Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Morning Glory Seeds, Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Morning Glory Problem
    #2731772 - 05/26/04 12:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hello again! It's been a while.

This spring I decided I would try nurturing some morning glory seeds into maturity. I planted them shortly before May, and they sprouted very fast, growing very tall very quickly. A series of late frosts and even some snow forced me to keep them in doors. Now, one of them is about four and a half feet tall. It's becoming difficult to keep them indoors.

I am keeping them in hanging baskets to be hung from the overhang above my front door. It should make a pretty curtain! The problem is that every time I attempt to turn the plants outside, they become terribly windblown and withered. Even when the wind is relatively mild, upon checking them they look severely damaged. One of them nearly broke off a few inches from it's root. After keeping them inside for a couple of days, they seem to heal. It seems that I can't put them outside without killing them!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might toughen these plants up for a life outdoors? Summer is waxing nicely now, and I'm ready for these plants to begin working toward their show of blooms. Thanks!

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

Re: Morning Glory Problem [Re: Ped]
    #2731780 - 05/26/04 12:53 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Air currents or breezes toughen stems and make them thicker.Putting a fan on them should thicken and toughen them up but it may take awhile.I'd start by using the fan on the lowest setting at a fair distance so the plants only get a very light breeze and after awhile gradually increase the breeze by moving the fan closer or by turning it to a higher setting but increase the breeze slowly.Indoor plants tend to be weak since they dont tend to have breezes around them.Once you make them as strong as you'd like they should do just fine outdoors.

--------------------
"There is no fire like lust, no grip like hate, no net like delusions, no river like craving."

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Re: Morning Glory Problem [Re: Ped]
    #2731992 - 05/26/04 02:07 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Basically by fan or by putting them out for short amounts of time first and gradually increase them; you're just going to have to aclimate them. I have issues with this when I start putting my Salvia outside after being indoors most of the winter.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Morning Glory Seeds, Salvia

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden