Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinejdawg333
Stranger
Leary's Take on Acid Purity * 5
    #27293660 - 05/04/21 10:00 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I never know what 'acid gurus' are going to say about purity. It's certainly a contentious topic here that gets a lot of arguing and doesn't seem to have an obvious solution. People generally are either on the side that thinks LSD is a very special molecule so purer acid gives you a better trip whereas impure acid can contain dangerous other chemicals or give you a dirty trip, or the side that thinks all acid is the same and the trip only depends on dose, set and setting.

I found an interview with Gibby Haynes of the Butthole Surfers, who lived with Timothy Leary for a while along with Ministry's Al Jourgensen. Apparently they were guinea pigs for drug experiments he did? I recommend looking into it if you are interested.

Anyway, in this interview I found, Gibby Haynes mentions a conversation he remembers with Leary where he asked him if he had any of that 'good sandoz' acid lying around, or something of exceptional purity from the 60s:

Quote:

I asked him, ‘What is really good LSD like?’ and he was like, ‘Well, you’ve done acid, right? and I was like, ‘Yeah, I tuned in, turned on, and dropped out, and now I’m an alcoholic drug addict’ and he goes ‘Don’t lay that bullshit on me, man!’ But I was just fuckin’ with him. He said, ‘Well, have you done acid? and I was like ‘Yeah’ and he goes, ‘Well, did you trip? and I said ‘Yeah,’ and he goes ‘Then you did really good acid. It’s either really good acid or it’s not acid.’

Here's the article: http://www.phawker.com/2020/01/15/the-locust-abortion-technician-qa-w-gibby-haynes-frontman-of-the-butthole-surfers/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: Leary's Take on Acid Purity [Re: jdawg333] * 1
    #27293832 - 05/04/21 11:27 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

jdawg333 said:

I found an interview with Gibby Haynes of the Butthole Surfers, who lived with Timothy Leary for a while

Say what!? :lol:

I had no idea that the dude from Butthole Surfers lived with Timothy Leary at some point, that's wild lol.

Super cool post! :thumbup:

-OM

--------------------

Offlinejdawg333
Stranger
Re: Leary's Take on Acid Purity [Re: openmind] * 1
    #27293860 - 05/04/21 11:37 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, apparently Gibby got kicked out for pissing on the floor too often. Something about a connection he drunk brain made between the white tiles of the kitchen and the bathroom. He also says Leary had a nearly blind dog that he would forget to let out that would also shit/piss all over the floor. Here's a description from Al Jourgensen on the kind of experiences Leary would give him:

Quote:

I’d have these horrific visions of Hell and the apocalypse: naked people with blood spouting from every orifice; skies that turned black, then silver, then white again; winged beasts with razor-sharp talons; and, most of all, spiders of all shapes and sizes. They’d fall from the sky. They’d come up from the ground. They’d creep around corners and crawl all over me. I’d be screaming and trying to brush off the bugs. And I’d always end up staggering over to Tim’s blind dog, Mr. Bodles, that Lemmy, my dog, is probably related to. I’d grab his collar, and he would take me outside so I could breathe without spiders scurrying in my mouth and down my throat. Talk about the blind leading the blind. After an hour or so Tim would come out and stare at me. Then he’d take more notes and ask me some questions about how I was feeling and what I was seeing. He’d measure the diameter of my pupils and see if I could track his fingers with my eyes. I don’t know if I passed or failed; I just know I saw spiders. The stuff he gave me was so strong that it took effect in less than twenty minutes. The visions were instantaneous, and they were never enjoyable. But I’d subject myself to it because it helped him out somehow, and I knew if I did my job, my rent was paid and I had a place to stay.

Don't listen to Ministry all that much but I love me some Butthole Surfers. That bed interview is so awesome to me because I cannot tell if it's true trip babble or them kind of fucking with the interviewer and putting on a show. Probably both with an emphasis on the latter. Gibby once claimed in an interview that he didn't do acid that much, then said that he 'only did it several dozen times'. I'd imagine that doesn't include mushrooms either!

OfflineTyperwritermonky
shboop a doop a doop

Loc: Mrs. Brown's Teahouse
Re: Leary's Take on Acid Purity [Re: jdawg333]
    #27293891 - 05/04/21 11:59 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting, AFAIK Leary probably only ever ate Sandoz LSD, or maybe later in the years Orange Sunshine from Sands and Scully?  So perhaps considering he was eating the two best batches ever floating about, it wasn't much concern to him.

Offlinejdawg333
Stranger
Re: Leary's Take on Acid Purity [Re: Typerwritermonky] * 1
    #27293940 - 05/04/21 12:42 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Certainly possible, I still believe that Leary has taken random acid at times though if he expresses the belief that acid is acid if it makes you trip (in a non nbome or bromo dragonfly way but those effects are obvious lol). In Pickard's account of a ridiculous megadose in that recent interview, not necessarily describing his own experience, by the way, he mentioned the chemists in question playing 'sacred music' in the laboratory. This confirms accounts and legend I have heard long before this interview of acid chemists playing certain chants and frequencies in the lab for 'some reason'. I thought Leary's perspective here was interesting because these are such time-honored and rumor-filled tropes it is very refreshing to hear them spoken about plainly and by the people who were actually fully emerged in the scene when it was in first in full swing.

Invisibleacidgoofy
Freak

Loc: Germany
    #27294133 - 05/04/21 02:40 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I think some acid can have a better vibe to it then others but that's not due to purity

--------------------
“What you seek is seeking you” Rumi

OfflineTyperwritermonky
shboop a doop a doop

Loc: Mrs. Brown's Teahouse
Re: Leary's Take on Acid Purity [Re: acidgoofy]
    #27294190 - 05/04/21 03:27 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

@jdawg

Owsley would call in to local radio stations and tell them what to play while he was cooking his batches so the frequencies in the air would change the way the LSD "came out."

InvisibleRoadAppleSnapple
Learning.

Re: Leary's Take on Acid Purity [Re: openmind]
    #27294232 - 05/04/21 03:52 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

openmind said:
Quote:

jdawg333 said:

I found an interview with Gibby Haynes of the Butthole Surfers, who lived with Timothy Leary for a while

Say what!? :lol:

I had no idea that the dude from Butthole Surfers lived with Timothy Leary at some point, that's wild lol.

Super cool post! :thumbup:

-OM

YES! And great vid OpenMind. :rasta:

'Cinnamon and sugary
And softly spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes'

:rockon:

Great post OP!

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
Re: Leary's Take on Acid Purity [Re: RoadAppleSnapple]
    #27294872 - 05/05/21 12:16 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I saw the BS back in the late 80's. Locust abortion tech tour, good stuff.

--------------------

OfflineSonicTitan
 User Gallery

Re: Leary's Take on Acid Purity [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #27295123 - 05/05/21 06:45 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Don't listen to Ministry all that much 

Psalm 69 :awesomenod:

Butthole Surfers i bet would be awesome live.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Re: Leary's Take on Acid Purity [Re: SonicTitan]
    #27295316 - 05/05/21 09:44 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

In the 80's they probably were, not now. I'm not sure if you know how Texas people age and such, lol!

and 90's!:nursemaryjane:

--------------------

Edited by tyrannicalrex (05/05/21 06:43 PM)

OfflineSonicTitan
 User Gallery

Re: Leary's Take on Acid Purity [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #27295415 - 05/05/21 11:29 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

BHS in mid 90s would of been really good too.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Offlinejdawg333
Stranger
Re: Leary's Take on Acid Purity [Re: SonicTitan] * 1
    #27295699 - 05/05/21 03:31 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I saw an absolutely incredible BHS performance of Sweat Loaf on YouTube a few weeks ago. It was from 87 I believe? Anyway it was in some kind of pretty small club but they had crazy ass projections going on in the background, a naked lady dancing in the center, and the craziest strobes I've ever seen going. The strobes are the only reason I bring this up, it literally made me feel like I was tripping on acid just watching the video sober.

Another BHS pop culture connection I found recently is their link to Daniel Johnston. The 'Hi How Are You' outsider artist icon type guy. Anyway apparently he was sort of pals with Gibby Haynes and actually first took/was dosed acid at a BHS show in Texas. A week later he apparently hit his manager over the head with a lead pipe, he even mentions it in this conversation with Gibby I'll link. It's very fascinating to me to see somebody like Daniel Johnston so obviously tripping balls, and bothering Gibby Haynes no less. Very weird and awesome band.

This video reminds me so so much of calming tripping friends down. And calming myself down while tripping lol

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

#27296031 - 05/05/21 06:52 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Oh yeah, I was at the lolaplooza 1992 (and 93), saw gibby make a surprise cameo w/ministry and do jesus built my hot rod. Then he came on stage w.RHCP, that was the show fruischanti(sp?) walked off stage and right before that split..

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies