Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Shroomery University

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBuckomcdoogle
Backwoods distillation expert
 User Gallery

want to learn about "moonshinin"? I'm your guy. * 1
    #26913189 - 09/02/20 07:36 AM (9 months, 4 days ago)

Feeling restless....

Ive noticed there are a number of threads that often come up on the shroomery about home brewing/distilling....

When I was 19-20, I had a number of things I was trying to get away from.

Somehow I had met this older hippie couple that offered me room, board and home cooking for my willingness to work.

Lets call the guy "MOSS"

So MOSS was from east texas, him and his wife moved to the PNW to raise their kids in relative safety and peace.

MOSS knew a local metal guy that would make stills for the right people.

He had this beautiful hand made 502 stainless steal column still....
It now rests in a secret spot in the woods only I know about...

Anyway, home made spirits are a very common very traditional thing in the deep south.

So basically for people who don't know, distillation is simply a method of extracting something from something else.

In essence the simplest way to explain it.

Alcohol vaporizes at a much lower temp than water does.
Its literally just a way of extracting and concentrating alcohol from a liquid.

Distilled beer= whiskey
Distilled wine= brandy or (burned wine in dutch)

What a still does.... is it collects this vapor, and cools it down enough to where it becomes a liquid again....

There is this old wives tale that homebrew can make you go blind.
This is largely false.

Back in the old days the reason people would get sick/go blind is unscrupulous persons would distill industrial alcohol and sell it to people.
That or they would make stills out of sketchy materials.

(DO NOT ATTEMPT MAKING A HOMEMADE STILL UNLESS YOU ARE VERY WISE WITH METALLURGY )
If you use the wrong metal you could very well end up poisoning youRself.

Industrial types of alcohol may contain large amounts of methanol, which is a byproduct of the fermentation process.

METHANOL...... Methanol is extremely toxic and is found in fairly large quantities in many industrial use alcohols.

Methanol vaporizes at an even lower temp than ethanol does....

Ever hear about the "foreshot"?
Its the first couple shots you throw out when distilling a mash, the reason you do this is, all of the methanol that might be found in say a fruit mash is very volatile and will vaporize at an even lower temp than the ethanol.
(I like to take that stuff and throw it in a bonfire if i have one going nearby, 10 foot flame, its badass)

Its also great for cleaning purposes.

Infact.... whenever I knock up jars, this is exactly what I use for clean flame...

So basically, when you are distilling a mash, the still will drip small gradual amounts, you essentially need to taste these drips the whole time.
If you decide to do 2-3 mashes in one sitting, you will be HAMMED off those small drips.

The highest proof stuff comes out first, it is typically divided into 3 categories.

HEADS = very high proof 180+
HEARTS =150 proof - 180 (a traditional Russian vodka or SAMAGON)
TAILS = 150- (the lower it gets the more it tastes like vermouth)

"LEAD BURNS RED AND MAKES YOU DEAD"

If you have extracted a clean spirit from your mash, it WILL burn blue.....

Clean ethanol burns blue, any other color is impurities.

Put some in a spoon and set it on fire.

The longer and more violently it burns, the higher the proof is.

Another test of quality spirits....

SHAKE IT....

Small bubbles that last a long time = a lower proof.

A 190 proof spirit will have a tornado effect when you shake it, the bubbles will disappear very quickly....

My next point.....
Spirits in the 180+ range can be very dangerous...
Especially if its very good....

When alcohol is concentrated like that, with a 180 proof spirit...
Literally every shot = 2 1/2 regular shots....

Which would make it very easy to drink yourself to death if you are careless..

This is not a hobby for those who cannot handle alcohol.

If theres a chance 7 beers might kill you stay the fuck away.

If not this is a very rewarding hobby with lots of room for creativity.

I am always here if there are any questions about it..

"HERES TO YOUR FUCK"
CHEERS

--------------------
"Nothing is more dangerous to your creativity than comfort and familiarity"

"Logic leads to nihilism..."

Edited by Buckomcdoogle (09/03/20 01:39 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepugster
Stranger
Re: want to learn about "moonshinin"? I'm your guy. [Re: Buckomcdoogle]
    #26913529 - 09/02/20 12:48 PM (9 months, 4 days ago)

ive been distilling for about 20 yrs now as a hobby , it easy enough once you have done it a few times and pre made equipment is readily available for home use (as well as an alchometer so you are not guessing proofs ).
i use a small pot still (20ltrs) - i do a stripping run down to about 10% (chucking the foreshots) then a spirit run , theres lots of little tricks you learn along the way such as using bicarb to clean up a stripping run and using glycerine for artifical ageing.

you can make some pretty hairy drinks from botanicals - ive made absinthe using dale pendells recipe many times with a few tweeks here and there for personal preference.

home distiller is a good site to learn
https://homedistiller.org/forum/

Edited by pugster (09/02/20 12:52 PM)

OfflineBuckomcdoogle
 User Gallery

Re: want to learn about "moonshinin"? I'm your guy. [Re: pugster]
    #26914004 - 09/02/20 05:53 PM (9 months, 4 days ago)

"you can make some pretty hairy drinks from botanicals - ive made absinthe using dale pendells recipe many times with a few tweeks here and there for personal preference."

What other botanicals have you tried?

Ive had decent success using camomile.

Most of the time ive avoided it simply because of the large amounts you would need for a 5 gallon run.

Have you ever attempted extracting any essential oils?
Its crazy what they charge for that stuff at co ops.

--------------------

Offlinepugster
Stranger
    #26914793 - 09/03/20 02:25 AM (9 months, 3 days ago)

ive never tried to make any essential oils- they are cheap enough to buy if you want to use them compared to the trouble and amount of herbs you need to use to make the smallest amount (they are also a pain in the arse to remove smells /tastes if you only have one still .

ive used lots of botanicals over the years making absinthe /gin and many othered flavoured drinks.
its easy enough to find most ingredients for drinks so you can try making your own (either with distilling in pot (such as gin)  or using maceration (such as lemoncillo )
i agree with you 100% regarding being careful with strong drinks such as absinthe as people have a tendancy when drunk to drink alot more - with drink such as absinthe its really easily to kill yourself without realising what you are drinking.
some time these days i just use the store bought flavourings to add to homemade vodka - there some decent ones about and they can be tweeked (such as adding oak chips to a whiskey flavouring to help age it) - glycerine (bought froma cgemist shop for sore throats) will also make any alchohol smooth enough to chug at an alarming rate (1-2 teaspoon per litre is all you need)

OfflineCyonic
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27124184 - 01/03/21 05:24 PM (5 months, 5 days ago)

So are you saying that making moonshine from fruits and sugars does not produce any poison that needs to be discarded, and that that is a rumor that started from people distilling denatures ethonal that contained methonal?

I made a batch once and it was great.

I just added five or ten pounds of evaporated cane juice, a couple of pounds of organic wheat bran and put it in a five gallon bucket that was almost full with water and a couple of packets of baking yeast.

After a couple of week, that alcoholic solution was put in a homemade still.

I don't know what the proof was, but the the product was excellent.

I did a couple of shots, and it was the smoothest, highest quality alcohol I have ever had hands down.

I got pretty fucked up, and it lasted all day long.

I was fucked up but it wasn't the same as drinking commercial alcohol. For how intoxicated I was I should have been slurring, staggering etc way more than I wathe whole experience was just an all around smoother experience than I was used to from drinking hard stuff, and this stuff was the hardest stuff I had ever has so one would think those negative effects of intoxication would be stronger.

I've had some expensive tequilas, and high quality organic alcohols that are similar to that.

I've also bought the cheapest vodka money could buy and have run that through a still too.

The purpose of doing that was I was making ethonal for doing extractions, but I tried a little of the finished product. A few days later I tried the product straight from the bottle as I bought it and it was awful.

The quality of what comes out of the still was hundreds of times better than what went in the still; less slurring and staggering, more control, smoother buzz tase and smoother in the belly less hangover.

Makes you wonder what exactly is in store bought booze.

When I drank I drank Stolichnaya which is not the worst vodka by any means but the garbage vodka that I ran through the still came out way better than Stoli ANY day.

I don't drink any more but I'd like to get a little still going anyway.

Iake alcohol all the time. I've got a five gallon bucket brewing right now.

The reason I brew alcohol is because of two things:

1 thing is because I'm actually culturing wild yeast and producing an article about for gardening.plants and soil love diluted alcohol. I don't imagine the wine I'making atm will have a percentage higher than 10% which will I use at dilution rates of 1/500-1/1000 as in a tablespoon a gallon would be extra strong.

I use all wild yeasts which are different than bakers yeast. They are a fraction of the size when viewed at 400× magnification, they also convert less of the sugar into carbon dioxide synthesize proteins and other stuff more so than bakers yeast.i also the ntend on using the wine to make extractions of things also for use in the garden such as roots from plants that are known to ward off gophers.it would be great to have a nice little still to extract the ethonal from my wines for making extracts!

OfflineBuckomcdoogle
 User Gallery

Re: want to learn about "moonshinin"? I'm your guy. [Re: Cyonic]
    #27231476 - 03/01/21 05:40 AM (3 months, 10 days ago)

Methanol · Boiling point
Methanol · Boiling point
148.46°F (64.70°C)

Ethanol · Boiling point
173.07°F (78.37°C)

The methanol is going to boil out of the mash a long time before the ethanol will.

It will almost certainly end up in the first shot of distillate.

Methanol-148
Ethanol-173
h2o-212

At the end of the day the effects of alcohol on the human body ARE a form of poisoning.
All alcohol is bad for you, however, a pure spirit, free from additives and artificial coloring, is clearly the more wholesome drink.

Edited by Buckomcdoogle (03/01/21 06:21 AM)

OfflineOGshroomHead
Dopefiend
Male

Loc: Terrapin Station
Re: want to learn about "moonshinin"? I'm your guy. [Re: Buckomcdoogle] * 1
    #27235962 - 03/03/21 10:35 PM (3 months, 7 days ago)

If its just for personal use why not use fractional distillation in lab glass? You can use a water aspirator to make a vacuum and distill at low temperatures. When I was 15 years old I made a still out of a pressure cooker and some copper tubing but it leaked to much. I made rum and corn liquor but it took 3-4 hours to get maybe 250ml. You could buy lab glass and speed up the distillation. A 2000ML boiling flask set to fractional distillation would yield a 750ML bottle with the right yeast and nutrients. It probably wouldn't take more than an hour under vacuum.

--------------------
How he could be a good user of LSD," I asked, "And know about the spiritual dimension - all that sort of thing - and still be a crook? I don't understand."
"Then it's time you did. Psychedelic drugs don't change you - they don't change you character - unless you want to be changed. They enable change; they can't impose it...
Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

OfflineBuckomcdoogle
 User Gallery

Re: want to learn about "moonshinin"? I'm your guy. [Re: OGshroomHead]
    #27242570 - 03/08/21 02:16 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Lab glass would be great, the problem is, it isn't very rugged.
Ive had literally 1000s of dollars in weed glass break on me over the years.
A large copper or stainless steel pot/column still would work much better if you were doing any level of quantity.

Mine is a 5 gallon

if you have a mash in the 20% range a 5 gallon mash would give you about a whole gallon of 180+ proof.
People will pay 50$ for a quart of quality 180 range all day long.
It also makes for a great gift.

Typically mashes settle in the 10-15% range I would say the largest factor is what kind of yeast you use.
Bread yeast works fine, ive just never gotten it to go past 12-13%

--------------------

OfflineHomerhemp
Not your dad
Male

#27279142 - 04/23/21 12:11 PM (1 month, 19 days ago)

I try to keep my ferments around 8% alcohol. I don’t want to get any off flavors by pushing the yeast. I ferment 30 gallons at a time and do two strip runs followed by a spirit run. I have a 15.5 gallon boiler and a 5 gallon thumper.

OfflinePFwarrior
Weirdo
Male
Loc: Vegas
Re: want to learn about "moonshinin"? I'm your guy. [Re: Homerhemp]
    #27310376 - 05/15/21 10:43 PM (27 days, 23 hours ago)

Hell yeah another hobby I love, sounds like you got it down right homerhemp. Been a few years since I have made anything, but I have a few plated columns with inline thumpers that are amazing,best flavor profile I have had with those.i have made all types of stills, pot, vapor managment, liquid management, and 3"/4"plated, with all types of things in-between. Have a few boilers, a 5, 15 and, 30 gallon.Usually did all grain with enzymes to help the malt convert to around 8-10% then piggybacked the grain with sugar. Again to about 8%.

Edited by PFwarrior (05/15/21 10:44 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

General Interest >> Shroomery University