Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineferret
strange

Loc: VIC, Australia
Aussie Bluing Gym pt.2: Purpurata?
    #2731032 - 05/26/04 05:08 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

continuing my search for purpurata
found these on a dead log, not pine this time

what do youse reckon?

this last gym came from the same area as last years post, Aussie Bluing Gymnopilus?? 

GG? bm, mj? anyone?
this find made my day, whatever it is :grin:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibletryptonite
mushroom ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: aussie
Re: Aussie Bluing Gym pt.2: Purpurata? [Re: ferret]
    #2731060 - 05/26/04 05:41 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Great shots ferret!  :thumbup:

--------------------

Ps. Subaeruginosa fruiting in native eucalypt forest, on woodchips, on a pine cone and P. subbalteatus in a horse pasture - South AUS
Entheogen Trade List

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #2731124 - 05/26/04 06:43 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

looks a bit weird there fez - bluestainer?

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2731214 - 05/26/04 08:29 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Hm..

Those have a partial veil? Yes-no?

They look gymnopilus-esc, but they also sort of remind me of "Gilled Boletes"..but the gilled boletes typically don't grow from logs..i dont think

That fourth picture is interesting how when you cut the mushroom in half you see the flesh is tinged with a purplish/pink/lavender..

Did any of these show blue or green on them?

What type of tree log was it growing on?

Is there a partial veil on any of them?

Offlineferret
strange

Re: Aussie Bluing Gym pt.2: Purpurata? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #2731339 - 05/26/04 09:36 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for hoppen in fellas
they had very thin remnants stuck on the stem , coloured yellow-orange from spores. you can see it best in the second pic, big shroom.

ah, there were some spots of blue/green. but i didnt really show any well ,there is one small dot in first pic, just left of that big crack. one little freckle.
the two caps i have printing got knocked around a bit in my bag and have heaps of blueing.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2735826 - 05/27/04 10:15 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Ok i see that blue/green splotch on the cap in the first pic.

And you say that the mushrooms blued afterwards, when drying? What it blue, or blue-green, or green, or what?

What type of tree-log did you find them on? Its very helpful to know what type of tree (pine, oak, ect.) the Gymn's are growing from to aid in identification.

My Gymnopilus monograph was made in the 60's- or 70's and G purpurata was not described before then or in that monograph, but now i remember that it is in Psilocybe Mushrooms of the World book, ill have to have a look at that also.

This works easier if i have the paper right here in front of the computer with me.

What is the average diameter of the pileus (cap)? In centimeters, they look kind big

Would you describe the cap color as reddish, or lavender, or, purple, or what?

Try to post some pics of the dried specimens also, as that helps in identifying Gymnopilus.

Did you notice the mushrooms change in color alot once they dried?

Are the gills of each mushroom the same color respectively through maturity? do they change or fade different yellow as they grow and mature?

I can usually get a really good guess on them with the monograph, and be about 95% certain of the species, but then you will also need to have them looked at under a microscope to be completely certain of a Gymnopilus identity. Spores and Gills under a microscope.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2735999 - 05/27/04 11:07 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

WEll I just posted a few days ago in a similar thread photographs of G. purpurata.

HEr eis the data o n its occurence.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

This species was first identified from Australia by mycologist John Burton Cleland as Flammula Purpurata (derived from the Latin Purpuratus, clad in purple). Cleland described this species as being found on fallen trunks of wood. Gymnopilus purpuratus is an agaric identified from the austral floral zone and was first collected in Chile. This species blues easily, taste very bitter and is probably hallucinogenic. 1992 chemical analysis of collections from Germany by Dr. Jochen Gartz of the University of Leipzig and others have demonstrated high levels of psilocin and low levels of baeocystin. Dr. Gartz reported that "since 1983, this species has been observed on heaps of pig dung and woodchips in the district Rostock, Northern G. D. R. (East Germany). It seems that this species was introduced (into Germany) with grain from Argentina used for pig forage." Gartz also noted that this species stains blue when handled and was found to be exempt of other tryptamines, muscarine, and urea. Recently, this species was reported by Australian mycologists Shepherd and Totterdell (1990) as gregarious on rotted wood.

mj

Offlineferret
strange

#2746011 - 05/30/04 09:33 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

ok i got some more pics when i got home

the caps had greeny spots already, then bruised mostly blue which turned half of one cap purple

not sure what kind of tree ill have another look tomorrow, living trees around it were pine eucalypt and acacia.

caps were about 6-9cm,
okay they were they were browny-red when i found them, brown-red/purple was they dried out.

now they are dry they are dark browny purple
gills darken with age to a very rusty orange

ah il put dry pics on tomorrow.
bet you cant wait

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2747163 - 05/30/04 04:58 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Confusing...

Offlineferret
strange

#2749348 - 05/31/04 10:07 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

ha.. okay then , heres another patch to confuse you. :smirk:

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #2755902 - 06/02/04 07:04 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

go on Fez - eat 'em! I dare ya!!

--------------------

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: Aussie Bluing Gym pt.2: Purpurata? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2756022 - 06/02/04 09:40 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Holy shit. That's looking good man.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: Aussie Bluing Gym pt.2: Purpurata? [Re: superblingtheory]
    #2756025 - 06/02/04 09:43 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I donate my services for testing! It will be an honor to serve.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2756770 - 06/02/04 02:53 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

heres another patch to confuse you

haha, thanks;

Well, they are certainly Gymnopilus mushrooms. And certainly active to some degree (judging from the blue and blue/green splotches/stains that they exhibit).

They most-likely do in-fact contain psychoactive properties, But (for me) without a positive identification of the species, it should be viewed as bad-form to just "bioassay" an unidentified mushroom (of any kind) just because it shows promise of being psychoactive. Not to state the obvious but, eating any unidentified fungi, is of course a risk!

Do take note: That Gymnopilus mushrooms are not very privy to have the same reaction on everyones bodies, some people react badly to "other" toxins contained inside of them, meaning, other than the psychoactive chemicals there (in Gymnopilus) are other chemicals that can make people sick.. possibly even damage liver &/or kidney organs. Other's (peoples bodies) react fine to eating them though.
-So, this is how the consumption of Gymnopilus mushrooms is unlike eaching from familys of mushrooms in the Panaeolus, Psilocybe & Copelandia's

My books are in my apartment and i have no computer there, so i am again without my Gymno-book.

I did however take a look through the listings of Gymnopilus mushrooms throughout different countries (Gartz/Guzman/Allen), and (if i am remembering correctly, only 2 psychoactive Gymn's have been recorded to grow there; one being purpurata, and the other (I think) was G. spectabilis.

....you must have found yourself some "purps"!~
-I see your mushrooms not falling into any other catagories, but the purp
--Thats not a valid identification obviously

Awesome score, keep on looking for the Gymns and sharing with us..

GG

Offlinepluteus
level-9 deviant

Loc: London area, UK
    #2758179 - 06/02/04 09:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

B.J. Rees et al. (2004). A tale of two species?possible origins of red to purple-coloured Gymnopilus species in Europe. Australasian Mycologist 22 (2): 57?72.

ABSTRACT
Reports of exotic purple-coloured Gymnopilus species from separate locations in Europe have sparked interest in whether the species are native to the areas where they are found, or have been introduced recently with wood or with plants. Four of these collections have been investigated by morphological and also molecular means where possible, and compared with similar species from the Southern Hemisphere. Although some variation in character states is present, both sets of data confirm the presence of two separate, but closely related species Gymnopilus dilepis and Gymnopilus purpuratus both of which are also found in Australia. Gymnopilus mullaunius from Australia is reduced to synonymy with Gymnopilus purpuratus.

>>these European findings were in southern England - Norfolk & London/Surrey<<

Offlineferret
strange

Re: Aussie Bluing Gym pt.2: Purpurata? [Re: pluteus]
    #2759490 - 06/03/04 04:09 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

awesome, i have been checking various aussie fungi books at the library and there seems to be a lot of unidentified gyms in australia, or at least very variable species. hmm cheers pluteus, il have to find a descriptn for G. dilepsis

GG, my gyms will keep comin is assure you

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Aussie Bluing Gym pt.2: Purpurata? [Re: pluteus]
    #2759859 - 06/03/04 09:11 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Gymnopilus purpuratus IS from the Austeral Floral zone which includes Chile and Argentina as well as Australia. G. purpuratus has been in Germany since the early 1980s.

Here is a brief note about its occurence in Australia.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Gymnopilus Purpuratus (Cooke & Masse) Singer
Documented Locations: Port Lincoln and Big Swamp, South Australia; Victoria, and Western Australia. This species was first identified from Australia by mycologist John Burton Cleland as Flammula Purpurata (derived from the Latin Purpuratus, clad in purple). Cleland described this species as being found on fallen trunks of wood. Gymnopilus purpuratus is an agaric identified from the austral floral zone and was first collected in Chile. This species blues easily, taste very bitter and is probably hallucinogenic. 1992 chemical analysis of collections from Germany by Dr. Jochen Gartz of the University of Leipzig and others have demonstrated high levels of psilocin and low levels of baeocystin. Dr. Gartz reported that "since 1983, this species has been observed on heaps of pig dung and woodchips in the district Rostock, Northern G. D. R. (East Germany). It seems that this species was introduced (into Germany) with grain from Argentina used for pig forage." Gartz also noted that this species stains blue when handled and was found to be exempt of other tryptamines, muscarine, and urea. Recently, this species was reported by Australian mycologists Shepherd and Totterdell (1990) as gregarious on rotted wood.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I can varify its potency having eaten them on several ocassions from the German collections of Gartz. The species is widespread in Eastern Germany. And is definitely a psilocybian mushroom.

I have posted some images of it in natural habitat in Germany and also of soem from Collections Gartz grew outdoors on his properties in Germany.

ANd from places in punblic gardens.

mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Aussie Bluing Gym pt.2: Purpurata? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2759864 - 06/03/04 09:16 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Cooke and Masse first identified this mushroom as Gymnopilus purpuratus, and later mycologist Rolf Singer ammended it.

mj

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification