Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #27336073 - 06/05/21 10:11 AM (13 days, 4 hours ago)

wow dude congrats on making this work! im sure youll be making LOTS of spore prints from these miracle babies

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMycelium Juice
Here for the weed
 User Gallery

Loc: planet earth
Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Bakedbeings]
    #27336083 - 06/05/21 10:21 AM (13 days, 4 hours ago)

Holy FUCK!!!  You made it.  Nice work Te0. 
I think you've got the right attitude with experimenting and willingness to fail to be good at this hobby. 

Grade A work my friend.
Mad props to Pitcher Crab for helping light the way as well.

Quote:

Te0nanacatl said:
I have some LED light lying around at ~6000k that I can put above the shoebox.
Is it good enough to have it shining through the lid, what do you think about something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Upgraded-Dimmable-Daylight-Adhesive/dp/B07XHLGSXN

I could put this on the underside of the lid, that way it's shining directly on the sub. Is it unnecessary?

I use these exact lights rn.  Been going strong for over 8 months, and you can't beat that price point.

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Mycelium Juice]
    #27336146 - 06/05/21 11:35 AM (13 days, 2 hours ago)

Thanks everyone, I'm just glad I'll get the spore prints from one of those jars, it's better than nothing. Like I said in the beginning, I have nothing to lose, even if they all failed I got some practice in making the sub and the whole process of spawning.

Anyway, now I've been reading about the lights, and as I see it, the brighter the better, and as close as possible to daylight, so > 6000k. My question is, people list more consistent pinning as the biggest advantage when using lights, so is the light still necessary once the pinning is done and mushrooms are growing?

Quote:

Mycelium Juice said:
I use these exact lights rn.  Been going strong for over 8 months, and you can't beat that price point.

Cool, do you bother with putting them under the lid, or do you just route them above the tub?

InvisibleMycelium Juice
Here for the weed
 User Gallery

Loc: planet earth
Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Te0nanacatl]
    #27336218 - 06/05/21 01:05 PM (13 days, 1 hour ago)

From what I've found on this site, 6500k seems to be the sweet spot.

Yes, keep the lights going while fruiting.  It will give the mushrooms a direction to grow, as well as help bring out their natural coloring.

Quote:

Te0nanacatl said:
Cool, do you bother with putting them under the lid, or do you just route them above the tub?

Putting them under the lid sounds like a pain in the ass to me! :lol:

I noob-ly threw the lights on top of the tubs to start so they would stay closer...
BUT quickly ended up securing them to the shelf above for ease of access and to keep it clean. (I use a 5 tiered rack/shelving system)
It was a true pain in the ass not having them secure fyi.
You can still droop them to stay close to tubs, but definitely secure them above and not in!
Basically set it, and now I get to forget it. :rockon::rocket::mushroom2:

Edited by Mycelium Juice (06/05/21 01:36 PM)

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Mycelium Juice]
    #27338370 - 06/07/21 04:21 AM (11 days, 10 hours ago)

The pins are coming along nicely, the biggest one is a bit over an inch tall. I have a few questions regarding surface conditions. If I'm correct, you should mist once the surface looks dry, and there are no droplets on the mycelium. Here is a picture of the tub before I misted it

And this is after

I'm not sure how visible it is, but in the first image, there are no droplets, but the surface is still moist, there is water captured underneath the mycelium (also there is a droplet right next to the pins). After the misting, there visible small droplets of water all over the myc. Should I have misted, or should I wait for it to dry out more?

Second question is, why are the pins growing only in one corner of the tub?

I'm not complaining, like I said at the start, even if I get one mushroom out if it I'm happy, I'm just wondering can I do something to improve the pinning conditions?

InvisibleGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

#27338382 - 06/07/21 04:46 AM (11 days, 9 hours ago)

As pins move in you can cut down misting.
Surface has good moisture.
Maybe conditions in the corner were a bit better than the rest of the surface.
Could be more moisture from condensation running down the walls.
Next time look to get a proper surface like in the link:
Proper Surface Moisture / When to Increase FAE
After pinning, the moisture content should be enough til harvest,
unless you get a monster pinset you may have to support with bottom watering.

There´s a lot more knotting, you`re on it :thumbup:

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Goatrider]
    #27338400 - 06/07/21 05:16 AM (11 days, 9 hours ago)

Yup, got most of my info about surface conditions from that tek. The biggest mistake I made was that I didn't tamp down the sub enough when I was spawning. In the beginning it was just a bunch of small bumps, but as mycelium grew underneath and around them, those chunks of sub moved and now it's really bumpy. Next time I will definitely focus more to get everything level and pat it down.

Question about bottom watering, or dunking after fist flush. I have a liner, and myc is really holding on to it now. If hypothetically I had to bottom water (or dunk), should I unstick the liner from the myc so that the sub is free from all sides?

InvisibleGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

#27338473 - 06/07/21 07:25 AM (11 days, 7 hours ago)

Quote:

Te0nanacatl said:
If hypothetically I had to bottom water (or dunk), should I unstick the liner from the myc so that the sub is free from all sides?

Exactly this.

Quote:

Te0nanacatl said:
The biggest mistake I made was that I didn't tamp down the sub enough when I was spawning.Next time I will definitely focus more to get everything level and pat it down.

You`re on the right track mate :wink:

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Goatrider]
    #27342494 - 06/10/21 06:22 AM (8 days, 8 hours ago)

I have a mixed bag of news.

Good news is the mushrooms are still growing, I'm trying to keep the surface conditions wet enough. The weird part is the big ones are all leaning towards the ground. Some of the pins are not growing for a few days now and their caps are a bit darker, maybe they are aborts.

The bad news is I'm 90% sure veil has ripped on my biggest mushroom, and the cap isn't even expanded, so I have no idea whats happening there.

Here is a bonus shitty gif of a shroom growing over 2 hour period, I'm surprised they grow so fast. :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

OfflineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27342697 - 06/10/21 10:41 AM (8 days, 3 hours ago)

ahhhh bummer dude. looks like that spawn was dirty after all. sorry

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Loc: The bottom of the sea.
Trusted Cultivator
    #27342776 - 06/10/21 11:25 AM (8 days, 3 hours ago)

It looks like the RH is too high. When its too high I find my mushrooms get kinda soggy and fall over like that. What are you fruiting those in?

If in a tub you can flip the lid to create a small crack around the edge.

I'd harvest the big ones and see if you can get the smaller ones to start growing normally.

--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Trade List

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Edited by PitcherCrab (06/10/21 11:28 AM)

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

#27342868 - 06/10/21 12:16 PM (8 days, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
ahhhh bummer dude. looks like that spawn was dirty after all. sorry

What makes you think this is a result of a contamination?

Quote:

PitcherCrab said:
If in a tub you can flip the lid to create a small crack around the edge.

It's a shoebox, with an unclipped lid, so that should provide enough FAE. Do you think I should flip the lid to increase it?

I've been misting once per day, once I don't see the droplets on the surface, I mist 5-6 pumps. Should I stop completely?

OfflineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27342985 - 06/10/21 01:51 PM (8 days, 37 minutes ago)

last year i had a few jars that werent sterilized properly but they looked ok so i spawned them anyway. colonized beautifully, produced a solid pinset, but then they started curling inward and popping veils prematurely. they were infected with some very sneaky bacteria

its also possible that your spawn was clean but the mycelium was simply weakened from sitting in the jar for so long. idk im not a mycologist

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
    #27343037 - 06/10/21 02:23 PM (8 days, 6 minutes ago)

Yeah stop misting completely, thats way too much for a shoebox. I like to double tub mine — put a second shoebox on top of the first — and offset them a little so there is a crack around the edge. I find that give a good amount of air. The only time I mist or bottom water is between flushes. Unless its looking super dry, then I'll make an exception.

--------------------
Trade List

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

#27343093 - 06/10/21 02:58 PM (7 days, 23 hours ago)

Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
last year i had a few jars that werent sterilized properly but they looked ok so i spawned them anyway. colonized beautifully, produced a solid pinset, but then they started curling inward and popping veils prematurely. they were infected with some very sneaky bacteria

its also possible that your spawn was clean but the mycelium was simply weakened from sitting in the jar for so long. idk im not a mycologist

Did you still harvest them and eat them or did you toss the whole tub?
From what I read it seems like its fine to eat even the pins that came from contaminated tubs/cakes, is that correct?

Quote:

PitcherCrab said:
Yeah stop misting completely, thats way too much for a shoebox. I like to double tub mine — put a second shoebox on top of the first — and offset them a little so there is a crack around the edge. I find that give a good amount of air. The only time I mist or bottom water is between flushes. Unless its looking super dry, then I'll make an exception.

Yeah, I guess I fucked that up. The funny part is that I read how the inexperienced people mist their first tubs too much, while I was misting my tub too much.
But you said it yourself - "Unless its looking super dry", I guess I don't get what is super dry? Am I correct in thinking that you should see beads of water on mycelium?
Should I fan it now to increase evaporation, or just dub-tub it and avoid touching it?

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
    #27343152 - 06/10/21 03:35 PM (7 days, 22 hours ago)

Just double tub them and leave them alone. They should bounce back and recover once things start to dry out a bit, and you'll probably get more pins from all that moisture evaporating. There should be beads of water on the mycelium during pinning, but after that it's not as important. A dead giveaway of dryness is if any coir peeking up through the mycelium is dry, and no condensation at all on the sides of your tub.

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

#27345412 - 06/12/21 12:54 PM (6 days, 1 hour ago)

Latest development is that there is a handful of new pins on the completely other side of the tub, and they are growing super fast. There is still condensation on the side of the box, so I didn't mist for three days.

I'm worried that they don't look too healthy. The big one has fuzzy feet, that could be due to lack of FAE, but I'm not sure. I'm worried about stem splitting, since the first thing I found when I searched for it is that it could be a vert infection (lecanicillium). I also found a post from RR saying that it could be due to rapid growth, and they are growing fast. They were pins when I stopped misting, and they grew to this size in less than 36 hours. This is a timelaps of 2 hours of growth.

So the questions are: Should I increase FAE with fanning? Is the stem splitting sign of something serious? As you can see in the last picture, I have a bunch of aborts with dark caps, it looks like I drowned them during my misting phase, they haven't grown a mm in days. Should I pick them now before they start to rot?

OfflineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27345449 - 06/12/21 01:23 PM (6 days, 1 hour ago)

Quote:

Did you still harvest them and eat them or did you toss the whole tub?

i tossed the whole tub. im sure the fruits were edible but they were so tiny and gross looking and most of them were burrowed into the sub and i just couldnt be bothered to salvage them when i had healthy myc fruiting in the next tub and a gallon ziploc of dry beauties sitting in my drawer

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
    #27345473 - 06/12/21 01:44 PM (6 days, 44 minutes ago)

Fuzzy feet means too much RH typically, but I wouldn't worry about that it's not a huge deal. I wouldn't fan, just leave the lid cracked and you'll be good. The splitting stems are likely from fast growth as RR said. What is the temperature like on these? High temps speed up growth.

If it were me I'd pick the old gross aborts and make sure the whole has plenty of overhead light to give the baby pins a direction to grow in. The way they are growing all willy-nilly indicates you might not be giving them enough light. Then let it do it's thing. I looks like everything is heading in a good direction. Based on how fast the big ones are growing it looks like you should harvest them soon.

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

#27346293 - 06/13/21 03:47 AM (5 days, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

PitcherCrab said:
Fuzzy feet means too much RH typically, but I wouldn't worry about that it's not a huge deal. I wouldn't fan, just leave the lid cracked and you'll be good. The splitting stems are likely from fast growth as RR said. What is the temperature like on these? High temps speed up growth.

If it were me I'd pick the old gross aborts and make sure the whole has plenty of overhead light to give the baby pins a direction to grow in. The way they are growing all willy-nilly indicates you might not be giving them enough light. Then let it do it's thing. I looks like everything is heading in a good direction. Based on how fast the big ones are growing it looks like you should harvest them soon.

The temperature is pretty stable and not extremely high, it varies from 26-28c (79-82.5f). The humidity in the room is pretty high though, I haven't seen it drop below 45%, and it mostly sits above 50%.
As for the light I'm not sure if I fucked it up somehow, but I've got a 13w led light, 6500k, 1280 lumens, and I keep it on 12/12 regiment. Based on everything I read, it should be the correct light. But as you can see in the gif, they are definitely turning towards the light, so maybe it's doing something.

Also, I noticed this morning that it looks like both of these two long ones have dropped their spores overnight, so I fucked that up also. Should I pick them now, and can I still get a spore print from them? I plan on picking the aborts today, since it looks like that 90% of the pins that were present while I was misting daily have aborted.

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started