Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineNico1996
Stranger
Will my pins start growing again?
    #27293268 - 05/04/21 02:05 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Hi folks, so my problem is that i thought i had sufficient fae but apparently not. I Saw the first pins wednesday and i haven't Been Home All weekend. So the problem is that maybe 4-6 pins has prematurely opend their caps at a height of 4cm. I have dialed Up the fae a Lot now, and i want to hear if the remaining pins Will start to grow or Will they just grow like a cm, and then brake veil

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFungi Rogers
New Guy

Re: Will my pins start growing again? [Re: Nico1996]
    #27293271 - 05/04/21 02:09 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

They might grow more or they might just reach the same height. I might be wrong but I believe fae isn’t the only issue with that. Lack of fae tends to make them long and stringy. Could have been genetics. Conditions. Too much water or lack of water.

OfflineNico1996
Stranger
Re: Will my pins start growing again? [Re: Fungi Rogers]
    #27293275 - 05/04/21 02:30 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

I Hope they bounce back, but luckily it's the first flush. It's 100% too much moisture due to lack og fae they have fuzzy feet. I have wiped the inside tub walls of excess moisture and if there isen't condensation tomorrow i Will mist the walls.

OfflineNotarealguy
Stranger danger
 User Gallery

#27293279 - 05/04/21 02:36 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Too much FAE can make caps open prematurely.

If the pins are still active, and not aborting, they will continue to grow.

They might be too dry like Mr Rogers said:grin:

OfflineNico1996
Stranger
    #27293284 - 05/04/21 02:47 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Thats true but i dont think thats my problem. My walls were saturated in condensation, and with fuzzy feet. I can take a picture but bear in mind i have wiped the tube sides.

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#27293288 - 05/04/21 02:51 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Notarealguy said:

this is wrong. if FAE caused this no one would “fruit” at spawn. as long as your surface conditions are maintained you can keep tubs completely open. also, if FAE was the issue, how would they grow in nature? they are literally out in open air 24/7 when they grow wild. nature sure as fuck isn’t limiting their FAE

small fruits can be caused by a few things, including substrate that was too wet & bacterial contamination. you gotta make sure your sub is properly hydrated to field capacity & that your spawn is clean. hard to say what’s going on without that information.

you don’t have to mist the walls at all. condensation is only really indicative of temperature differences between the inside & outside of the tub. you should be more concerned with keeping proper surface conditions. here’s a good thread on that: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23999053/fpart/1/vc/1

--------------------
you're not the first to set foot here, just another
===================================
i love glass petris & you can too!!
posts i constantly refer back to
new to mushroom cultivation?? read this!!

🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

OfflineNico1996
Stranger
Re: Will my pins start growing again? [Re: hazyhorse]
    #27293314 - 05/04/21 03:31 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

The substrate was at Field capacity There was only a few drops of water dripping between my knuckles when squeezing tight. My spawn was clean, fully colonized jars. Substrate was fully colonized i 4 Days but i gave et a week just to be sure. The surface is fine for now, the tubs have a small layer of dew but could maybe use a mist og two i Will do that Tomorrow, fae is my Main concern at the moment.

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

#27293319 - 05/04/21 03:48 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

oh shit, your tub looks way better than i was expecting lol. reading the OP i thought you meant you ONLY had a few pins that were opening up too early. i wouldn’t sweat anything in this case, you’ll be surprised how fast mushrooms gain weight towards the end of fruiting. shorter shrooms aren’t a bad thing; just genetics sometimes. keep your FAE high & your surface properly moist & you should have yourself a solid flush (:

btw, not saying your spawn wasn’t clean, but bacteria can be super sneaky. it’s totally possible it looked fine to an untrained eye but actually had bacteria. took me awhile to get good at spotting it myself. again, not saying yours was bacterial, just that it’s easy to miss until you really learn & scrutinize your spawn. in your case the flush is looking good regardless of whether or not it was

--------------------

OfflineNotarealguy
Stranger danger
 User Gallery

#27293348 - 05/04/21 05:05 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

hazyhorse said:
Quote:

Notarealguy said:

this is wrong. if FAE caused this no one would “fruit” at spawn. as long as your surface conditions are maintained you can keep tubs completely open. also, if FAE was the issue, how would they grow in nature? they are literally out in open air 24/7 when they grow wild. nature sure as fuck isn’t limiting their FAE

small fruits can be caused by a few things, including substrate that was too wet & bacterial contamination. you gotta make sure your sub is properly hydrated to field capacity & that your spawn is clean. hard to say what’s going on without that information.

you don’t have to mist the walls at all. condensation is only really indicative of temperature differences between the inside & outside of the tub. you should be more concerned with keeping proper surface conditions. here’s a good thread on that: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23999053/fpart/1/vc/1

Too much air can cause caps to Crack and open prematurely. It's not wrong at all.

I fruit at spawn. You can grow perfectly healthy mushrooms in a tote that is completely latched the entire time.

Op your tub looks fine. It's just a little dry. I'd mist I'd down lightly.

Those aren't done growing yet, they will get quite a bit bigger before the viels break.

OfflineNico1996
Stranger
    #27293349 - 05/04/21 05:07 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks it's 2 tubs, but next time i Will bear in mind and post pics in OP. I have only found 4-6 which have opened prematurely, so I just wanted to ask if the remaining pins Will start growing normal or if the Damage is done. I Will keep fae Up high. At the moment i have an oscillating fan pointing at the tubs on a timer 8x30 minutes a Day. I'm gonna keep an eye on the tubs so the substrate dosen't dry out.

True, bacteria is sneaky, lost 2 spawn jars and the remaining 10 colonized normal, but again one bacteria cell can destroy a monotub. That is why i pasteurize All my substrate. I haven't had bacteria in a monotub yet so It would be hard for me to idenfify, but it's bound to show someday and i Will learn from it. 🙂

InvisibleGoatrider
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Loc: Germany Flag
    #27293350 - 05/04/21 05:09 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Don`t point fans directly on tubs.
There`s no need to fan at all.
Seems you give your tubs too much love, just leave them alone.

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

Re: Will my pins start growing again? [Re: Notarealguy]
    #27294043 - 05/04/21 01:56 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

drying out can cause caps to crack & open prematurely, but that's from drying out. if you're not replacing the moisture that is evaporating from high FAE, then yeah it drys, but it's not BECAUSE of the FAE, it's because of the drying & lack of moisture being replaced due to the high FAE. limiting FAE will keep humidity up higher, but if you're keeping your surface conditions proper you can fruit with completely open tubs with 100% FAE. mushboy mentions somewhere in his shoebox thread that he does this when he's being a hermit at home & can nanny the conditions. & again, they grow just fine in nature with 100% FAE because the moisture & humidity are there. not trying to be semantic, but i think it's an important distinction.

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
Low humidity can cause premature breaking however some varieties like PE will break the veils very early. At that point you just leave em until the gills start dropping spores. The whole reason behind harvesting when the veil breaks is to prevent big spore dumps.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26822685#26822685

Quote:

mushpunx said:
Do the cakes feel heavy or light?

Your right, heavy and waterlogged substrates can cause caps to open premature.
Dry substrates can do the same IME.
And sometimes its just genetics.

If they're heavy and soggy, back off misting some.
If they are light and dry set them on a saucer of water overnight.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24040695#24040695

Quote:

mushboy said:
the stripes and short/uber thin fruits is from your water content being to high in your sub.

you could dry out the sub by leaving the FC lid off for awhile but then you risk drying out if you dont watch it carefully.
i bet if you let that flush grow, DO NOT dunk! and the second flush will produce better fruits. because the sub isnt soaked.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24956529#24956529

Quote:

mushpunx said:
Premature caps opening like that are usually from either being over misted and waterlogged or dry substrate.
You'll know which it is by picking up the cake, is it heavy or light?

Your fruiting chamber isn't cutting it. Its possible to fruit in plastic bags but if you don't know what you are doing yet its easy to fuck it up

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24222363#24222363

here's one from bod saying over saturation can also lead to small caps opening early:
Quote:

bodhisatta said:
They look all fucked because they're soggy over saturated. Not enough air exchange and probably no holes in that bag.

The caps have a lot of universal veil remnants usually happens with piss poor air exchange and soggy conditions with too high of humidity in a stagnant environment

They're Psilocybe cubensis.
Veils don't open prematurely. They open precisely when the mushrooms think it's chances are best. The performance isn't there because of the conditions

At least you got mushrooms and did it yourself though +5

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24222608#24222608

a post from pasty talking about too much humidity & not enough FAE being the issue:
Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
Naw man ya got me wrong. I sincerely was trying to understand why or how you got on that track, seems there are so many of these threads lately.  Anyway that all aside the problem is that the humidity is saturated, you have no evaporation, there is not nearly enough fresh air being supplied.  This is causing the fruits to open premature as well as the aerial mycelium. Your cakes can't decided if they want to pin or veg still.

You need to find a way to dial back the fog somewhat and get more air in. Hopefully you.can do it with minimal error but like I said few are able. Also no one fruits these in a closed box, that's like 30 years ago people were doing that. We have come a loooong way since.

As was suggested above you would be better served to use all that hardware to make a killer greenhouse and fruit bulk trays in it. Would work far better. Good luck.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22001812#22001812

i searched a lot of posts & couldn't find one TC mentioning "too much FAE," only that the sub was too wet or too dry. there is a difference there

to the OP, i'm with goatrider. ditch the fans. they are always unnecessary & lead to extra dry conditions. if you keep surface conditions proper you should be totally fine for the rest of the flush!! people like to make mushrooms more complicated than they need to be

in my experience, you'll know if your spawn was bacterial if you get contams after the first or second flush. often times with bacterial spawn, i'll get at least one flush before trich shows up. sometimes it'll show up part way through the second. but if you're getting contams at all, it'll be because your spawn was slightly bacterial. best time to catch it is while your grains are colonizing. if you're using coco coir, you don't need to pasteurize or anything. just use boiling/hot/warm/cold water to hydrate. if you're using straw or manure, that's when pasteurization becomes important. coir is naturally pretty inert, so you're not gonna get contams from coir alone, it'll always come from your spawn

--------------------

OfflineNotarealguy
Stranger danger
 User Gallery

#27294248 - 05/04/21 04:08 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Too much fae causes dryness.

Your arguing semantics and spending waaaay to much time and effort defending literally nothing.

I could go to the search and pull up a bunch of TC references saying exactly what I said. The same ones you had to selectively pick through to find yours.

You can grown in A COMPLETELY LATCHED MONOTUB.  FAE ISNT THAT DAMN IMPORTANT FOR CUBES.

Have fun with yourself. Dork.

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

#27294295 - 05/04/21 04:33 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

i never said you can’t grow in a completely latched mono, i’m saying if you keep your surface conditions proper, you can give unlimited FAE. there is a difference. it’s about surface conditions & moisture, not FAE. FAE is how you regulate that based on your climate & conditions

--------------------

InvisibleAntsInYourPants

#27294298 - 05/04/21 04:36 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Notarealguy said:
Too much fae causes dryness.

Your arguing semantics and spending waaaay to much time and effort defending literally nothing.

I could go to the search and pull up a bunch of TC references saying exactly what I said. The same ones you had to selectively pick through to find yours.

You can grown in A COMPLETELY LATCHED MONOTUB.  FAE ISNT THAT DAMN IMPORTANT FOR CUBES.

Have fun with yourself. Dork.

You didn't say too much FAE causes dryness that's basically common sense. You said too much FAE will cause caps to open earlier which isn't true. There's plenty of threads on here that show cubes can be grown in open air and they have no issues with caps opening early. Obviously you need to mist more with increase air flow.

OfflineNotarealguy
Stranger danger
 User Gallery

#27294303 - 05/04/21 04:39 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, but the OP is letting his sub get too dry.

So he need to mist more, and possibly cut back on FAE.  My totes stay lached the entire time.  No extra FAE. 

Your better cutting back on FAE if you can t keep your surface conditions correct.  It won't hurt a thing.

Mushrooms that are exposed to too much air will Crack and stop growing. Or just not get to their full potential.

Cubes don't need much FAE. So it's pointless to do anything but an unmodified tote.

Edited by Notarealguy (05/04/21 04:46 PM)

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

Re: Will my pins start growing again? [Re: AntsInYourPants]
    #27294327 - 05/04/21 04:52 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

AntsInYourPants said:
You didn't say too much FAE causes dryness that's basically common sense. You said too much FAE will cause caps to open earlier which isn't true. There's plenty of threads on here that show cubes can be grown in open air and they have no issues with caps opening early. Obviously you need to mist more with increase air flow.

this is what i was getting at. notarealguy, i agree with your last post. that’s exactly what i was trying to get at. i wasn’t trying to say that you NEED 100% FAE, just that the FAE itself isn’t the problem. the problem is the sub drying out, which is totally remediable by cutting back on FAE. it could also be taken care of by misting more. the solution is probably somewhere in between the two. i often limit my FAE myself because my climate is arid & i would have to mist constantly if i were fruiting in something like an unmodified mono with huge gaping holes from having the lids unlatched. i just think that, on a fundamental level for someone who is still learning, it’s better to understand that “proper surface conditions = good” instead of “too much FAE = bad” because FAE itself is only damaging when your tubs dry out. it’s not solely exposure to air that is causing it, but rather the dryness that comes from high FAE + not misting to replace the evaporating moisture. i meant no disrespect to you, it’s all peace & love & at the end of the day none of it really matters. just trying to be clear for edification’s sake

--------------------

Edited by hazyhorse (05/04/21 05:00 PM)

OfflineNotarealguy
Stranger danger
 User Gallery

#27294334 - 05/04/21 04:57 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

:heart: some middle ground at last haha.

Have you tried completely unmodified totes?  Its the bees knees.    I have a very low RH and just flip the lid until it's harvest time.    No holes or anything, just the plain tote with a lid.

Lol where I live it's a very low RH sooo..

Edited by Notarealguy (05/04/21 04:58 PM)

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

#27294348 - 05/04/21 05:04 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

<33 not trying to be a dick at all! i know it sometimes comes across that way, especially with how impersonal the internet is. i have tried unmodified totes, but i didn’t like them when i did. too much babysitting to keep the surface conditions right once the lid is flipped in my experience. i much prefer pastywhyte’s mono styles for maintaining humidity. i just micropore tape the holes during colonization & then remove the tape on a few of the holes once fruits come in. my tubs were drying out really bad when i would flip the lid on the unmodified. during colonization it was fine, (& ive even read a thread by primalsoup (i believe, him or madseason) that talked about sealing tubs up for virtually no FAE to prolong colonization for weeks/months in order to increase potency of fruits) but it got fucky for me once i opened the lid to fruit. i just didn’t want to have to mist that often. if i’m going unmodified i much prefer shoeboxes/sweater boxes, but i could probably stand to give unmodified tubs another go in the future

--------------------

OfflineNotarealguy
Stranger danger
 User Gallery

#27294361 - 05/04/21 05:11 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

More than one way to skin a cat.:thumbup:

At least we all grow mushrooms.:tongue2:

Would be cool to talk to ppl in person about it.  Nobody around here does it, so this is all I have for a cultivation community.

Sorry I called you a dork haha

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate