Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Portable Greenhouse, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed!
    #27323071 - 05/25/21 09:42 PM (23 days, 17 hours ago)

Sorry for this long request but i have PE and GT cakes ready to put into shoeboxes with coir  for fruiting and I have been reading posts for hours and hours and days trying to figure the best placement for an ultrasonic humidifier (Vicks 4100?) in a small martha type greenhouse. Most of the posts that i've read are well over 10-years old and have conflicting information about placement of the humidifier, type of humidifier, whether to have it inside the gh on bottom shelf or piped in from the outside  placing humidifier above the gh? most agree that at least 2inch piping is necessary which is no problem however before i cut holes in the gh i want to validate any of the information since it seems it varies greatly in the posts and most information is from the last decade? Also, many posts suggest cutting slits or holes in the gh for FAE while others say just leave the door open to the 2nd shelf, is that information still relevant, or with newer technology now is something else recommended? GH is 40 inches wide x 20 inches deep x 60 inches height. Any experienced knowledge would be so greatly appreciated and sending hughe THANKS in advance!!!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Omer] * 2
    #27323078 - 05/25/21 09:47 PM (23 days, 17 hours ago)

Cubes don’t need a humidifier.  They do best if you prep your coir well, and keep the shoebox closed until they start pushing against the lid, then you can either put a plastic bag or another shoebox on top.  Humidifier Martha setups are more for oysters.  If your coir is off you may need to most or fan.

--------------------

InvisibleMycelium Juice
Here for the weed
 User Gallery

Loc: planet earth
Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Land Trout] * 1
    #27323083 - 05/25/21 09:57 PM (23 days, 17 hours ago)

If you click on the "SEARCH OUR FORUMS" tab above the search bar you can use advanced search options.
including the number of years back the search goes.  I use it ALL the time.  Will definitely help you narrow down your search to the most up to date info.

Good luck! :mushroom2:

Offlinedjbluntmagic
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Mycelium Juice] * 1
    #27323087 - 05/25/21 09:59 PM (23 days, 16 hours ago)

Everything I've read on this forum suggests to ditch the humidifier

OfflineCrackatoaS
Stranger in a strange land
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Over by your Mama's house Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: djbluntmagic] * 1
    #27323099 - 05/25/21 10:11 PM (23 days, 16 hours ago)

Ditch the humidifier and thrmostat, heating pads and all that. If you were doing pans I would suggest otherwise but.... Shoebox them bitches and with clean spawn you'll have GT in half the time of the PE. You will need a casing layer after colonization though. Here's a link on shoeboxes.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26009662#26009662

OnlineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Omer] * 1
    #27323731 - 05/26/21 12:10 PM (23 days, 2 hours ago)

the reason all the humififier advice is old is because nobody uses them anymore. spawn your tubs, follow a trusted shoebox tek, you can keep them in your martha if you want but leave the tops on for a good microclimate, youll be fine

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Bakedbeings]
    #27323777 - 05/26/21 12:44 PM (23 days, 2 hours ago)

Grazie yes shaperdreamer is who I have been following for shoebox tek

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: djbluntmagic]
    #27323778 - 05/26/21 12:44 PM (23 days, 2 hours ago)

where are you reading that?

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Omer]
    #27323805 - 05/26/21 01:06 PM (23 days, 1 hour ago)

Quote:

Omer said:
where are you reading that?

Huh? What?

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Bakedbeings] * 1
    #27323852 - 05/26/21 02:08 PM (23 days, 49 minutes ago)

Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
the reason all the humififier advice is old is because nobody uses them anymore.

They do on Reddit, which is another reason no to use one.  Reddit shroomers will spend $200 to grow 7 grams and be like “my first successful grow”

--------------------

OnlineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Land Trout]
    #27323861 - 05/26/21 02:19 PM (23 days, 39 minutes ago)

Quote:

Land Trout said:
Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
the reason all the humififier advice is old is because nobody uses them anymore.

They do on Reddit, which is another reason no to use one.  Reddit shroomers will spend $200 to grow 7 grams and be like “my first successful grow”

lol well full disclosure - i use one - i know its not necessary but i already bought it and it saves me a bit of time misting when the weather gets dry, so whatever. maybe i need a reddit account

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Bakedbeings]
    #27325830 - 05/27/21 10:37 PM (21 days, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
Quote:

Land Trout said:
Quote:

Bakedbeings said:

lol well full disclosure - i use one - i know its not necessary but i already bought it and it saves me a bit of time misting when the weather gets dry, so whatever. maybe i need a reddit account

I mean if you already bought one why not use it. After a certain point you have trained your eye to tell you what the moisture levels are. I would say that is the only device I have not bought to grow cubes but if you took a truthful poll most seasoned growers would have probably bought one when they first started out.

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: CocaineBuffet]
    #27326036 - 05/28/21 01:09 AM (21 days, 13 hours ago)

Some people have beautiful grows using them. A dialed in tub and won't have to mist or fan. You could spawn and not look at till you harvest. I'm sure you will use it though. Not because of anything other than you'll wanna try pans one day and you'll need it. Pay attention in discussion and pic of the day and you'll notice who uses tents for cubes and ask some questions. Where there's a will, there's a way.

InvisibleveggieM

Loc: Flag
Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Crackatoa]
    #27326062 - 05/28/21 01:36 AM (21 days, 13 hours ago)

:whathesaid:

Hey, Crack. That TC tag looks pretty damn cool under your name. :cool:

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: veggie]
    #27326086 - 05/28/21 02:07 AM (21 days, 12 hours ago)

It does fit well :lol:

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Crackatoa]
    #27326502 - 05/28/21 11:47 AM (21 days, 3 hours ago)

Crack, i though about commenting to your first post on this thread how you were a trustable cultivator.  Glad you got the badge!

--------------------

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Land Trout]
    #27326837 - 05/28/21 04:52 PM (20 days, 22 hours ago)

hey Crack totally appreciate you taking the time for me!! so I gather if I use shoeboxes with coir that I really don't even need a greenhouse? I've just had such shit luck with using a shotgun box and keeping my cakes right during colonization so far which is why I got a gh BUT maybe I've been following OLD advice!!! so I take it newer tek than I've used is saying no humidifiers so I need to start my research over again!?! I've got some PE and GT colonizing now so want to get off on the right fruiting foot this time but it seems way more complicated than it has to be I think? this time I have the jars on a shelf and figured the gh for fruiting with a heater for constant 75 and humidifier in keeping constant humidity over 90%. Am I missing something that newer tek has to offer?

OnlineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27326919 - 05/28/21 06:18 PM (20 days, 20 hours ago)

the shotgun has way too many holes. thats why you have to constantly spray it or hook it up to a humidifier

check this out

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26140339/fpart/1/vc/1

or this

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22337800

OnlineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27326925 - 05/28/21 06:22 PM (20 days, 20 hours ago)

Edited by Bakedbeings (05/28/21 06:25 PM)

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#27327077 - 05/28/21 08:44 PM (20 days, 18 hours ago)

I used one of those greenhouses in a cold room, I replaced the greenhouse material with reflectix and the lights would keep it around 70°, plus the reflectix blocked the light so it did t look like I was doing a grow from outside.  But once the temps warmed up and the days got longer I got rid of the thing and just had my totes and tubs sitting in stacks in the floor.  The greenhouse worked for well for what I was doing, but it was nice to not need it.

--------------------

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27327112 - 05/28/21 09:09 PM (20 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

Omer said:
hey Crack totally appreciate you taking the time for me!! so I gather if I use shoeboxes with coir that I really don't even need a greenhouse? I've just had such shit luck with using a shotgun box and keeping my cakes right during colonization so far which is why I got a gh BUT maybe I've been following OLD advice!!! so I take it newer tek than I've used is saying no humidifiers so I need to start my research over again!?! I've got some PE and GT colonizing now so want to get off on the right fruiting foot this time but it seems way more complicated than it has to be I think? this time I have the jars on a shelf and figured the gh for fruiting with a heater for constant 75 and humidifier in keeping constant humidity over 90%. Am I missing something that newer tek has to offer?

No, if your comfortable they are as well. Shoeboxes are awesome for soo many things. Newer Teks offer simplicity. You'll dig shoeboxes and then you'll move on to mono's or skip right to it. Mono's are awesome when you know you clean spawn. SGFC require more watching than I like. Sadly we all overly complicate the process, thinking we need something more than patience.

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27330417 - 05/31/21 04:11 PM (17 days, 22 hours ago)

thanks crack!! well I was doing shoeboxes because I thought that was most proven results but with your knowledge and experience saying mono I think I'll start doing research on monos as it seems that might be more the direction I want to dig towards.. now I need to make sure that my spawn stays clean so have to start researching pics on contains because I'm seeing some green in a couple jars? your suggestion, "throw them out immediately"?

OnlineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27330418 - 05/31/21 04:13 PM (17 days, 22 hours ago)

toss

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27330429 - 05/31/21 04:27 PM (17 days, 22 hours ago)

:cringe::whathesaid:

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27332435 - 06/02/21 12:00 PM (16 days, 2 hours ago)

so any sign of green separate and toss immediately? seems there are a few now:eek:

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27332564 - 06/02/21 01:52 PM (16 days, 1 hour ago)

Yeah, once the green starts it's over with.

Offlinestreetpriced
Stranger

#27332912 - 06/02/21 07:09 PM (15 days, 19 hours ago)

Love to see the age of posts

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: streetpriced]
    #27333010 - 06/02/21 08:30 PM (15 days, 18 hours ago)

thanks crack!!! I've looked at several posts and I have yet to see the answer to the question I'm going to ask you? when you see mold such as the green mold I see do I need to separate that from the other jars as soon as I see it? I guess what I'm trying to ask is it contagious to the other jars even though there's micropore tape? should I dump those jars in the trash? can I save the jars themselves? or do I sh** can the whole thing? and when looking is it even the slightest bit of green or does it grow out of it? sorry I know nubeeee!! :smile:

OfflinePBJ710
Strangler

#27333069 - 06/02/21 09:42 PM (15 days, 17 hours ago)

The mold won't transfer from jar to jar.  Your jars *should* all have a dry vermiculite layer at the top that prevents any external contaminents from getting to the BRF nutrition source inside.  If you see ANY green before you at least have pins, it's pretty safe to just toss it.  If you have pins already alot of the time you can win the race enough to get some fruits before the spawn succumbs to the green monster.

Just dump them outside in a trashcan so you don't load your house down with unneeded mold spores, but the jars/lids are fine to reuse after thoroughly washing with soap/water.

OfflineNinjaZX-14
Stranger
Male

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: PBJ710]
    #27333153 - 06/02/21 11:11 PM (15 days, 15 hours ago)

I'm a brand new cultivator and brand new to the site.

I have a martha with external humidifier - house of Hydro 3 disk atomizer. I have it feeding in at the top, with exhaust fans at the bottom.

I built it before I realized a lot of the newer tek was to go without.

The honest truth is it's not necessary, but it's been good for my peace of mind.

My results so far are one shoebox in FC now, I'm pretty happy with it. It's got a pretty evenly distributed set of pins and looks like it'll be a successful first effort.

I run humidity up and down between about 93% and 80% RH. The exhaust fans are on a cycle timer. On 5 mins (to encourage FAE), off for 15 mins (the humidifier runs and brings in fresh air).

Honestly there seems to be a lot of ways tune it to get your target humidity range. I keep a space heater in the same room to eliminate low temperatures. There's a window ac in an adjacent room to cool when too warm.

My atomizer stopped working for a few days last week, so I switched to misting and fanning - it wasn't too much of a burden. The atomizer is working again so I don't feel like I have to do as much; but I'm still up there every few hours admiring the new pins!

Good luck!

OnlineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: NinjaZX-14]
    #27333214 - 06/03/21 12:49 AM (15 days, 14 hours ago)

sounds like a great setup for growing pans, and now you know if you fill your tent with pan-cakes you can still do cubes in tubs on the side

OfflineNinjaZX-14
Stranger
Male

#27333295 - 06/03/21 03:01 AM (15 days, 11 hours ago)

That might be something to look into.

I need to get cubes up and running first. I've been promising my wife something for a few months now.

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: NinjaZX-14]
    #27333308 - 06/03/21 03:23 AM (15 days, 11 hours ago)

Shoebox is simple and easy and takes care of itself without having to drill holes.

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27333595 - 06/03/21 10:22 AM (15 days, 4 hours ago)

thanks Dennis! great to talk to a beginner!! noob to noob your first grows sound way more awesome than mine were!! I had a full-blown gh then got a Martha setup and then started reading more and getting more advice and now I haven't even setup my Martha because I'm feeling that shoebox tek or mono seems to be what all of the experienced cultivators have turned to? I'm waiting for the myc stage to finish and then want to try shoebox and mono since I'll have about thirty jars this run. I just hope I can keep what crack calls the green monster at bay long enough this time to get pins! I'm ready to innoc thirty more jars but this time I made a 122 qt glove box to see if my results are stronger than the oven method. I'm also now using micropore tape over the supplied  holes in the jars I get even though Midwest says it isn't necessary? next run I'm going to try making my own jars with a 23 qt canner and some of the tek I've saved from here.  just wondering if oatmeal or other grain is better? lots of experimenting with this new hobby but a lot of FUN also, if only I can get some little heads popping up soon ....

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27333621 - 06/03/21 10:43 AM (15 days, 4 hours ago)

thanks crack I needed that as I was worried it may get picked up in the air or vicariously for all I know! so crack as a noob should I stick with shoeboxes this go and give the mono a try next run or do you think I can run the two at the same time? should I throw the shoeboxes in a Martha or just treat them like the mono tek I've read from shaper? also there are so many different grains to go with it seems when I do start making my own jars, in your opine what is the most braindead since I don't have as many cells up there as I once had? getting ready to innoc the rest of the jars I bought from Midwest supplier and then ready to start making my own.

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27333717 - 06/03/21 12:17 PM (15 days, 2 hours ago)

You can run both at the same time without issues. I do suggest shoeboxes till you know your spawn is clean. Shoeboxes are great for learning and for questionable jars of spawn. Treating them like shaper suggests works perfectly. I suggest making your own jars asap, for cleanliness and it's cheaper. My no prep millet Tek is insanely easy but millet can be hard to find. Oats and bird seed are easy to find and easy to prep.

OnlineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27333770 - 06/03/21 01:22 PM (15 days, 1 hour ago)

whole oats

also SAB not glove box

OfflineNinjaZX-14
Stranger
Male

#27333779 - 06/03/21 01:30 PM (15 days, 1 hour ago)

Hey Omer,

Well, grows (plural) might be an stretching it. Lol

I have a single 12qt SB that is pinning like crazy, and looks like it's going to survive to yield my first fruits.

I've wasted a few jars of grain that failed colonize. I think they were too cold - added a space heater about a week ago when I saw temps in the 60s

Each of the last 2 weekends, I've prepped and inoculated 4 jars worth of grain. I get a SB out of each 2qt of spawn, so that's 3 or 4 shoeboxes in the pipeline.

I have a total of 6 12qt shoeboxes that I'd like to get going round robin.

You'll definitely benefit from a PC, and buying grain in bulk. It's a lot cheaper, and not much extra work.

I'm starting to investigate agar - nothing to report except that I think I'm over due to learn about it. My grain colonization has been iffy, I think going from agar will be more reliable and quicker. I delayed learning because it seemed intimidating.

Just about every expert recommends learning about agar and encourages noobs to learn. I think its because it's not really that hard and it increases the reliability of your efforts.

Good luck!

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27333790 - 06/03/21 01:38 PM (15 days, 1 hour ago)

Dennis, what have you been using to knock up your grain? Spore syringe?

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27333856 - 06/03/21 02:58 PM (15 days, 27 seconds ago)

perf I'm off to research agar now to infinity and beyond!

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27333869 - 06/03/21 03:12 PM (14 days, 23 hours ago)

thanks crack again as always I appreciate your expertise!! I've looked all over the threads for your millet recipe and although I see lots of others I don't see yours anywhere?

OfflineNinjaZX-14
Stranger
Male

#27333954 - 06/03/21 04:38 PM (14 days, 22 hours ago)

Yes, spore syringes.

One set never even showed any colonization.

The other set showed really REALLY slow colonization.

After about a month or more I had 2 jars with something approaching full colonization - also lots of signs of drying out.

I was worried the mycelium and grain was too dry, so I soaked the grain jars for 12 hours before S2B. It's been going like crazy - 7 days to fruiting, another 7 days to first pins, now pin distribution seems pretty dense and even (3 days after first pins).

But yeah, I think with agar my colonization times will decrease. I haven't had much trouble with contamination so I think it will be more a matter of practice - and picking up a few more items. Lol

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27334097 - 06/03/21 07:11 PM (14 days, 19 hours ago)

Quote:

Omer said:
thanks crack again as always I appreciate your expertise!! I've looked all over the threads for your millet recipe and although I see lots of others I don't see yours anywhere?

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27318708/gonew/1#UNREAD

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27335013 - 06/04/21 11:22 AM (14 days, 3 hours ago)

so weird!! I wrote a reply and asked yet another NOOB question yesterday and posted but it'd not showing up now? at any rate Crack I read your post on millet and just wondering since I am using 1/2 pint jars left from buys from Midwest does that mean 1/8 cup millet and 1/16 cup water per jar? or any your expert opine should I scrap those and buy some quart wide mouth jars to start over with?

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27335021 - 06/04/21 11:31 AM (14 days, 3 hours ago)

Also after reading your post, I am wondering as a naive noob would, when you PC the jars of millet you say nothing about putting lids on the jars? do you pc them open? haven't used the PC yet so didn't know one could do that as I thought the built up pressure would explode the contents without lids on them?:eek:

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27335057 - 06/04/21 11:57 AM (14 days, 3 hours ago)

If you're going to start going to shoeboxes and monos eventually. You're going to wanna get quart jars to keep you from Soo many little jars. I've kept my little half pints to use for LCs since you don't need allot to knock up several jars. Sorry that I didn't add that in there but yes, throw lids on before PC. You can leave them a little loose so they're not tight or you can modify the lids. All of mine are drilled and covered with a synthetic filter disc. I ran 2 layers of MP tape for awhile and pillow stuffing before that. The synthetic filter discs are awesome. You can even get the ones that are like stickers.

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27335237 - 06/04/21 02:12 PM (14 days, 46 minutes ago)

Kool thanks Crack!!!  I've been reading up on agar and its uses but now wondering if the first time out I should just buy some pre-made from amazzzzzon? doesn't really look that difficult to make but .... but NOW the MOST moronic question i may (probably but not definitely!) ask all day!! does one use agar as a substitute for substrate? does one still have to inject the agar? how the hell do the spores get migrated onto the plates of agar? im sure in some little niche in the posts i have not seen yet this is explained BUT all i see are references to scalpels and such after the myc starts growing? do i need to dissect a shroom to get tissues to put on an agar plate????? :syringe:

i feel REALLY stoopid writing this BUT ....

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27335280 - 06/04/21 02:51 PM (14 days, 7 minutes ago)

It's all good brother. Agar is just a medium to clean. You can put a drops of a syringe, rub a swab across across. After awhile the myc will grow. Your first plate is called the germination plate or T-0. Once it grows use your scalpel to cut a tiny piece, grain of rice sized, and transfer to a new agar plate. You keep transferring till you can clean beautiful myc. Most transfer 3 or 4 times to know you have no contamination. Once you have a clean plate. You drop it into a jar of grain or bag. I go jar. That jar is your master jar that you can use for grain to grain transfers expanding it as much as you want. Ask any question your want :thumbup:

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27335305 - 06/04/21 03:17 PM (13 days, 23 hours ago)

thanks crack for not making me feel like a complete idiot on this!!!  so T-0 i would use a syringe to innoc and then after the first its another way of innoc the millet instead of using a syringe? because its already myc and not spore, it has less chance of contamination? i have a few left over spore syringes so i would take the spores from those and innoc the agar plates? how many cc’s do i inject into T-0? and then when i scalpel the rice size of agar myc into the millet jar, is 1 rice kernel enough for the quart jar of millet?

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27335392 - 06/04/21 04:48 PM (13 days, 22 hours ago)

Yeah, your first you would just a drop from a syringe. Only need a drop. When working with a print I use a sterile swab to rub on the print and then rub across the plate. Once you get a clean culture on the agar you use it knock up some millet or whatever grain you wanna use. It's less chance of contamination as long as your plate is clean and your technique is good when transferring. When you take transfers from one plate to another you use a very small piece. When you're using it for a jar of grain you can use the whole plate or just a slice from it. Like a pizza slice. One rice kernel will do it but it will take awhile. There's a great write up on cleaning and isolating on agar. I feel like it's a requirement to read through it. It's an amazing write up.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18430998#18430998

OfflineNinjaZX-14
Stranger
Male

#27335459 - 06/04/21 05:45 PM (13 days, 21 hours ago)

I just read up on Pans - definitely sounds like something worth doing!!

Thanks for the nudge, also noticed at least one of the sponsors carrries spores!

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27335463 - 06/04/21 05:51 PM (13 days, 21 hours ago)

grasie crack i just read his experience and looking forward to trying the agar plates i just bought from the only LEGAL location in the US? Denver’s Lion’s Mane i think Denver is geared towards legalizing soon 👍🏻 at least it is decrimmed there now. in reading the plate tek i was kind of blown away when he said to sterilize the scalpel outside the SAB as i thought it was important to sterilize inside the SAB? have i missed sumthin? also will new hobby knife blade work as scalpel?

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27335488 - 06/04/21 06:23 PM (13 days, 20 hours ago)

Yeah, I used an exacto for awhile. A number 7 scalpel handle feels great on the hand though. It's a slow upgrade thing though. Lots of people use exacto's without issue.
Yes, flame sterilize outside the SAB. 2 reasons. Most use a torch of some kind to sterilize. Cause lighters suck. A torch is going to cause turbulent air. #2 you're wiping everything down with alcohol and have a paper towel saturated as well. You'll end up with a small explosion or fire with a torch in there. Thankfully it's been awhile since I've heard of somebody doing that. I do understand why you would think that inside is better. With a flaming hot blade you'll have enough time to make a quick fluid motion into your SAB.

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27335608 - 06/04/21 08:52 PM (13 days, 18 hours ago)

Kool thanks again crack because I bought a torch that I could actually put inside my SAB! :eek: I'm glad I asked!! but when I innoc jars I would put my little alcohol lamp inside the SAB to keep the syringe needle sterilized in between jars correct? my SAB is 122 quart size so I think there is room. Gonna try the potato agar plates I bought at the shroom store tomorrow when not so sto-ned :smile: I'll take pics to document and I think it'll be cool to see the myc up close and personal! :stoned:

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27335659 - 06/04/21 09:56 PM (13 days, 17 hours ago)

Torch always out of the SAB, even with syringes. The needle will stay hot enough as well. No problem, cant wait to see.

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27337592 - 06/06/21 03:51 PM (11 days, 23 hours ago)

no alcohol lamp? how will I keep the needle sterilized? or is that only for using open oven method and with the SAB one does not need to sterilize the needle between jars? that would be great actually! also which TEK crack do you suggest in making the lids for the wide mouth quart jars that will stand up to the PC?:rolleyes:

OnlineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27337695 - 06/06/21 05:19 PM (11 days, 21 hours ago)

you shouldnt need to resterilize the needle between jars in a sab, provided it doesnt touch anything nersty

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27337782 - 06/06/21 06:26 PM (11 days, 20 hours ago)

nice baked!! thank you I'll try to keep away from nasty things in there :smile: I'll just have a couple of iso soaked paper towels inside the SAB.

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27337892 - 06/06/21 07:55 PM (11 days, 19 hours ago)

hey CRACK another NOOBIE la pregunta! Although I have used pressure cookers several times for other things, food mainly, I've read several posts re: PC but see nowhere how much H20 is required to sterilize the quarts? are they covered in water or does one just fill the pot to the min line or the max line? or is water NOT supposed to go over the lids? I know STOOOOOOPID but want to do it right :mushroom2:

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27337897 - 06/06/21 08:01 PM (11 days, 18 hours ago)

They say it's a minimum of 3 quarts I think. I add water till it's about half way up the jars. Don't forget to vent for 10 min., again, rather tell you something you know than you have an issue because I assumed some shit.

OnlineBig_Dub
waiting
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #27338072 - 06/06/21 11:01 PM (11 days, 15 hours ago)

3 quarts is usually the minimum.

Look up the manual for your PC

--------------------
Math is life
Salvia Divinorum Grow Log

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Big_Dub]
    #27338685 - 06/07/21 11:55 AM (11 days, 3 hours ago)

Thanks again Gentlemen! I'm still waiting for it to arrive but will look as soon as I get it. Quicki question: Is one lid eek better than another for PC? I've read some say go plastic and others say Shit NO only use metal? I bought some plastic ones off eBay and some metal ones off etsy BUT I would rather make my own but want them to be able to handle the pressure of the PC and still be economically feasible! Etsy sells some for 7.00 each!!! are they that much better???? I've looked at most posts re:lids and they all seem practical but is one TEK better than another?

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27338734 - 06/07/21 12:36 PM (11 days, 2 hours ago)

I haven't found one to be better than another. They all have their ups and downs. Plastic one piece may warp a little. Never had the narrow mouth warp, only the wide mouth. Metal 2 piece lids, if you flip it rubber side down it'll seal and be a bitch to come off. If you flip it over it'll slid all over the place. I use both, I like my plastic lids and my 2 piece lids. I've taken several of my two piece lids and ripped the rubber seal out so they wouldn't seal and won't slid like a flipped lid. I've used poly stuffing, micropore tape and sfd stickers. I like the stickers the best cause I don't have to tape or stuff poly in holes. But I don't even wash my lids anymore. I'll wipe the inside and that's all. The PC is going to kill the bad shit.

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27338792 - 06/07/21 01:34 PM (11 days, 1 hour ago)

nice!! so if I just drill a couple 1/4 in holes and micropore the holes ill be in good shape as far as innoc and FAE in the jars, etc? or should I drill a hole in the middle and put RTV in the hole and micropore the other two on the side?

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27338795 - 06/07/21 01:40 PM (11 days, 1 hour ago)

Just one in the center with 2 layers of micropore.

Edited by Crackatoa (06/07/21 01:43 PM)

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27338972 - 06/07/21 03:52 PM (10 days, 23 hours ago)

PERFECT!!!! thank you kindly my friend!!!!! gonna start the pre-made agar plates today in the SAB

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27338989 - 06/07/21 04:03 PM (10 days, 22 hours ago)

quick question Crack after one innocs an agar plate where does one put it for optimal myc? I ask because the agar plates have to stay refrigerated but it doesn't make sense to put an innoc plate back in fridge?:confused:

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27339012 - 06/07/21 04:22 PM (10 days, 22 hours ago)

You can put it on a bookcase, just wrap it up. I put mine where it gets ambient light, sometimes too much sunlight. I usually just stack them on my flowhood or right next to it on my shelf.

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27339171 - 06/07/21 06:36 PM (10 days, 20 hours ago)

Gonna change my name to NOOB but is it Cellophane to seal? or something light filtering to keep lighting  indirect ?  any heat rec or ambient air or is it really just like no BFD and I'm being way too paranoid of this:mushroom2: experience?

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27339211 - 06/07/21 06:58 PM (10 days, 20 hours ago)

I cut saran wrap into 1 inch little rolls and use that to wrap my plate a couple times. It seals and lets you move them around lids falling off. Some use Para film or tree grafting wrap.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Portable Greenhouse, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started