Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Loc: Flag
[CA] Major Stanislaus Sheriff’s bust takes $100 million in illegal marijuana off streets
    #27336685 - 06/05/21 09:19 PM (13 days, 22 hours ago)

Cannabis is legal in Cali. Why do the cops even bother with this ...

Major Stanislaus Sheriff’s bust takes $100 million in illegal marijuana off streets
June 5, 2021 - Modesto Bee

The Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department has completed a week-long, county-wide marijuana cultivation bust that resulted in the arrest or citation of 83 people, shutdown of more than 60 illegal grows and seizure of product worth nearly $100 million.

The joint-agency marijuana eradication effort ran Monday, May 31, to Friday, June 4, and “spanned all corners of the county,” according to Stanislaus Sgts. Luke Schwartz and Erich Layton. Led largely by the department’s Community Resource Unit, the enforcement was the result of a months-long investigation into illegal indoor and outdoor cannabis grows in the county.

Schwartz and Layton said illegal marijuana grows are one of the chief complaints that the sheriff’s department receives from the community, and the bust is the result of various tips and other investigations.

According to the sheriff’s release, the campaign targeted 64 grow locations and resulted in the eradication of 74,088 marijuana plants and 1,687 pounds of fully processed plants. Officials also seized 46 firearms and $172,347 in cash. The estimated street value of the illegal cannabis was nearly $100 million.

Authorities said 83 people were arrested, booked or issued citations for various violations. In addition, 26 of the locations had their power shut-off by local utility companies, 16 code enforcement referrals were made, and 13 warrants resulted in Child or Adult Protective Services referrals for what the press release called “unsafe living conditions wherein guardians were arrested for endangering their kids.”

Those arrested ranged in age from 18 to 67, and came from cities across the county including Modesto, Turlock, Ceres, Riverbank, Patterson, Newman, Grayson and Keyes. Out-of-county residents were also netted in the bust including residents of Palm Springs, Stockton, Daly City, Redwood City and Atwater.

Officials said the illicit grows were found in all types of neighborhoods representing a range of income levels and spanning urban and rural neighborhoods. While authorized and regulated marijuana cultivation was legalized when voters approved Proposition 64 in November 2016, illegal cultivation remains a problem as growers seek to avoid state regulations and taxes.

“We’ve got so many black market marijuana grows in our county,” Layton said.

Law enforcement continues to target black market cultivation in an effort to stem crime and other related issues these unregulated grows can cause. The press release noted that locations of these operations can become targets of “violent, take-over style home invasions” with armed assailants which can result in shootings, robberies, aggravated assaults, kidnappings and burglaries.

Authorities noted illicit grows can also have environmental impacts, including exposure to toxic pesticides, gaseous fumes and unabated fungal molds. Illegal grows frequently steal utilities from neighbors and others nearby, and also can result in human trafficking for less-expensive workers, according to the sheriff’s department.

The sheriff department’s eradication efforts were assisted by the Northern and Southern California teams from the Bureau of Cannabis Control and their Cannabis Enforcement Units, as well as Stanislaus County Public Works, Stanislaus Animal Services, Turlock and Modesto Irrigation Districts, Riverbank, Patterson and Stanislaus county code enforcement, PG&E, California Department of Fish & Wildlife, the sheriff office’s Special Investigations, Air Support & SWAT units, Fusion Center Crime Analyst/Statistical tracking team, Stanislaus Regional 911 communications center, and Waterford, Patterson, Hughson and Riverbank Police Services.

Animal Services was called for neglected dogs, cats, cattle, horses and a bull that were discovered during the busts. Authorities also arrested an out-of-compliance registered sex offender in the Airport District Tuesday afternoon, who was taken into custody.

After evidence and sample collection, the seized marijuana has been incinerated. The sheriff’s department has concluded its preliminary investigation and the cases have been referred to the Stanislaus County District Attorney’s Office for review and prosecution.

“We truly appreciate the assistance from all allied agencies who came together in order to make this operation a tremendous success. The community can rest assured we are dedicated to strongly regulating and enforcing all black market, cannabis-related laws,” said Stanislaus Sheriff Jeff Dirkse in a press statement.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAchuma
Aluminium Fedora
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smegmaguay
Re: [CA] Major Stanislaus Sheriff’s bust takes $100 million in illegal marijuana off streets [Re: veggie]
    #27336963 - 06/06/21 03:23 AM (13 days, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

The press release noted that locations of these operations can become targets of “violent, take-over style home invasions” with armed assailants which can result in shootings, robberies, aggravated assaults, kidnappings and burglaries.

This is exactly what happened.  Great job, police.  Thanks for your...armed robbery.

Cop stealing plants: "we're doing this to protect you from someone else doing this".  What a bunch of bullshit.

--------------------
Achuma's Psilocybe Extraction Pictorial

Pictured: crystalline extract derived from Psilocybe Cubensis.  See link for detailed instructions, as well as a lengthy discussion on the properties of light.

Offlinescreamshape
Stranger
Re: [CA] Major Stanislaus Sheriff’s bust takes $100 million in illegal marijuana off streets [Re: Achuma]
    #27337261 - 06/06/21 11:24 AM (13 days, 8 hours ago)

I agree the the cops steal people's stuff esp. their cash, but the article gives a great example to people who argue that decriminalization doesn't take the crime element out of the weed market

Edited by screamshape (06/06/21 11:25 AM)

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
Re: [CA] Major Stanislaus Sheriff’s bust takes $100 million in illegal marijuana off streets [Re: Achuma] * 1
    #27337273 - 06/06/21 11:33 AM (13 days, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

Achuma said:
...This is exactly what happened.  Great job, police.  Thanks for your...armed robbery.

Cop stealing plants: "we're doing this to protect you from someone else doing this".  What a bunch of bullshit.

I don't think we should be so hard on the cops. They do what they do because the laws are still crazy after all these years.

The way CA laws sets up the cannabis industry, and the way federal law still has it's little head way up inside that dark place, only big companies can afford to jump through hoops and grow legally. Most cannabis in CA is still grown and sold illegally because getting legal is way too difficult to achieve the promises made with Proposition 64.

One thing that really disappoints me is that there's not already a cannabis grow-kit industry and no legal way for a neighborhood grower to sell product at a farmers' market or with friends and neighbors. When I voted "yes" on the proposition, I expected that a big fraction of users would grow their own or grow for a circle of people they actually know. And that just hasn't happened. Instead, we have corporations trying to run the show, and sucking up police resources to bolster their monopoly.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Re: [CA] Major Stanislaus Sheriff’s bust takes $100 million in illegal marijuana off streets [Re: sonoramo] * 2
    #27337363 - 06/06/21 12:58 PM (13 days, 7 hours ago)

Imagine asking pepsi and coke to ensure you have clean tap water. they end up selling you bottled water

Imagine voting and asking politicians for decriminalization. They sell you a new ponzi scheme

--------------------
Everything you need in one spot.

My Q&A thread. Ask me questions here rather than in Private Message
Bod's chat thread
Buy Bod a beer:
BTC: 1G7roCpYmNp4VqnKySQeBkaFTc7JMzKLpL
ETH: 0x2091cE981af8129986C50AC0818e1aCA76076768
DOGE: DQNyGtUNHwYUrGECag1VRmMcf6QVeTY4V1

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: [CA] Major Stanislaus Sheriff’s bust takes $100 million in illegal marijuana off streets [Re: sonoramo] * 1
    #27337377 - 06/06/21 01:09 PM (13 days, 6 hours ago)

Quote:

sonoramo said:

One thing that really disappoints me is that there's not already a cannabis grow-kit industry and no legal way for a neighborhood grower to sell product at a farmers' market or with friends and neighbors. When I voted "yes" on the proposition, I expected that a big fraction of users would grow their own or grow for a circle of people they actually know. And that just hasn't happened. Instead, we have corporations trying to run the show, and sucking up police resources to bolster their monopoly.

I hear ya, I feel the same way.

People should be allowed to freely grow the plant and do what they want with it.

These massive grows likely wouldn't even exist if people were allowed to freely grow this plant like they are tomatoes, since the $ value of it would likely drop a lot. It would have to be federally legal in all states tho to work, even better if legal through out all of North America. Once it is legal everywhere and if anyone can grow it like any other plant, the value/cost of such would drop and I don't think we'd have all these large grows funding cartels/gangs still going on.

I understand it is a huge source of tax $ though...and if the gov has something to make $ off of they are going to set rules and control it with their own thugs to make sure they are getting their cut.

I'm torn between this...because part of me is "OK" with there being a small tax on the herb depending where that $ goes and how it is used (education and environment and fixing the "little things" in local communities is where I'd want to the tax $ to go, not into the pockets of law enforcement)....but another part of me feels that the plant should absolutely not be regulated/taxed/controlled in anyway by the government and people should be allowed to grow and do what they want with the plant freely, even if one wants to grow 1000+ plants.

I feel things can be done differently to let the "small guy", the "mom & pops" and small time growers into the market. It is ridiculous how much money it costs and how convoluted the process is, all the permits/licenses/inspections/etc, for one to start up a cannabis business...It is set up for those with deep pockets to fill up their pockets even more. I imagine the process to open up a bar/pub or a small time brewery/winery/distillery is much cheaper and easier.

I reside in the central valley of Cali close to the region where these busts in the article happened....There really are grows like in this article all through out the valley. It is super obvious (to me) what houses/properties have grows going on, and when looking at the area on google earth it's funny & crazy how many grows there are and how much weed is being grown around here lol, it's not hard and doesn't take long at all to find a big grow when looking at google earth lol...Even in my neighborhood, every single block has at least a few houses with backyards stuffed full of plants the size of small trees, no exaggeration lol.....One can smell dank in the air around here for 1/2 the year lol.

-OM

--------------------

Offlinedurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Re: [CA] Major Stanislaus Sheriff’s bust takes $100 million in illegal marijuana off streets [Re: openmind] * 1
    #27340619 - 06/08/21 08:36 PM (10 days, 23 hours ago)

Quote:

One thing that really disappoints me is that there's not already a cannabis grow-kit industry and no legal way for a neighborhood grower to sell product at a farmers' market or with friends and neighbors.

There are aquaponics and tractor trailer kits for what are presumably garden vegetables.

And, growers pay for the right to be declared "caretakers".

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
Re: [CA] Major Stanislaus Sheriff’s bust takes $100 million in illegal marijuana off streets [Re: durian_2008]
    #27341332 - 06/09/21 11:09 AM (10 days, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

durian_2008 said:

There are aquaponics and tractor trailer kits for what are presumably garden vegetables.

And, growers pay for the right to be declared "caretakers".

CitizenGrown is really interesting, and I'd never heard of it before. I'm not signing up, though, until somebody I trust agrees that I'd only be "leasing" space to CitizenGrown, rather than selling them the product.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service