Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejdawg333
Stranger
Anybody else prepared for significant backlash against psychedelics in lieu of their therapeutic use?
    #27293875 - 05/04/21 01:45 PM (3 days, 1 hour ago)

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't see a second kind of 'psychedelic revolution' going too well. I just foresee an apocalyptic mess of news stories sensationalizing stories about somebody killing their dog or never speaking English again or crashing a car or something. I've seen a couple before, but with psychedelia being touted recently as a sort of magic bullet against mental illness it seems like a recipe for some truly terrible and widespread sensationalism.

Part of the issue I think is that psychedelics might be best used by relatively healthy people who want to do mental work, but might be more frequently used by people who are very unwell and unwilling to do mental work and therefore find psychedelics online as a magic bullet and of course experience adverse effects.

I'm not saying psychedelics are dangerous or anything, but I think the way social media and media in general works will certainly be incompatible with psychedelia and terrify people once a few bad things happen. What do y'all expect to happen in the next couple decades regarding sensationalist psychedelia?

Edited by jdawg333 (05/04/21 01:58 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJacubey
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Anybody else prepared for significant backlash against psychedelics in lieu of their therapeutic use? [Re: jdawg333]
    #27293892 - 05/04/21 01:59 PM (3 days, 1 hour ago)

Yep. Also, something bad in the united states (the way I see it) is the localized decriminalization of drugs.

For instance, in Oregon they've decriminalized all drugs. While this is supposed to be a good thing, I think it'll just wind up meaning that drug related accidents happen there more (since addicts are more likely to move there), and then the statistics around increased drug related accidents there will be used to drive anti-drug policy in other states.

There's already some story about an idiot shooting a transformer while high.

Decriminalization of drugs is not enough.  There needs to also be a cultural shift towards education around drugs, and responsible use.  Decriminalization without any sort of accompanied education about drugs is a recipe for disaster IMO.  I think in an ideal world, you'd have to take a free online test about a drug before you're allowed to buy it, just to make sure people at least do a couple hours of research before taking 5 grams of mushrooms on a bad day with their shotgun nearby.

InvisibleKmacmo
The aborted pin
Other

Loc: Upinthehills
Re: Anybody else prepared for significant backlash against psychedelics in lieu of their therapeutic use? [Re: jdawg333]
    #27293896 - 05/04/21 02:01 PM (3 days, 1 hour ago)

Yeah I see what you mean, but once people are educated enough about psychedelics they will be able to see the shit on mainstream media and call its BS.
I think the first step is to educate and show potential medical uses, then worry about the idiots who will as you say be a danger to themselves.
Media never report on alcohol fueled suicides or even fatal overdoses, but they will for psychedelics 👍

--------------------

OfflineIma Trooper
Chilldog Extraordinaire
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: Anybody else prepared for significant backlash against psychedelics in lieu of their therapeutic use? [Re: Kmacmo]
    #27293929 - 05/04/21 02:28 PM (3 days, 44 minutes ago)

Quote:

Kmacmo said:
Yeah I see what you mean, but once people are educated enough about psychedelics they will be able to see the shit on mainstream media and call its BS.

See this is where it all breaks down, because the mainstream media is where a LOT of people get their education.

--------------------
"Its moving of its own accord...and I like that in a shirt!" - Me, tripping.

deCypher said:
Schizophrenia beats dining alone, you know.

Offlinejdawg333
Stranger
Re: Anybody else prepared for significant backlash against psychedelics in lieu of their therapeutic use? [Re: Ima Trooper]
    #27293935 - 05/04/21 02:36 PM (3 days, 35 minutes ago)

I agree that education is the solution to this problem but I just don't know how. I do think that there should be some kind of a 'drug' class in school where people don't use drugs but thoroughly research why they were made, who made them, and the effect on history they have had. Maybe students would be allowed to candidly express their own drug experiences as long as nothing was glorified? However we were set so far back with more 'conservative' teaching strategies that say all drugs are bad no matter what, all sex is bad no matter what, US is great, and other lies that I doubt students will trust teachers unless we reformed the system.

'Drug' class sounds like a comedy sketch or something but that is how much our society warps reality imo. Drugs are incredibly important and in centuries will probably be viewed as a key part of our society and economy since the 20th century, and obviously somewhat before that just not on an industrial scale. The fact that we are 100s of years after drugs have been introduced on a mass scale and to learn the bare minimum about drugs I have to be fascinated in them and very careful to avoid misinformation, that's not right. People need teachers they can trust and relate to. But I don't know the way to do that.

It's just a sad reality that people in power can make the people not in power think whatever they want to think. Some people will slip through the cracks but I can't help but think it won't mean much. Not to be entirely pessimistic, I do have a theory that the college crisis (way more people getting degrees than jobs available) could open the door to college students teaching our children, with their education still fresh in their mind as well as the experiences of growing up in the last 20 years or so.

Edited by jdawg333 (05/04/21 02:37 PM)

OfflinemAver
The Banished
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Old Continent
    #27295552 - 05/05/21 03:51 PM (1 day, 23 hours ago)

It's a unfortunate possibility. My guess is it will happen a lot immediately but after a while people will stop caring.
It's been a while since I heard in the news of people doing those same things you speak of while abusing alcohol and other "legal" drugs.
Overdose? Seen rarely on newspapers. I guess once the novelty fades into normality nobody will care...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Scales

Community >> The Pub