Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRakali
Stranger

Overexcited Noob with 85g of Fresh Cubes and an Interest in Cultivating Seeking Advice
    #27294583 - 05/04/21 07:58 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Totally new to mushrooms. Found 85g of cubensis (ID'd by those with way more knowledge than me) and I'm interested in cultivating. I like projects and I'm good at taking in information and following instructions.

I also collected a bit of mycelium (within cow pat and soil). Ran out excitedly yesterday and got some free hay (farm store) and a few clear(ish) small buckets. I have a few approaches in mind and I'm curious to get opinions. First off I'll say that I've watched a bunch of videos that have stressed the importance of cleaning and sterilizing everything and with the exception of the first "natural" approach I'd be following clean protocols as best as possible. I own a pressure cooker and I have a dry sauna I can use as a clean room. Also I watched the Northern Spore monoculture tub video that I will be following pretty closely (but in buckets).

Ideas:

1. Take the mycelium (including the cow pat and soil sample) and add it to some heat pasteurized and saturated hay and cow manure (probably add some gypsum too) and see what happens. Might try separating some of the mycelium from the soil/manure with water and tweezers but not sure how well that would actually work.

2. Make some agar clones from the stipes, then make grain spawn (WBS possibly), and then add to hay/manure.

3. Take a spore print, make a syringe, then grain spawn, then hay/manure.

Open to any and all suggestions. I'm only about 24 hours into researching but I'm excited by all the different techniques and expertise I've come across. I want to keep cost/time down and work with what I have on hand for the most part. Also no real agenda, just want to experiment. I like watching things grow.

Thanks for reading this and I appreciate your help, advice, opinions, and expertise.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Overexcited Noob with 85g of Fresh Cubes and an Interest in Cultivating Seeking Advice [Re: Rakali] * 1
    #27294598 - 05/04/21 08:10 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Rakali said:

Totally new to mushrooms. Found 85g of cubensis (ID'd by those with way more knowledge than me) and I'm interested in cultivating. I like projects and I'm good at taking in information and following instructions.

I also collected a bit of mycelium (within cow pat and soil). Ran out excitedly yesterday and got some free hay (farm store) and a few clear(ish) small buckets. I have a few approaches in mind and I'm curious to get opinions. First off I'll say that I've watched a bunch of videos that have stressed the importance of cleaning and sterilizing everything and with the exception of the first "natural" approach I'd be following clean protocols as best as possible. I own a pressure cooker and I have a dry sauna I can use as a clean room. Also I watched the Northern Spore monoculture tub video that I will be following pretty closely (but in buckets).

Ideas:

1. Take the mycelium (including the cow pat and soil sample) and add it to some heat pasteurized and saturated hay and cow manure (probably add some gypsum too) and see what happens. Might try separating some of the mycelium from the soil/manure with water and tweezers but not sure how well that would actually work.

2. Make some agar clones from the stipes, then make grain spawn (WBS possibly), and then add to hay/manure. Follow good teks here.

3. Take a spore print, make a syringe, then grain spawn, then hay/manure.

Open to any and all suggestions. I'm only about 24 hours into researching but I'm excited by all the different techniques and expertise I've come across. I want to keep cost/time down and work with what I have on hand for the most part. Also no real agenda, just want to experiment. I like watching things grow.

Thanks for reading this and I appreciate your help, advice, opinions, and expertise.

:awesomenod:

--------------------
* Smarts videos :teacher:
* :thumbup: Planet of the APES:thumbup:

I'm a fungal white supremacist.

InvisibleAshtray161
SettledNomad
Other

Loc: Rugby, England
Re: Overexcited Noob with 85g of Fresh Cubes and an Interest in Cultivating Seeking Advice [Re: Smartattack]
    #27294601 - 05/04/21 08:11 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

:threadmonitor:

--------------------
(You Know What Time It Is)
Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27677086:elmo:
"You never have to prove the fool a fool, just let them speak."
Please, be an adult. Get vaccinated. Dont use psychedelics as an excuse. Dont come at me with some hippy dippy nonsense, GO GET VACCINATED.
Be Gay, Do Crime 161 1312

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Overexcited Noob with 85g of Fresh Cubes and an Interest in Cultivating Seeking Advice [Re: Ashtray161]
    #27294699 - 05/04/21 09:23 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

straw not hay. they are different.

do #2 with antibiotic agar

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

OfflineRakali
Stranger

Re: Overexcited Noob with 85g of Fresh Cubes and an Interest in Cultivating Seeking Advice [Re: sandman420]
    #27296509 - 05/06/21 03:20 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Ok got some foil to make some spore prints. Going to tackle that tomorrow. Then I'm thinking of doing some slurry tek to make a few jars of WBS spawn. I read a thread here where people seemed to be recommending WBS over PF. I have the PC so why not.

OnlineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery
Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Overexcited Noob with 85g of Fresh Cubes and an Interest in Cultivating Seeking Advice [Re: Rakali] * 1
    #27296511 - 05/06/21 03:26 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Rakali said:
Ok got some foil to make some spore prints. Going to tackle that tomorrow. Then I'm thinking of doing some slurry tek to make a few jars of WBS spawn. I read a thread here where people seemed to be recommending WBS over PF. I have the PC so why not.

I suggest you first clean your spores before going to any form of slurry or lc, you're going to have to deal with the contamination from the outdoor print first.

OfflineRakali
Stranger

Re: Overexcited Noob with 85g of Fresh Cubes and an Interest in Cultivating Seeking Advice [Re: Rakali]
    #27296520 - 05/06/21 04:02 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for your reply. What does "clean your spores" mean?

I was thinking about grinding up the stipe and soaking in H202 and then I found this old post that mentions just that.

"I love how people are so ready to defend agar simply because its the "right" way to do it... Lets see how all the steps for sterility are the same...
First agar..

Choose your agar mixture (there are hundreds of recipes to choose from) and prepare it. You can get premade mixtures, or mix your own.
note: this involves boiling all your ingrediants, sometimes straining out solids (depending on the recipe). You will need containers to do the agar work in, typically petri dishes, but wide mouth jars will work.. If you use plastic petri dishes, you must sterilize your agar mixture in a sperate container and somehow manage to pour it into your dishes, WHILE HOT! You must do this in a sterile location and keep them in a sterile location so they don't suck in dirty air while they cool.

Then once they solidify you just inoculate them, either by isolating a strain from another agar dish, cutting it out (hoping you have selected a single strain) and transfering it (in open air again) into the new fresh petri dish.

Of you can skip right to the culturing of a fresh mushroom to isolate a strain. This involes slicing open a stem and cutting out a section of the inside mycellium, and transfering to the fresh dish (all while praying your scalpel is clean and that nothing gets in your dish while it is open, or lands this clean piece of mycellium while you transfer it, or that you didn't contaminae it by touching the outside of the mushroom with ANYTHING once you sliced open the mushroom)...

And now you still have to wait until the dish grows out until you can use it. If there is contamination you have to keep trying to reisolate your strain from this dish into another dish. Then if you have managed to do this without contaminating it, you still have to take a risk again when you use this stuff to inoculate your substrate... either by usuing wedges (and openeing your substrate jars wide open) or blending it up.. (another open container)...
time... minimum 10 days... practically... 14-21 days.

Ok and now the new peroxide method..

Put piece of stem in coffee grinder with water or h2o2... No sterile conditions necessary...

Blend....No sterile conditions necessary...

Spoon into 1/3 cup peroxide...no steil conditions necessary...

Suck up with syring... No sterile conditions necessary...

inoculate... time 5 minutes...

Yeah thats the same...

As a side note:

I do have quart jars of birdseed with all three of those species growing,(shitake, crimini, chantarelles) although I did make one stupid mistake... I bothered with the Chantarelles... the mycellium is growing, but I am pretty sure they can't be cultivated... I didn't realize this when I started.. Oh well... I will try anyway for the fun of it..

ThE JafF"

OnlineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Overexcited Noob with 85g of Fresh Cubes and an Interest in Cultivating Seeking Advice [Re: Rakali]
    #27296524 - 05/06/21 04:05 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

I haven't used the peroxide tek so I can't comment on it.
Outdoors you'll get a far higher chance of contamination with your spores which will require you to isolate the culture to a state where it no longer has contamination on the plate.

Cloning can assist in this regard.

OfflineRakali
Stranger

Re: Overexcited Noob with 85g of Fresh Cubes and an Interest in Cultivating Seeking Advice [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #27296617 - 05/06/21 06:52 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

I have a hand coffee grinder that I'm thinking about trying to put in the PC. We sold our coffee machine so I don't really care about it.

Trying take in as much info as possible but feeling a little overwhelmed right now.

Thinking the new plans are:

1. Spores into PC'd jars with distilled water by hanging the cap on some wire above. Saw this in the 9er Tek and seems like it might help avoid some contamination but really I don't know. Maybe I'll just go with foil as insurance. I have a bunch of caps so maybe I'll try a few different ways.

2. H202/Peroxide Cloning Tek with the hand coffee grinder to make LC and put onto WBS spawn jars.

3. For no good reason I want to see if I can wash/rinse the dirt/manure off the mycelium I collected. If this works enough to get a reasonable amount of mycelium I'll try an H202 dip and add it to a WBS jar possibly in a SAB.

Invisiblemyc_ousin_vinny
Keeping_It_Real
 User Gallery

#27296671 - 05/06/21 07:47 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

If I had the resources, I would clone some tissue from the inside of a stipe onto some agar. Profit $

--------------------
Bod's Easy AF Search Engine TEK

Let's stay focused on what works consistently.

"Sitting in a bunker here behind my wall..."

OnlineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Overexcited Noob with 85g of Fresh Cubes and an Interest in Cultivating Seeking Advice [Re: myc_ousin_vinny]
    #27296685 - 05/06/21 07:54 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Don't put your coffee grinder in the pc.

Invisiblemyc_ousin_vinny
Keeping_It_Real
 User Gallery

Re: Overexcited Noob with 85g of Fresh Cubes and an Interest in Cultivating Seeking Advice [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #27296687 - 05/06/21 07:56 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DERRAYLD said:
Don't put your coffee grinder in the pc.

:ilold:

--------------------
Bod's Easy AF Search Engine TEK

Let's stay focused on what works consistently.

"Sitting in a bunker here behind my wall..."

OfflineRakali
Stranger

#27297565 - 05/06/21 07:42 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I'll definitely do that (agar) because I already bought the supplies for that. Agar isn't cheap here so I feel like if I bought it I should use it.

InvisibleAshtray161
SettledNomad
Other

#27297608 - 05/06/21 08:06 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Rakali said:
Yeah I'll definitely do that (agar) because I already bought the supplies for that. Agar isn't cheap here so I feel like if I bought it I should use it.

Agar is the way to go man. That h2o2 thing sounds super sketch. But genuinely, what do i know ive nvr tried it and am just starting to do agar so :shrug:

--------------------
Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27677086:elmo:
Please, be an adult. Get vaccinated. Dont use psychedelics as an excuse. Dont come at me with some hippy dippy nonsense, GO GET VACCINATED.

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #27297642 - 05/06/21 08:24 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Rakali said:
2. Make some agar clones from the stipes, then make grain spawn (WBS possibly),

3. Take a spore print

everything else youve come up with is silly nonsense. do those 2 steps. post pics here. learn.

OfflineRakali
Stranger

Re: Overexcited Noob with 85g of Fresh Cubes and an Interest in Cultivating Seeking Advice [Re: mushboy] * 1
    #27301119 - 05/09/21 05:17 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Ok so I made time for the mushies today. I set the caps on some foil (with a drop of water on each) in the storage box I plan to turn into my SAB. I also made a batch of agar according to the "PGT Agar Cups Recipe (Ez as 123)" on Youtube. I went to buy the ketchup cups he suggested but found these little storage containers that were more petri dish like only to realize when I went to pour that they are stacking and each one becomes the lid for the one beneath it! Not ideal. Won't be easy to see what's going on in the dishes because I can't look easily from above without opening them. I have some extra agar so maybe I'll pour a few in the ketchup cups (I'll need to go out and buy them). Also apparently we lost our stock pot PC in the move so I only had the small one. I improvised with some small jars I had and it seemed to work out ok. I'll cut up the stipes tomorrow and add them to agar. Wish me luck!

InvisibleSamushlove
Water
 User Gallery

Loc: Foothills
    #27301131 - 05/09/21 05:32 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

You may have sterile agar I would just keep my eye on the plates ,if they have any contams they will show in a couple days . I'm very new to this myself good luck .once you learn the agar game it gets easier ( at least for me ) steam sterilization at a minimum of 90 mins is your best bet

Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27301134 - 05/09/21 05:34 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Good Luck.

OfflineRakali
Stranger

Re: Overexcited Noob with 85g of Fresh Cubes and an Interest in Cultivating Seeking Advice [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #27302238 - 05/09/21 11:07 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

OK made a SAB and did my best to keep things clean while I cut pieces of the stipe and put them on the agar. I did the "peel the banana" thing with the stipes and then cut the inside into small pieces.

Also I put my SAB in my dry sauna which I preheated for an hour to try and kill off anything.

InvisibleAshtray161
SettledNomad
Other

#27302265 - 05/09/21 11:37 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

u learn quick, hats off to u

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds