Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Colorado family blames high-potency marijuana for son's suicide
    #27293165 - 05/03/21 10:35 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Colorado family blames high-potency marijuana for son's suicide, urges lawmakers to look at impact of dabbing
May 3, 2021 - Denver7

DENVER — Nearly nine years after voters legalized recreational marijuana in Colorado, one family is asking lawmakers to look closer at the impacts high-potency marijuana is having on the state.

“We were a normal family,” John Stack said. “If this can happen to us, it can happen to anyone.”

“We don’t want other parents to go through this hell,” his wife Laura Stack said, echoing his sentiment.

The couple’s 19-year old son, Johnny, took his life on Nov. 20, 2019.

“I know that marijuana killed my son,” John said.

“It’s the worst day of my life,” Laura Stack said, remembering the call they got from Douglas County Sheriff’s deputies informing them that their son had committed suicide by jumping off an RTD parking garage.

John and Laura believe using high-potency marijuana, known as dabbing, carved their son’s path to suicide.

“He was actually brilliant,” Laura Stack said, noting Johnny’s 4.0 grade-point average and perfect score on the math portion of the SAT.

After their son’s death, the Stacks found a video of Johnny dabbing and driving on his phone.

Dabbing is a slang term for consuming high-potency marijuana that is sold in a wax form legally at Colorado marijuana dispensaries. John Stack said his son had become “psychotic.”

The Stacks learned their son was able to get a medical marijuana card shortly after turning 18 and believe that opened the door to him experimenting with dabbing.

“I don’t think most parents understand this is a different marijuana we are talking about,” Laura Stack said.

Marijuana purchased on the black market illegally decades ago generally had a potency of between 3-5% THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana. Concentrates available in Colorado today can be up to 90% THC.

Using hidden cameras to gain candid responses about dabbing, a Denver7 producer visited three Denver-area dispensaries.

“It’s been growing in popularity ever since the industry legalized,” one budtender said when asked if dabbing was a “fad.”

Another budtender described her personal experience.

“When I first took a dab, it was just too big a hit for me the first time, so I just passed out,” she said.

Denver7 Investigates visited the Institute of Cannabis Research at Colorado State University Pueblo to inquire about the current understanding surrounding high-potency marijuana.

“There are a lot of questions out there about cannabis in general,” Director Chad Kinney said. Dr. Ken Finn, who spent four years on Colorado’s Medical Marijuana Advisory Council, followed the story of Johnny Stack’s death and believes his history of using high-potency marijuana contributed to the suicide.

“He was diagnosed with cannabis psychosis and sometimes that’s a bridge you can’t uncross when you become psychotic,” he said.

Finn added that he would like to see the Colorado Department of Health and Environment step up its efforts to educate Colorado residents about the potential risks of high-potency marijuana.

“They should be the ones that are helping communities understand the risks and benefits in the marijuana world, and they are not,” he said.

Laura Stack said she called CDPHE after Johnny died to try to obtain the name of the doctor who gave her son a medical marijuana card. She says they told her it was protected information.

Denver7 Investigates requested an interview with CDPHE to discuss rules that protect the disclosure of doctor’s names and Finn’s claim the state was not doing enough to educate residents about the risks of high-potency marijuana. The interview request was denied.

In a statement to Denver7, the organization said: “In the best interest of public health, we suggest funding research to answer these questions.”

In recent months, CDPHE has published opinion that more research is needed on the impacts of high-potency marijuana.

In the coming weeks, the issue of additional regulations for medical and recreational marijuana is expected to be discussed by the Colorado legislature. Many believe the discussion will include the possibility of capping potency in the state.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblestubb
Dahg Rastubfari
 User Gallery

Loc: Memory Flag
Re: Colorado family blames high-potency marijuana for son's suicide [Re: veggie] * 2
    #27293313 - 05/04/21 03:23 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

We would disenroll him from his current university, admit him to mental hospitals, and they would stabilize him with medications, and he’d recover…until he did the drugs again. He would try other illicit drugs as well. Eventually, even when he stopped using marijuana, the psychosis did not go away, and he developed full-blown schizophrenia. He was put on anti-psychotics to control the delusion, but he didn’t like how “stupid” they made him feel, because he was extremely intelligent. So, he would stop taking them without telling us (a common problem with the disorder). When he died, he had given up smoking, he wasn’t on drugs, and he wasn’t depressed. But because he wouldn’t take the medications he now needed, the paranoid delusions told him to stop the pain, and he jumped.

Clearly it's the weed's fault.  :rolleyes:

--------------------
:mushroomgrow:
🆃🄴🅰🄼  🅲🄻🅸🄽🅶🅆🆁🄰🅿

You wake up. The room is spinning very gently round your head. Or at least it would be if you could see it which you can't.
It is pitch black.

> TURN ON LIGHT

OfflinegopherS
Coffee Bean Extraordinaire
I'm a teapot

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Colorado family blames high-potency marijuana for son's suicide [Re: stubb] * 1
    #27293320 - 05/04/21 03:52 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

stubb said:
Quote:

We would disenroll him from his current university, admit him to mental hospitals, and they would stabilize him with medications, and he’d recover…until he did the drugs again. He would try other illicit drugs as well. Eventually, even when he stopped using marijuana, the psychosis did not go away, and he developed full-blown schizophrenia. He was put on anti-psychotics to control the delusion, but he didn’t like how “stupid” they made him feel, because he was extremely intelligent. So, he would stop taking them without telling us (a common problem with the disorder). When he died, he had given up smoking, he wasn’t on drugs, and he wasn’t depressed. But because he wouldn’t take the medications he now needed, the paranoid delusions told him to stop the pain, and he jumped.

Clearly it's the weed's fault.  :rolleyes:

In the kratom documentary A Leaf of Faith thers a kid who was similar who commited suicide and the mother was blaming kratom, and the guy who owns the kratom bar the kid went to said something like

its just a mother trying to make sense of something that dosnt make any sense

--------------------
For most of the normies out there, an operating system is just a bootloader for Google Chrome.

Since Disney has obtained tremendous value from the public domain, knows how important the public domain is, and is firmly determined to never contribute anything to it.

My pronouns are He and Him, and my adjectives are Fat and Jazzy

:kratom:

InvisibleKiller_Fungus
a wooden chair
I'm a teapot

Re: Colorado family blames high-potency marijuana for son's suicide [Re: gopher]
    #27293523 - 05/04/21 07:52 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Must've been some good shit

--------------------
The Mad Man's DMT Tek
Killer_Fungus said:
I cannot express the amount of anxiety I had tripping on 4 grams of mushrooms while hauling about 8 monotubs in black plastic bags down 3 flights of stairs to the dumpsters and just hoping like hell that they didn't decide to call the cops anyways.

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: Colorado family blames high-potency marijuana for son's suicide [Re: Killer_Fungus]
    #27293581 - 05/04/21 09:01 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

So good he’s actually just taking a really heavy weed nap..

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

Offlinethirtygoats
Male
Re: Colorado family blames high-potency marijuana for son's suicide [Re: veggie]
    #27293624 - 05/04/21 09:34 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Nope, lack of healthy food and muscle-building exercises killed your son, dumbass.

InvisibleTheStallionMang
Do U know who yur fuckin with?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Colorado family blames high-potency marijuana for son's suicide [Re: thirtygoats] * 1
    #27293673 - 05/04/21 10:05 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

What a couple of dumb shits...er uh I mean, that sucks

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Re: Colorado family blames high-potency marijuana for son's suicide [Re: TheStallionMang]
    #27294171 - 05/04/21 03:05 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like he killed himself because he was a mentally ill person who stopped gaking his psych meds.

Offlineguest1
Mycena
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Colorado family blames high-potency marijuana for son's suicide [Re: morrowasted]
    #27294199 - 05/04/21 03:36 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

“I know that marijuana killed my son,”  John Stack said.
Well then John Stack, that means you are a dumbass.
John Stack probably also would be the guy that would want peanuts to be banned, if his son died from a peanut allergic reaction.
I'm sorry someone died, but I'm not sorry about John Stack being a dumbass and convincing other dumbasses that weed needs to be illegal.
It's dumbasses shaking the hands of other dumbasses and they are all congratulating each other on how dumb they are.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Re: Colorado family blames high-potency marijuana for son's suicide [Re: guest1]
    #27294430 - 05/04/21 06:07 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Well I can guarantee alcohol has drove people to suicide but that's a ok

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Colorado family blames high-potency marijuana for son's suicide [Re: bodhisatta]
    #27294773 - 05/04/21 10:10 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Would you consider mj a hallucinogen, in several, consecutive, high doses?

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Re: Colorado family blames high-potency marijuana for son's suicide [Re: durian_2008]
    #27295011 - 05/05/21 04:14 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

No

InvisibleWhyterye
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Colorado family blames high-potency marijuana for son's suicide [Re: bodhisatta]
    #27295250 - 05/05/21 08:47 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Dabs absolutely killed this child .

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
    #27297142 - 05/06/21 02:37 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

durian_2008 said:
Would you consider mj a hallucinogen, in several, consecutive, high doses?

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
No

My wiring might be funny.

I have no intention of harming myself or other people but would not be an apt subject for the control group.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf