Home | Community | Message Board

MycologyNow.com Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBrownBear
Warrior-Traveler
 User Gallery

2021 Outdoor Hydroponic Vegetable Garden * 2
    #27327247 - 05/28/21 11:12 PM (4 months, 23 days ago)

I grew hydroponic cannabis indoors for two years. I decided to give it up to pursue mushroom cultivation. I got really good at growing cannabis but the profit to risk just wasn't worth it for me. Also, only had space indoors for one or the other.

I didn't want to give up hydroponics but couldn't grow cannabis outdoors. So my wife suggested I take my hydroponic growing know-how and grow a hydroponic vegetable garden in the summer.

So my first crack at it last summer had mixed results. My cucumber plants rocked. I averaged 12 lbs. per plant over a 6 week harvest window. My tomato plants looked like they were going to be prolific and most likely would have been if I used better trellising for them. They got so heavy when the fruits began to grow that the trellis netting collapsed and the plants folded onto themselves. My italian sweet peppers did okay but felt they were lacking stability in the hydro buckets. My area had some heavy storms roll through and snapped a lot of branches off the stalks.

This season I decided to grow nothing but vine plants. I decided to stick with the t-fence posts but instead of using net type trellis, I opted for wire fencing. This should increase stability and weight capacity for my tomato plants.

This year I am growing cucumber, squash, zucchini, roma tomatoes as well as black cherry tomatoes.

These were a few days after germination.

These are roma tomato plants about a week and a half after germination.

These are my cucumbers, squash and zucchini two and a half weeks after putting them outside in the hydro garden.

Everything is growing in perlite. I will be putting the tomato plants out into the hydro garden tomorrow, if weather permits.

First couple of squash and zucchini of the season.

Cucumber plants are starting to reach the top of the trellis. Squash plants are looking beastly as well.

I harvested some cucumbers along with the zucchini and squash last week. Like last season, the first harvest week of cucumbers was okay but now I am picking them 8-16 at a time. Usually every few days.

Edited by BrownBear (07/05/21 04:14 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinebeadle
Re: 2021 Outdoor Hydroponic Vegetable Garden [Re: BrownBear]
    #27339826 - 06/08/21 09:26 AM (4 months, 13 days ago)

Very nice brother, keep us updated!

OfflineBrownBear
Warrior-Traveler
 User Gallery

Re: 2021 Outdoor Hydroponic Vegetable Garden [Re: beadle]
    #27340317 - 06/08/21 04:03 PM (4 months, 13 days ago)

Updated OP.

Offlinebeadle
    #27340720 - 06/08/21 09:58 PM (4 months, 12 days ago)

They look so good :thumbup: I might look into doing that next season:cool: mine are already in the ground and in buckets.

OfflineBrownBear
Warrior-Traveler
 User Gallery

#27340736 - 06/08/21 10:05 PM (4 months, 12 days ago)

Nice. I fell in love with hydroponics after a friend of mine talked me into growing hydro cannabis. Took me two years to perfect it now I have been branching off into other projects. This is my biggest grow to date.

Offlinebeadle
    #27341147 - 06/09/21 08:07 AM (4 months, 12 days ago)

right on brother! I can't wait to see the fruits of your labor soon  :popcorn:

OfflineBrownBear
Warrior-Traveler
 User Gallery

#27354953 - 06/19/21 10:51 AM (4 months, 2 days ago)

Op updated.

Offlinebeadle
    #27356778 - 06/20/21 08:03 PM (4 months, 21 hours ago)

Right on brother! They are Pristine :thumbup::thumbup:

OfflineBrownBear
Warrior-Traveler
 User Gallery

Re: 2021 Outdoor Hydroponic Vegetable Garden [Re: beadle] * 1
    #27375145 - 07/05/21 04:15 PM (3 months, 17 days ago)

Updated op to show continued progress.

OfflineFruitFlyMaster
Stranger

#27408633 - 07/30/21 05:45 PM (2 months, 22 days ago)

Great setup, plants look beautiful! :thumbup:

OfflineAwaken_Us
Stranger
    #27457925 - 09/06/21 08:12 AM (1 month, 16 days ago)

really cool project. ive been playing around alot with coco, basically hydro and ive had the idea to do something similar here over summer.

Southern hemisphere, so we have just hit the start of spring.

The cannabis hydro fertilisers and all the additives can be pretty pricey, then the equipment on top. What sort of ferts are you using for your vegetables, and do you find its still cost effective?

I do like not having to manually water plants though and having automation in place with monitoring and reservoir maintenance combined with higher yield and fast growth is cool.

Im wondering if theres a cheaper way to go about it, especially if i wanted to make a buck on the side with the excess vegetables at the markets.

OfflineBrownBear
Warrior-Traveler
 User Gallery

Re: 2021 Outdoor Hydroponic Vegetable Garden [Re: Awaken_Us]
    #27458276 - 09/06/21 03:11 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

I use general hydroponics flora micro and flora bloom. I use it with a 6:9 ratio or the lucas formula. I also use an amino acid additive and a b vitamin additive like ancient earth and b52 from advance nutrients. Advance nutrients are expensive but there are cheaper brands available.

I get excellent results. The hydroponic system is pricey to build but it is mostly a one time expense where you may have to replace some components here and there over the years of use. The nutrients are a bit expensive but are worth it to me. I buy 5 gallon jugs of the general hydroponics which is more than enough for the entire growing season.

If nutrient costs are an obstacle, you could mix your own dry nutrients.

OfflineAwaken_Us
Stranger
    #27459047 - 09/07/21 11:32 AM (1 month, 15 days ago)

Quote:

BrownBear said:
I use general hydroponics flora micro and flora bloom. I use it with a 6:9 ratio or the lucas formula. I also use an amino acid additive and a b vitamin additive like ancient earth and b52 from advance nutrients. Advance nutrients are expensive but there are cheaper brands available.

I get excellent results. The hydroponic system is pricey to build but it is mostly a one time expense where you may have to replace some components here and there over the years of use. The nutrients are a bit expensive but are worth it to me. I buy 5 gallon jugs of the general hydroponics which is more than enough for the entire growing season.

My only limited experience so far is running drain to waste systems, im guessing you are running some kind of recirculating system?

Im always about trying to work out most cost effective ways of doing things without compromising on quality/results. but having many different projects i try to do as much cost analysis before i go for it. i have plenty of space and a greenhouse, so would love to have a similar setup

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: 2021 Outdoor Hydroponic Vegetable Garden [Re: BrownBear] * 1
    #27500969 - 10/11/21 05:16 PM (12 days, 6 minutes ago)

Quote:

BrownBear said:

Or just grow the plants in the earth/soil....?...Unless you have terrible soil, the earth is loaded with nutrients that don't cost a penny.

What advantages do you notice growing in hydro and using all those resources/materials and $ versus growing the plants in the ground?

I mean it seems like a cool project, I just don't at all understand why one would want to grow this way outdoors if they have some soil/earth to work with? Growing plants in the ground is tremendously cheaper and uses way less materials/resources.

And when it comes to flavor, nothing taste better than something grown in real soil that is alive. Plants grown with roots in salty water just don't compare.

Quote:

Awaken_Us said:

Im wondering if theres a cheaper way to go about it, especially if i wanted to make a buck on the side with the excess vegetables at the markets.

Growing plants in real soil is tremendously cheaper than setting up and growing in a hydro system, and way way simpler, and gives better quality produce.

And real live soil only gets better over the years.

I've been using the same soil to grow my cannabis for 4 years now and it only gets better with each passing year.

I really can not wrap my mind around why one would prefer to grow a garden/produce in hydro outdoors if they have some soil/earth to work with.

-OM

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals