Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Perlite, Rye Grain, Scales, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisible1Badfish
 User Gallery
Aquairum pump idea, good or bad?
    #2732947 - 05/26/04 05:16 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm pretty new at this so heres the question; CO2 is heavier so it settles at the bottom of the chamber, so what if my I drilled a few holes just above the layer of perlite and introduced fresh air from the top via aquairum pump. Will the settled CO2 be pushed out of the holes and be replaced by fresh air, or will it just stir up the CO2 just to settle later? BTW the holes would be plugged when not in use. Thanks.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDieCommie
Re: Aquairum pump idea, good or bad? [Re: 1Badfish]
    #2732991 - 05/26/04 05:24 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I think the idea that CO2 sinks in a small aquarium enviroment, is way over done....Sure CO2 may be more dense....but the properties of gasses arent such that a layer of CO2 only will form on the bottom....

I assume what your interestd in is just adding fresh air right? What I and many others do is put the pumps output hose under the water on the bottom....then the air will absorb water vapor....and go up through the aquarium and exit through small openings in the lid.

Invisible1Badfish
 User Gallery
Re: Aquairum pump idea, good or bad? [Re: DieCommie]
    #2733128 - 05/26/04 05:51 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I thought of that before but I didn't know if it would be practical though. If it's not too much trouble could you recommend an on/off schedule and how long the pump should stay on during those cycles? The container is 55 liters, Thanks.

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #2733133 - 05/26/04 05:53 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Leave the pump on 24/7

Invisible1Badfish
 User Gallery
Re: Aquairum pump idea, good or bad? [Re: niteowl]
    #2733176 - 05/26/04 06:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Talk about a instant gratifacation, thanks!

--------------------

Invisible1Badfish
 User Gallery
    #2733249 - 05/26/04 06:13 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Oh yeah, will any additional fanning be necessary?

--------------------

OfflineTripleB
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
    #2733289 - 05/26/04 06:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

nope, not if u got an air pump.. u might wanna check on it atleast 2x a day though, to make sure

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #2733574 - 05/26/04 07:31 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I generally take the lid off for a couple of hours, 1-2 times per day for light.

Fanning isnt needed if you keep the air pump on all the time.

Invisible1Badfish
 User Gallery
Re: Aquairum pump idea, good or bad? [Re: niteowl]
    #2734235 - 05/26/04 11:20 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Works real nice :headbanger:Thanks!

--------------------

OfflineBLuEFroG
Friend of Many

Loc: Eastern Coast
    #2734260 - 05/26/04 11:23 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

If you have a double pump (a pump with two hose fittings) a good way to get more airflow if you need it that is, is to go buy a t connector and send the two into one hose... you instantly double the air flow...

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #2734556 - 05/27/04 12:18 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Back when I had my pump hooked up it worked great , but I still fanned once or twice a day just to be safe.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2735335 - 05/27/04 04:30 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

He he he.....I like the way you think.

Ok here is something I came up with a while back. PMP Now this little guy has the air come up from the bottom and this is why.

The fundamental principal behind using air entrainment is to sufficiently mix the two (fresh air and stale air) together and then re-distribute them back into the environment in a more balanced way that is then more beneficial to the mushroom crop. Without this sufficient mixing of the gasses present within the grow space, the crops will remain stunted and will likely never reach their optimum potential.

With the poormans pod, the settling co2 air is met and diffused by a curtain of fresh air rising from beneath the Geo-lite surface. This rising flow of air is created from the air diffuser rod situated below the Geo-lite surface, which is powered by the air pump. The rising air pattern not only prohibits the heavier co2 air from settling down onto the bottom surface as usual but it also simultaneously diffuses the co2 with fresh air as it is distributed back into the environment or grow space where it can be put to good use.

In this way, the poor mans pod creates the same desired phenomenon as offered by more conventional means of air entrainment found in much larger-scale commercial applications where a mixing box is commonly used to accomplish this important task.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineNexxiss
Mushroom Mage

Loc: Mich,USA
Re: Aquairum pump idea, good or bad? [Re: Magash]
    #2735380 - 05/27/04 04:59 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

hehe i was going to say this dogs been ran over quite a bit latly by MAGASH. heh on his post on the pmp , about every 5 post their someone trying to put holes in the bottom , and he keep posting

"The fundamental principal behind using air entrainment is to sufficiently mix the two (fresh air and stale air) together and then re-distribute them back into the environment in a more balanced way that is then more beneficial to the mushroom crop. Without this sufficient mixing of the gasses present within the grow space, the crops will remain stunted and will likely never reach their optimum potential.
With the poormans pod, the settling co2 air is met and diffused by a curtain of fresh air rising from beneath the Geo-lite surface. This rising flow of air is created from the air diffuser rod situated below the Geo-lite surface, which is powered by the air pump. The rising air pattern not only prohibits the heavier co2 air from settling down onto the bottom surface as usual but it also simultaneously diffuses the co2 with fresh air as it is distributed back into the environment or grow space where it can be put to good use.

In this way, the poor mans pod creates the same desired phenomenon as offered by more conventional means of air entrainment found in much larger-scale commercial applications where a mixing box is commonly used to accomplish this important task."

hehe how Magash keeps his sanity is beyond me!

BTW Thx Magash:bow: it was my crazy aunts 1st time and so far she has 4 1/2 pint karo/water jars with wonderful little wispy white L's dancing around after 2 days! she just finished knockin up 12 jars 6 grain,used your rye tek!!>:bow:,6 wbs flour!!, everything turned out as you said it would!
opps i better stop before im banded for to long a post

Nex

:microwave:

--------------------
Nexxiss Reign
"as I looked into the Sun and realized the race is not to the swift nor Knowlege to the wise ..nee the yet strenth to the strong...nor Riches to the poor.But time and Chance hapenth to us all!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Perlite, Rye Grain, Scales, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation