Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineexan
Experimenter

Loc: Finland
Tips for setups with Ultrasonic + Coolmist
    #2641073 - 05/05/04 10:23 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Hey,

Just wanted to share with you all the leson my foaf learned.

-Never Use a RELI-ON Coolmist humidifier.
-Stick to Vicks Coolmist

My foaf had problems getting the humidity up in a Greenhouse setup, he was running a RELI-ON Coolmist that he bought a walmart for $20. He also bought an ultrasonic humidifier to help humidity stay high, and he set it on a timer that runs it 10 mins every hr. As hard as he tried his Temps stayed at 84-86 F and humidity at 40-50%. He thought his hygrometer sucked and didn't pay attention to it. Then one day he went to goodwill, and found a Vicks Humidifier brandnew for $10, he thought he would give that one a try and turn the reli-on hum off. His RH was at 40% he hooked up the Vicks coolmist, (ultrasonic was off) and quickly the temps went down to about 78F and humidity to about 60% - 65%, then when the ultrasonic runs his RH goes to about 95-100% RH, he's a happy guy and he thought that he would share his exp. so no one else makes this mistake.  STICK TO VICKS COOLMIST  :smile:

Anyways

to be more specific

For a greenhouse / closet setup use:

Vicks Coolmist running 24/7
Get a timer, an ultrasonic hum. and run it for 10mins (or less) every hr. and you should be fine.

my 2 cents. :cool: :stoned:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: exan]
    #2641113 - 05/05/04 10:36 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

Offlineexan
Experimenter

Loc: Finland
Re: Tips for setups with Ultrasonic + Coolmist [Re: Citric]
    #2641193 - 05/05/04 10:54 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

yup :smile:

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Tips for setups with Ultrasonic + Coolmist [Re: exan]
    #2641640 - 05/05/04 12:34 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

This is a Martha Stewert closet and hose set up.

in the box

I use the ultrasonic and cool mist. Very firm believer in air exchange.

In the exectrical Dept of the hardware store I find these. and on the ultrasonic Now on the back of the closet I cut the holes for the hose fittings and put tape over them and cut holes threw the tape for the fittings. The reason for the tape is to give the clostet plastic a little extra strength when holding the hose weight. The outlet for the ultrasonic goes above the cool mist outlet that way the mist from the ultrasonic drops into the airstream of the cool mist and mixes better.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Tips for setups with Ultrasonic + Coolmist [Re: Magash]
    #2641676 - 05/05/04 12:42 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, I couldn't help but notice this also. It appears that not only do you have the exact same closet organizer (with very similar shelves); you also have the exact same ultrasonic as I do too. WTF magash? Have you been spying on me or something?

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
:cheers:

Edit: Not only that, but it appears you have the same temperature/humidity guage as well... Twilight zone shit here...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Edited by ATWAR (05/05/04 12:45 PM)

OfflineJeRiKo1
Stranger

Loc: Germany
Re: Tips for setups with Ultrasonic + Coolmist [Re: ATWAR]
    #2641734 - 05/05/04 12:54 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Or simply a case of split personality :wink:

--------------------
"All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.''

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
    #2641793 - 05/05/04 01:19 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

i smell a puppet!

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2641883 - 05/05/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

He he he.....Depends on who had theirs first I guess. For me it's simple. I'm a Mexican so if it ain't at K-Mart, it ain't in the chamber. The gauge came from Radio Shack another shopping mecca for us Mexicans.

Funny that I post my Mexican shopping style on Cinco de Mayo.  :wexican:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#2641938 - 05/05/04 02:11 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

i smell a puppet!

What do puppets smell like? Im not so flamboyant about posting my grows as magash... Even if it were that way, I don't think I would give it away like that so obviously...

Yep, that is the same gauge, radio shack...

InvisibleJopo
Super RocketMr.MagicMushroom Man
Loc: Canada
    #2729182 - 05/25/04 06:36 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Does the Vicks coolmist make alot of noise well on? Is it an Ultrasonic? Also would it keep my mini greenhouse up in humidity, and the temperature down to mid 70's?

--------------------
Holy crip hes a crapple.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Re: Tips for setups with Ultrasonic + Coolmist [Re: Jopo]
    #2729372 - 05/25/04 07:19 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

My cool mist was noisy, it vibrated. I kicked it to the curb. It is NOT an ultrasonic. It does not cool your chamber. Good for air exchange only IMO. Get an ultrasonic and you will have plenty of humidity.

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2729518 - 05/25/04 07:51 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Use em both. Cool mist 24/7 Ultrasonic every few hours.

If your Vicks cool mist make a bunch of noise open it up. Notice that the spinning funner thing is in two pieces. Take off the bottom piece and clean it. Then take off the top piece from the motor shaft. (it may be tight but it comes off) Put a drop of tri-flow or some other oil on the shaft and let it drip into where the motor holds the shaft. Clean it and then glue that thing back on.

--------------------

InvisibleJopo
    #2729740 - 05/25/04 08:35 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Does the Ultra sonic make any noice because i think i have enough time out of my day to air it out my self if that is alright?

--------------------
Holy crip hes a crapple.

Offlinecsuidae
    #2729958 - 05/25/04 09:26 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Nope, ultrasonics are silent (aside from a little quiet dripping and a gurgle every once in a while)

Offlinephucknut68
Focker
Loc: shit mang
    #2730369 - 05/25/04 10:44 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I use the reli on ultrasonic but its 35$ are you sure you got the right one? Keeps the RH in my big closet type setup at 98% at the lowest setting if I want it. I have to run fans to keep the humidity down. I run it every 2 hours now for 15 mins. I use an intake and exhaust fan for air exchange so I dont need my humidifier to do it. In the beginning I tried cool mist but I couldnt get the RH up high enough with it. The ultrasonic gets it from 50 to 90 in 20 mins or so easy.

Ultrasonic is best for a big setup. How long does the cool mist take? And I mean really how much air exchange does it provide for a larger setup? I can run 60 cfm fans (2 of em) for 15 mins every 1 or 2 hours or whenever I want. That is air exchange.

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-|:---- Doctor Of Journalism -----:|-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-|:---- S M C -----:|-=-=-=-=-

OfflineDerek
Re: Tips for setups with Ultrasonic + Coolmist [Re: phucknut68]
    #2730438 - 05/25/04 11:10 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I have my ultrasonic going for 8 minutes every two hours and my vicks on alternating one hour on/off.

Anything more than that and all I manage to get is a lot of water to mop up from the bottom of my closet. (Closet is 5.5 feet tall, 2 feet deep, 4 feet wide, 3 shelves)

I assume you guys must live in pretty arid environments because where I'm at, if I left my humidification systems on as long as you, I'd be flooded.

My vicks used to start vibrating like a motherfucker, and always at 2AM, waking me up. I was just about to consider throwing it out until I decided to opt for some minor surgery.

The main reason for noise in those units is vibration in the motor housing from the spinning disc and the "vortex tube".

Since I wasn't about to balance the disc like a tire, I solder burnt 4 holes next to the motor and used zip ties to fasten the motor tight to the plastic housing. Its been humming along silently ever since.

I must have taken the thing entirely apart 15 times over the course of 15 2AM mornings looking for the damned reason my vicks was sounding like a coffee grinder.

InvisibleJopo
Re: Tips for setups with Ultrasonic + Coolmist [Re: Derek]
    #2731502 - 05/26/04 08:50 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Haha, what about patching some Ty Vec filter discs along the sides of the greenhouse set up, would that allow enough air exchange?

--------------------
Holy crip hes a crapple.

Offlinephucknut68
Focker
Loc: shit mang
    #2731601 - 05/26/04 09:38 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

interesting idea. It may help but if it did u might lose humidity in the process. I just use fans seems simple.

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-|:---- Doctor Of Journalism -----:|-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-|:---- S M C -----:|-=-=-=-=-

OfflineAkrobatik
Chillin

#2731852 - 05/26/04 11:17 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I hated that vicks coolmist. THing was nothing but problems. I now use the reli on ultra run for 1/2 hour every 2, supplemented by a fish tank dual output pump that runs 24/7. It does basically the same thing as the damn vicks, but without the hassle. I have a fan in my greenhouse that helps circulate the humidity while the reli on is running. The two airstones are run into rubbermaid thermoses. One is on the bottom shelf of the GH, and one is on the 3rd shelf. Here are some pics.

Just another way to for anyone who was interested!!! Peace!!
Akro

--------------------
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

InvisibleJopo
Re: Tips for setups with Ultrasonic + Coolmist [Re: Akrobatik]
    #2733943 - 05/26/04 08:07 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Does anybody have any idea on how to set a computer fan up to circulate air in my greenhouse?

--------------------
Holy crip hes a crapple.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale