Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop for:   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed   eBay Lighters

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBigJim
Stranger
What could be the cause(s)?
    #2731317 - 05/26/04 09:25 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I've grown in the past using the PF tek (syringes came from PF himself). A little while ago I decided it would be nice to have a few shrooms again, so I ordered some syringes from one of the Shroomery's sponsors. Prepared the jars, innoculated - and nothing (two weeks). No spore germination, no contamination. The jars were completely cool, so the spores didn't get cooked. The brown rice was freshly ground. Incubation was at room temperature; apart from the syringe being a dud, can anybody think of a reason why my project went kaput? Thanks for any input,

Jim

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineprotocoldroid
synthtek aa
Loc: central ny
Re: What could be the cause(s)? [Re: BigJim]
    #2731335 - 05/26/04 09:34 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

what tek/substrate are you using?

anyhow, I had a similiar experience... in the past I used the PF tek and PF spores and I did great, then I switched to a new strain (also bought from reading about the vendor on 'ere) and WBS (wild bird seed) substrate -- and the same thing happened to me. The jars just seemed to colonize -slow-, took almost 10 days to even see some mycelium. At least from my observation... the PF tek is -a-lot- more forgiving of the growth parameters.

In my case... I think my jars were either too wet or too dry originally, and! they were too cold. Most recently i've had the jars at about 83 deg F and have been getting colonization pretty fast, even faster with a grain transfer (instead of from the spore syringe).

--------------------
-=/ "what is this electrofunk that's drivin' y'all crazy?" \=-
[disclaimer: a science-fiction post for a science-fiction world, this post is not intended to be true.]

OfflineIamthewalrus
every evening Idied and everynight I wasreborn
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #2731501 - 05/26/04 10:50 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

probably a dud syringe if your sure everything else was the same as before

Offlinephucknut68
Focker
Loc: shit mang
    #2731540 - 05/26/04 11:07 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You really have to check the moisture content even when you do the teks.......... It all depends on your substrate how much water it will hold. Too much and it will be too wet and nothing will grow. Try to squeeze to field capacity. Also dont use a bic lighter to sterilize the syringe. Its not necessary and I think it causes problems.

One way to see what went wrong it to take the substrate out and squeeze it to see if its at "field capacity." When you squeeze it only a few drops of water should come out.

They should go just fine at room temp, there was another problem.

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-|:---- Doctor Of Journalism -----:|-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-|:---- S M C -----:|-=-=-=-=-

OfflineIamthewalrus
every evening Idied and everynight I wasreborn
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Re: What could be the cause(s)? [Re: phucknut68]
    #2731641 - 05/26/04 11:55 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I have never once used a lighter to sterlize...completely unecessary.....ALL you need is to wipe the needle with rubbing alcohol on some tissue paper or cotton balls or something and it works everytime

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
    #2731644 - 05/26/04 11:56 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If you have some sporewater left in the syringe, try germinating them on agar and/or honeywater (better on agar). If they still don?t germinate, call the vendor and ask for a new syringe.
If you don?t have any liquid left in your syringe, make sure you did everything right before you complain, cause many times is the growers fault and not the vendor spores quality. Just my opinion  :cool:

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

OfflineBigJim
Stranger
Re: What could be the cause(s)? [Re: Semilanceata]
    #2733484 - 05/26/04 07:09 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty sure I did everything like I did in the past; I innoculated some more jars doing everything the same and they are growing nicely. I think it was the syringe.

Another question: while I intend on doing a bulk tek in the future I'm still going to start some more PF tek jars. When I bought from PF I used his PF strain; are there any of the numerous Cubensis strains out there that do not do well/grow slowly on the PF substrate formula? Thanks again for any help,

Jim

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop for:   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed   eBay Lighters

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation