of holes free in the lid. This is the way to learn really...to experiment!

Offlineout_of_step
Stranger
Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: out_of_step]
    #27337752 - 06/06/21 05:57 PM (8 days, 11 hours ago)

Question.....
If I decide to go down the shoebox route, do I still need fully colonised jars? Some are on 90-95% but if I'm breaking up the cakes is it going to matter much? I think maybe it does and there's more chance of contamination if they're not fully colonised.
I'm very grateful for all your input people! Thank you!

OfflineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: out_of_step] * 1
    #27337789 - 06/06/21 06:32 PM (8 days, 11 hours ago)

if your jar is fruiting before its colonized its contaminated or otherwise fucked

regarding your question, uncolonized grain will become contaminated if you remove it from the jar (if its not already). if you want to fruit a partially colonized cake you need to clean the uncolonized bits off very well

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#27338939 - 06/07/21 03:27 PM (7 days, 14 hours ago)

:whathesaid: Yea definitely a bad idea to birth early.

Offlineout_of_step
Stranger
    #27340275 - 06/08/21 03:25 PM (6 days, 14 hours ago)

I'll take that advice!

Offlinebarfly
Stranger

#27341629 - 06/09/21 02:58 PM (5 days, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

LtLurker said:
:whathesaid: Yea definitely a bad idea to birth early.

Good to know, cheers. Was planning on using two stalled BRF cakes as spawn like I did with the ice-cream-boxes a few pages back.

Those guys are slowly coming along. They're extreeemely slow growers, though...

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started