Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Scales, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinecicer0
Stranger
Is 10lbs of coir enough for a 60qt tub?
    #27290356 - 05/02/21 02:27 PM (6 days, 18 hours ago)

I have a 100qt tub and a 60qt tub. This is my first time doing this. I have 10.2lbs of coir, 4lbs of verm, and INFINITE gypsum. I've read around and people have stated coir coco coir alone suffices for a substrate; however, I have limited coir currently.

I feel if I prepare 3-4 parts coir and then add 1 part verm and 1 part, I might even have enough to do my 100qt, or have some coir saved for a second 60qt. My question is, I want to run the highest quality substrate I can produce as far as possible, so what is the best mix here?

Additionally, I'm wondering if I should break my 2.2lbs store bought bag of wheat seed across 4 jars for inoculation, or inject spores and tape them. I don't have a pressure cooker and I feel there would be little to no contamination if the seeds have never left the bag, but I would prefer putting my jars to use.

Thankyou very much for any tips or advice. This site has been splendid thus far and I look forward to the day I can meaningfully contribute myself.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFeasoghorm

Re: Is 10lbs of coir enough for a 60qt tub? [Re: cicer0]
    #27290370 - 05/02/21 02:35 PM (6 days, 18 hours ago)

It's enough for mamy tubs. I believe a 66qt tub get 650 grams of dry coir.

Offlinecicer0
Stranger
Re: Is 10lbs of coir enough for a 60qt tub? [Re: Feasoghorm]
    #27290377 - 05/02/21 02:41 PM (6 days, 18 hours ago)

I've read that. I just find it hard to believe because my brick doesn't seem too too big. I suppose you're right. My brick is very dense.

InvisibleKiller_Fungus
a wooden chair
I'm a teapot

#27290415 - 05/02/21 03:02 PM (6 days, 18 hours ago)

If you're trying to get the 'best' substrate mix, you're going to need to be pasteurizing cow, chicken, and horse shit along with some hay for a supreme variety of nutrients. But I doubt you're trying to do that.

The moisture content along with everything else you're adding should be plenty. you're holding onto a compressed dried brick of coir, it'll fluffen up with some water

--------------------
The Mad Man's DMT Tek
Killer_Fungus said:
I cannot express the amount of anxiety I had tripping on 4 grams of mushrooms while hauling about 8 monotubs in black plastic bags down 3 flights of stairs to the dumpsters and just hoping like hell that they didn't decide to call the cops anyways.

InvisibleMycelium Juice
Here for the weed
 User Gallery

Loc: planet earth
Re: Is 10lbs of coir enough for a 60qt tub? [Re: cicer0] * 1
    #27290416 - 05/02/21 03:02 PM (6 days, 18 hours ago)

Just dump some water on it and watch your brain explode as the coir expands.

A good basic recipe that gets thrown around here for a 66 qt tub is:

650 grams coir
3 quarts vermiculite
4-4.5 quarts water (depending on your verm and coir grade/moisture retention abilities, personally I use 4.25-4.5ish- you'll be able to dial it in quick with whatever you have.)

Check for field capacity.
Don't bother with gypsum, it doesn't mix well anyway.

This should work for your 60 qt tub.  You're 60% there for your 100 qt, so just do some math.  :einstein:

InvisibleKiller_Fungus
a wooden chair
I'm a teapot

Re: Is 10lbs of coir enough for a 60qt tub? [Re: Mycelium Juice]
    #27290420 - 05/02/21 03:05 PM (6 days, 18 hours ago)

Quote:

Mycelium Juice said:
Don't bother with gypsum, it doesn't mix well anyway.

I usually just added it to the boiling water before I dumped it onto my coir/verm.
They seemed to love it and it mixed fine. Plus it's stupid cheap so why not :shrug:

--------------------
The Mad Man's DMT Tek
Killer_Fungus said:
I cannot express the amount of anxiety I had tripping on 4 grams of mushrooms while hauling about 8 monotubs in black plastic bags down 3 flights of stairs to the dumpsters and just hoping like hell that they didn't decide to call the cops anyways.

InvisibleMycelium Juice
Here for the weed
 User Gallery

Re: Is 10lbs of coir enough for a 60qt tub? [Re: Killer_Fungus]
    #27290427 - 05/02/21 03:10 PM (6 days, 18 hours ago)

Do a side by side comparison with two tubs.  One with gypsum, one with out.  Lmk what you get.  Most veteran growers here don't bother with it for a reason.  I've joined them after doing my own research.  Stick around long enough and you'll notice that to be the case.

Glad it mixed well for you, I've thrown it in water many times and still had problems with it clumping once put to soil.  The only good use for it is grain spawn to help prevent clumping a bit in my book- and even then it's not a game changer by any means.

Offlinecicer0
Stranger
Thankyou! [Re: cicer0]
    #27290436 - 05/02/21 03:16 PM (6 days, 18 hours ago)

My first question has been fully answered. If anyone has a suggestion about my inoculation procedure I mentioned in the initial post it would be appreciated.

Quote:

Additionally, I'm wondering if I should break my 2.2lbs store bought bag of wheat seed across 4 jars for inoculation, or inject spores and tape them. I don't have a pressure cooker and I feel there would be little to no contamination if the seeds have never left the bag, but I would prefer putting my jars to use.

InvisibleMycelium Juice
Here for the weed
 User Gallery

Re: Thankyou! [Re: cicer0]
    #27290447 - 05/02/21 03:26 PM (6 days, 17 hours ago)

:ohmyfuck:

I suggest you do a lot of research. 

You're current idea will result in 100% failure.  We're here to help out, answer questions, and learn together- but please at least learn how the process works through the multitude of resources available here before you ask such a dumb ass question.

:cockafuck:

InvisibleKiller_Fungus
a wooden chair
I'm a teapot

Re: Thankyou! [Re: Mycelium Juice]
    #27290469 - 05/02/21 03:44 PM (6 days, 17 hours ago)

Thank you for the information  :takingnotes:  I will definitely do more research.

--------------------
The Mad Man's DMT Tek
Killer_Fungus said:

OfflineShakedown Street
Friend

Re: Thankyou! [Re: Killer_Fungus]
    #27293233 - 05/04/21 02:41 AM (5 days, 6 hours ago)

Last August I discovered that a brick of coir expands into 8 quarts when it is hydrated to property field capacity.

When I made my 12 qt. mini-monotubs, I drew a line with a Sharpie 3 inches up from the bottom.    Then I filled it with water up to that line.    It took 26.5 cups or 6.625 quarts.

Since all Sterilite plastic tubs look alike, you can just scale this up proportionally to your size tub.

InvisibleGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Loc: Lakeside Amusement Park Flag
Re: Thankyou! [Re: Shakedown Street]
    #27293266 - 05/04/21 04:02 AM (5 days, 5 hours ago)

You may just do some maths.
Take the floor space of your tub/box in dm.
Maybe the box is 20x30cm, so 2x3dm.
You multiply again for height so x1 for 4".
So 6 litres or dm³ in total.

Most people just dump in the spawn, and eyeball up with substrate to desired height though :wink:

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

Re: Thankyou! [Re: Goatrider] * 1
    #27293281 - 05/04/21 04:42 AM (5 days, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

cicer0 said:
My first question has been fully answered. If anyone has a suggestion about my inoculation procedure I mentioned in the initial post it would be appreciated.

Quote:

you’ll 10000% need to sterilize the seeds before you inoculate them. the only reason they aren’t growing mold in the bag is because they are dry, but they are covered in contaminate spores. get the bag wet & see how sterile it stays lol. you’ll have to do research on how to properly hydrate wheat seeds, but if you don’t have a pressure cooker you’re gonna have to steam sterilize them in the jars in a large pot, there’s no way around having to sterilize your grains. sterilizing will take significantly longer using steam vs pressure, but it can be done if you can’t find a pressure cooker.

going spore to grain generally isn’t recommended because it’s kinda a crap shoot, growth can be super slow if it happens at all & your syringe needs to be 100% sterile. i’d recommend learning agar or trying PF tek & then spawning the cakes to coir like you would with grains. if it’s the only option you might get results, but i wouldn’t expect too much

--------------------
you're not the first to set foot here, just another

OfflineBenson
The Kidd ⭐

Re: Thankyou! [Re: hazyhorse] * 1
    #27293489 - 05/04/21 09:18 AM (5 days, 1 minute ago)

Quote:

hazyhorse said:
Quote:

cicer0 said:

Quote:

you’ll 10000% need to sterilize the seeds before you inoculate them. the only reason they aren’t growing mold in the bag is because they are dry, but they are covered in contaminate spores. get the bag wet & see how sterile it stays lol. you’ll have to do research on how to properly hydrate wheat seeds, but if you don’t have a pressure cooker you’re gonna have to steam sterilize them in the jars in a large pot, there’s no way around having to sterilize your grains. sterilizing will take significantly longer using steam vs pressure, but it can be done if you can’t find a pressure cooker.

going spore to grain generally isn’t recommended because it’s kinda a crap shoot, growth can be super slow if it happens at all & your syringe needs to be 100% sterile. i’d recommend learning agar or trying PF tek & then spawning the cakes to coir like you would with grains. if it’s the only option you might get results, but i wouldn’t expect too much

:whathesaid:

Without doing these you're really just shooting yourself in the foot. It's not difficult work but does take some learning. Some things in this hobby can be shortcut but these two things cannot be for reliable, clean growth.

Welcome and good luck my guy :mushroom2:

--------------------
[||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||]

OfflineShakedown Street
Friend

Re: Thankyou! [Re: Benson]
    #27293934 - 05/04/21 02:36 PM (4 days, 18 hours ago)

Yes, that's right.  As soon as the coir is hydrated, it's a safe haven for whatever micro-organisms are on hand.    Most likely the invisible mold spores that make my cream cheese  turn green ten or fourteen days after I open the foil.    If your grain jars are not 100% white and ready to spawn  that day, and mine never are, load your hydrated coco-coir into extra heavy-duty gallon-size or bigger ziploc bags called "freezer bags" using a clean (washed w/ soap & water) quart jar.    Seal the bag, list the number of quarts you put into  it like so "4 qt. HCCV" and the date and put that bag into your freezer.

You will just need to remember and  get it out the freezer the day before your grain jars will be ready to spawn, and thaw it in the refrigerator.

InvisibleAntsInYourPants

#27294027 - 05/04/21 03:38 PM (4 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

Shakedown Street said:
Yes, that's right.  As soon as the coir is hydrated, it's a safe haven for whatever micro-organisms are on hand.    Most likely the invisible mold spores that make my cream cheese  turn green ten or fourteen days after I open the foil.    If your grain jars are not 100% white and ready to spawn  that day, and mine never are, load your hydrated coco-coir into extra heavy-duty gallon-size or bigger ziploc bags called "freezer bags" using a clean (washed w/ soap & water) quart jar.    Seal the bag, list the number of quarts you put into  it like so "4 qt. HCCV" and the date and put that bag into your freezer.

You will just need to remember and  get it out the freezer the day before your grain jars will be ready to spawn, and thaw it in the refrigerator.

I've spawned tubs of plain coir alongside tubs of coir/grain spawn as a control and my coir never contaminates so it's not really a haven for anything in my experience. I'm not positive whether there's contaminants in the plain coir waiting for nutrients or if the contamination always comes from the grain spawn but I lean more towards the latter. It does seem like plain coir isn't enough to support contamination growth either way. I've also let a bucket of it sit for a week with the lid on and it wasn't an issue when I spawned it with grain later.

OfflinePBJ710
Strangler

#27294061 - 05/04/21 04:02 PM (4 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

Shakedown Street said:

WHUT?!  Coco doesn't support growth on it's own as there is almost 0 nutrition in it.  I've left hydrated coco in an icechest for months without any issues.  You do NOT need to freeze it nor sterilize it.

Clean spawn is the real answer...

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

Re: Thankyou! [Re: AntsInYourPants]
    #27294069 - 05/04/21 04:07 PM (4 days, 17 hours ago)

yeah, coir won't contaminate on its own. i have a bucket of hydrated coir i keep on hand for weeks/months at a time & i've never seen a single speck of mold. mold/contam spores are everywhere in the air, & spawning is inherently an unsterile process. contams don't germinate on coir because there isn't any nutrition there, but if they can get a hold on grains that you're spawning they'll take off. i think this is why bacterial spawn will lead to trich & other contams, since weak myc can't fight off potential contaminates that are already in the coir, so i think both of your hypotheses are correct. if contams can get a foothold on the nutrients from grain, they'll get it. but contams will always be because of unclean spawn if you're spawning to coir

--------------------
you're not the first to set foot here, just another

OfflineShakedown Street
Friend

Re: Thankyou! [Re: hazyhorse]
    #27294144 - 05/04/21 04:48 PM (4 days, 16 hours ago)

Thanks for pointing out I was wrong.    Bacteria need food as well as water, I guess.  I'm actually happy to hear that.

OfflineUhohspagos
Stranger
    #27295333 - 05/05/21 12:05 PM (3 days, 21 hours ago)

Is this an advanced mycology question?

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Scales, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation