Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRobiscuit
n00b

Is this contam?
    #27341244 - 06/09/21 09:51 AM (5 days, 20 hours ago)

I've got a couple tubs going from 4 BRF cakes per tub mixed with Coir. They were spawned on 5/19. Not the best overall conditions due to wild temp swings.

I am wondering if someone can tell me whether these whiter areas are contam or mycelium? If they are contam, what is it exactly? I think this sort of thing has been present in all the tubs I've made. It usually shows up around the corners. I guess I just thought it was different looking mycelium. They don't smell strange, and it has been there for the past couple weeks.

I was also wondering, what is the general wisdom on air conditioners running in the room where they are kept? I don't like running the AC in there but if I don't they'd be in 90+ degree temps which seems like it might be worse.

Last round of tubs I made like this came out okay, although they were probably a bit too wet, this time I think the coir may have been slightly under field capacity but the tubs end up looking really wet due to all the condensation. These pins have been there for about a week but they seem to have stalled for the most part. I had a couple brf cake jars fruiting in the same area with baggies and those fruits grew to full size very quickly. Could it be that they stalled because they ran out of water in substrate or is it more likely that there is contam or just poor conditions?

Thanks y'all.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Re: Is this contam? [Re: Robiscuit]
    #27341250 - 06/09/21 09:59 AM (5 days, 20 hours ago)

Don`t think that`s contam, looks like aerial myc.
It needs air, a lot of it.
I`d leave it open for a few hours now.

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

OfflineRobiscuit
n00b

Re: Is this contam? [Re: Goatrider]
    #27341314 - 06/09/21 10:56 AM (5 days, 19 hours ago)

Awesome, thanks! After a few hours should I try and elevate the lids slightly to give it a bit more FAE? I was thinking I could prop them up a bit using some rolled up foil or something.

InvisibleGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

#27341330 - 06/09/21 11:08 AM (5 days, 18 hours ago)

Cracked /unlatched lids are usually enough for passive air exchange.
You may also tilt the lid a bit.
But don`t overdo, if it dries out your surface gets matted.
If you see some standing water puddles, you can suck it up
carefully with a paper towel.

--------------------

OfflineRobiscuit
n00b

Re: Is this contam? [Re: Goatrider]
    #27341359 - 06/09/21 11:37 AM (5 days, 18 hours ago)

Ok, cool I had been doing that a bit with a paper towel when the condensation dripped down from the sides. The lids had been flipped upside down since spawn, never latched. I had also tried different angles so that they were a bit more open in the corners but it's really hard to tell how much is too much.

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

#27342036 - 06/09/21 08:26 PM (5 days, 9 hours ago)

your coir almost looks a bit dry to me underneath the surface. your surface conditions look pretty good though! it definitely would like some air tho, as goatrider said

do you have pics of your spawn? it could be a little bacterial too, which can cause weird mycelium

also, i have hot summers & run a window ac unit in my room. i just keep the tubs in the closet to avoid the fan & it goes fine. much better to run AC & keep temps under 86f if you can in my opinion. just make sure the AC isn't drying your tubs too quickly, otherwise you'll have to mist more often

--------------------
you're not the first to set foot here, just another

OfflineRobiscuit
n00b

Re: Is this contam? [Re: hazyhorse]
    #27342100 - 06/09/21 09:04 PM (5 days, 8 hours ago)

Yeah, I've got some pics. I suspect the coir may have been a bit on the drier side, I think it was slightly below field capacity. Last time I made shoe boxes it was way over so I think this time when it seemed slightly under I didn't want to add water because last time that put it way over. Hard to get that goldilocks field capacity at least for me.

Spawn day:

2 days later:

5 days later:

I left the lids off for 2 hours earlier today, then I put them back on slightly propped up with little rolled sticks of foil so they are less than 1cm raised up above the tub. Hoping this promotes a bit more FAE. I am concerned the surface is matted at this point, but is there anything I can do about that?

I barely mist at all because to me the surface always looks like it's wet and if I do it's one spray of the lightest possible mist with a hairspray mister.

One thing I've noticed is that I always get the nice beads forming on the surface which I assume is good, but they never seem to evaporate. They sort of just stay there like they are suspended in stasis or something. Then after a while they still look like nice beads but I get the feeling that they have changed somehow, sort of like how when you have water on the sides of the jars after a while it become like gelatin. Not sure if I'm making any sense but that's something I've noticed.

At this point I am wondering, if the sub is too dry below is there anything I can do? Would it make sense to try and dunk the whole thing at some point?

InvisibleGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

#27342341 - 06/10/21 01:47 AM (5 days, 4 hours ago)

The first pics are definitely too dry,
you can see by the colour of the coir.
Nevertheless your surface looks nearly perfect.
It usually behaves exact the other way,
so field capacity and bad surface conditions.
Have a look here, the video is for casing layers though,
but the principle is the same.
You`ll get there, your tubs will explode soon :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started