Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Shpongle

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Loc: London
New tune!
    #2729111 - 05/25/04 08:13 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It's taken me a year, but finally I had the inspiration to make something new. I spent a few miserable months trying to sound like Shpongle (it was never going to work :rolleyes:) but then I guess I just chilled out a bit and didn't let it worry me. It's far more fun to just do your own thing than beat yourself up about the fact that you're not like someone else.

http://www.rob-k.srv2.com/zero_hour.mp3

This is a kind of a "Version 1" .I'm not much of a perfectionist so there are a couple of things I'm not 100% happy with. Will probably make version 2 once it has simmered for a week....

comments appreciated!

--------------------
-{ divined from the mind }--

My music

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: New tune! [Re: Rob_K]
    #2729196 - 05/25/04 08:41 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I spent a few miserable months trying to sound like Shpongle

hahahahaha yeah, I know exactly how ya feel. I did that as well, and man did it just waste my efforts.

Re: the song, you're very good with sound scapes. What sort of tools did you use for the more drone/ambient sounds?
I like the progression a lot, and the layers you put into it with the guitar and the slide, etc. is a good way to develop it.  but, in my constructive opinion, one thing you could work on is movement in your song. You've got the foundation, you just need to bring it somewhere.  I know your influences, I can tell your talent, so I know what you're capable of :wink:
I like your song a lot, you have a great ear.  I just think you could take it more places, if you understand what i mean...

:thumbup:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineDannyT
Danny Tanner
 User Gallery
Loc: Souf Carolina
    #2729285 - 05/25/04 09:03 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hey, nifty.  I hate being stuck without motivation or something to help me in coming up with new stuff.  But anywho, we shall move on to the topic at hand.  I like the track as well, it's got a nice feel to it, I think.  The only thing that I would do differently with it would be to make the the last drum section, after the slide part have a little more to it.  Maybe distort them slightly and have it as a crescendo type deal.  All in all, I like it  :laugh:

OfflineDoktorJ

Loc: canada
    #2730412 - 05/26/04 01:00 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

nice track man.

what software did you use for what part?

we should collaborate sometime if you're into it...simon posford is my musikal god.

check out some of my demo's sometime on my musik page.

keep the phat knob cranked. :mushroom2:

peace
doktor J
www.doktorj.ca

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
Re: New tune! [Re: DoktorJ]
    #2731047 - 05/26/04 05:26 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

very nice tune :smile:

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

#2731831 - 05/26/04 01:12 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks guys!

Most of this tune was made on my Korg Triton (cue drooling from Blastrid..) but there are a few other sounds in there. The wind sound at the start and end is taken from a sound effect CD (quite an old one which annoyingly introduces hiss to the recording); the funky guitar is a DI'd electroacoustic through a VST flanger; the slide guitar is an electric played through a Line 6 'Pod' to make it sound more real, the piano is a VST instrument (Steinberg's 'The Grand')

Also, I cheated on the slide guitar part- I used Autotune with a very slow tracking speed to make it easier to hit the notes cleanly. (Gimme a break, that's pretty much the first time I ever played slide guitar!) This is also the first piece of music I have produced using Cubase SX2, having moved up from Acid Pro 4. Not an easy leap, but it had to be done!

In answer to Blastrid, these soundscapes are relatively easy to conjure up with the Triton- wack a few buttons down, wiggle the joystick or sweep up and down the control ribbon and there you have your ambiant effects. The tricky part is balancing the volume of each sound within the patch and layering up 2 or 3 different patches at the same time to give more complexity. When you record it in stereo, most of the interesting panning effects are automated inside the triton, so once you've tweaked it you let it do it's thing and keep your fingers crossed! I know what you mean about the progression- I'm thinking about it and it's difficult once you get stuck in a chord loop like that. Hopefully version 2 should make something more of it!

lurker, I've been playing piano since 7, flute since 10, guitar since 13 and I'm now 22. Got my degree in music & technology last year. I've probably been writing tunes for about 4 years but I'm not very prolific.. Hopefully that will change!

--------------------

My music

Invisibleshroomerylurker
lurker
Re: New tune! *DELETED* [Re: Rob_K]
    #2731882 - 05/26/04 01:28 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by shroomerylurker

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #2731905 - 05/26/04 01:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

nice, keep up updated on all your new songs :laugh:

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Re: New tune! [Re: shroomerylurker]
    #2731957 - 05/26/04 01:56 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

lurker, the popping you hear is the sound of me trying to repair a dodgy bit of slide guitar playing.. Didn't quite get the crossfade right and after fiddling for a while I just wanted to get the mix up here so I could go to bed.. It won't be in the final version! But thanks for noticing, and I'm glad you like the tune  :smile:

--------------------

My music

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

#2732014 - 05/26/04 02:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

once I get familiar with Cubase, we gotta collab Rob K...

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Re: New tune! [Re: Blastrid]
    #2732056 - 05/26/04 02:18 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I've thought about this.. any thoughts about how it would work? Would it be like playing pingball with audio files? Definitely an interesting idea.

What do you have in mind?

--------------------

My music

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

#2732110 - 05/26/04 02:29 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I've done it with Danny in Fruity, and there's a .zip feature that you can transfer the midi data along with attached samples, etc.

Cubase, I don't know yet. I will be receiving Tutorials soon, which should hopefully get me off my ass and learn it. I'm sure there's a similar easy way to transfer a packaged song.

We come up with a song concept, a sort of general blueprint. Find the most important voices, which might be tricky considering you use more hardware than I do... We can work it out, I think it'd be a blast.

Brainstorm for a while on style, features, general form/concept for both our styles.

check out my zebox page if you haven't heard all my tunes: www.zebox.com/stereopattern Subaquatics is the newest

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    ex.  Blastrid!

InvisibleKackleDude
transmundaneother

Loc: Close to the Edge, Down b...
    #2733976 - 05/26/04 10:25 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Excellent song mate, tis bueno!

--------------------
yeeeahh, it's gonna be well wicked

Invisibleshroomerylurker
lurker
Re: New tune! *DELETED* [Re: Blastrid]
    #2735702 - 05/27/04 09:30 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by shroomerylurker

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Re: New tune! [Re: shroomerylurker]
    #2736546 - 05/27/04 01:48 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

shroomerylurker said:
You know you could always just send each instrument over as it's own track and he could just put it in as samples in to other sequencers.

We could, but that would end up being a large amount of data, and also making each instrument a finalized track/.wav would eliminate the option of changing it by the other person. MIDI data is much much smaller, and manipulatable.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    ex.  Blastrid!

Offlineaquamantar
Stranger
    #2737263 - 05/27/04 04:36 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Cool, I like it! It flows nicely.
Great sounds and melody....I'd probably tweak a bit more on the drums....but that's me, being a drummer.
Cubase SX is great. I use it to record my band and Sound to Picture.

Doesn't Cubase has some sort of plug-in or function where multiple users can work together on one screen over the internet? I know it was possible on Cubase 5...I'm not sure about SX though.
check this out:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM00/Steinberg/Rocket_Release.html

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

#2737813 - 05/27/04 07:16 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

lurker, I'm not sure what you mean about recording the piano sounds.. They are generated by a soft synth within Cubase. I recorded them by playing my keyboard but never got round to quantizing it. Because it contains triplets, if I'd quantized I'd have lost the intended rhythm.. I agree they could be tighter though!

Blastrid, if we both use the same soft synths then it shouldn't be a problem- as I'm the one who uses mostly hardware then if I added guitar or Triton sounds I could always upload them to my webspace and you could dowload them into the project's working folder. As long as you don't rename or alter the audio files there wouldn't be any need for you to re-upload them for my use.. I'll keep thinking about it as I really like this idea!

--------------------

My music

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

#2738347 - 05/27/04 09:29 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

wow, that sounds awesome, aqua. Wish I had a copy of that.

Rob- Yeah you're right. Do you have Soulseek? That is an easy way to transfer files to eachother as well.

But as I said, you'll have to give me a while to get used to Cubase...

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    ex.  Blastrid!

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

#2744176 - 05/29/04 01:44 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I don't but I'm sure I could get it. Cubase isn't actually as hard as it looks, but I think if you want to get beyond simple MIDI/audio recording and into the clever stuff then it will take some time. I'm currently trying to work out how to make surround sound mixes and burn them onto DVD Audio... that would be awesome!!

--------------------

My music

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Shpongle

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media