Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < First | < Back | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next >
OfflineMoria841
Male

Loc: NJ Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: WOpHoo8fCf47B2xT]
    #27293743 - 05/04/21 12:36 PM (4 days, 22 hours ago)

Getting some big rain this week. Hoping it'll kickstart the more prolific portion of the season

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineiAmuseMe
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: koods]
    #27294154 - 05/04/21 04:54 PM (4 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Totally depressing. Rotting celandine is revealing the few pathetic fruits that have managed to pop up this year. Supposed to rain all day today and nothing. The season will be a total bust if we don’t get rain this week.

It seems the rain gods have heard our prayers.

--------------------
---

OfflineiAmuseMe
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: atothedam2]
    #27294165 - 05/04/21 05:01 PM (4 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

atothedam2 said:
New to ovoid hunting. Does this look like the right habitat? It's a nature trail in MD that runs along a small river and has some creeks branching off. Lots of box elder trees here and woody debris as well. However, I have not seen any mushrooms (of any kind) the last few days I have been here, other than some massive dryad's saddles on a fallen tree trunk today, and some mica caps a month ago. It will rain a lot the next few days so is it worth coming back later? The soil is absolutely covered in thousands of cicada dirt mounds, so I don't know if that affects things. Here are some images of the area:

Maybe 1 and 3.  Look for places where there is a wide flat shelf around the creek and evidence of flooding.

--------------------
---

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: Mr_enforcer1]
    #27294168 - 05/04/21 05:04 PM (4 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

Mr_enforcer1 said:
Ovoid myc turning wood chips blue?

Psilocybin containing wood looks more blue

--------------------

You never kno

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: Shroomhunts]
    #27294182 - 05/04/21 05:20 PM (4 days, 17 hours ago)

Ugh cannot catch a break with rain. Another day another lost opportunity. I think I’m done.

--------------------
I am a violent pusher of the neo-marxist SJW agenda to destroy society.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#27294192 - 05/04/21 05:27 PM (4 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

Shroomhunts said:
Quote:

Mr_enforcer1 said:
Ovoid myc turning wood chips blue?

Psilocybin containing wood looks more blue

Nah that’s green staining fungus.

Ovoid stains wood a darker blue that approaches looking black when there’s a lot of it. The pigment doesn’t usually penetrate the wood significantly either. You can usually rub off most of it.

--------------------

Edited by koods (05/04/21 05:34 PM)

Offlinesbkn
Cubies and Doobies
 User Gallery

#27294202 - 05/04/21 05:36 PM (4 days, 17 hours ago)

The mushrooms are testing you...don't give up and you'll find a honeyhole

--------------------

Offlineatothedam2
Stranger
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: iAmuseMe]
    #27294205 - 05/04/21 05:38 PM (4 days, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

iAmuseMe said:
Quote:

atothedam2 said:
New to ovoid hunting. Does this look like the right habitat? It's a nature trail in MD that runs along a small river and has some creeks branching off. Lots of box elder trees here and woody debris as well. However, I have not seen any mushrooms (of any kind) the last few days I have been here, other than some massive dryad's saddles on a fallen tree trunk today, and some mica caps a month ago. It will rain a lot the next few days so is it worth coming back later? The soil is absolutely covered in thousands of cicada dirt mounds, so I don't know if that affects things. Here are some images of the area:

Maybe 1 and 3.  Look for places where there is a wide flat shelf around the creek and evidence of flooding.

Hmm I'm losing confidence here, but thanks for taking a look. I guess the terraces have to be pretty flat surrounding the creek, but the ones here seem to ramp upwards. iNaturalist doesn't show any observations around here but does have some about 40 mins South. Is it crazy to hope that the ovoids are here as well or should I just bite the bullet and take the drive for the small chance of finding something?

Edited by atothedam2 (05/04/21 05:44 PM)

Offlinesbkn
Cubies and Doobies
 User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: atothedam2] * 1
    #27294206 - 05/04/21 05:38 PM (4 days, 16 hours ago)

There's no doubt that there are ovoids growing in your part of the state, sometimes it just takes a while to locate your first patch..I looked consistently for a year or so (albeit I'm located much further north) and once I found my first patch finding others became increasingly easier. My advice would be to start off searching in woodchip/mulch areas then move on to floodplains. (Edited after I saw the state you were located in above)

--------------------

Edited by sbkn (05/04/21 05:43 PM)

Offlineatothedam2
Stranger
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: sbkn]
    #27294214 - 05/04/21 05:41 PM (4 days, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

sbkn said:
what state are u in?

Western Maryland

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#27294215 - 05/04/21 05:41 PM (4 days, 16 hours ago)

That greenish blue cyan color you see when you bruise a mushroom is extremely transient and short lived. Very quickly it turns much darker and blackish. Ovoids can’t really stain wood like that because the fully oxidized psilocin color is dark.

--------------------

Offlineatothedam2
Stranger
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: sbkn]
    #27294238 - 05/04/21 05:55 PM (4 days, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

sbkn said:
There's no doubt that there are ovoids growing in your part of the state, sometimes it just takes a while to locate your first patch..I looked consistently for a year or so (albeit I'm located much further north) and once I found my first patch finding others became increasingly easier. My advice would be to start off searching in woodchip/mulch areas then move on to floodplains. (Edited after I saw the state you were located in above)

Thanks for your advice. Not sure what the strategy is for finding mulch areas. Scouting out some small parks on google maps? or bigger forests? Don't want to exactly end up trespassing :confused:

InvisibleLeafRaker
nomad
 User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: atothedam2]
    #27294277 - 05/04/21 06:26 PM (4 days, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

atothedam2 said:

Thanks for your advice. Not sure what the strategy is for finding mulch areas. Scouting out some small parks on google maps? or bigger forests? Don't want to exactly end up trespassing :confused:

You're looking firstly for the chipped wood mulch that's often aimed at making human activities easier. I'd see if there are mulched trails and playgrounds near streams. I'd also look to see if there mulch plants or garden shops near streams. I think some creeks that produce a lot get started with mycelium from mulch.

And remember we are still early and probably need more rain!

--------------------
Knowledge is finite, ignorance is infinite.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: LeafRaker]
    #27294317 - 05/04/21 06:46 PM (4 days, 15 hours ago)

It’s more than the rain. There’s something else going on and I think it’s related to how prolific last year was.

--------------------

InvisibleLeafRaker
nomad
 User Gallery

#27294328 - 05/04/21 06:53 PM (4 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

koods said:
It’s more than the rain. There’s something else going on and I think it’s related to how prolific last year was.

Yeah, I think you're likely on to something. Long-term studies of population (and reproduction) feature booms and busts. It's basically impossible for that not to happen.

I still want to see what happens after a good soaking or three and some days of warm weather.

--------------------
Knowledge is finite, ignorance is infinite.

OfflineMr_enforcer1
Finder-less
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: LeafRaker]
    #27294407 - 05/04/21 07:43 PM (4 days, 14 hours ago)

Anyone got some good surrounding environment pics? Trying to get a mental picture of where I should be looking

--------------------
HOW TO UPLOAD A PICTURE

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: Mr_enforcer1]
    #27294477 - 05/04/21 08:40 PM (4 days, 13 hours ago)

I'm hitting record numbers this season not sure why everyone is having such trouble.

Also we seem to be having the opposite kind of rain problem now, too much rain and they all rot to shit.

IME all thats needed is light intermittent showers for the perfect ovoid conditions here. Constant downpours can make harvesting a real pain in the cock.

On another note, this neck of the woods seems to be moving into the next phase where the fruits far from the plains are strangled out by vegetation and the banks begin to erupt fruits from the debris piles.

Also important to remember mushrooms are just the reproductive fruit bodies of these mycelium networks, like an apple from a tree, so don't count your apples when you are talking about booms and busts, count the trees... hypothetically speaking a good season produces much more spores than a bad one so if all else was constant and they had unlimited food they would just keep increasing in numbers every year.

Realisticly the actual number of mushrooms in a natural ecosystem during a given season is highly variable. Just because the last season was a boom does not mean this one can't be a bigger BOOM

Edited by Shroomhunts (05/04/21 08:48 PM)

Offlinenickh180
Stranger
    #27294495 - 05/04/21 09:01 PM (4 days, 13 hours ago)

Anyone from Virginia find any ovoids so far this season? I’m in northern va and haven’t had too much rain so far, still been hunting for them but it’s hard to find an area that has the right conditions. Almost impossible to find a creek with a bank that is susceptible to flooding, and the ground near most creeks near me is just solid mud, and doesn’t have any rotting wood/mulch. I’m sure they grow around here somewhere but I have a feeling I won’t come across any anytime soon. All I can do is keep exploring new spots and pray that the ovoid gods will bless me

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: nickh180]
    #27294640 - 05/04/21 10:30 PM (4 days, 12 hours ago)

If you’re in the DC area almost nothing is happening right now. I haven’t found anything but rotten pathetic little fruits for the past week. You might want to check areas far south and far north where there’s been a lot of rain. Northern Va got a good amount of rain today but immediately north of DC the rain didn’t even make it to the forest floor. Mulched areas have been totally unproductive this year. I’ve never seen a season like this before.

--------------------

Offlineatothedam2
Stranger
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: nickh180]
    #27294645 - 05/04/21 10:35 PM (4 days, 12 hours ago)

I'm across the border in western MD and having the same issue, especially with the muddy banks. I don't remember ever seeing mulch/woodchips out near creeks or rivers, is this a thing that happens commonly? Lots of decaying leaf piles and sticks, but no mulch. I always thought mulch was for public areas like playgrounds and apartment complexes, and I imagine it's too crowded to hunt in those kinds of areas.

Jump to top. Pages: < First | < Back | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification