Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
cilantro stops the squirts?
    #2732233 - 05/26/04 12:55 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/05/26/health.salsa.reut/index.html

Salsa spice holds health benefits

Study finds compound in cilantro kills harmful bacteria

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 Posted: 11:24 AM EDT (1524 GMT)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Another reason to eat spicy foods: cilantro, an herb key to many cuisines and central to salsa, can kill food poisoning bacteria, researchers said on Tuesday.

U.S. and Mexican researchers said they had identified a compound in cilantro that kills harmful Salmonella bacteria. They hope it can be developed into a safe food additive that could help prevent foodborne illness.

The study, published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, shows why salsa, a staple of Mexican food, and many other spicy foods seem to have innate antibacterial activity. It fits in with other studies done over the years that show popular spices can keep food from spoiling.

The compound, called dodecenal, is found in the fresh leaves and the seeds of cilantro, also known as coriander.

In lab dishes dodecenal was twice as effective as the commonly used antibiotic drug gentamicin against Salmonella, a frequent and sometimes deadly cause of foodborne illness.

"We were surprised that dodecenal was such a potent antibiotic," Isao Kubo, a chemist at the University of California, Berkeley who led the study, said in a statement.

But it is not potent enough to fight food poisoning in naturally occurring amounts, Kubo said.

"If you were eating a hot dog or hamburger you would probably have to eat an equivalent weight of cilantro to have an optimal effect against food poisoning," Kubo said.

Kubo's team also found a dozen other antibiotic compounds in fresh cilantro that showed some activity against a variety of harmful bacteria.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: cilantro stops the squirts? [Re: afoaf]
    #2741713 - 05/28/04 01:46 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds good! I'm all for natural remedies :smile:.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #2742393 - 05/28/04 05:59 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I love cilantro its my favorite spice...

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: cilantro stops the squirts? [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #2743595 - 05/29/04 03:46 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Mmm cilantro (we call it coriander) is great, right up there with cumin

Offline313kbuds
Kevlar
Male

Loc: Atlantis
    #17885603 - 03/01/13 10:58 AM (11 years, 30 days ago)

Wow this is an awesome discovery, now if only all plants and herbs were studied to find their natural remedies instead of just making drugs.

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
Re: cilantro stops the squirts? [Re: 313kbuds]
    #17886361 - 03/01/13 01:37 PM (11 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

313kbuds said:
Wow this is an awesome discovery, now if only all plants and herbs were studied to find their natural remedies instead of just making drugs.

Now if only hippies realized most drugs come from the natural remedies of plants...

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

InvisibleKT-BC
Male

Loc: the lake Flag
Re: cilantro stops the squirts? [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #17895733 - 03/03/13 02:26 AM (11 years, 29 days ago)

just another reason to love it :grin:

OfflineYrat
Hello

Re: cilantro stops the squirts? [Re: KT-BC]
    #17895947 - 03/03/13 06:27 AM (11 years, 28 days ago)

i'll share my recent story here...

this week my girlfriend came down with a pretty bad case of food poisoning, most likely salmonella.  we are thinking it either came from her undercooking her eggs, or forgetting to wash her hands after playing with our little turtles that we are raising to release (she likes to harass them and hold them quite a lot)

needless to say, she was pretty much out of commission this entire week with between 10 and 20 trips to the bathroom every day and almost constant extremely painful abdominal cramps, to the point of not being able to talk or breathe.  luckily no puking, but i still had her chugging pedialyte and gatorade since she was losing something like 100% of her body weight into the toilet each day.

two days ago, i stumbled across this thread when someone bumped it.

cilantro!  we have that in the fridge!

i forced her to eat as much raw cilantro as possible.  as much as she didn't like it after a few bites, she was willing to try anything to end her "experience."

yesterday was her first day after eating the cilantro, and she didn't have one single bathroom emergency.  a couple instances of minor cramps, but it was also the first time in a week she was eating solid foods again.

she went from several bouts of diarrhea and inability to eat on friday to zero trips to the bathroom and normal meals again on saturday.  she ate the cilantro late friday night.

now i realize that the timing could have coincided with the normal end/cycle of the food poisoning, but the turnaround seemed rather quick.  i am thinking there might be something to this cilantro thing.

--------------------
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root."
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: cilantro stops the squirts? [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #17905537 - 03/04/13 09:50 PM (11 years, 27 days ago)

cilantro is an herb, coriander is the spice which are the seeds of cilantro, no flavor comparison, just botanically speaking

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale