Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Cosby on Black America
    #2728052 - 05/25/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

BET
SJ Mercury News
Sun Herald

Apparently, Cosby hasn't lost relevance or edge...

?Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up their end of this deal,? he said to the audience. ?These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids -- $500 sneakers for what? And won?t spend $200 for ?Hooked on Phonics.?

?They?re standing on the corner, and they can?t speak English,? he continued. ?I can?t even talk the way these people talk: ?Why you ain?t, ?Where you is? ? And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk. ? Everybody knows it?s important to speak English except these knuckleheads ?. You can?t be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth.?

?These are not political criminals,? Cosby told the crowd. ?These are people going around stealing Cocoa-Cola ? people getting shot in the back of the head over a piece of pound cake, and then we run out and we are outraged ? ?The cops shouldn?t have shot him.? What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand??

(edit:links)

Edited by afoaf (05/25/04 03:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
Re: Cosby on Black America [Re: afoaf]
    #2728180 - 05/25/04 02:55 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Bill Cosby's son was murdered by a mugger in 1997. It's understandable he's not doing his goofy comedy routines anymore and has switched to more social commentary. Maybe there's too much social commentary, none of what I read was in anyway funny (the first two links are broken btw). What Chris Rock does is the most effective thing cause it's good advice AND it's funny, no surprise he gets a big audience.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Cosby on Black America [Re: question_for_joo]
    #2728201 - 05/25/04 02:59 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

> none of what I read was in anyway funny

Cosby's humor comes from his voice, facial expressions, etc... most comedians jokes aren't that funny when read on paper... it is the delivery that counts. (in most cases)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2728202 - 05/25/04 02:59 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

While I never found Cosby to be all that funny, he's nailed this.

Minorities and white punks are fucking themselves.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Cosby on Black America [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2728250 - 05/25/04 03:07 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

> Minorities and white punks are fucking themselves.

We (society) aren't helping any... kind of like giving the kid that is playing with matches a can of gasoline.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Cosby on Black America [Re: Seuss]
    #2728610 - 05/25/04 04:08 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

plz elaborate...

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2728763 - 05/25/04 04:40 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

He just feels guilty because it's all his fault.

--------------------
This space for rent

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: Cosby on Black America [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2728873 - 05/25/04 05:09 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

we are outraged ? ?The cops shouldn?t have shot him.? What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand??

i can only hope that was taken out of context :rolleyes:

and how did he 'nail this'

1) is the real problem that blacks do not speak 'proper english'? gimme a break.

2) what lower class people buy their kids $500 sneakers? by my definition, they would no longer be 'lower class' if they could do that.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cosby on Black America [Re: Tao]
    #2728937 - 05/25/04 05:21 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

1) is the real problem that blacks do not speak 'proper english'? gimme a break.

It's part of it. There is a culture of not trying and a sense of entitlement, that the world owes them something because they are black.

It is plainly clear to anyone who has opened their eyes that 90% of the problems with the "poor black population" is themselves.

They would rather complain about their situation than actually do anything about it. It's the same thing as the white trash trailer park population.

--------------------
This space for rent

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2728948 - 05/25/04 05:23 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:

It's part of it. There is a culture of not trying and a sense of entitlement, that the world owes them something because they are black.

It is plainly clear to anyone who has opened their eyes that 90% of the problems with the "poor black population" is themselves.

They would rather complain about their situation than actually do anything about it. It's the same thing as the white trash trailer park population.

:thumbup:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineTao
Village Genius

#2728951 - 05/25/04 05:25 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:

I agree to a point, but I think that's a far cry from speaking improper english. It's like a different dialect of a language, it doesn't cripple you from social advancement IMO.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2728966 - 05/25/04 05:31 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I think he's talking about extremely bad english.

Like: "Howza, I izz alookin fuh a jawb"

It's the same thing as the white redneck with three teeth saying "Gaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwleeeeeeeeeee Iz shornz a whishin' you'ze ta be givin mezz uh jawrb."

--------------------
This space for rent

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#2729000 - 05/25/04 05:39 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

It's like a different dialect of a language, it doesn't
cripple you from social advancement IMO.

it does if you know no other 'dialect'.

this thread was prompted by listening to Leykis the
other day...he had nothing but black callers on the
show discussing this thing and each one of them
basically made the same point as BH.

you'll never succeed if you walk around thinking everyone
is against you, everyone owes you something and/or
you can't communicate and operate in a professional
manner.

--------------------

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #2729006 - 05/25/04 05:42 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

This speech was given at an event celebrating what integration has done for the black community.  But what has it done?  The drop-out rate among black high school students is outrageous (approaching 50% in some places I've heard).  They obviously don't value an education so how do they plan on integrating into society?  Yet, we are bombarded by those claiming they're owed reparations because they're great, great, great grand mother was a slave.  Or that they aren't given an oppourtunity to succeed in this white man's world.  And that cops single them out for no reason.

What Cosby was trying to say by the language thing was how do they expect to function in society if they can't communicate.  What business owner wants to hire someone that can't talk to customers or represent his company the way they want? 

2) what lower class people buy their kids $500 sneakers? by my definition, they would no longer be 'lower class' if they could do that.

He was saying that they're spending money on unnecesary things.  I've seen many people that were in dire straits on a fixed budget buy cigarettes, have a cell phone, buy alcohol, go out, and then complain they don't have money for rent.  They are still low income, they just have the wrong priorities.

I believe the pound cake comment was also not meant to be literal.  The man from Cleveland several months ago who died while struggling with the police is great example.  He attacked the cops and they get blaimed for his death.  In Houston, a 15 year old boy was shot and killed by police.  The cops were blaimed and the parents said "He was just going to the movies."  No mention that he was to young to drive and when the cop tried to stop him after noticing the teen driving recklessly in the parking lot he tried to run over the cop.

The real outrage to me is that only a black man could say this.  If a white man were to bring it up, he'd be branded a racist.  If a white person ever brings up an issue about another race, they're told they can't talk about it, they can't relate or know because they're white.  :rolleyes:

In fact, just of what I just said, some will now probably label me a racist.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2729014 - 05/25/04 05:43 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

It's like a different dialect of a language, it doesn't cripple you from social advancement IMO.

Try talking to a few HR directors. It makes a big difference.

Frankly, it makes them sound like idiots. At least with immigrants English is most often a second language. Hell, many Americans have no second language skills at all, so kudos to the immigrants.

But morons who either won't or can't speak English.... deserve all the burger joint jobs they can get.

In the area I live, some of the sayings that get me are...... "so didn't I", and "it weren't me".

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Cosby on Black America [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2729029 - 05/25/04 05:47 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

My wife is from the Netherlands, when I met her she spoke better English than many Americans (her English language skills have improved since moving to the U.S.).

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: Cosby on Black America [Re: Evolving]
    #2729077 - 05/25/04 06:00 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Integration has done alot for alot of black citizens - there are many succesfull black professionals, from comedians to scientists.

However, bh and lovedem have this one nailed - there are tons of black people who want "what they have comin", and won't do anything to impove their own standard of living.

It is hard for people born in a bad social climate to make anything of themselves, but it's impossible to change the social climate that poor blacks and whites live in by giving handouts - though public education is necessary to give the few that decide to help themselves a chance.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2729112 - 05/25/04 06:14 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I would like to talk to yooouuuuuuuu. About some of the things that you do in your SHOW.

You can not say filth flarn filth in front of people.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: Cosby on Black America [Re: Evolving]
    #2729175 - 05/25/04 06:34 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Evolving said:
My wife is from the Netherlands, when I met her she spoke better English than many Americans (her English language skills have improved since moving to the U.S.).

Dutch are the best second language english speakers (there's got to be a better way to put that) I've yet to run across. :thumbup:

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Cosby on Black America [Re: Learyfan]
    #2729315 - 05/25/04 07:09 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

:confused:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale