Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob
I'm a teapot User Gallery
First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful
    #27316513 - 05/20/21 04:44 PM (25 days, 13 hours ago)

I recently came into possession of a few quart jars of inoculated grain, and I will be attempting to spawn them this weekend. I have no experience with mushroom cultivation, until two weeks ago, but for the last two weeks I’ve been trying to read up as much as I can, so I have any shot at being successful.

These are the jars that I have, and I’m aware they look bad.

From what I know, they’ve been fully colonized for at least 3 months now, and a lot of them fell to various contaminations, these are the only ones that have “survived”. From what I’ve found, the suggested way to handle this situation is to do a G2G transfer, but I don’t have any PC at the moment, so I would like to try to spawn them, and see what happens. Also I have 5 strains in 6 jars, so I don’t have 6qt for a single monotub.

The plan is following:

I’m making CVG substrate in a cooler, letting it pasteurize overnight. I’m spawning to substrate in the morning, but first breaking up the cakes and dunking them for ~10 minutes using bottled water, to reduce the chance of contamination. The bathroom where I will be spawning in will be cleaned by 10% bleach, followed by 70% iso alcohol. Liners are already cut, will be sanitized also, and I’m putting everything in a 5qt, unmodified shoebox monotub. Ratio will be 1 to 1, again to give maximum chance to mycelium to develop in the sub.
Once all the tubs are filled with 2.5 inches of sub and spawn, I plan to put them in garbage bags, to limit FAE and light.

Questions are:

Will dunking the spawn help, or am I just risking already weak myc for no gain?

Is keeping them in garbage bags helping? The way I see it, I have to go with a shoebox since I have to go with 1/1 ratio to have any chance of this myc growing, but then I’m in danger of drying out because of a small tub + only 2.5 inches of sub. My hope is that the garbage bag will help with that. Should I sterilize the garbage bag if closed monotub is stored in it?

-----------

The last question is completely unrelated to this whole story, and it’s related to SABs. I also inherited a syringe with some LC in it (also some spore prints), and I would like to start working with agar. It seems more controlled to me than just inoculating jars immediately. The question is, is it possible instead of cutting out holes for hands, just to cut out the bottom of one of the sides, like so.

I did find similar images, something like this

And also a guy claiming that he took out an entire side off, but no definite answer, would this design be a bad idea?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAshtray161S
SettledNomad
Other

Loc: Rugby, England
Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Te0nanacatl]
    #27316521 - 05/20/21 04:53 PM (25 days, 13 hours ago)

Quote:

Te0nanacatl said:
I recently came into possession of a few quart jars of inoculated grain, and I will be attempting to spawn them this weekend. I have no experience with mushroom cultivation, until two weeks ago, but for the last two weeks I’ve been trying to read up as much as I can, so I have any shot at being successful.

These are the jars that I have, and I’m aware they look bad.

From what I know, they’ve been fully colonized for at least 3 months now, and a lot of them fell to various contaminations, these are the only ones that have “survived”. From what I’ve found, the suggested way to handle this situation is to do a G2G transfer, but I don’t have any PC at the moment, so I would like to try to spawn them, and see what happens. Also I have 5 strains in 6 jars, so I don’t have 6qt for a single monotub.

The plan is following:

I’m making CVG substrate in a cooler, letting it pasteurize overnight. I’m spawning to substrate in the morning, but first breaking up the cakes and dunking them for ~10 minutes using bottled water, to reduce the chance of contamination. The bathroom where I will be spawning in will be cleaned by 10% bleach, followed by 70% iso alcohol. Liners are already cut, will be sanitized also, and I’m putting everything in a 5qt, unmodified shoebox monotub. Ratio will be 1 to 1, again to give maximum chance to mycelium to develop in the sub.
Once all the tubs are filled with 2.5 inches of sub and spawn, I plan to put them in garbage bags, to limit FAE and light.

Questions are:

Will dunking the spawn help, or am I just risking already weak myc for no gain?

Is keeping them in garbage bags helping? The way I see it, I have to go with a shoebox since I have to go with 1/1 ratio to have any chance of this myc growing, but then I’m in danger of drying out because of a small tub + only 2.5 inches of sub. My hope is that the garbage bag will help with that. Should I sterilize the garbage bag if closed monotub is stored in it?

-----------

The last question is completely unrelated to this whole story, and it’s related to SABs. I also inherited a syringe with some LC in it (also some spore prints), and I would like to start working with agar. It seems more controlled to me than just inoculating jars immediately. The question is, is it possible instead of cutting out holes for hands, just to cut out the bottom of one of the sides, like so.

I did find similar images, something like this

And also a guy claiming that he took out an entire side off, but no definite answer, would this design be a bad idea?

Dude I hate to tell u this but i dont think a single one of those jars has mush mycelium in them. And if by some miracle a couple do they are not alone. I wouldnt spawn those... Its time to toss and restart mate :/
Sorry 4 ur loss

--------------------
I AM PRETTY NEW. ALWAYS FOLLOW A TRUSTED CULTIVATOR OR A PROPER TEK
Does it pee when you burn?

FELLOW NEWBS, START HERE: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24420178
We need to stop abusing drug users. CHICKENS EDDY!
ACABEvenYourDad Anything Helps :begger::begger::begger: Spanging for prints!

OfflinePBJ710
Strangler

#27316618 - 05/20/21 05:57 PM (25 days, 12 hours ago)

Jar 4 only looks pretty bad - the rest are complete trash - I wouldn't waste any time on them personally.

You need to start reading up on how to start spores on agar and once you have a clean culture growing you can start expanding it.  You WILL need a PC of some sort to expand it to grains.

The purpose of a SAB is to provide a place with almost NO air movement internally.  Giant openings (especially at the bottom where contaminents fall to) are generally frowned upon.  There's plenty of teks on how to easily make one that works well - why try to reinvent the wheel?

OfflineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: PBJ710]
    #27316777 - 05/20/21 08:03 PM (25 days, 10 hours ago)

to repeat the obvious, those jars are fucked
:pink:

moving on...assuming that LC is good (where is it from? how old is it?) you could inoc some new grain with it, but your safest bet is getting that spore print onto some agar. read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20111637

about the SAB, two little arm holes is just the best way to do it. deviating will only mess you up. before i figured out how to cut holes i tried just working with the tub on its side and it was a disaster

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23990913

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Bakedbeings]
    #27316853 - 05/20/21 09:22 PM (25 days, 9 hours ago)

Quote:

Te0nanacatl said:
I recently came into possession of a few quart jars of inoculated grain

You should slap whoever gave you those fucked up jars.

OfflineAshtray161S
SettledNomad
Other

Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: CocaineBuffet]
    #27316887 - 05/20/21 10:14 PM (25 days, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

CocaineBuffet said:
Quote:

Te0nanacatl said:
I recently came into possession of a few quart jars of inoculated grain

You should slap whoever gave you those fucked up jars.

:whathesaid: :abduction:

--------------------

FELLOW NEWBS, START HERE: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24420178

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob
Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Ashtray161]
    #27316975 - 05/21/21 12:28 AM (25 days, 5 hours ago)

I'm at peace with the fact that this spawning could completely fail, but I can't see what is the difference between throwing out the jars now, and spawning them, and throwing out the sub if it looks bad?
I would've wasted half a brick of coco coir, and a few cups of verm, but on the other hand I also get to practice making the sub and my sanitation technique.

Am I missing some obvious downside?

I understand they look bad, but most of them don't have obvious black/green/brown spots, and I'm hoping the yellow stuff is mostly myc discharge. But if some of them also smell bad, I probably won't even bother with spawning them. The reason I'm so hung up on attempting to do something with the jars is because they contain rare strains that I don't see me getting any other way. Also, if there is no potential problem other than wasted time and effort, I would still like to try. I can't get my hands on a PC for at least a week, so I wouldn't be doing anything else :laugh:

Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
about the SAB, two little arm holes is just the best way to do it. deviating will only mess you up. before i figured out how to cut holes i tried just working with the tub on its side and it was a disaster

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23990913

I've read all of Bod's tecks, I was just asking about the holes because I have big hands, so I would probably have to go bigger than even 6 inch, and at that point what is really the difference from cutting the bottom out? :laugh:

But yes, I will go with holes, I'll just get a few pieces of cardboard and test different sizes of holes.

OfflinePBJ710
Strangler

#27317004 - 05/21/21 01:45 AM (25 days, 4 hours ago)

Sorry to be the one to tell you this but they all have significant contamination going on. 

While you're certainly welcome to do it for the sake of science, I doubt you will learn anything other than how fucked up those jars were.

If you're having difficulty with the holes, you can heat the edge of a coffee can (or other simlar sized can) and melt through the plastic to create a nice round hole thats plenty big enough for my #8 1/4 gloves to easily go though :wink:

Don't get too hung up on genetic variety names unless there was something special about the specific culture.  I would bet most if not all could be found in the marketplace within a couple months...

InvisibleGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

#27317005 - 05/21/21 01:46 AM (25 days, 4 hours ago)

That`s for sure a bacterial mess, but your project honors you :thumbup:

Before you carry them to shoeboxes, i`d suggest the Josex' Poke: No Mercy for Bacteria.

To me the best method to cut down bacteria if you want to save your rare strains.
I had some heavy dirty syringes always performing well on brf pucks.
But we`re just talking bacteria, this wouldn`t work with mold.
It´s not much time you lose and i bet it will work.

Cutting the bottom out?
You want it standing upside down to have a flat surface.
If you have bigger hands, try to melt holes with an empty 5 liter beer barrel.
I did mine, they`re a hair over 6".
Empty it into your throat in one go, and start work :biggrin:

In the end i wanna say, i once had a jar that looked even worse than yours,
i spent to a shoebox and it produced one decent flush.
Bacteria isn`t the end of the road.

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob
Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Goatrider]
    #27317049 - 05/21/21 03:55 AM (25 days, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

PBJ710 said:
Don't get too hung up on genetic variety names unless there was something special about the specific culture.  I would bet most if not all could be found in the marketplace within a couple months...

I'm sure they can be found on the marketplace, but I'm not in USA or western EU, so I'm guessing my marketplace/trading options will be limited.

Quote:

Goatrider said:
Before you carry them to shoeboxes, i`d suggest the Josex' Poke: No Mercy for Bacteria.

This is sounds great, the only issue is I don't have PC yet, but I'll have it in a week or so. I will probably attempt to do it with the jars that really smell bad, I have nothing to lose :laugh:

Quote:

Goatrider said:
In the end i wanna say, i once had a jar that looked even worse than yours,
i spent to a shoebox and it produced one decent flush.
Bacteria isn`t the end of the road.

:cookiemonster:

That's the dream scenario, I would be beyond happy if only one of these gave me some fruits 

:manson:

OfflineAshtray161S
SettledNomad
Other

#27317724 - 05/21/21 05:54 PM (24 days, 12 hours ago)

I mean, do you my friend, honestly thou I just dont see much purpose in trying to spawn those. I would put real money down that theyre not gonna fruit.
Youll also be (and I dont think this is a huge deal like some people do but still) spreading a ton of endospores (from the bacteria) and fungal spores (from the mold) all over your grow/fruiting workspace.
Those are pretty far gone man. Again, I dont even know if there is any healthy cubie mycelium in those jars. I also dont make this as huge of a deal as others but there are legit health concerns from exposure to certain molds and (as im sure youre aware) bacteria. Botulism isnt something to fuck around with.

If i were you, id scrap those jars, clean em well, refill em, re knock em, start again.
I think ur just gonna waste time if u try and "save" those jars.
:2cents:

--------------------

InvisibleMycelium Juice
Here for the weed
 User Gallery

Loc: planet earth
Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Ashtray161] * 1
    #27317912 - 05/21/21 09:07 PM (24 days, 9 hours ago)

Look at that sweet, sexy, THIC mycelium juice  :inlove3:

:weirdout:

InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Mycelium Juice]
    #27317928 - 05/21/21 09:17 PM (24 days, 9 hours ago)

I had some jars like that too. About a 2 year experiment.
Mine went to the trash, Ill try spawning anything, but not that.

You wont be happy about the smell that comes out when you open them.

:shiiiiit:

Also, the foil could have come off those about 7 years ago.

Edited by Smartattack (05/21/21 09:19 PM)

InvisibleMycelium Juice
Here for the weed
 User Gallery

Re: First ever spawning to sub, any advice would be helpful [Re: Smartattack]
    #27317935 - 05/21/21 09:25 PM (24 days, 8 hours ago)

:whacker:

Jesus Smart!  Anyone else???  What ya got?!  Friday night just got turned up a notch

OfflineAshtray161S
SettledNomad
Other

#27317939 - 05/21/21 09:27 PM (24 days, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

Smartattack said:
I had some jars like that too. About a 2 year experiment.
Mine went to the trash, Ill try spawning anything, but not that.

:shiiiiit:

Also, the foil could have come off those about 7 years ago.

:sip:

--------------------

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

#27318140 - 05/22/21 01:49 AM (24 days, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

Ashtray161 said:
I mean, do you my friend, honestly thou I just dont see much purpose in trying to spawn those. I would put real money down that theyre not gonna fruit.
Youll also be (and I dont think this is a huge deal like some people do but still) spreading a ton of endospores (from the bacteria) and fungal spores (from the mold) all over your grow/fruiting workspace.

I'm definitely keeping that in mind, the shoeboxes will be kept in a completely separated room, nowhere near where I plan on keeping future monotubs. Also, I plan on scrubbing everything with 20% bleach solution.

Quote:

Smartattack said:

If that's the case I will just toss it. I still haven't opened these jars at any point, so I will smell them tonight for the first time. But, considering your jars look better than mine and they got tossed, it doesn't look good :laugh:
Again, I'm not very hopeful that this will succeed, it's just that I don't have anything better to do until the PC gets here, and I don't see any major risks with attempting to birth them.

But if they don't pass the smell test, I will probably just toss them :whiteflag:

InvisibleMycelium Juice
Here for the weed
 User Gallery

#27318232 - 05/22/21 05:05 AM (24 days, 1 hour ago)

I could always take them off your hands...

:cujo:

Edited by Mycelium Juice (05/22/21 05:42 AM)

OfflineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27318453 - 05/22/21 10:00 AM (23 days, 20 hours ago)

be VERY careful about the 'smell test'. i only smell mycelium that looks healthy just to double check. if something is VISIBLY contaminated theres no need to risk brain damage by inhaling a bunch of mystery microbes. if im not wrong someone on this site ended up in a coma that way

InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
    #27318591 - 05/22/21 11:38 AM (23 days, 18 hours ago)

Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
someone on this site ended up in a coma that way

Wut?

OfflineTe0nanacatl
Noob

#27318594 - 05/22/21 11:41 AM (23 days, 18 hours ago)

Quote:

Bakedbeings said:
be VERY careful about the 'smell test'. i only smell mycelium that looks healthy just to double check. if something is VISIBLY contaminated theres no need to risk brain damage by inhaling a bunch of mystery microbes. if im not wrong someone on this site ended up in a coma that way

I thought about that, I think the best approach would be like they taught us in chemistry regarding smelling potentially dangerous chemicals. Just cracking the jar and wafting the air with my hand towards my face.

I didn't plan on breathing in a lungful of some random spores/bacteria :laugh:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started