Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBuckomcdoogle
Backwoods distillation expert
 User Gallery

Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. * 1
    #27302853 - 05/10/21 12:57 PM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Electric cars are impractical.
I could see them working well for Europe just because of how much smaller it is geographically than the U.S

Imagine your tesla breaks down in some bumfuck town, you really think there's going to be someone who can work on your rolling computer?
Even if there was, I'm almost certain the local autozone carries almost 0 parts that are compatible with your car.

Not to mention if you are in some small town with a car like that you immediately come off as an ignorant city slicker with way too much money.

They aren't rugged enough to be relied on and you basically need a tech degree to work on them.
The infrastructure isn't there for the charging stations unless you live on the western most part of the west coast.
Anyone who owns a tesla seems like kind of a sucker to me.
Tesla has a horrible reputation for customer service, Ive heard multiple accounts where someone's vehicle broke down and getting it fixed was such a pain in the ass tesla just tries to incentivize you to buy a new one.

I think in a lot of ways trying to computerize cars is like trying to computerize firearms.
Tried and true machinery made overly complicated by technology, that ultimately makes reliability suffer.

A few weeks ago I saw an ad for an electric generator.... Like really? lots of use that will be if the power ever goes out long term.
We as humans we already way too reliant on technology, a move further in that direction just makes us more vulnerable to adversity.

New study explains why nearly 20 percent of electric car owners return to gas
https://thehill.com/changing-america/sustainability/energy/551207-new-study-explains-why-nearly-20-percent-of-electric

--------------------
"Nothing is more dangerous to your creativity than comfort and familiarity"

"Logic leads to nihilism..."

Edited by Buckomcdoogle (05/10/21 01:04 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: Buckomcdoogle]
    #27302864 - 05/10/21 01:06 PM (1 month, 2 days ago)

I've had exactly the same thoughts. It would take an astronomically huge investment to have charging networks match, say, the cell phone network, which after twenty years of struggle is mostly pretty good. Maybe such an expenditure is in Biden's infrastructure plan, I don't know.

And your further point about breakdowns is spot on. Auto zones and garages themselves are not equipped, nor will they be for many years, to repair a conked out Tesla. What the hell is one supposed to do?

InvisibleGnashingGnosis
Smash and Grab

Loc: In Your Face
Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #27302926 - 05/10/21 01:55 PM (1 month, 2 days ago)

We’re reaching a point where there’s no longer a choice whether we transition to electric or not. Global warming isn’t a conspiracy, it’s real and it’s happening. I don’t own an electric car myself. I just read that by 2027 electric vehicles will be cheaper to produce than gasoline vehicles. I have no idea how they figure that, and it’s probably not as simple as the headline made it sound. It will probably entail even more tax dollars being pumped into corporations like Tesla and the existing American brands which have traditionally produced gas cars. It’s not going to end well

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: GnashingGnosis]
    #27302944 - 05/10/21 02:07 PM (1 month, 2 days ago)

It will definitely be a bumpy road. And we must remember that electric vehicles are dependent on the grid, and the grid is making a huge carbon footprint. The grid is not green. I've often wondered why people overlook this.

InvisibleGnashingGnosis
Smash and Grab

Loc: In Your Face
    #27302951 - 05/10/21 02:10 PM (1 month, 2 days ago)

You’re right. And neither is the manufacture or mining of components for the electronics and batteries. I read a scary thing earlier today that 60% of the planet’s population will be forced into large cities within a few decades

Edited by GnashingGnosis (05/10/21 02:20 PM)

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: GnashingGnosis]
    #27303305 - 05/10/21 07:16 PM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Yeah, the processes and materials they use for the components, especially the batteries, are filthy. The same is true of solar panel disposal. There just aren't many good answers.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: Buckomcdoogle]
    #27304010 - 05/11/21 10:54 AM (1 month, 1 day ago)

If you're buying a tesla, you're probably buying the home charging station.

The range of new teslas is around 400 miles.  The average US commute is under 30.  Electric cars are more than sufficient to meet the majority of people's needs.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: badchad]
    #27304798 - 05/11/21 09:25 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

But they're still no good if components break, or for road trips.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#27305200 - 05/12/21 06:35 AM (1 month, 16 hours ago)

Point taken.  I know nothing about car components or how abundant the charging stations are.  I googled "tesla charging stations in kansas" and there's a handful (15-20).  With some planning you could probably deal with the range issue.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlineshockplague0
Stranger
Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: badchad] * 1
    #27340813 - 06/08/21 10:58 PM (3 days, 23 hours ago)

Most everyday commuters will probably go electric in the coming years, but I can't see commercial vehicles doing the same. It's not efficient for a working vehicle to run off of electricity. Not to mention maintenance costs once all these 1200 lb batteries start giving out.
Also fuck Tesla, and fuck Elon Musk

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

General Interest >> Science and Technology