Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Portable Greenhouse, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCrackatoaS
Stranger in a strange land
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Over by your Mama's house Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Omer]
    #27327112 - 05/28/21 09:09 PM (20 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

Omer said:
hey Crack totally appreciate you taking the time for me!! so I gather if I use shoeboxes with coir that I really don't even need a greenhouse? I've just had such shit luck with using a shotgun box and keeping my cakes right during colonization so far which is why I got a gh BUT maybe I've been following OLD advice!!! so I take it newer tek than I've used is saying no humidifiers so I need to start my research over again!?! I've got some PE and GT colonizing now so want to get off on the right fruiting foot this time but it seems way more complicated than it has to be I think? this time I have the jars on a shelf and figured the gh for fruiting with a heater for constant 75 and humidifier in keeping constant humidity over 90%. Am I missing something that newer tek has to offer?

No, if your comfortable they are as well. Shoeboxes are awesome for soo many things. Newer Teks offer simplicity. You'll dig shoeboxes and then you'll move on to mono's or skip right to it. Mono's are awesome when you know you clean spawn. SGFC require more watching than I like. Sadly we all overly complicate the process, thinking we need something more than patience.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Crackatoa]
    #27330417 - 05/31/21 04:11 PM (17 days, 22 hours ago)

thanks crack!! well I was doing shoeboxes because I thought that was most proven results but with your knowledge and experience saying mono I think I'll start doing research on monos as it seems that might be more the direction I want to dig towards.. now I need to make sure that my spawn stays clean so have to start researching pics on contains because I'm seeing some green in a couple jars? your suggestion, "throw them out immediately"?

OnlineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27330418 - 05/31/21 04:13 PM (17 days, 22 hours ago)

toss

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Bakedbeings]
    #27330429 - 05/31/21 04:27 PM (17 days, 21 hours ago)

:cringe::whathesaid:

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Crackatoa]
    #27332435 - 06/02/21 12:00 PM (16 days, 2 hours ago)

so any sign of green separate and toss immediately? seems there are a few now:eek:

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27332564 - 06/02/21 01:52 PM (16 days, 25 minutes ago)

Yeah, once the green starts it's over with.

Offlinestreetpriced
Stranger

#27332912 - 06/02/21 07:09 PM (15 days, 19 hours ago)

Love to see the age of posts

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: streetpriced]
    #27333010 - 06/02/21 08:30 PM (15 days, 17 hours ago)

thanks crack!!! I've looked at several posts and I have yet to see the answer to the question I'm going to ask you? when you see mold such as the green mold I see do I need to separate that from the other jars as soon as I see it? I guess what I'm trying to ask is it contagious to the other jars even though there's micropore tape? should I dump those jars in the trash? can I save the jars themselves? or do I sh** can the whole thing? and when looking is it even the slightest bit of green or does it grow out of it? sorry I know nubeeee!! :smile:

OfflinePBJ710
Strangler

#27333069 - 06/02/21 09:42 PM (15 days, 16 hours ago)

The mold won't transfer from jar to jar.  Your jars *should* all have a dry vermiculite layer at the top that prevents any external contaminents from getting to the BRF nutrition source inside.  If you see ANY green before you at least have pins, it's pretty safe to just toss it.  If you have pins already alot of the time you can win the race enough to get some fruits before the spawn succumbs to the green monster.

Just dump them outside in a trashcan so you don't load your house down with unneeded mold spores, but the jars/lids are fine to reuse after thoroughly washing with soap/water.

OfflineNinjaZX-14
Stranger
Male

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: PBJ710]
    #27333153 - 06/02/21 11:11 PM (15 days, 15 hours ago)

I'm a brand new cultivator and brand new to the site.

I have a martha with external humidifier - house of Hydro 3 disk atomizer. I have it feeding in at the top, with exhaust fans at the bottom.

I built it before I realized a lot of the newer tek was to go without.

The honest truth is it's not necessary, but it's been good for my peace of mind.

My results so far are one shoebox in FC now, I'm pretty happy with it. It's got a pretty evenly distributed set of pins and looks like it'll be a successful first effort.

I run humidity up and down between about 93% and 80% RH. The exhaust fans are on a cycle timer. On 5 mins (to encourage FAE), off for 15 mins (the humidifier runs and brings in fresh air).

Honestly there seems to be a lot of ways tune it to get your target humidity range. I keep a space heater in the same room to eliminate low temperatures. There's a window ac in an adjacent room to cool when too warm.

My atomizer stopped working for a few days last week, so I switched to misting and fanning - it wasn't too much of a burden. The atomizer is working again so I don't feel like I have to do as much; but I'm still up there every few hours admiring the new pins!

Good luck!

OnlineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: NinjaZX-14]
    #27333214 - 06/03/21 12:49 AM (15 days, 13 hours ago)

sounds like a great setup for growing pans, and now you know if you fill your tent with pan-cakes you can still do cubes in tubs on the side

OfflineNinjaZX-14
Stranger
Male

Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: Bakedbeings]
    #27333295 - 06/03/21 03:01 AM (15 days, 11 hours ago)

That might be something to look into.

I need to get cubes up and running first. I've been promising my wife something for a few months now.

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
Re: FRUSTRATED with age of posts! experienced cultivators needed! [Re: NinjaZX-14]
    #27333308 - 06/03/21 03:23 AM (15 days, 10 hours ago)

Shoebox is simple and easy and takes care of itself without having to drill holes.

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27333595 - 06/03/21 10:22 AM (15 days, 3 hours ago)

thanks Dennis! great to talk to a beginner!! noob to noob your first grows sound way more awesome than mine were!! I had a full-blown gh then got a Martha setup and then started reading more and getting more advice and now I haven't even setup my Martha because I'm feeling that shoebox tek or mono seems to be what all of the experienced cultivators have turned to? I'm waiting for the myc stage to finish and then want to try shoebox and mono since I'll have about thirty jars this run. I just hope I can keep what crack calls the green monster at bay long enough this time to get pins! I'm ready to innoc thirty more jars but this time I made a 122 qt glove box to see if my results are stronger than the oven method. I'm also now using micropore tape over the supplied  holes in the jars I get even though Midwest says it isn't necessary? next run I'm going to try making my own jars with a 23 qt canner and some of the tek I've saved from here.  just wondering if oatmeal or other grain is better? lots of experimenting with this new hobby but a lot of FUN also, if only I can get some little heads popping up soon ....

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27333621 - 06/03/21 10:43 AM (15 days, 3 hours ago)

thanks crack I needed that as I was worried it may get picked up in the air or vicariously for all I know! so crack as a noob should I stick with shoeboxes this go and give the mono a try next run or do you think I can run the two at the same time? should I throw the shoeboxes in a Martha or just treat them like the mono tek I've read from shaper? also there are so many different grains to go with it seems when I do start making my own jars, in your opine what is the most braindead since I don't have as many cells up there as I once had? getting ready to innoc the rest of the jars I bought from Midwest supplier and then ready to start making my own.

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27333717 - 06/03/21 12:17 PM (15 days, 2 hours ago)

You can run both at the same time without issues. I do suggest shoeboxes till you know your spawn is clean. Shoeboxes are great for learning and for questionable jars of spawn. Treating them like shaper suggests works perfectly. I suggest making your own jars asap, for cleanliness and it's cheaper. My no prep millet Tek is insanely easy but millet can be hard to find. Oats and bird seed are easy to find and easy to prep.

OnlineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27333770 - 06/03/21 01:22 PM (15 days, 55 minutes ago)

whole oats

also SAB not glove box

OfflineNinjaZX-14
Stranger
Male

#27333779 - 06/03/21 01:30 PM (15 days, 47 minutes ago)

Hey Omer,

Well, grows (plural) might be an stretching it. Lol

I have a single 12qt SB that is pinning like crazy, and looks like it's going to survive to yield my first fruits.

I've wasted a few jars of grain that failed colonize. I think they were too cold - added a space heater about a week ago when I saw temps in the 60s

Each of the last 2 weekends, I've prepped and inoculated 4 jars worth of grain. I get a SB out of each 2qt of spawn, so that's 3 or 4 shoeboxes in the pipeline.

I have a total of 6 12qt shoeboxes that I'd like to get going round robin.

You'll definitely benefit from a PC, and buying grain in bulk. It's a lot cheaper, and not much extra work.

I'm starting to investigate agar - nothing to report except that I think I'm over due to learn about it. My grain colonization has been iffy, I think going from agar will be more reliable and quicker. I delayed learning because it seemed intimidating.

Just about every expert recommends learning about agar and encourages noobs to learn. I think its because it's not really that hard and it increases the reliability of your efforts.

Good luck!

OfflineCrackatoaS

Trusted Cultivator
    #27333790 - 06/03/21 01:38 PM (15 days, 40 minutes ago)

Dennis, what have you been using to knock up your grain? Spore syringe?

OfflineOmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27333856 - 06/03/21 02:58 PM (14 days, 23 hours ago)

perf I'm off to research agar now to infinity and beyond!

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Portable Greenhouse, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started