Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer, Perlite, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesteephead
Stranger

What should I do differently on my second attempt?
    #27293041 - 05/03/21 11:15 PM (3 days, 9 hours ago)

I tried the PF Tek method. I was able to get the mycelium to grow all around my jars and waited about 4 days to a week later to fruit them. My SGFC had holes all around, with perlite. I had a hygrometer inside. Sometimes the humidity dipped below 90%. That might have been my problem. I didn't get any growth at all. What should I do? Stick with the PF Tek? I have different species to use. So that's good..but should I stick with the PF Tek? I'm also waiting for a reptifogger. So that should get rid of my humidity problem. The only other problem I may have had was not shaking the syringe enough. The blot/blob inside didn't really break up at all and pretty much the whole thing inoculated a single jar. I should the syringe up enough for the jars to colonize apparently. So I don't see how that could be a problem.

I had some blueing happening on my cakes. At one point I put a cake in a week later than the rest because it was a little slow colonizing and it turned blue within a couple days.

I tried to fan for about 30 seconds at a time immediately after misting, but eventually I was reading that a lot of people think it's unnecessary with the holes. I had a window open right beside the SGFC at times. Toward the first couple weeks I just had a window open in another room in my apartment.

I tried to keep to the 12 on / 12 off light cycle but wasn't the best at that. I might have had a few of 8 on / 16 off days or vice versa.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OnlineGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Loc: Lakeside Amusement Park Flag
Re: What should I do differently on my second attempt? [Re: steephead]
    #27293214 - 05/04/21 01:58 AM (3 days, 6 hours ago)

Your cakes got too dry, a sgfc provides a good amount
of passive air exchange, so you need to care for moisture.
I`d advise a humidity chamber, but you already decided
to get a fogger.
Cubes don`t like misting and fanning on a schedule,
if the fogger keeps running while your cakes have enough humidity,
you`ll run in similar issues. Your eyes are the best weapon in cultivation.

Maybe you can dial it in, and also have a look here.

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

Invisiblefungusul
Fungus Kingdom
 User Gallery

Re: What should I do differently on my second attempt? [Re: Goatrider]
    #27294444 - 05/04/21 08:17 PM (2 days, 12 hours ago)

Welcome to Shroomery! :mushroom2:

Using a hygrometer is not recommended. It's going to give you the wrong information. It's important to see if there are water droplets on the surface of the cakes.

To properly shake the syringe, you could create an air bubble inside by inspiring some air.

As goatrider has suggested, using a humidity chamber instead of SGFC it's a good idea. HC requires no maintenance and yields are better.

Read Updated PF Tek Guide.

OfflineAlmondDuck
Stranger

#27294460 - 05/04/21 08:28 PM (2 days, 12 hours ago)

I tried PF Tek and got to the same stage as you. Only 1 mushroom grew and nothing else. I did broke boi bulk tek afterwards and had much better success. You also don't have to fool around with calibrating a SGFC. If you do decide to do broke boi I would recommend also learning agar first because it can be  more prone to contams than PF tek.

OnlineGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Loc: Lakeside Amusement Park Flag
Re: What should I do differently on my second attempt? [Re: AlmondDuck]
    #27294798 - 05/05/21 12:47 AM (2 days, 8 hours ago)

Most people fail in not providing the needed conditions.
In a sgfc you need to keep up moisture as good as possible,
so the more cakes you place in ,the better, say 12-15 in a standard tub.
That way they can spend some moisture themselfes.

Often you see people with 2-3 cakes in a big box,
so cakes usually end up overmisted and later on dried, finally matted.

Pf tek is and imo will always be a great thing, if you stay small scale,
or just in between for some experiments/fun projects.
I love brf cause it can put bacteria in a corner.

So yeah, a humidity chamber is much less work, and set and forget :wink:

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

Offlinesteephead
Stranger

Re: What should I do differently on my second attempt? [Re: fungusul]
    #27294847 - 05/05/21 01:40 AM (2 days, 7 hours ago)

Quote:

fungusul said:
Welcome to Shroomery! :mushroom2:

Using a hygrometer is not recommended. It's going to give you the wrong information. It's important to see if there are water droplets on the surface of the cakes.

To properly shake the syringe, you could create an air bubble inside by inspiring some air.

As goatrider has suggested, using a humidity chamber instead of SGFC it's a good idea. HC requires no maintenance and yields are better.

Read Updated PF Tek Guide.

What do the water droplets look like? How would I know how humid the chamber is without a hygrometer then?

Edited by steephead (05/05/21 01:40 AM)

OfflineHikeadellic
Visionary
Male

Loc: Appalachian Trail
    #27294852 - 05/05/21 01:47 AM (2 days, 7 hours ago)

The water drops look like hundreds of little beads of water on top of the surface

Maybe look into colonizing pf tek jars then shreding them to a bulk substrate with a cheese grater

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer, Perlite, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started