Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

what kind of mushrooms can i expect in the wilderness
    #2730754 - 05/26/04 02:43 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

what kind of mushrooms can i expect in the wilderness of n central ohio, ive been having bad luck findint any cow pastures or horse feilds i mean nothing like that in my area for at least 30 miles or so i think? is there a way i can find a source or arial photos or a list somwhere to tell me what the agricultural is like inmy area/ even down to county pinpointed there has to be some kind of infomation like that out there i know so/ and with out payin for it, for what i know the govt should be more than happy to give that out, since perhaps another farmer wants to move in that area or buy property, or see what the competition is like, i know you all thought of me pretty low last few posts but i think im on to something here hopefully i havent created a loophole that would invite stupid people to view this answer and ruin this great idea i just came up with:D please respond with kindness:D good day

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: what kind of mushrooms can i expect in the wilderness [Re: JoeyBond]
    #2730841 - 05/26/04 03:12 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Joey, you're quickly wearing out your welcome here.

We don't know what kind of mushrooms you should expect. Get out there and look, man! Don't be lazy and sit at your computer asking questions, go seek out the answers to your questions.

While we're on the topic of getting outside and doing things, you should go to a local book store and buy a mushroom ID book. Mushrooms Demystified is regarded by most hunters as the "Bible of mushroom hunting"

One last thing. Could you make one coherent post with decent grammar? Your posts always sound like a ton of crazy jumbled thoughts, kinda like you're taking us on a tour of your mind. While your writing style is unique, it's a real bitch to figure out what you're really trying to say/ask. Try to be more direct, and use better grammar and you will become a respected member of this community... If you continue with the middle school AOL style of conversation no one will take you seriously.

-Gumby

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: what kind of mushrooms can i expect in the wilderness [Re: Gumby]
    #2730915 - 05/26/04 03:51 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry that I miss a few grammar points but at least I steer away from the slang good gosh,sorry about that I'll try to do better. I gotta wait to the first of the month to get cash to get a book. I have actually put together one of my own. I'm planed on going on a field trip tomorrow, and I dont mean just for fielding I mean for fun, excitement. I hope I can fix my wandering mind and make it not wander when I enter a post lol, I'll try to do better from now on! Anyhow do librarys have any good books that I can get or would that attract to much attention/ last thought what would mushroom dymistified the book cost? thanks for your patience. by the way i looked back at my last post and good grief i didnt realize how bad i was I missed about twenty things!

by the way( yer) is how we say it in georgia:P adios

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #2730967 - 05/26/04 04:20 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for being chill and listening to my advice, most people would probably get angry if I offered them advice on how to be a better poster.

As far as the mushroom bible( :wink: ) goes, it's fairly expensive but worth every penny. I got my coppy for 23 bucks, but it runs around 40 in stores. It's got 959 pages and keys for over 2,000 species of fungi. It's also a fairly entertaining read. The author tries to make jokes and they end up being so incredibly neardy that you end up laughing at what a nerd he is(if you get the book read about the boletivores).

If you're interested in ordering this book,  click here. I think thats the best deal you'll find on a brand new copy.

As far as the library goes, I would definately hit that up. They probably have the Audubon Society's book and a few others. Best thing to do if you're new to mushroom hunting is read read read... I did a lot of that and still do, I'm always learning new things about fungi.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2731164 - 05/26/04 07:37 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

And basically if you are looking for psychoactive species in the Ohio area than you would be more likely in late June and July to find Psilocybe caerulipes in man made gardens in Ohio (arond Condos, apartment buildings, new restaurants in gardens in public places such as parks and along nice hoimes with manicured lawns and gardens to look into.

Pictures of both P. caerulipes and Pn. subbalteatus are posted in the Shroomeries Ultimate Shroom Guide here in the FAQS at this site..

mj

I really do not think you will find any pan subbs. While common they are not abundant. You may find a few in cow manure but rather rare in ohio in manure. Try riding stables for Pan subbs in the stable shavings and compost heaps. Not in horse or cow manure.

mj

And do not poison yourself if you find something and feel you should test it. Take some pictures first and post them adn let others know what you are up to..

mj

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: what kind of mushrooms can i expect in the wilderness [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2731532 - 05/26/04 11:03 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

:O wow i finally hit a spot:D! I did in fact kind of get upset but then i realized in chat most people get irritated with new people, that dont know what they are doing! This is a very complicated subject, alot more than chat, lol. Anyhow this was the advice i was seeking, lol i would never put anything in my body that i wasnt sure what it was! fuck that! i do have a cam but it interferes with my scanner and i use the scanner more often, so thats gonna be a problem *sighs*. anyhow i finally completed my own lil field guide from info ive found in here and other sites, was 18 pages long:O and not to be alarmed, this copy is just for me. I went on a trip today like i mentioned. on the way i crossed a church that stated on the bilboard "trip" lmfao they must have been talking about a trip for the church but that was all that they left before they tore it down.
I walked 6 miles! ( because i dont want people seeing a car stop and look lol) ive got blisters, a nail hole in my foot, and soreness from hell. there wasnt no fences around any farms none! I live way out in the country, i even got ahold of a agricultrial site:D and found out what counties did the most cow selling and milk cows, and mine was very low, but the county next to mine was high. But anyhow i found 4 horse stalls, two of the other stalls will be a pain in the ass to get to. sighs. I dont know if you care or not but i followed a train track that way i could have views of the back sides of farms, i ran into a 3rd track that had a few rail cars on it, the door was open with cars in it, walked to the side of it and you could see the interior lights on:O. i heard things in there, im half deaf by the way, so i guess i must have been to quiet cause no one noticed me. was fun even though i hurt and didnt find anything really interesting, besides getting "off" isnt what it should really be about right?

thanks for the tip mj, that was right in the money what i was wondering. by the way i have been looking at these sites, of aerial images, since i went out there to look at what i was looking i can interpet them so i can tell whats grazing and whats not! perhaps i could lend some of you a hand? since you all put up with my wondering mind :P adios

*waves*

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2731608 - 05/26/04 11:42 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

AS I noted above, you really are not going to find any shrooms in cow manure worth picking. And it takes ten to 30 pan subs of varoius sizes eqauling a fresh ounce to get high. Most ares in manu8re would only have a few cow pies with one to two or three shrooms and that would be it.

Stick top man made environments int he cities and check riding stables if there are any. If not than good luck.

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: what kind of mushrooms can i expect in the wilderness [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2732328 - 05/26/04 03:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

lol. ive been reading alot about this, i know most of you doubt it, but from what i understand? they put hay and wood chipings in the stalls of horses, to be able to dry up the shit or make it more human to get out of there and they usually pile it somewhere near? i got a good question thou, why dont any of the usual species grow up here? my first year in ohio i came in the summer around june of 2002 anyhow it was cold! about a week later, although i argued with it, i knew in my heart it was hotter and more humid up here than it was in georgia, we live around 100 miles from great lakes and i guess it really fucks with the humidity here. perhaps i should stick to mushrooms that grow in the woods or parks, im going to go check tonight cause it rained yesterday. because the other day i checked same park it had some wood bourn species growing, not many of them but a few. its near a river. which might help. WELL I GOT THE PART where you were mentioning about the cow paties,lol i was just mentioning that, before you wrote me some stuff, thats what i was doing, but yeah thanks for reminding me of that, im going for horse stalls and or parks now.

I've got one last thing here i want to ask..... there has to be something that does grow among deep forests, there has to be, i mean ive seen tons of stuff growing out there before when i didnt care, and im not talking always on the side of a tree on the ground either, im mentioning this cause there really isnt any thing in any notes ive found about this, i mean shreaded bark and man made areas but not naturally,

of the list this site gave me for ohio ive found them all and taken notes on them except for one i couldnt find it

gymnopilus aeruginosus

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2732881 - 05/26/04 05:04 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Again I posted this info in another similar post. Avoid the cinnamon/oranged gilled mushrooms. They resemble the three deadly Galerina species and even the COnocybe filaris.

mj

I told you what grows there in Ohio.. use your ears/.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2732922 - 05/26/04 05:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Okay Joey Bond.

This is the last time I am responding to one of your many driveled posts unless you straighten up your act..

So you said you tried Google and you could not find anything in google searching about shrooms in Ohio,
]
Well I just opened the yahoo search engine.

Typed in Mushrooms in Ohio and got thousands of responses and the twenty top sites. They have a mycological Society in Ohio. I suggest you join, pay them, go out with them on their forays, and really learn about shrooms, if that is what you are really interested in doing.

Gumby Dude and I have both been real patient with you about this and I think that is your best resource since you continue each post with another question.

Go here

Click Here for Ohio shrooms with picture Info

And other Ohio Sites.

type+ mushrooms in Ohio into google, yahoo, Msn,com, etc.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (05/26/04 05:20 PM)

InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Loc: UK
    #2733118 - 05/26/04 05:49 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

JoeyBond this may sound stupid or silly, but have you actaully got around to trying any mushrooms? maybe if you had some first hand experiance with mushrooms then most of your curiosity would be answered, try some, and then maybe come back and tell us how it went, and if you dont, then we know you actually took the wrong type :P

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

M.M  :crazy:

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: what kind of mushrooms can i expect in the wilderness [Re: Mushie_Man]
    #2733613 - 05/26/04 07:39 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i have several times, but the guy that showed me the way un forunatly blew his fucking brains out just as i was getting to connect with him!

and that was 1997 and i really havent been able to find any knowledable info since there are so many stupid myths out there

and for that yahoo search ive seen it, thanks. i thought i did straighten up my act. I'm damn sorry that i just happen to have a learning disability, or what ever but! all i asked in the last post was why the habitat for the better ones are down there when it is just as equal up here. and about woodland mushrooms.

i know what grows up here ive got the notes. thanks very much and yes i take notes. sorry that i like interaction
i guess you had to deal with some fucked up people here?
you all act like im so bad i mean ive seen some of the posts.
you have people that over and over and over
that dont read the faq on what to list when you find something
like gills, habitat, color, size of cap, what you found it on.
and you all get harsher on me than them........

you know what i'll just leave you alone for a while and come back with some good news. hows that?

perhaps that should show you that im actually trying.

wish me luck

by the way lol seriously
my nick name in school was no ears. was born with out them

adios

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification