Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleWrightii
Stranger Danger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

The Official Hericium Thread * 8
    #27286241 - 04/29/21 07:47 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I am in no way an expert/authority on this topic (so feel free to correct or add) but I’ve experienced some grows and will try to convey what I found/experienced 😊. I'm sure there's a 100 other ways, this is just what works for me

This thread tries to introduce you to growing Hericium. Known for its delicate taste and possible nootropic effects it's a mushroom worth growing!
It is most useful to those new to growing Hericium, but with some background on mushroom cultivation in general. I split it up in roughly 3 parts.
The first part is about agar and cultures, the following about substrates, the last talks about grow methods and fruiting. If you feel something is missing let me know.

Content

1  - Agar
2  - LC
3  - Cloning fruits
4  - Storing cultures

5  - Grain spawn
6  - Bulk substrates

7  - Growing in bags
8  - Growing in jars
9  - Dowels and growing on logs
10 - Growing other ways
11 - Fruiting conditions

My grows are with Hericium Corraloides btw, a close relative of lions mane.
Quite sure the techniques and subs and whatever work for both mushrooms though!

1. Agar
  • Keep it simple: LME/PDA
  • Mycelium not consistent in appearance

Get ¨perfect results with simple LME agar (10 gr LME, 10 gr agar, 500 ml water). Additives are not really needed in my experience, they just increase contam risks. PDA also functioned just fine. The mycelium is not that picky, compared to most shrooms. Colonization with temps on the lower side (18 Celsius) went just fine. I even prefer a bit lower temps, as contams are less likely to pop up, The mycelium can take on quite some different appearances in my experience. Some parts can look whispy, some rhizomorphic, while other parts maybe even start to fruit. This can all happen on the same plate (PDA):

When using agar for transfers always try to take a piece of the side of the culture, that is still actively growing.

2. LC
  • 2% LME
  • Keep it moving

I’ve had good results with a simple 2% LME in water. Growth is quick and the mycelium very sturdy. A magnet stirrer is a huge plus, as breaking the mycelium is not that easy. Older cultures eventually form almost solid dots of mycelium. I inoculate all my LC’s by simply dropping in a small agar wedge.
I’ve used the LC’s to successfully inoculate grains, jars and bags with woodchips and dowels.

LC after 8 days with daily stirring:

3. Cloning fruits
  • Contamination prone due to fruit morphology
  • Use rapid transfers to obtain a clean culture

I obtained my running culture by cloning a wild Hericium. Cloning this mushroom can be somewhat challenging as the fruit has this weird shape that can house all the contams. Especially when cloning wild mushrooms. I found with cloning that the more the better. Try 20 small fruit pieces for cloning, and start looking for mycelium. Work as scheduled as possible during this stage. Older plates will have higher chances of (sporulating) contams, so start transferring as soon as a tiny bit of growth is visible. Again larger numbers increase the rate of success. 2 or 3 transfers later your often running a clean culture.
If you do not manage this way, using antibiotic enriched plates can make everything much and much easier. These however are not available everywhere, and using antibiotics IMO is a bit of a no go for hobby purposes.
Another technique I’ve heard of but never tried, is making an agar sandwich. Pour some plates with agar like usual, but with about half of the volume you would normally do. Transfer your fruit on to this plate, and grow it for a day or 2. Now comes the sandwich part; brew up a new batch of agar and let it cool down as much as possible while still being liquid. This agar is then poured over the first layer of agar with fruit on it in the original dish. This would supposedly trap most contamination while the fungus grows through it to the top and spreads. Can’t vouch for its effectiveness, but sounds pretty smart.

4. Storage of cultures
This species tolerates cold well and is therefore quite storage friendly.
Making slants with a normal agar LME recipe with an added piece of wood for longevity is no issue. So far, slants remain viable after storage at 4 Celsius for at least a year. It might very well be longer, but have not made it that far yet.
Slant of Hericium:

Slant of Hericium that started fruiting in the fridge:

Jars with inoculated grains or wood can easily be stored in the fridge and remain good and viable for months on end. This fungus really seems to be doing well with (recovering from) cold dormancy. To make a spore print an adult specimen sporulating (you will notice a whiteish hue on things the spores land on) is placed on some tin foil, covered and left for a couple of hours. Remove shroom, fold tinfoil and voila.

5. Grain spawn
  • Not picky and strong
  • WBS or rye are success

I’ve had success with both rye and WBS. Both were prepared like standard grainspawn. Inoculation is possible with agar wedges, G2G and LC’s. Colonization is quite quick and a bit colder temps (18 Celsius) seem no problem. This might however differ for other non Corraloides Hericium. Mycelium can at first barely be visible while already having grown through the complete substrate. With maturation the mycelium thickens and becomes much more visible. Small fruits can form in the jars, even when they don’t seem fully colonized. Start using the jars when all the spawn is visibly colonized. When small fruits are present I just break those up together with the mycelium. They should be sterile and form no issues. Fishing them out might increase the chances of contams.

2 fully consolidated jars of rye (ignore LC):

Got this jar out of the fridge today. Some yellow metabolite spots, but 100% sure that if I’d bulk it it would do just fine 😊 :

6. Bulk substrates
  • Woodchips all the way
  • Mixed particle sizes found to work well

Hericium is a definite wood lover. I’ve had success with chips of both Pseudo acacia/robinia and beech. When preparing the wood I always try to make a substrate that has different particle sizes. Beech chips of different sizes (petshop) are simmered for a couple for hours to achieve full hydration (check by breaking chips) and strained to field capacity after. This mix of chips is then supplemented with beech sawdust, in a way that the vermiculite is covered with BRF in PF-tek. Keep adding water to maintain field capacity.  An example recipe would be:
2 cups large chips –
2 cups medium chips –
2 cups small chips –
2 cups sawdust.
½ cup of gypsum could also be added.

This mixture contains only wood as substrate, and is therefore not very sensitive to contams. It can be pasteurized instead of sterilized if one prefers so.
A more nutritious substrate that might result in somewhat bigger yields would be achieved by adding wheat bran or soy husks.The latter I’ve never tried. A recipe I found to work fine:
3 cups large chips –
3 cups medium chips –
3 cups fine chips –
1 cup sawdust –
2 cups wheat bran or soy husks.

Again gypsum is optional. I always aim for 20% of wheat bran. Add the wheat bran together with the sawdust while again maintaining field capacity. Since this sub is more nutritious and prone to contams it does need to be sterilized for 90 min at 15 psi.
Bulk substrates for hericium are best kept/made with a pH ranging from 5.0 to 6.5
Hydrated chips and sawdust+bran before mixing:

After mixing and spraying with water to get field capacity:

Although it should really be avoided, I found this mushroom is still able to fruit while the substrate is contaminated. However: this is only the case when the contam settles after full colonization of the substrate (i.e. 2nd flush)

7. Growing in bags
  • Very easy, clean and simple
  • Use above mentioned substrate
  • Lot of plastic waste :frown:

Growing Hericium in bags works well. The bags should be filled with before mentioned bulk subs, and can be inoculated with grain spawn or straight with LC. I found bags with the wheat bran recipe that were sterilized to perform best overall.  Colonization of bags can (dependent on the amount of spawn used) be extremely quick.
Whenever is see some solid spots of mycelium I thoroughly mix it within the bag. I found that doing this results in an more even colonization. Not doing this can often results in fruiting within the bag although the mycelium is far from consolidation throughout the whole bag. This mixing is normally 4 or 5 days after inoculation. I found that fully consolidated bags result in the nicest flushes with dense fruits. Fruiting while the mycelium is still colonizing is definitely possible though. It will just keep on growing during the following flushes. 

Right after inoculation with grainspawn:

Fruiting it self can be instigated in different ways. My personal favorite is to get a much consolidation as possible, and as soon that you see small fruits forming on top to fold the bag over tight, and make some incisions (2 or 3) on the sides. Folding the bag over tight will stop the fruiting at the top of the sub, and the incisions form the new sites of fruiting. This method results in the densest fruits, almost as if they are being pushed out under great pressure.  Example:

Another way of fruiting is just to cut small holes at the sites the fruiting is already starting to happen in the bag. This ensures successful pinning, but the fruits are often less dense and packed than when using the first method. Example:

Lastly one can also decide to just completely cut off the top of the bag and use the whole upper part of the sub for pinning. Also works, but again, looser and lighter fruits. Example:

8. Growing in jars
  • Easy, cheap and green
  • Kind of a bitch to clean
  • Use the above mentioned substrate

Although bags do fine, I kinda hate all the wasted plastic, and they are not for free. I found however that if one stuffs a normal 500 ml jar with filterlid full with wood bulk substrate (fill it up completely, we’re not going to shake and leaving empty space will reduce success), sterilizes it and inoculates it with LC the mushroom can be fruited straight from the jar. Just wait till full colonization, open the jars, and place them in your fruiting area, simple as that. Easy and highly effective IMO. These jars can after colonization also easily be stored in the fridge to fruit at a later point. I’ve had them doing fine after more than 2 months of dormancy.

9. Dowels and growing on logs
  • Grow Hericium on logs outdoors
  • Maple, beech, oak, elm and other hardwoods

I've managed to make dowels of Hericium. Simple wooden dowels from the hardware store where soaked for 24 hours, and strained. These where then sterilized in jars. I've tried both adding grain spawn and LC to the dowels to inoculate, and found that both work fine. inoculation took about 2 weeks, and the dowels where kept in the fridge until I inoculated this fresh beech log/branch and fresh birch log earlier this spring.
Picture of some dowels, that started fruiting in the jar already:

These dowels were still used even after the fruiting. Seems to be no issue.
Both logs where integrated in my new wine cap outdoor bed. Beech on the left and birch at the top:

I honestly have no clue about the successfulness of Hericium on logs outdoors, but was up for a small experiment.
Found later: Hericium does fine in outdoor logs and treestumps inoculated with dowels. Good wood types are maple, beech, oak, elm and other hardwoods. Performs less on “paperbark” trees such a birch.
Result this fall, after one summer:

10. Growing other ways

More of a “left-over” experiment, it might be of use for some ppl. Used a monotub outside of normal fruiting chamber. I did not care for it much. Fruits are a bit brownish and small though. I suspect the humidity is not high enough. Tuning such a set up might harvest better results.

I'm sure those buckets used for oysters will do just fine btw.

11. Fruiting conditions
  • Maintain high FAE and low CO2
  • >80% humidity

This mushroom likes high humidity and FAE. I use a greenhouse for fruiting where I keep the RH at 80% to 90% while constantly having a fan on for FAE. Small holes and openings in the greenhouse provide enough fresh air to be exchanged.

Paul Stamets gives the following parameters in his book Growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms:

Spawn run:
Temperature: 21-24 celcius
Relative humidity: 90-100%
Primordia formation:
Temp: 18 – 24 celcius
Rel. Hum: 95 – 100%
FAE: 5 – 8 x/h
CO2: 500 – 700 ppm
Light: 500 – 1000 lux
Fruitbody development:
Temp: 18 – 24 celcius
Rel. Hum: 85 – 95%
FAE: 5 – 8 x /h
CO2: 500 – 1000 ppm
Light: 500 – 1000 lux
Duration: 4-5 days

I found that temperature is no big issue. As long as it is above 15 celcius fruiting will happen without any issue. Heating is in my opinion not necessary what so ever.
I use 6500K bulb in my greenhouse for lighting. Not sure how essential, but I’ve used this from the start and never thought of trying something else.
As long as there is enough FAE to keep CO2 levels low while maintaining high humidity you should be fine.The fruit can handle a drop in humidity for a short while, before turning pinkish to yellow-brown.
Too little fresh air/too much CO2 will result in small lumpy fruits.
I’ve heard it is recommended to lower the humidity (to ~80%) for about 12 hours before fruiting, to increase the shelf life of the fresh shrooms.

Sorry for the long read, hope it was somewhat useful!
I would love to hear about more experiences or see your nice grow pics!

Cheers!
-Wii

Edited by Wrightii (08/09/23 06:58 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleQM33
(NOT A PUPPET!) ❤❤❤❤❤

Loc: Oregon
Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: Wrightii]
    #27286258 - 04/29/21 08:04 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Cheers on your grows and thanks for the shout out!.

I really wish you had a co2 meter. I've never grown comb tooth.
And did you mean lower humidity to 60 before harvest?

So your growing in a tent? How big? His much fresh air are you giving it?
Monos and sgfc would work but need alot of compensation for FAE and Humiditu, misting  and fanning. Ideally you would have your tent set up to flux appropriately.  But with that said you could put a grocery bag over your block and treat it like a tub. All ot is is a microclimate.

Also,I've heard that all the medicinal studies are being done with herocium erinacius, so not to say that the relatives done contain similar medicinal properties, they probably do, but they are far much less researched.

Love the write up tho, even tho some of the teks aren't going to perform ideally, it shows there's more than one way to skin a cat.
And I like the full process tutorial aspect of it.
Might as well throw a recipe in there haha!
Cheers brotha!

--------------------
OmManiPadmeHum,OmManiPadmeHum, OmManiPadMeHum...
There are known knowns, there are known unknowns,
          there are also unknown unknowns.
With great privilege comes great responsibility.

Quantom Qups PROOF AND Soft Drops
Turn your Swab to a Syringe and Syringe to Multiple Syringes!
No Pours (QuantomStyal)
Magic Fruit Leather
DMT for IandI

Invisibleseldom seen
April Fool
Male User Gallery

#27286265 - 04/29/21 08:08 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

This is awesome, thank you.

--------------------

InvisibleWrightii
Stranger Danger

Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: QM33]
    #27286498 - 04/29/21 11:36 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

This is my current set up, which I build kinda recently with growing panaeolus in mind:

Humidifier on the fridge blows mist in at the top of the tent. 2 fans blow the air sideways and downward. At the top of the tent at the left panel I've punctured 20 or so small holes. Same for the down left pannel. With CO2 being heavy and the fans blowing down thus creating positive pressure at the bottom and negative pressure at the top this should lead to enough fresh air intake and no stagnent air while maintaining high humidity. Thats my plan/hope at least.

For oysters and hericium this is quite overkill though. I always used to work with a similair tent but 3 times as wide. In the middle of the tent was the ultrasonic humidifier blowing constantly at low capacity and a bathroom fan blowing horizontally at on/off intervalls of 15 mins. The tarp of this tent left about a cm of "open" at the bottom, giving the heavy CO2 an easy way to escape. This setup kept the humidity at around 80-85% while facilitating a lot of (fresh) air movement.

As long as you manage to keep CO2 low, fresh air high and humidity high any set up should do fine.
What do you use to fruit them?

--------------------
The Official Hericium Thread

OfflineTheMagicConch
MC
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over here
Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: seldom seen]
    #27286561 - 04/29/21 12:32 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

This is great to see. I'm about to start giving more gourmet mushrooms a shot at cultivation so I'll definitely contribute to this when the time comes

OfflineTheMagicConch
MC
Male User Gallery

Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: TheMagicConch]
    #27286573 - 04/29/21 12:44 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

So is your idea for this thread to be kind of like the active woodlovers thread? Just sort of a place for people to document what they've done and show their progress etc for others to take from?

InvisibleWrightii
Stranger Danger

Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: TheMagicConch] * 1
    #27286582 - 04/29/21 12:52 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Yes that exactly what I have in mind! :smile:
The gourmet part of shroomery could be much more active if you'd ask me, maybe threads like this can contribute. I could also imagine threads happen for other species of edibles:thumbup:
Maybe a cultivation picture of the day thread would also be nice! So many beautifull gourmets out there

--------------------

Edited by Wrightii (04/29/21 01:06 PM)

OfflineTheMagicConch
MC
Male User Gallery

#27286658 - 04/29/21 02:09 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah for sure. Well I'm hella excited to get some lions mane going, now just to find a culture around here...

InvisibleQM33
(NOT A PUPPET!) ❤❤❤❤❤

Loc: Oregon
Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: TheMagicConch]
    #27286681 - 04/29/21 02:24 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Wait so are your fans actually pushing air in? Or pushing air that's already in it?
Those holes won't be enough intake. You either in a legit intake or exaust.

And the c02 will only settle if completely stagnant I'm pretty sure, otherwiseits a gas and will mix readily with what's around it, given you have no pockets that aren't aloud to circulate.
Are you only growing those? Oysters can give a good indication of c02 levels if you dont have a gauge, they get fuzzy feet. Chestnuts and pippins also give signs that are pretty easy to distinguish

--------------------
OmManiPadmeHum,OmManiPadmeHum, OmManiPadMeHum...
There are known knowns, there are known unknowns,
          there are also unknown unknowns.
With great privilege comes great responsibility.

Quantom Qups PROOF AND Soft Drops
Turn your Swab to a Syringe and Syringe to Multiple Syringes!
No Pours (QuantomStyal)
Magic Fruit Leather
DMT for IandI

Edited by QM33 (04/29/21 02:25 PM)

Offlinetrubblesome
Stranger
Female

Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: TheMagicConch] * 1
    #27286685 - 04/29/21 02:30 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

howdy!

I just woke up my lion's mane culture again.

cloned from a commercial fruit, printed the clone, grew out the spores, selected my favorite/best fruiting fruit from my setup. now this is my culture. I fruit it in my outdoor tent when the forecast looks right.

I had to go through a bit of an ordeal to get mycelium to clone from, which included generating spawn on cardboard in a shoebox, and eventually forcing fruiting in there to produce a fruit to pull clean tissue from.

this is what happens to erinaceus in a tub/high CO2 environment. I wonder what corralloides would end up looking like!!

--------------------

InvisibleWrightii
Stranger Danger

Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: QM33]
    #27286704 - 04/29/21 02:42 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

ah alright. Yeah i have not done any grows in the new set up so still dialling it all in.
Maybe I'll go for an exhaust fan at the bottom then. And more holes at the top. Thanks for the tips!

--------------------

Offlinetaku
° shapeshifter ∆
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #27287281 - 04/29/21 10:57 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Here's my current block growing out.  I love watching lion's mane grow.  It's a really beautiful mushroom - really calm in appearance.

Anyway, this is from a strain procured from a local seller, but who may have grown out a strain from Mossy Creek, I can't remember atm.

--------------------

Offlinetaku
° shapeshifter ∆
 User Gallery

Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: taku] * 2
    #27288361 - 04/30/21 09:10 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Love this one for how much character this particular mushroom had.

--------------------

Offlinetrippleblack
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: taku] * 1
    #27289047 - 05/01/21 11:08 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

one of my faves.. cooked with vegan butter and garlic, salt pepper, man this taste like lobster.  one interesting thing i noticed, now I use a high nutrient substrate; that cured issues of pinning early in bags before fruiting conditions -for me.

OfflineDezGWest7
JacQ

Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: trippleblack]
    #27289298 - 05/01/21 02:40 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

hi guys - here's the scoop. I got this kit on etsy, i put it into fruiting conditions (shoe box for the first 2 weeks then switched to( 1 plastic bag(clear) 1 zip lock) both with holes. The process was started April 6. I'm being super patient since its my first with this, but I wonder, based on what you see here, how long till harvest ? It has been growing at its on pace, even over the past week+ when I switched to the 2 plastic hole filled bags. Pic was taken today. Soon as I can harvest I plan on a biopsy into liquid culture, then making my own. I have all materials locked and loaded, waiting for harvest day

Offlinetaku
° shapeshifter ∆
 User Gallery

Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: DezGWest7]
    #27290124 - 05/02/21 08:39 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

hard to say how long without really knowing the conditions.  from pinning, it would take about 1week to be ready to harvest in my RH controlled FC.

--------------------

Invisibleninja cat 09
A paranoid android
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mexico Flag
Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: taku]
    #27292103 - 05/03/21 01:51 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I put some lions mane spores I was sent 11 years ago on agar yesterday :lol: hopefully something useful grows from them, it's my first time inoculating agar with anything, so it might just be a total flop! Either way I'm having fun.

Any recommended teks for a GH? I don't have one set up and I didn't see one in the stickies (Other than the automated one by Gr0wer, which is a little too complex for my liking).

--------------------
             :crazykitty:

Offlinetaku
° shapeshifter ∆
 User Gallery

Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: ninja cat 09]
    #27292279 - 05/03/21 03:24 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

If you want something basic you could do a shotgun fruiting chamber (sgfc). Search it up on the forums.

I'm not completely familiar with gr0wers, but I do a basic automated grow tent from vivosun (32x32x62). Could check that setup out here

--------------------

Invisibleninja cat 09
A paranoid android
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mexico Flag
Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: taku]
    #27292318 - 05/03/21 03:44 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks! Yeah, I've made SGFC before, and I understand the basic ideas around a martha/greenhouse, I'm just somewhat unclear on how I should handle the humidifier and fans so that humidity is distributed evenly, I'll probably look at a few teks before heading over to home depot and seeing what I can put together.

--------------------
             :crazykitty:

InvisibleWrightii
Stranger Danger

Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: ninja cat 09]
    #27293654 - 05/04/21 09:57 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Great to see people are enthausiastic about getting a Hericium thread going!
Ill try to update the post with new information regurarly and will keep on the search for nice links to other threads to add.

If you happen to know any nice links to threads that would help making the source of info more complete (this can also be hunting, cooking or whatever related as long as its Hericium I'd say), please feel absolutely free to post them here and I'll add them to the OP. 

Hopefully we can make the original post helpfull and info dense by linking to and or discribing all that is possible and has been tried :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom