Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Onlinemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

Multifractal's Growlog (Currently: BRF jars -> bulk substrate + Melmak/TAT/PE cultivation)
    #27310113 - 05/15/21 07:07 PM (28 days, 3 hours ago)

Hello.

So I decided I'd like to document my progress in my first real attempt to cultivate fruiting bodies. I tried to post on the "Grow Logs" subsection but didn't see an option to, maybe due to my relatively low post count? In any case if I'm not supposed to make posts like this here please let me know.

Some months ago I inoculated 4 2-qt BRF/vermiculite jars with cubensis spores and let them go unchecked for around 40 days. By this point they were just about colonized but still had some time to go. I had recently read about extracting psilocybin from mycelium rather than mushrooms and was intrigued as this seemed like the easiest route. So rather than attempt to fruit I mixed the mycelium with 95% ethanol and used my freezer to aid in precipitation. I figured that nearly 8 qts of spawn would result in a decent extraction but the end result was rather disappointing.  After several extractions and evaporations I was left with a faint crystalline solid. If I had to estimate I would say it probably was no more than 10 mg all in all. A..."bioassay" revealed that it was indeed psychoactive but for all of the work I put into the extraction I felt the fruits of my labor was not well worth it.

So on May 11, 2021 I prepared 10 1/2 pint BRF/vermiculite jars. I do not have a pressure cooker so I simply steam sterilized them over the course of 90 minutes. For the record, the jars were in contact with the water and the bottom of the pot for the duration of the sterilization, which I know is not recommended. After letting the jars cool for about 6 hours, I took them to my freshly made SAB:

And inoculated each with a B+ spore solution contained in a syringe. I flame sterilized the needle after each injection. Unfortunately, I was having a bit of a struggle depressing the plunger in the substrate and accidentally shot one jars with around 3 ml of solution. This caused me to have to use much less for about 4 of the 10 jars but I'm not too concerned.

After each jar was inoculated I placed them in a cabinet:

Note that the jars are uncovered and the holes do not have micropore tape on them. When I colonized my 4 2-qt jars I left them uncovered like this and didn't have any contamination problems so I'm going to give it another go this way.

Today, about 4 days after inoculation, I checked my jars and saw the first signs of growth/spore germination in one:

(the jar with the purple "1" on it)
Exciting!

I plant to spawn these jars to a bulk coir substrate when they are done colonizing through the use of unmodified monotubs. If all goes well I'd like to spawn the cakes split between two 7.2 qt tubs or something like that.

Anyway, I will update this thread, as long as it's still here for updating, as time goes on.

If anyone has any pointers or constructive advice please share.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by multifractal (06/11/21 12:10 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMr.Wizard
Harbinger of Hallucination
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Grow Log (BRF jars -> bulk substrate) [Re: multifractal]
    #27310139 - 05/15/21 07:33 PM (28 days, 3 hours ago)

Good luck!

One thing I would immediately look into is steam sterilization times. I PC my grain at least 2 hours. A 90 minute steam seems short - but if you've had success good on ya!

Invisiblearpeggiator
A Friend
Male

Loc: Hyperspace
Re: First Time Grow Log (BRF jars -> bulk substrate) [Re: Mr.Wizard]
    #27310145 - 05/15/21 07:41 PM (28 days, 3 hours ago)

Man you did your due diligence in reading up on teks! Nice job using the SAB and not wiping your syringe after flaming.

Excited to see how you do! Good luck man.

--------------------

Onlinemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Grow Log (BRF jars -> bulk substrate) [Re: Mr.Wizard]
    #27312528 - 05/17/21 02:55 PM (26 days, 8 hours ago)

Edited by multifractal (05/23/21 05:36 AM)

Onlinemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

#27317903 - 05/21/21 08:54 PM (22 days, 2 hours ago)

Just thought I'd put in a quick update. We're 10 days out from inoculation at this point. So far I'm seeing signs of germination in at least 7 out of the 10 jars. Very encouraging. I recently got an AA 930 pressure cooker and a bunch of free spores from some very generous folks. I'll be putting some AA+ to agar in the near future.

OnlineAshtray161S
SettledNomad
Other

Loc: Rugby, England
    #27317920 - 05/21/21 09:12 PM (22 days, 1 hour ago)

Quote:

multifractal said:
Just thought I'd put in a quick update. We're 10 days out from inoculation at this point. So far I'm seeing signs of germination in at least 7 out of the 10 jars. Very encouraging. I recently got an AA 930 pressure cooker and a bunch of free spores from some very generous folks. I'll be putting some AA+ to agar in the near future.

Noice! :smile:

--------------------
I AM PRETTY NEW. ALWAYS FOLLOW A TRUSTED CULTIVATOR OR A PROPER TEK
Does it pee when you burn?

FELLOW NEWBS, START HERE: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24420178
We need to stop abusing drug users. CHICKENS EDDY!
ACABEvenYourDad Anything Helps :begger::begger::begger: Spanging for prints!

Onlinemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Grow Log (BRF jars -> bulk substrate) [Re: Ashtray161]
    #27323225 - 05/26/21 12:15 AM (17 days, 22 hours ago)

I know this is just another picture of jars but I was so surprised to see how they caught up with each other. Strong, consistent growth in 8 out of 10 jars.

This is officially 2 weeks from inoculation.

As others have commented, MSS inoculation takes a long for germination to occur but once it gets started it is surprisingly quick.

Edited by multifractal (05/26/21 12:26 AM)

Onlinemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

#27335691 - 06/04/21 10:33 PM (8 days, 27 minutes ago)

9 jars are still chugging along albeit quite slowly which I read might be a characteristic of B+. The best jar is about 95% colonized and the worst is maybe 60% so it might be another 2 weeks or longer until I could prepare my bulk substrate.

In the meantime, I prepared some agar as follows:
For my agar I used 10 grams of agar agar powder, 10 grams of BRF, 5 grams of dry active yeast, and 5 drops of blue food coloring to 500 ml of water. (I chose not to filter the mixture.) Mixed everything together, brought it to a boil in my microwave in a large glass measuring cup, then poured it into two 280 ml Martinelli apple juice bottles (highly recommend their juice, especially the unfiltered variety; it's pretty much all I drink.) PC'd at ~17 PSI for 30 minutes with loose lids covered snugly by foil, removed immediately when safe, tightened the lids, then put the bottle in a water bath sitting at roughly 140 F according to a meat thermometer :tongue:. The thermometer was really not working well, going to have to buy an actual one, so ended up just taking the bottles to my SAB when I could handle them comfortably.

(I can't stop bragging about this AA 930 in really good shape that I bought for $63.90 at a pawn shop owned by a neighbor of mine. Not bad for a first PC)

In the wiped down and sprayed SAB, I did a rather rough job of pouring the agar in pre sterilized plastic petri dishes. For a few dishes I did not pour a sufficient amount of media or else I did not "swish" around the dish resulting in bare areas. Hopefully this won't be a problem. As I poured I stacked them resulting in 23 dishes in two stacks. I let these cool in the SAB for maybe an hour before wrapping them in cling wrap. For this I took a serrated bread knife and cut roughly a roughly 1.5 inch segment of the plastic wrap roll. This worked really well except I did removed the closed petri dishes briefly from my SAB to wrap them but I was in a pretty still air environment so I'm not too concerned about this, it was just difficult to maneuver in my relatively small SAB:

If I had to give recommendations, I would say to maybe let them cool off a lot longer before wrapping them. This might help cut down on the condensation, which I am experiencing to some amount. It's very fine condensation and is dissipating but it still could probably be avoided better.

After wrapping the plates, I placed them into a clean 30 qt plastic tote. 4 hours later I placed 8 plates into my SAB for inoculation. To ensure some chance at germination I decided to break off the tips of my spore swabs and shove them into the agar. For two plates I did remove some of the swab with tweezers to see how that works out. All in all I ended up doing 3 PE plates, 2 Melmak, and 2 TAT. I wrapped them with fresh plastic then placed them back into the tote along with the virgin plates awaiting transfers.

(Mind the condensation)

This was a pretty smooth process in retrospect but results are yet to be seen, good or bad. The tips I would give you would be
-pour the agar at as cool a temp as possible
-give the plates ample time to cool in your SAB before wrapping in the material of your choice (in my naive opinion I'd recommend plastic wrap)
-check out Martinelli's apple juice

I'm excited to see where this goes. I've been reading about how using an agar mix that is similar nutrient-wise to the substrates the resident mycelium will be colonizing can be helpful to reduce recovery times. This might not be so significant but I was thinking next time to use a coir water + oat water base and compare it against the recipe I used today.

Edited by multifractal (06/05/21 01:31 AM)

OnlineAshtray161S
SettledNomad
Other

#27335802 - 06/05/21 12:58 AM (7 days, 22 hours ago)

10gBRF? In agar?

--------------------

FELLOW NEWBS, START HERE: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24420178

Onlinemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

#27335813 - 06/05/21 01:12 AM (7 days, 21 hours ago)

yup

Quote:

bodhisatta said:

I personally like to use, in give or take this order
Grain Soak Water agar(save water from hydration of grain spawn add 20g/L Agar-Agar powder)
BRF agar (20g/L BRF and Agar-Agar)
MEA, malt extract agar. Use light malt extract for homebrewing at 20g/L
YPD, yeast peptone dextrose agar, I buy this premade and use as is
PDA, I just kind of wing this one every time I use it

Edited by multifractal (06/05/21 01:14 AM)

OfflineBig_Dub
waiting
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #27338078 - 06/06/21 11:06 PM (5 days, 23 hours ago)

Quote:

Ashtray161 said:
10gBRF? In agar?

They love that shit :sporedrop:

--------------------
Math is life
Salvia Divinorum Grow Log

OnlineAshtray161S
SettledNomad
Other

Re: First Time Grow Log (BRF jars -> bulk substrate) [Re: Big_Dub]
    #27338851 - 06/07/21 02:24 PM (5 days, 8 hours ago)

I'll have to give it a try

--------------------

Onlinemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

#27343683 - 06/10/21 11:46 PM (1 day, 23 hours ago)

Tuesday, June 8th, was the 4 week anniversary of my BRF jar inoculation. I inoculated 10 jars. One jar never showed any growth, contamination or otherwise. Not sure what happened there but when I removed the lid to clean it out there was no noticeable smell and the substrate was still in good condition. Beats me. The other 9 jars are doing very well with the slowest one at about 75%. Today, June 10th, my fastest growing jar, in which I injected at least triple the amount of spore solution than used in any other, completed colonization. I noticed a strange looking object in the jar that, with great relief, I realized is a pin! This is officially the first mushrooms I have ever grown so feel free to make me a TC:

(the uncolonized part is just the verm layer)

It's a little difficult to see in the picture but in person the orange-brown cap is visible.

I have decided to create two mini unmodified monotubs, one with 4 shredded cakes and the other with 5, using just hydrated coir for substrate. I plan to start this process as soon as 3 other jars are done colonizing. Recently, I read about how many cultivators believe that longer consolidation periods leads to far more potent mushrooms. I would like to test this out so I think I am going to allow the second mini monotub to consolidate for at least a month before fruiting.

In addition to these happenings, my germination plates are looking really good so far. All of the plates, besides one penis envy plate, have mycelium growing nicely. I am going to do transfers in two days or so and then create a few liquid cultures (using BRF) from a Melmak plate as I would like to focus on this variety in the future. Just for fun, I think I am going to transfer mycelium from the albino Louisiana plate and the TAT  plate to shared dishes. Maybe we'll get a cross going. Wouldn't that be fun?

Edited by multifractal (06/10/21 11:58 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation