Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedeath_by_desire
me
Loc: In your mind!
Bacterial infection?!?! How to proceed?
    #2732330 - 05/26/04 01:12 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hi guys.. I'm new to the mushroom world but have had quite a bit of success for the start.

I ordered my syringe (equadorian strain) from a internet shop in the netherlands and have been following the PF tek (though with a few differences to the original found various websites).

I have a cool box as a terarium and filled it with wet perlite.
After a week and a half (introducing all in all 4 cakes after they each got finnished) I have decided that I have been infested with bacteria, not only because no pinheads have formed yet.
Everytime I draw back the plastic bag I have over it (to keep the humidity in) it smells quite strongly, I have put the cakes back in the jars and back in my heating room... before that I sprayed the jars and the bottom of the cakes+some alue foyl (to cover the jars up again with dissinfectant spray... (no idea if this will do anything) I also took out all the perlite (learning that it was obviously to wet which caused the infection since there was some standing water in the bottom) cleaned out the box and sprayed it with disinfectant and put new perlite in which I also sprayed with disinfectant...

so my question is.. how to proceed? i still have 3 cakes that haven't been removed from their jars. Should I throw the 4 that were in the terrarium before away or risk using them again to...
The bottom of the cakes smelled quite bad as well but not as much as the wet perlite itself...
Will the (what I think to be) infected perlite be ok to use again if I sterilize it in a oven.. and will the box be ok? I have decided to wait a day or 2 to see if it starts to smell again before I humidify the perlite...
What do you guys think.. thanks a lot!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
Re: Bacterial infection?!?! How to proceed? [Re: death_by_desire]
    #2733398 - 05/26/04 04:51 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Just throw that perlite in the oven for 3.5- hours on 300 Celcious and birth those new cakes you have waiting.(make shure you let the perlite cool down before placing in the terrarium with new birthed cakes)
Make shure you make the perlite moist and not drippy.

Also, take it easy with that disinfectant spray...you re not supposed to spray the cakes i think...Not even the perlite...Actually you dont really need that shit unless you have found that your house is full of nasty bacteria...

I find it more helpfull (and usefull and ecological) to clean the house. If the space is clean you dont need disinfectant , specially with cakes which dont contaminate easily.

GoodLuck!

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

Edited by Sterile (05/27/04 06:25 AM)

Offlinedeath_by_desire
me
Loc: In your mind!
Re: Bacterial infection?!?! How to proceed? [Re: Sterile]
    #2735337 - 05/27/04 02:30 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

OK... I haven't been using it really, I just took it now as a last resort to save everything.. no idea I just found it apropriat since my terrarium had gotten bacteria in it to dissinfect it.. safe is safe. And I realize that spraying the cakes probably does more harm than good but I just thought it might be a way to save the day all the same...

Anyway.. thanks a lot.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Bacterial infection?!?! How to proceed? [Re: death_by_desire]
    #2741637 - 05/28/04 01:24 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

You'll have to clean the whole thing.
Wash your terrarium very well with bleach and also use a little bit of bleach in the water you'll be using with the perlite.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures