Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Hot Plate, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemsj
Stranger
 User Gallery
Questions for first attempt
    #27318237 - 05/22/21 05:14 AM (24 days, 50 minutes ago)

So I'm new to this obviously and been reading, reading, and doing some more reading.  I've got a total of four 54 quart clear lid and body containers, so was going to turn one of those into a SAB so I've got something to work with, then probably turn the other three into monotubs.  We'll just talk about one monotub for now to keep it simple.  There's a few parts I'm not completely certain about how I need to handle, though, so cue the dumb questions!

First, I obviously need to start somewhere as in these puppies don't just grow out of nothingness so I'm thinking I'm going to start by purchasing a B+ spore syringe. 

Are B+ a good idea to start with?  Going to drop some of those onto some agar which will be enriched with the water left over from boiling oats (at least I think so not quite sure I'm using oats yet so that might change, feel free to let me know what you find most fool-proof).  I thought agar would be best since it is more likely to keep things clean if I do it right.  Once I've got healthy and clean mycelium there we're gonna transfer to oats in jars, but that's my first question. 

I've only got an instant pot, not a traditional pressure cooker.  From what I'm reading, if I want to do a 54qt or thereabout monotub, I'm going to need 5 quart jars of spawn to mix in with my coco coir for substrate.  Problem is, a quart jar is not going to fit in that instant pot, period.  I'm thinking I could do pint jars instead to solve the size issue. 

Is there any reason to advise against doing that?  I figured I would take the jars with metal lids and bands, pop a hole in the lids, stuff with polyfill, fill with oats, and sterilize them in batches of four or five pint jars at a time.  In the end I'd need at least ten to do a tub I suppose?

I could buy a large pressure cooker but I'd rather use what I already own if possible.  Once I've gotten all the jars I need sterilized and ready, again just going to transfer straight from the agar unless there's some reason not to.

Thoughts on that?  Should I be doing something more complex that just cutting a wedge of mycelium and dropping it in the jars in my SAB?

Assuming that's all good and jars colonize then I'll mix some coco coir with boiling water in a cooler to get it ready (I've read enough to feel like I can probably math out how much water to use and get pretty close and I know to check field capacity when I go to use it).  Going to mix straight coir with spawn in a 54qt unmodified liner-less monotub, unlesss...

You guessed it, is there any reason to not use just coir?  Or any reason I do need to modify the tub and put holes/polyfill in it?  Seems like it's easy to prepare the coir and my main concern is basically stupid proofing this so I have less chance to mess it up.  I can always use a liner and I can cut holes in the tub if I need to and use polyfill and all that, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.  I'm pretty much always around my house, but I'd like to make sure the monotub is as self-sufficient as possible just because again, I feel I'd have less of a chance to screw it up.

Sorry for the rambling questions, if anybody has an opinion on which way to go I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Re: Questions for first attempt [Re: msj]
    #27318250 - 05/22/21 05:51 AM (24 days, 12 minutes ago)

Welcome mate :mushroom2:

First of all you won`t be happy with 54qt as a sab, that`s way too small.
Your plan sounds solid so far.
A pressure canner is always best, if you wanna keep on cultivating.
But insta pots work.

Look here for some tub styles:
BOD's Easy AF UnBODified Monotub TEK
Pastywhyte’s Ez dialed monotubs

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

OfflineTheMagicConch
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over here
Re: Questions for first attempt [Re: Goatrider]
    #27318734 - 05/22/21 02:06 PM (23 days, 15 hours ago)

Don't think he said he was using a 54qt as an SAB, but regardless, good advice. 90qt+ is good for an SAB.

To answer your question about the grain jars, pints are fine. Just make up enough to equal 5qts or whatever you need to spawn.

Instapots will work, just make sure you know the PSI yours reaches, should be in the manual. I think most of them go to 11PSI which would mean you need to cook longer than the standard 1.5hrs, but I know a lot of newer models can go up to 15, so just research that.

You have a pretty solid plan:thumbup:

InvisibleGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Re: Questions for first attempt [Re: TheMagicConch] * 1
    #27318761 - 05/22/21 02:34 PM (23 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

TheMagicConch said:
Don't think he said he was using a 54qt as an SAB

Quote:

msj said:
I've got a total of four 54 quart clear lid and body containers, so was going to turn one of those into a SAB

:wink:

--------------------

InvisibleveggieM

Loc: Flag
    #27318794 - 05/22/21 03:03 PM (23 days, 15 hours ago)

Personally I wouldn't trust one of those insta pots to properly sterilize grain. They are, however great for making rice, yogurt, and soup. Even if they do work, it will be very time consuming because of the small size and lower psi. Get a pressure cooker.

OnlinePBJ710
Strangler

Re: Questions for first attempt [Re: veggie]
    #27318837 - 05/22/21 03:57 PM (23 days, 14 hours ago)

While an instapot works fine for LC, agar and other smaller containers it's a PITA to do grains in.  It has a tiny capacity and takes about 50% longer to sterilize grains due to the low pressure.  You're welcome to try it for your grains, but I suspect you will be ordering a Presto PC shortly after your first PC session.  Don't forget to prepare a few more jars than you actually need so you can be picky about your spawn.  One jar of iffy spawn can take out an entire tub...

I second the larger SAB choice - the arm holes need to be about as far apart as your shoulders are and then you need to room to move around in them also.  I run a 120qt tub for my SAB.  Don't forget to snag a cheap wire rack of some sort to use in your SAB.  You want your work surface to be elevated off the bottom of the SAB.

Re: Agar: After you isolate a clean culture, slice up a few bits of the culture and drop them in the grain jar while in your SAB.  If done cleanly, you will see beautiful white mycelium growing from the bits and no molds or weird shit growing.  Shake the jars when it gets to 20-30% colonized, then again at about 75-80% for faster colonization of the jars.

I would recommend a very thin plastic liner (.3-1mil) at least until you master surface conditions.  The inset area on the sides of those tubs seem prone to side pins as the substrate dries.  Another note for those tubs, they are VERY sensitive to airflows in the room.  When the lid is flipped they have alot of FAE - don't underestimate how much moisture can be evaporated from your substrate with a gentle breeze in the room.

Edited by PBJ710 (05/22/21 04:03 PM)

Offlinemsj
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Questions for first attempt [Re: PBJ710]
    #27318890 - 05/22/21 04:56 PM (23 days, 13 hours ago)

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. 

I think one thing I immediately will do differently is use a bigger container for the SAB.  Also I did not think to use a rack so the bottom is elevated, that's excellent advice.  I was actually going to take a room of my house and use it pretty much exclusively for this so I can keep it cleaner easier. 

For the moment, I'll use the instant pot.  I have a feeling you're all correct though and I might find myself ordering a presto 23 quart real soon.  I'm a patient guy though so who knows?  I might find it sorta zen to just cycle a pressure cooker day and night for a week. 

Because someone pointed it out, I think I won't do ten jars, but probably more like fifteen or twenty as a just in case. 

I'll also add a liner to the mix for the monotub for now to try to preemptively avoid some side pinning.  Where I live, it's extremely humid a lot of the time which I guess is great for mushrooms because cubensis grows wild everywhere here.  I used to just go pick them but I'm old and busted and can't run from farmers anymore, so I'm trying to coax the mushrooms to come to me.

So basically 1.) get a bigger SAB box 2.) try the instant pot with pint jars but pay attention to what the PSI actually is and act appropriately 3.) go spore syringe to agar to jars 4.) Add a liner to the monotub and keep a close eye on moisture loss.  I didn't hear anybody saying oats or coir were bad ideas for a first attempt so I'll stick with that.

Thanks for the great answers.  I got some shopping to do but once I get it all set up I'll keep you guys informed on progress.  It's been something like fifteen years since I last had a magic mushroom, so I'm a little excited.

OfflineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27318910 - 05/22/21 05:24 PM (23 days, 12 hours ago)

welcome friend! sounds like youre off to a great start. here are my two cents.

1. if there is ONE piece of equipment to spend on, its your pressure cooker. i bought a smaller one to save money and im still mad at myself. shelling out more dough on a bigger one, or one with higher pressure, will pay dividends in the long term

2. starting with agar is a great choice, and using oats is a great choice. the nice thing about whole oats is you can realllly cook em without them sticking together in the jar, because of the husks. dont be scared to boil them until the insides are nice and soft

3. you might want to consider starting with small tubs. you can still use the big tubs you bought as fruiting chambers, just put the small tubs inside them, 2 or 3 or more, whatever fits comfortably. the advantages being that if one contams you can just remove it easily, and if you get side pins its easy to pop out the cake to harvest them (bigger cakes are harder to handle without breaking them)

i know youre planning to use liners but just so you know sometimes side pins grow anyway and the liner hides them. it sucks to be throwing out your cake and find some gross old mushrooms that missed the boat. using shoeboxes and no liners will help avoid this

check out this post from mushboy

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24038695/fpart/1/vc/1

Edited by Bakedbeings (05/22/21 05:25 PM)

Offlinemsj
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27318925 - 05/22/21 05:45 PM (23 days, 12 hours ago)

While I'm asking questions here, one more.  With petri dishes, the borosilicate glass ones are unsurprisingly pricey.  If I'm going to sterilize them in a pressure cooker I suppose I need borosilicate glass.  But Amazon sells plastic pre-sterilized petri dishes that are sterilized with ethylene oxide. 

Do I need to buy borosilicate glass so they can go in the pressure cooker, or is it okay to go with the plastic petri dishes that are pre-sterilized? 

To be clear, I'm going to be using a pyrex media bottle and making my agar in the microwave, then transferring the entire bottle to the instant pot I have to sterilize.  Once sterilized I would just move into my SAB with my sterile bottle.  I'd then spray down my package of petri dishes with isopropyl, open it, and transfer the dishes spraying each individually as I move them into the SAB.  Once all the dishes I'm using are the in the SAB, I'd pour agar and leave my stack of dishes in the SAB to set - I'll likely do the entire sleeve at once so I have extra dishes for later.

Anything bad about using the plastic pre-sterilized dishes?

OfflineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27318940 - 05/22/21 06:04 PM (23 days, 12 hours ago)

borosilicate glass is only necessary if you plan to heat the glass unevenly, like over a gas burner for example. if you are heating the glass uniformly (like in a pressure cooker) it doesnt matter what kind of glass you use

ive never used those presterilized dishes so i cant comment. im sure someone else will chime in

Edited by Bakedbeings (05/22/21 06:11 PM)

InvisibleGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Re: Questions for first attempt [Re: Bakedbeings]
    #27318993 - 05/22/21 07:05 PM (23 days, 10 hours ago)

You don't spray any dish individually, just wipe the sleeve.
Cut open and remove the sleeve in the sab.
Start pouring then.
You may refit the sleeve over the stack while cooling down in the sab.

--------------------

InvisibleveggieM

Loc: Flag
    #27318994 - 05/22/21 07:05 PM (23 days, 10 hours ago)

Sure, you can use sterile polystyrene petri dishes from Amazon. They are sterile in the sleeve so you would wipe down the sleeve with iso inside your SAB, remove the plates and pour your agar. Don't spray each individual dish as they are already sterile.

OfflineTheMagicConch
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over here
    #27319100 - 05/22/21 08:37 PM (23 days, 9 hours ago)

Quote:

Goatrider said:
Quote:

TheMagicConch said:
Don't think he said he was using a 54qt as an SAB

Quote:

msj said:
I've got a total of four 54 quart clear lid and body containers, so was going to turn one of those into a SAB

:wink:

Shit *facepalm* I re-read it like 3 times to make sure I wasn't missing it somewhere too XD

InvisibleGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Re: Questions for first attempt [Re: TheMagicConch]
    #27319499 - 05/23/21 03:51 AM (23 days, 2 hours ago)

I can hear you :wink:

To me it`s easier to read, if the text is set in paragraphs.
I`d leave immediately, if i see a big pile of words without any punctuation.

--------------------

OfflineXvXv
Stranger
    #27319617 - 05/23/21 08:37 AM (22 days, 21 hours ago)

I decided against trying an instant pot and ordered a PC, but I would be interested in hearing your results.

Offlinebsnow4
Outdoor and drug enthusiast
Male
Loc: New England
    #27319688 - 05/23/21 10:03 AM (22 days, 20 hours ago)

Quote:

msj said:
Do I need to buy borosilicate glass so they can go in the pressure cooker, or is it okay to go with the plastic petri dishes that are pre-sterilized? 

Anything bad about using the plastic pre-sterilized dishes?

I only use the plastic pre-sterilized Petri dishes and have not had any issues with them.  Like Goatrider said, just open in the SAB and pour away. They're also much less slippery than the glass dishes.

FWIW, I use an Instant Pot for sterilizing agar (I run for 20 minutes), as it's much faster than using a PC for a couple agar bottles.  I do use the PC for grain because as had already been mentioned, the capacity is much greater.

Offlinemsj
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Questions for first attempt [Re: bsnow4]
    #27334041 - 06/03/21 06:24 PM (11 days, 11 hours ago)

Another question.  A friend that got wind of what I'm trying to accomplish and some of the difficulties I've had sourcing affordable and adequate supplies decided to go online and buy a grow kit.  I don't know how big it's going to be because they didn't look but I do know it's golden teachers and it should be a grow kit that has the mycelium fully colonized and ready to subject to fruiting conditions.

I see this as somewhat wasteful.  I mean, the hard work is even already done, the mycelium is colonized, so why just do what the grow kit says to do?  So here's my proposal.

I think we should take the grow kit and set it aside while preparing a batch of substrate made with coco coir (if it should contain other things please feel free to make suggestions).  Then we should take that grow kit and break up the mycelium it contains and mix it into our new batch of substrate.  I don't see why this wouldn't work to stretch/maximize the yield of this grow kit.

Can anybody give some advice based on experience as to what would happen here?  If it's doable, then any suggestions on exactly how to go about it?  Especially the ratios that should be used, please and thank you, because I'm not sure just how far I can "stretch" this mycelium without screwing it up.

You guys are amazing and I thank you for your input.  Also, with respect to what I'd planned before, we're still on for that, but I'm upgrading to a full size pressure cooker so that'll have to wait for payday.  The instant pot was a good idea but it's just horrendously time consuming and I feel like I'm inevitably going to contaminate something moving all these batches around and letting them sit and such.

Edited cause I'm bad at typing.

Edited by msj (06/03/21 06:26 PM)

OfflineAshtray161S
SettledNomad
Other

Loc: Rugby, England
    #27334574 - 06/04/21 02:15 AM (11 days, 3 hours ago)

I dont personally see a point in doing all of this. Sounds like thatd what the growkit already did anyway. You'd be better off not getting kits but if you did might as well just let it fruit how it will to give yourselves the best chance to get something out of it.
In any case, cubes thrive off neglect. Fuck w em as little as possible, especially when just starting out.

What kind of growkit is it?

--------------------
I AM PRETTY NEW. ALWAYS FOLLOW A TRUSTED CULTIVATOR OR A PROPER TEK
Does it pee when you burn?

FELLOW NEWBS, START HERE: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24420178
We need to stop abusing drug users. CHICKENS EDDY!
ACABEvenYourDad Anything Helps :begger::begger::begger: Spanging for prints!

OfflineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27334938 - 06/04/21 09:48 AM (10 days, 20 hours ago)

breaking up colonized grain spawn to mix with substrate is one thing, and breaking up colonized substrate to mix with MORE substrate is another. youre welcome to try it but a friend of mine tried it repeatedly and the myc never recovered

if you really want to maximize what you get out of this kit i recommend letting it fruit and taking clones and spore prints. each mushroom is a pathway to infinite mushrooms

Offlinemsj
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Questions for first attempt [Re: Bakedbeings]
    #27342367 - 06/10/21 02:13 AM (5 days, 3 hours ago)

I do like the idea of getting a spore print from the kit if it ever arrives, it is supposed to be different from the spores I got so it'll be nice to have variety. 

My agar and malt extract finally arrived!  I went ahead and used condiment cups instead of waiting on petri dishes because those still haven't arrived (the mail hates me) and got started with spores to agar.  Crossing my fingers that the condiment cups work well because they were double sealed in a bag and I was careful to not expose the inside of the cups/lids to anything until I had them in my SAB.  Tried my best to follow bod's comprehensive agar tek's guidelines and I think it turned out okay, but obviously can't tell yet since I literally just did them.

I figure one out of 25 has to work out at least.  They'll be sitting in the part of my house that's normally right around 80 degrees for the next few days while I attempt to not look at them every five minutes. 

I ended up going with wild bird seed for my grain and I'll have approximately 24 quart jars ready to go once we're working with clean mycelium on this agar.  Doing shoeboxes because it seems easier for me.  Also got the bigger PC 'cause you guys were right.  There's a lot of stuff about bird seed out there but I was thinking of just going with what philly golden teacher on YT does in his video, seems easy enough.

This might be a dumb question, but once I do see growth, I'm assuming that I'll want to make some transfers if I see any contamination.  If I don't see any contamination, should I still do transfers before I cut that agar into little squares and dump it in a prepped/sterile grain jar?  If so, how many or until what point?  The overall goal I guess would be to figure out how to clone the best and most productive shrooms from this grow to keep them indefinitely for future grows, and I'm still doing a lot of reading about it, but any suggestions are always welcome.

Edited by msj (06/10/21 02:52 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Hot Plate, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started