Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Can you controll your emotions. where do you stand?
    #2730503 - 05/26/04 01:30 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

on a basic level we are all effected by emotions, however i firmly believe that after the initial onset of any emotion, one can simply realise that the emotion is not worth the time and energy required to feel it, mainly i am talking about negative emotions, such as anger and so on.

there are those that think that emotions can not be controlled conciously.

agree or disagree and why?

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: Can you controll your emotions. where do you stand? [Re: ZippoZ]
    #2730567 - 05/26/04 01:46 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I disagree because I am able to manage the flow of my emotions pretty well. Its just self confidence and willingness to confront fear.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Offlinedickdeadly
rælity

Loc: in my mind
Re: Can you controll your emotions. where do you stand? [Re: psyka]
    #2730652 - 05/26/04 02:10 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

oooooooooooooh, man i CANNOT control my emotions!! if i am in a bad mood, i will be in a bad mood until 1) i get myself out of it somehow 2) something good happens or 3) enough time happens ... and when i'm feeling shitty, i will act shitty to other people ... it fucking sucks because i can be SUCH a good person when i'm feeling good, and SUCH A HORRIBLE FUCKING DICK when i'm not ... i hate it. it's like there's two sides to me and i figure someone will never be able to fully accept me because i will always be a dick sometimes. it's quite fucking shitty.

--------------------

Character is how you act when you think no one is watching

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Can you controll your emotions. where do you stand? [Re: ZippoZ] * 1
    #2730673 - 05/26/04 02:15 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i think that if one is experiencing mood swings that you're right, at any given time one could realize that realize that finding a sense of groundedness elsewhere, be it meditation or introspection, is what they really want. at any moment you could begin to 'wake up'. people awaken in little spurts all the time, and at any moment people could begin devoting themselves to awakening. but who's to say how far somebody will take their realization before they panic and head back to the security of their egos? and of course it's worth considering that placing your awareness elsewhere than your negative emotions, doing something productive even, like reading an interesting book, could be a defense mechanism against dealing with your problems. it's better to step back from your emotions than to step away from them. also realize that the quality of the emotions should be considered. instead of casting out "negative emotions" like "anger" as a waste of time, people should be able to evaluate their relationships to their emotions with a sense of magnification to details of each situation that makes them angry and decide if it's really what they want. through such introspection people have a space for change, they can begin to rerelate to that situation. we can change the way we feel when we are not confused about what we truthfully want and live accordingly to our truest desires.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2730723 - 05/26/04 02:33 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not sure if the word "control" is appropriate when you're talking about emotions. To me, emotions are like a raging river..the river started out as a gentle stream made from thawing snow, it was joined by several other streams and became a creek, then the spring rains came and joined the creek- before long you have a raging river. Who can control that? The only thing you can do is channel it.

If I try to block or surpress my emotions it never works. They are bound to come out somewhere else where they are irrelevant. Better to channel and release them in an appropriate way near to the time they were created. Transform and use that energy in a positive way. At least that's the hope eh? :crazy2:

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2730736 - 05/26/04 02:37 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Oh, I dunno. Sometimes negative emotions can be helpful. This almost parallels the ego threads saying we don't need ego.

Today, I went to a brake place to have my brakes replaced. The guy who was going to work on the brakes was very condescending. (Read "asshole") At first, I was just ignoring his assholiness. But he kept being an asshole.

Finally, before he started working on my car, I said to him, "You must be really good at what you do or you wouldn't be so arrogant and make such smart-ass comments. Either that, or you're truly just an asshole. We shall see which one you are."

He was "kind" after that.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineLux
    #2732032 - 05/26/04 02:14 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Sure we can. The problem is that we tend to want to cling to these emotions. It's really pretty simple, simply remember a time when you were feeling the way you'd like to feel. The situation isn't important, simply remember the feeling and keep imposing that feeling on yourself. Think of any emotion or state of mind as a position, we can learn to change positions whenever we'd like. This is a very basic act of shamanism although used quite simply in this case.

Invisiblehawk
Stranger
    #2737315 - 05/27/04 04:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Emotions to me have represented life in motion, to control it is to stagnate. I think it is great to have anger just not to react to it. I do not believe there are any negative emotions, only actions that seem to bother others.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
    #2737421 - 05/27/04 05:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I can't control my emotions, but I can control what I do. If I'm in a shitty mood I won't be cheerful or actively nice, but I can restrain myself from behaving negatively towards others. I can't control my emotions, but my emotions can't control me.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Can you controll your emotions. where do you stand? [Re: hawk]
    #2737430 - 05/27/04 05:25 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

to control it is to stagnate

Not at all. Control is mastery. I compete seriously in the physical and mental realms. Basic knowledge and skills are required, but he who controls his emotions will generally come out on top.

Real control (vs. suppression) comes from understanding. Watch Andre Agassi play tennis. When a referee makes a bad call against him, it has no outward effect because he knows that IT WILL NOT HELP HIM TO ACHIEVE HIS GOAL. Now watch a less-disciplined player toss the match in anger over a similar incident. (Like a Mike Tyson biting an ear in frustration!)

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Re: Can you controll your emotions. where do you stand? [Re: Swami]
    #2737467 - 05/27/04 05:34 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

So you are 'master' of your emotions? To what degree? Do you exhibit exclusively the emotions you suspect those around you would like you to express? If provoked, do you get angry? Do you ever get scared about anything in a manner that, rather than just serving as a warning about potential danger, limits or hampers you?

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
Re: Can you controll your emotions. where do you stand? [Re: Panoramix]
    #2737522 - 05/27/04 05:47 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

all emotions can be suppressed.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2737523 - 05/27/04 05:47 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Anger can sometimes have a purpose. Being angry when one is threatened may or may not be helpful depending on the situation. When my mother and I were robbed at gunpoint a few years back, "I" wanted to say something sarcastic and threatening to the thug; however my goal was to protect my family, so I made sure to do nothing provocative. Was I angry? Certainly, but it was a very cold and unexpressed anger. I had early on "sensed" that we were probably not in real danger. However, if I thought the thief would probably pull the trigger, I would have went into a rage with the intent to kill or die trying.

As I said, the question is: do your emotions help you to achieve your goal or not?

--------------------

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

#2737534 - 05/27/04 05:54 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Seems to me that a Master of Emotions would be able to have their emotions help them achieve things that hadn't even necessarily been their goal. For example, you go to a bar to hang out with friends and end up attracting someone cute without having had that be the point behind your behavior.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2737551 - 05/27/04 05:59 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Are you saying you want me to share the volumnous female e-mail I get here from all my fans? No can do.  :wink:

--------------------

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

#2737645 - 05/27/04 06:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You don't need to share anything, your assurance it exists is all that's important. Way to earn the capitals on Master of Emotion, there. In fact, I think theme music wouldn't be inappropriate.

(Bum bump BUM!) MaaasTER... of EMOTION!! (Bump bump ba da nanna!)

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2737845 - 05/27/04 07:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Panoramix said:
So you are 'master' of your emotions? To what degree?

I happen to have a picture of Swami that might help to give you some insight into his character...

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblehawk
Stranger
    #2737904 - 05/27/04 07:34 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

To control is to stagnate, when a person has control the only thing that can happen is to lose it. Much like a dam holding back a river. My suggestion is to let things flow and get used to them, so they will not effect your over all person as much.

Edited by hawk (05/27/04 07:44 PM)

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Can you controll your emotions. where do you stand? [Re: hawk] * 1
    #2739542 - 05/28/04 12:35 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I beg to differ. When I used to 'let things flow' people could end up getting hurt. I used to have a very bad temper, I have even 'lost time' during episodes of rage. One time when I was a young adult I picked up a man and threw him into a wall, he struck with his head horizontally, compressing his spine - I thought I had killed him until several minutes later I noticed shallow breathing.

Do you want to know the results of people not controlling themselves? Look at violent crime statistics, go to a morgue and see the bodies of victims of gang bangers who let things flow, talk to some battered women...

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Can you controll your emotions. where do you stand? [Re: Evolving]
    #2739565 - 05/28/04 12:39 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I thought I had killed him until several minutes later I noticed shallow breathing.
Very astute of you to notice, doctor. So then you finished him off?

talk to some battered women...
Got any phone numbers?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology