Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

Loc: Cumtown
Multifractal's BRF->Bulk Growlog [Complete]
    #27310113 - 05/15/21 05:07 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Hello.

So I decided I'd like to document my progress in my first real attempt to cultivate fruiting bodies. I tried to post on the "Grow Logs" subsection but didn't see an option to, maybe due to my relatively low post count? In any case if I'm not supposed to make posts like this here please let me know.

Some months ago I inoculated 4 2-qt BRF/vermiculite jars with cubensis spores and let them go unchecked for around 40 days. By this point they were just about colonized but still had some time to go. I had recently read about extracting psilocybin from mycelium rather than mushrooms and was intrigued as this seemed like the easiest route. So rather than attempt to fruit I mixed the mycelium with 95% ethanol and used my freezer to aid in precipitation. I figured that nearly 8 qts of spawn would result in a decent extraction but the end result was rather disappointing.  After several extractions and evaporations I was left with a faint crystalline solid. If I had to estimate I would say it probably was no more than 10 mg all in all. A..."bioassay" revealed that it was indeed psychoactive but for all of the work I put into the extraction I felt the fruits of my labor was not well worth it.

So on May 11, 2021 I prepared 10 1/2 pint BRF/vermiculite jars. I do not have a pressure cooker so I simply steam sterilized them over the course of 90 minutes. For the record, the jars were in contact with the water and the bottom of the pot for the duration of the sterilization, which I know is not recommended. After letting the jars cool for about 6 hours, I took them to my freshly made SAB:

And inoculated each with a B+ spore solution contained in a syringe. I flame sterilized the needle after each injection. Unfortunately, I was having a bit of a struggle depressing the plunger in the substrate and accidentally shot one jars with around 3 ml of solution. This caused me to have to use much less for about 4 of the 10 jars but I'm not too concerned.

After each jar was inoculated I placed them in a cabinet:

Note that the jars are uncovered and the holes do not have micropore tape on them. When I colonized my 4 2-qt jars I left them uncovered like this and didn't have any contamination problems so I'm going to give it another go this way.

Today, about 4 days after inoculation, I checked my jars and saw the first signs of growth/spore germination in one:

(the jar with the purple "1" on it)
Exciting!

I plant to spawn these jars to a bulk coir substrate when they are done colonizing through the use of unmodified monotubs. If all goes well I'd like to spawn the cakes split between two 7.2 qt tubs or something like that.

Anyway, I will update this thread, as long as it's still here for updating, as time goes on.

If anyone has any pointers or constructive advice please share.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by multifractal (07/06/21 08:29 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMr.Wizard
Harbinger of Hallucination
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Grow Log (BRF jars -> bulk substrate) [Re: multifractal]
    #27310139 - 05/15/21 05:33 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Good luck!

One thing I would immediately look into is steam sterilization times. I PC my grain at least 2 hours. A 90 minute steam seems short - but if you've had success good on ya!

Invisiblearpeggiator
Surprisingly Coherent
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hyperspace
Re: First Time Grow Log (BRF jars -> bulk substrate) [Re: Mr.Wizard]
    #27310145 - 05/15/21 05:41 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Man you did your due diligence in reading up on teks! Nice job using the SAB and not wiping your syringe after flaming.

Excited to see how you do! Good luck man.

--------------------

Invisiblemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Grow Log (BRF jars -> bulk substrate) [Re: Mr.Wizard]
    #27312528 - 05/17/21 12:55 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Edited by multifractal (05/23/21 03:36 AM)

Invisiblemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

#27317903 - 05/21/21 06:54 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Just thought I'd put in a quick update. We're 10 days out from inoculation at this point. So far I'm seeing signs of germination in at least 7 out of the 10 jars. Very encouraging. I recently got an AA 930 pressure cooker and a bunch of free spores from some very generous folks. I'll be putting some AA+ to agar in the near future.

InvisibleAshtray161
SettledNomad
Other

Loc: Rugby, England
    #27317920 - 05/21/21 07:12 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

multifractal said:
Just thought I'd put in a quick update. We're 10 days out from inoculation at this point. So far I'm seeing signs of germination in at least 7 out of the 10 jars. Very encouraging. I recently got an AA 930 pressure cooker and a bunch of free spores from some very generous folks. I'll be putting some AA+ to agar in the near future.

Noice! :smile:

--------------------
(You Know What Time It Is)
Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27677086:elmo:
"You never have to prove the fool a fool, just let them speak."
Please, be an adult. Get vaccinated. Dont use psychedelics as an excuse. Dont come at me with some hippy dippy nonsense, GO GET VACCINATED.
Be Gay, Do Crime 161 1312

Invisiblemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Grow Log (BRF jars -> bulk substrate) [Re: Ashtray161]
    #27323225 - 05/25/21 10:15 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

I know this is just another picture of jars but I was so surprised to see how they caught up with each other. Strong, consistent growth in 8 out of 10 jars.

This is officially 2 weeks from inoculation.

As others have commented, MSS inoculation takes a long for germination to occur but once it gets started it is surprisingly quick.

Edited by multifractal (05/25/21 10:26 PM)

Invisiblemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Grow Log (BRF jars -> bulk substrate) *DELETED* [Re: multifractal]
    #27335691 - 06/04/21 08:33 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by multifractal

Reason for deletion: .

Edited by multifractal (06/04/21 11:31 PM)

InvisibleAshtray161
SettledNomad
Other

#27335802 - 06/04/21 10:58 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

10gBRF? In agar?

--------------------
Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27677086:elmo:
Please, be an adult. Get vaccinated. Dont use psychedelics as an excuse. Dont come at me with some hippy dippy nonsense, GO GET VACCINATED.

Invisiblemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

#27335813 - 06/04/21 11:12 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

yup

Quote:

bodhisatta said:

I personally like to use, in give or take this order
Grain Soak Water agar(save water from hydration of grain spawn add 20g/L Agar-Agar powder)
BRF agar (20g/L BRF and Agar-Agar)
MEA, malt extract agar. Use light malt extract for homebrewing at 20g/L
YPD, yeast peptone dextrose agar, I buy this premade and use as is
PDA, I just kind of wing this one every time I use it

Edited by multifractal (06/04/21 11:14 PM)

OfflineBig_Dub
I'm just some guy
Male

Loc: Los Angeles Flag
    #27338078 - 06/06/21 09:06 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Ashtray161 said:
10gBRF? In agar?

They love that shit :sporedrop:

--------------------
split_by_nine said:
click me you fuck

do the right thing

InvisibleAshtray161
SettledNomad
Other

Re: First Time Grow Log (BRF jars -> bulk substrate) [Re: Big_Dub]
    #27338851 - 06/07/21 12:24 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

I'll have to give it a try

--------------------

Invisiblemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

#27343683 - 06/10/21 09:46 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Tuesday, June 8th, was the 4 week anniversary of my BRF jar inoculation. I inoculated 10 jars. One jar never showed any growth, contamination or otherwise. Not sure what happened there but when I removed the lid to clean it out there was no noticeable smell and the substrate was still in good condition. Beats me. The other 9 jars are doing very well with the slowest one at about 75%. Today, June 10th, my fastest growing jar, in which I injected at least triple the amount of spore solution than used in any other, completed colonization. I noticed a strange looking object in the jar that, with great relief, I realized is a pin! This is officially the first mushrooms I have ever grown so feel free to make me a TC:

(the uncolonized part is just the verm layer)

It's a little difficult to see in the picture but in person the orange-brown cap is visible.

Edited by multifractal (07/06/21 08:35 PM)

Invisiblemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Grow Log (BRF jars -> bulk substrate) [Re: multifractal] * 1
    #27376888 - 07/06/21 08:26 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

So a lot has happened since that last post. 9 of my original 10 BRF jars colonized successfully. The first set of 5 took about 5 weeks and the last 4 took 6 weeks exactly. One jar was grated, mixed with coir, and spawned to a coconut husk outdoors. This was probably my most successful jar in terms of fruit produced I think.

One day later:

The mushrooms grew very quickly and 9 after spawning I harvested my first real cultivated mushroom harvest.

6 other jars went to an outdoor shoebox and 2 went to an indoor all using coir as the substrate. I found that the standard 4 - 5 times the mass of dry coir for in water for hydration left my coir extremely wet and vermiculite had to be added. For a shoebox I finally settled on 115 grams of coir, 500 ml of water, and two handfuls of vermiculite. This left the coir at about perfect field capacity but I'd say leaning towards wet. My first shoebox went directly outside with the lid off while the second was kept indoors with the lid on until about 60% colonization. The outdoor tub dried out very quickly and needed to be misted several times a day. It ended up producing many, many side-pins so I removed it from the tub and allowed it to fruit freely.

I managed to squeeze out a few relatively large mushrooms on the surface by adding a very wet layer of coir/verm to the top of the substrate and put it back into the tub.

I think in the future I will try a double-liner instead of the single layer one I used here to see if that helps with side-pins. After the surface mushrooms were harvested I buried the substrate under a layer of soil and coir in a shady spot in my front lawn to see if I could pull anything further from it. Weather is pretty much ideal for cubensis right now.

My indoor tub was covered in a shopping bag type fruiting chamber with a few holes poked in the top. I also got some side-pins with this one but I still got a moderate surface flush:

I ended up putting tissue segments of this mushroom on agar but it looks like one is contaminated already. Hopefully the other pulls through. I'd like to possibly cross the clone culture with a PE blob and see what I get.

After harvesting, I picked all aborts and drenched the substrate but it dried out in about 24 hours. It has been soaked and I am still waiting to see if I could produce anything additional.

Since the matriculation of these jars I've moved to grain and agar. I have 16 quart jars of oats colonizing currently of Melmak, TAT, PE, and albino Louisiana. I will be spawning to a few coconuts in a matter of days but I won't be updating this log any further.

Adios.

P.S. if someone with the ability to move this to Growlogs & Pictures sees this can you please do that? I didn't have the post count or something when I started this to post there.

Edited by multifractal (07/06/21 11:58 PM)

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Time Grow Log (BRF jars -> bulk substrate) [Re: multifractal] * 2
    #27376894 - 07/06/21 08:34 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

dude this pic is fuckin gorgeous.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds