Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Bakedbeings]
    #27318601 - 05/22/21 11:47 AM (23 days, 18 hours ago)

Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
if im not wrong someone on this site ended up in a coma that way

Who knows?
Has it been proven?
I wouldn`t take a sniff from a fusarium jar though :thumbup:

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Goatrider]
    #27319540 - 05/23/21 05:02 AM (23 days, 1 hour ago)

I opened the jars a few hours ago, 3 of them smelled like death as soon as I cracked them, so I'm just tossing them.
Out of the 3 that remained, 2 had almost no scent, just a very mild, earthy smell, and the last one (which is one of the jars with a lot of myc fluid) had a very antibiotic-y scent, but once I drained the fluid, it also had almost no scent, so I spawned it to sub as well.
The mycelium was very dense, there was no way I could break it up by just shaking the jar, I had to "cut" it in pieces with a spoon. I didn't notice any molds on the inside of the mycelium, but I'm aware that doesn't mean anything.

Anyway I have three shoeboxes now, I've put them in separate garbage bags and I plan on checking them in 10 days to see if anything is happening.

InvisibleGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Te0nanacatl]
    #27319550 - 05/23/21 05:23 AM (23 days, 48 minutes ago)

You did well tossing them death jars :thumbup:

Keep on posting mate!

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

OfflineAshtray161S
SettledNomad
Other

Loc: Rugby, England
    #27319557 - 05/23/21 05:38 AM (23 days, 33 minutes ago)

Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
be VERY careful about the 'smell test'. i only smell mycelium that looks healthy just to double check. if something is VISIBLY contaminated theres no need to risk brain damage by inhaling a bunch of mystery microbes. if im not wrong someone on this site ended up in a coma that way

no way lol is this forreal

--------------------
I AM PRETTY NEW. ALWAYS FOLLOW A TRUSTED CULTIVATOR OR A PROPER TEK
Does it pee when you burn?

FELLOW NEWBS, START HERE: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24420178
We need to stop abusing drug users. CHICKENS EDDY!
ACABEvenYourDad Anything Helps :begger::begger::begger: Spanging for prints!

OfflineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Goatrider]
    #27319654 - 05/23/21 09:23 AM (22 days, 20 hours ago)

no clue, i remember reading about it lurking on here a few years ago. i doubt its provable with this whole community being anonymous. but i hate to let the truth get in the way of a good story :smile:

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

#27332401 - 06/02/21 11:45 AM (12 days, 18 hours ago)

Ten days have passed, and today I've checked my shoeboxes for the first time.

Looks like only one has a chance of surviving, but I guess you'll tell me what's growing in it.

Box number 1 has nothing growing in it except a tiny spot of mold. The second one looks promising to me, but I have no idea what the tiny white dots are. The third one smells bad besides looking bad :smile:

The plan is to throw out the boxes 1 and 3, a dub-tub the second one and wait to see what grows. I would also like to case the box, since I have some leftover verm. I don't plan on pasteurizing the verm, just mix it with a bit of bottled water and spread it over top. If any of this is a mistake, let me know, I will probably do this tomorrow morning.

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Loc: The bottom of the sea.
Trusted Cultivator
    #27332493 - 06/02/21 12:43 PM (12 days, 17 hours ago)

Toss the two with cobweb mold, the white dots look like primordia however I think I see some cobweb there too? Hard to tell because of the photo quality. The fully colonized one looks great. Instead of casing with straight verm I’d use 50/50 peat & verm pasteurized. There are a number of teks on how to do that. If you decide to use straight verm just layer it on top about ~1/4” and heavily mist it. It will be easier to handle this way. You could also just let it fruit uncased. I’m seeing a lot of primordia forming so its already starting to fruit.

--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Trade List

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Edited by PitcherCrab (06/02/21 12:44 PM)

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #27333218 - 06/03/21 12:52 AM (12 days, 5 hours ago)

When you look at the sub in normal light, without flash, I think the white dots are grains of verm, either way, there is no sign of mycelium in boxes 1 and 3.

I tossed those two, and I'm fruiting the second one. I read up on straight verm casings, and RR says it's only a step above no casing at all, and since I can't get peat moss and lime until monday, I'll just go with no casing.
My thinking is, since I don't have the benefit of casing layer to keep the moisture in, I won't dubtub it for now, I'll just move the shoebox out of the taped up trash bag to improve FAE, mist it once to trigger pinning and leave it closed. It doesn't make sense to me to flip the lid, since the shoebox is much smaller than a monotub, I think it would dry out too quickly, and besides I'll get enough FAE through the imperfect lid seal. Again, if I'm wrong on anything please correct me.

I honestly can't believe even one box mad it to colonization, considering the state of those jars, if I get a single mushroom I'm happy :laugh:

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
    #27333231 - 06/03/21 01:09 AM (12 days, 5 hours ago)

Based on how those primordia are looking you’ll for sure be getting mushrooms! I don’t think you need to mist it at all... looks to me like its happy exactly where its at. If you do mist just mist the air above the mycelium and let it float down on to the surface, misting directly and too much can cause pins to abort. Dub tubbing wouldn’t hurt either, you could offset the top tub a little to leave a crack to help give it more FAE to trigger pinning. Or alternatively put the whole thing into a larger mono. That’s my preferred way to fruit shoeboxes.

As for a casing layer, get all the supplies and do it next time with the clone you take from that fully colonized box. Make sure to post updates with how the fruiting goes!

--------------------
Trade List

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

#27333237 - 06/03/21 01:21 AM (12 days, 4 hours ago)

Yup, I just misted a bit above the sub, got tiny beads of water on mycelium, that should be fine.

The plan was originally to put them in a larger mono, I even bought one that could fit all three of them (I was optimistic :smile:), but I think it's too big to put just one inside. Considering Bod's shoebox tek, if you can just put a bag with holes on top during fruiting, I guess you can do pretty much anything and it will grow. The way I understand it, you just need enclosed space to keep in the moisture, but still allow FAE.

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
    #27333241 - 06/03/21 01:41 AM (12 days, 4 hours ago)

Yup! You got it. Enclosed space with some way of providing FAE. Even myco bags work and their filter patches don’t really provide too much FAE.

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

#27333413 - 06/03/21 06:42 AM (11 days, 23 hours ago)

Nice, hopefully I get some pins soon. Thank you for your help PitcherCrab :bow2:

Invisiblecoversall
إِنْ شَاءَ ٱللَهُ‎

Loc: संसार
    #27333421 - 06/03/21 06:54 AM (11 days, 23 hours ago)

those jars

:ohshi:

--------------------

..:: B E H E R E N O W ::..

..:: New? Lost? Click here! ::..
..:: Grow logs and other rubbish ::..

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: coversall]
    #27333547 - 06/03/21 09:41 AM (11 days, 20 hours ago)

Oh, I forgot the specify which jar made it through :laugh:

Out of all these, jar number 5 was the winner (bottom row, middle). 1,3 and 4 were tossed during spawning, while 2 and 6 (for which I thought had the most potential) only managed to grow cobwebs  :spiderrevenge:

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
    #27333639 - 06/03/21 10:54 AM (11 days, 19 hours ago)

Wow. I’m surprised you got anything out of those!

--------------------
Trade List

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
    #27333645 - 06/03/21 10:59 AM (11 days, 19 hours ago)

Quote:

Te0nanacatl said:
Nice, hopefully I get some pins soon. Thank you for your help PitcherCrab :bow2:

A good light really helps with pinning too. I just did some TOC and TWC and the TOC finished the first flush in 15 days from spawning and the TWC is juuuuuust starting now after over a month of being in fruiting. It all changed once I put an LED shoplight over them a couple days ago. Get something in the daylight spectrum (I use a 5600k bulb) and have it on a 12h on/12h off timer.

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

#27334525 - 06/04/21 01:23 AM (11 days, 4 hours ago)

I have some LED light lying around at ~6000k that I can put above the shoebox.
Is it good enough to have it shining through the lid, what do you think about something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Upgraded-Dimmable-Daylight-Adhesive/dp/B07XHLGSXN

I could put this on the underside of the lid, that way it's shining directly on the sub. Is it unnecessary?

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
    #27334544 - 06/04/21 01:52 AM (11 days, 4 hours ago)

Shining through the lid is perfect. That’s exactly what I do!

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

#27335874 - 06/05/21 03:16 AM (10 days, 2 hours ago)

The pins have arrived!!  :mushroomgrow:  :mushroomgrow:  :mushroomgrow:

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
    #27335896 - 06/05/21 03:53 AM (10 days, 2 hours ago)

Nice dude. Just let them do their thing and you will have mushrooms in no time!

--------------------
Trade List

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started