Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | Next > | Last >
InvisibleGoatrider
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Con]
    #27300962 - 05/09/21 12:00 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

If it looks like this before you see any pins before a first flush,
i would bury this to an outside bed, and let nature run its course.

We all have trich spores flying around, they aren`t dangerous.
You just need to be sterile in all stages til the point you spawn to a tub.
That`s what a sab/flowhood is for, and proper technique.

You don`t know about the quality of your spawn/substrate, as you didn`t prepare yourself, you`ll never know what went wrong.

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMycelium Juice
Here for the weed
 User Gallery

Loc: planet earth
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Goatrider]
    #27300964 - 05/09/21 12:04 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Here's some good information for you to look over- Clean spawn checklist for the new grower.

Spore prints are inherently dirty due to the environment they come from.
That's why we use agar to clean them up first and not deal with the headache and time/effort lost due to contamination they can present.

Learn how to make your own grain spawn too if you plan on continuing this hobby.  No one on Etsy gives a shit if you are successful or not.  On to the next new sucker for them. 
I'm going to have to assume there are not many repeat customers in the premade grain spawn world.
You can find a bunch of teks here.. Just find a cheap grain and go.

OfflineCon
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Goatrider]
    #27300967 - 05/09/21 12:19 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Goatrider said:
If it looks like this before you see any pins before a first flush,
i would bury this to an outside bed, and let nature run its course.

We all have trich spores flying around, they aren`t dangerous.
You just need to be sterile in all stages til the point you spawn to a tub.
That`s what a sab/flowhood is for, and proper technique.

You don`t know about the quality of your spawn/substrate, as you didn`t prepare yourself, you`ll never know what went wrong.

:cookiemonster:

I read this as I was shopping for pressure cookers on Amazon haha. Yes, lesson learned.

I had sprayed the shit out of the small room I was using with 70% iso alcohol and Lysol in nothing but my underwear and mask for the whole process. That being said, I'll be using an already prepared syringe next.

I did not use a dab/flowhood, I'll read into that and invest in it. Thanks for the help.

InvisibleWyoMX
I'm a teapot User Gallery
Loc: PNW
    #27300989 - 05/09/21 01:31 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

SAB is a Still air box. Just find a plastic tub that's 100qts or bigger if you want and cut some arm holes. Super cheap and will work awesome for agar work and inoculating jars. Prepared syringes run the same risk and will likely still have small amounts of bacteria. If your scared of agar ( it's intimidating at first for almost everyone but you'll pick it up quick ) try to use the pftek with the purchased syringe. It's not the preferred method to get a bunch of mushrooms but it's tried and true and one syringe will make like 10 to 20 jars IME. Each jar when I ran it gave me about 5 grams dry after 2 flushes. So can still get you a good amount of magic and no pressure cooker required ( it can be used though ).

Offlinebillythekid1984
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: WyoMX]
    #27301221 - 05/09/21 07:42 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Hello!

Newbie here.
Im using the MDLC recipe and the Rye Grain Tek.
The MDLC was inoculated with a 6month+ LC culture I had in the fridge.
Kind of fregotten and wanted to test it out.
I inoculated a first batch of rye jars with the 2nd generation LC. The beggining I saw nice puffy white growth on the grains but after the first shake they turned became green with no white puffyness.

So I decided to PC the Rye jars an extra hour (totalling 4h, because my PC only reaches 7psi) and reinnoculated them. This time it does not seem as bad as the first time. I drop here some pictures.

LC culture used:

Rye jars in question:

OfflineCapMeh
RX Jazzist
 User Gallery

Loc: The Holy Mountain
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: billythekid1984]
    #27301479 - 05/09/21 10:41 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

You're just growing trich. Stop using LC is my advice. Your savior is going to be getting a PC that goes to 15psi and using agar (I strongly suggest researching and making no-pour agar dishes) to test your cultures. IMO get agar down, then try liquid inoculation (LI), then mess with LC if you even want to anymore. :super:

--------------------

InvisibleRenaissance-Man
Brother from another mother
Male User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: billythekid1984]
    #27301500 - 05/09/21 11:00 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Long time lurker, first time cultivator here.
I'm hoping to get some good advice and feedback from experienced members with regard to stalling and or contam.
As a newb grower, I've chosen to dive in head first taking MSS (from reputable supplier) to Agar (MEA,PC'd 40 mins@15psi), Agar (only clean plates) to Grain (Rye & WBS) and then grain (Rye) to grain (WBS).
A couple of the agar to grain jars(WBS) seem to be 2/3 colonized, but only after nearly 3 weeks of incubation. One of the rye jars had fully colonized after 2 weeks...which is when it was put to grain (WBS).
After nearly a week the grain to grain has caught up with the original Agar to grain jar. I'm just wondering if the Agar to grain jar is just colonizing slowly, has stalled or am I dealing with some contam in that particular jar which is not allowing it to fully colonize? The strain is A.P.E v1.0.url=http://files.shroomery.org/files/21-18/057851440-20210509_110616.jpg][image]http://www.shroomery.org/forums/thumbs/21-18/057851440-[image][url=http://files.shroomery.org/files/21-18/057851268-20210509_110658.jpg[/image]

--------------------
Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est...

InvisibleRenaissance-Man
Male User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Renaissance-Man]
    #27301515 - 05/09/21 11:23 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I attempted to upload 2 more pics along with the first...Ill have to spend some time learning the forum when I have more time.

--------------------

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Trusted Cultivator
    #27301588 - 05/09/21 12:34 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Those are max bacterial at the least. Or as we call "bacterial AF"

--------------------
* Smarts videos :teacher:
* :thumbup: Planet of the APES:thumbup:

I'm a fungal white supremacist.

Invisibledfwerydfhg
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Smartattack]
    #27301762 - 05/09/21 03:28 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

WTF is going on here?

Looked like I was getting an insane pinset, but only about 1/3 developed caps. The rest are weird and blobby, not really getting any bigger. Few of the maturing pins have blobby looking stems or weird caps.

OfflineCon
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: dfwerydfhg]
    #27301819 - 05/09/21 04:12 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Update: after three days of spraying with 1/100 bleach/water solution, the bacterial smell has completely subsided (the rotten apple/old apple cider alcohol smell).

Today, I cut out the Aspergillus with an instrument covered in alcohol. I sprayed the entire area where it was growing with alcohol as well. I'm going to let it grow for a few days and post updated pictures.

I know folks here have said just pitch it, but I would like to see what occurs when someone attempts to play doctor.  This won't be my only grow anyway.

Edited by Con (05/09/21 04:13 PM)

OfflineCon
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: WyoMX] * 1
    #27302242 - 05/09/21 11:09 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

WyoMX said:
SAB is a Still air box. Just find a plastic tub that's 100qts or bigger if you want and cut some arm holes. Super cheap and will work awesome for agar work and inoculating jars. Prepared syringes run the same risk and will likely still have small amounts of bacteria. If your scared of agar ( it's intimidating at first for almost everyone but you'll pick it up quick ) try to use the pftek with the purchased syringe. It's not the preferred method to get a bunch of mushrooms but it's tried and true and one syringe will make like 10 to 20 jars IME. Each jar when I ran it gave me about 5 grams dry after 2 flushes. So can still get you a good amount of magic and no pressure cooker required ( it can be used though ).

I purchased a pressure cooker and 80 petri dishes for agar trials. I have a large tub I'm not using, will turn into a SAB. I still have some prints, so I'll get the supplies to make the agar and go from there. I appreciate the help.

Offlineharald
Stranger
    #27303877 - 05/11/21 05:59 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

These pictures are all of the same plate. I have several others exhibiting the same whispy growth, but this one is the most representative of them. Originally transfered from the leading edge of the most "rhizomorphic" looking mycelium from very clean looking plates. I tried to be clever and changed up several parts of the agar formula (adding rye-berry tea and using different brand of agar). The whispy growth started from the transfered slice. In the beginning it was very spikey and transparent, almost like mycelium combed with hair gel reaching into the air. Any idea what this could be?

OfflineCon
Stranger
    #27304001 - 05/11/21 08:43 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Con said:
It looked fine during grain spawn... This just looks scary now... I suck at this. Has been in the tub for... 4 or 5 days. Any suggestions for my try will be appreciated. Half tempted to see what happens after some more time anyway. I did not case it.

Updated images

InvisibleRenaissance-Man
Male User Gallery

#27304179 - 05/11/21 11:03 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Hey Smartattack, thanks for the response.
Could you let us know what gives it away as max bacterial or bacterial AF?
What are the signs to look out for?
Is the entire jar wasted or can the top half be put to bulk in an outdoor bed? Or could some of the grains be put to Agar and cleaned up?
Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

--------------------

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27304343 - 05/11/21 01:34 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

It's the slimy clumping and inconsistent colonization, hell I'm not sure colonization is even at play there. Get some jars under your belt and you'll see that those jars are the easiest look to discriminate. Were those jars just shaken? If so did they even recover?

--------------------

Offlinejomanda1990
Ewewazos
Male User Gallery

Loc: Argentina Flag
    #27304517 - 05/11/21 03:54 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I'm noticing some weird blue/green color at the base and lower part of the stems of some RW/GW fruits (mislabeled print, sorry).
I thought it was the natural blueing of cube fruits at first but now it's become more pronounced and it's more suspicious.
I tried touching it/scraping the colored part off but it won't come off, it doesn't seem to be something growing directly on the surface of the fruits at least. The pic makes it look greener than it is as well.

If this is 'normal' for these varieties I apologize, first time growing it.

--------------------

Offlinethecollieman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Endor
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: jomanda1990]
    #27305442 - 05/12/21 09:07 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you for sharing, will definitely be saving for future reference. This has to be the best contam reference point I've seen so far, and I've spent way too much time on forums/Google so thank you for putting it all in one place/easy to read location.

--------------------

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

InvisibleRenaissance-Man
Male User Gallery

#27305464 - 05/12/21 09:21 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Yes they were just shaken prior to the pics...only the the top half to 2/3 have recovered.

I guess it's back to the PC/SAB to start this strain over again.

Maybe I should try 120 mins @15psi instead of only 90 minutes?

Is there a difference in the PC time/temp for various types of grains?

I did manage to have one jar of rye berries fully colonize with a B+ strain.

That jar of rye was used for G2G into a new batch of WBS.

It has been 4 days since G2G and these are a few pics of what the jars are looking like....any feed back is welcome.

[url=https://files.shroomery.org/files/21-19/083242380-20210512_110355.jpg][image]

--------------------

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27305482 - 05/12/21 09:34 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I always do 2 hours myself. But then I had plenty of good grows at 90. 🤷 I'd still try 120 and rule it out.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order