Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Agar, Hemp, HEPA Filter, Hydroponics Supplies, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMycelialMan
Stranger

My First Flow Hood
    #27288443 - 05/01/21 12:17 AM (5 days, 8 hours ago)

So I'm putting together my plans to build my first laminar flow hood. I've thought about doing this for quite some time, but just recently dug into the research, and fuck man. Now, if I understand the math right, then I think I may have finally gotten it all together. I've debated posting anything on this subject, as it's been touched on extensively, but I chose to wait and exhaust all of my research efforts so I wasn't just gumming up the works any more than necessary. Now that I think I have everything fairly figured out (god, I hope I do) and I think I'm ready to move, I wanted to throw these specs out there to be positive I'm not going to buy all the wrong things, build it, and then have airflow that's just throwing particles all over my workspace.

So, here's what I've got:

I bought this 24x24x12 HEPA filter from a local filter supplier:

If I have this right, because the surface area of the HEPA is 4 sqft and we're looking for 100fpm velocity out of the HEPA, we multiply 100fpm x 4sqft, which gives me 400CFM.

To achieve the 400CFM, with the resistance of the HEPA (1.2") & the pre-filter (+/- .2") equaling 1.3", I would need a fan that pushes 400CFM@1.3inwg.

If this is correct, then I believe I may have found my fan to match my HEPA. But I still have a question or 2. What is my margin of error, or safe range, in terms of the CFM number?
I have found a couple of fans that I think are probably close enough. These are the specs on them:
1) 460CFM@1.3" (this is the one I was thinking might be perfect)                         
2) 527CFM@1.2"

My other question has to do with the air flow rating on my HEPA, listed on the label in the pic, as being 1,700CFM. Any other filter I have observed others use in their builds seems to be under half of that. Does this number even matter? I haven't really seen that number play a factor in the equations that I'm seeing people use. If it does matter, then how does it change things?

Any input, direction, help, verification or correction is much appreciated! Let me know if I'm missing something, I'm right, or if I went down this rabbit hole and didn't come out with any understanding at all :crying:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Re: My First Flow Hood [Re: MycelialMan]
    #27288473 - 05/01/21 12:55 AM (5 days, 7 hours ago)

Some people get really out of hand with the details of this. You have a pretty good sized window of effective operation. If the air at least moves over your work space ( it will ) but slowly, you will already be between 10-20x better off than without a flow hood haha. It more of an issue if its too much flow and the air is turbulant and pulling contams in from outside the airstream. Personally I would shoot for underkill rather than overkill in this department. Inline duct fans are quite nice, not just HVAC style blowers. They also are friendly to cheap, easy to find VFD units to throttle them right where you want. My hood uses 2 of these with a single speed control so I can set it where I want it...quiet, affordable, reliable, adjustable.

OfflineMycelialMan
Stranger

Re: My First Flow Hood [Re: Smartattack]
    #27288481 - 05/01/21 01:05 AM (5 days, 7 hours ago)

I was actually considering a strategy of getting a fan that's a little over powered and using a variable speed controller to dial it in and just test it with a lighter or something to help visualize the flow. I figured it might be obvious when the flow is right.

InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
    #27288487 - 05/01/21 01:14 AM (5 days, 7 hours ago)

All you need to do to know for sure is to time test agar plates placed in front of it. You can do one for 1 minute 1 for 5 one for 10 etc (multiples are better) and see where you stand. My old shitty furnace filter thing I used to use was effective, but only would average like less than a minute realistically. Current hood I dont know as I left quite a few now for over an hour without growing anything. Its a game changer for sure once you are done.

OfflineMycelialMan
Stranger

Re: My First Flow Hood [Re: Smartattack]
    #27288500 - 05/01/21 01:26 AM (5 days, 7 hours ago)

That makes a lot of sense. I can get analysis paralysis sometimes and stress out about getting things perfect lol. I think I'm about ready to get the show on the road. I appreciate the insight!

OfflineTigerStrike
carpophore locator
 User Gallery

#27288557 - 05/01/21 02:55 AM (5 days, 5 hours ago)

Consider the cloudline. You dont need 100 cfm. You dont need 50. But do some calculations those fans PUSHHARD. I have a million flow hoods. I wish I had just hooked up a cloudline t4 to my 18x18 and probably a t6 to 24 24 and anything larger t8 up to 2ftx4ft or a 36 36 t8 would be fine.

Theres pros in the regular thread cult thread that would weigh in this is not an advanced topic imo. It feels advanced and welcome to the Flow hood club tho :smile:

OfflineMycelialMan
Stranger

Re: My First Flow Hood [Re: TigerStrike]
    #27288825 - 05/01/21 10:05 AM (4 days, 22 hours ago)

Quote:

TigerStrike said:
Consider the cloudline. You dont need 100 cfm. You dont need 50. But do some calculations those fans PUSHHARD. I have a million flow hoods. I wish I had just hooked up a cloudline t4 to my 18x18 and probably a t6 to 24 24 and anything larger t8 up to 2ftx4ft or a 36 36 t8 would be fine.

Theres pros in the regular thread cult thread that would weigh in this is not an advanced topic imo. It feels advanced and welcome to the Flow hood club tho :smile:

Thanks my friend. It definitely does feel advanced for a first timer like me lol! I actually have the cloudline t6 with the carbon filter set up to pump fresh air into my grow tent. I love their products, and yeah that thing blows pretty damn strong on the top couple of settings! You can kind of see it on the top of the tent in the pic, and the thermostat for it on the wall to the left. Love that thing!

OfflineTigerStrike
carpophore locator
 User Gallery

#27288897 - 05/01/21 11:14 AM (4 days, 21 hours ago)

DAMN dude is that a 5x5? I i think its bigger. Nice ass setup bro! I do winter hydroponics in a 2x4 and 5x5 similarly equipped sp 250 in the 2x4 and ts3000 in the 5x5. I run bok choi and letttuce and a few other thing!! Yeah just get your FH set up and plumub the hepa with a hole ready for pussing air through and when you are ready to run the filter just stick your cloudline and boop maybe seal it with masking tape that unpeels easy so it does not leak then boom put it back after you innocilated or whatever.. No expensive calculated blower stuff. I think it is VERY important to have built a proper flowhood first. and used one to be able to make a determination like just the clousline and dont worry about the paul stamets "suggested guessed you know what i mean" rate.

Also is that the vivos sun seeed germination matt and the thermistat to the right of the other stat?

Edited by TigerStrike (05/01/21 11:45 AM)

OfflineMycelialMan
Stranger

#27288928 - 05/01/21 11:47 AM (4 days, 21 hours ago)

Thanks man! It's the 10x5. A few months ago I decided to just go balls deep lol. It has transformed the way I do pretty much everything, for the better! I also want to get the 5x5 so I can have a little diversity in growing conditions. In my dream world I would have a warehouse with like 10 of these things lol. I appreciate the info on the FH! I started down the rabbit hole a couple weeks ago and every time I would get an answer to a question it would present 3 more questions. Started to feel like I was getting really down into the weeds with it. Just getting more and more paranoid that I'm gonna spend all this money and effort and none of it would be right.

OfflineTigerStrike
carpophore locator
 User Gallery

#27288933 - 05/01/21 11:53 AM (4 days, 20 hours ago)

I want you to look at what DR bruce Bugbee is doing for scientific research at utah state university. "https://psc.usu.edu/news/hemp" then watch the video and observe the "Advanced pods" they use.

the other tour vid.

OfflineMycelialMan
Stranger

#27289113 - 05/01/21 01:52 PM (4 days, 18 hours ago)

That's really impressive! Kind of makes me want to go back to school lol. That's the kind of stuff that gets me excited. I can't imagine what it must be like to have access to that level of equipment and lab environments!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Agar, Hemp, HEPA Filter, Hydroponics Supplies, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology