Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Dehydrator, Delicious Bacon

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Loc: Flag
Kansas, Missouri morel season looks to be good in 2021
    #27286267 - 04/29/21 10:09 AM (8 days, 4 hours ago)

Mushroom King: Kansas, Missouri morel season looks to be good in 2021
Topeka Capital-Journal - April 28, 2021

The 2021 morel mushroom season is looking to be a good one, according to one of the Midwest's foremost fungus experts.

St. Joseph, Mo., resident Thomas Weipert, better known as "The Mushroom King," says this year's crop in Kansas and Missouri is coming in later than it has in past years, and that the mushrooms should benefit from the weather we've had so far this spring.

“This year, by my research, is pretty close to a normal mushroom season,” Weipert said of the later start. “The past 10 years we’ve actually gotten earlier and earlier and earlier. We would be almost done with morel season in my neck of the woods. It’s a really on-spot season as far as morels go.”

Weipert said he thought the peak of the morel hunting season in Kansas and Missouri probably began this week and will continue through next week.

“This year will be a really good year because we’ve gotten moisture that we haven’t had in the past,” Weipert said.

The morel season appeared to be off to a fine start a couple weeks ago when a sudden freeze covered Kansas and much of the Midwest in several inches of snow.

He said you might have a few mushrooms that get a little “frost bite” on them, but normally the freeze actually helps the mushroom growth and can even lead to bumper crops thanks to the introduction of nutrients in the soil.

“You know, freezes — depending on the severity of the freeze and how far along we are in the season — sometimes it may play a little factor on some of the mushrooms that are already up,” Weipert said. “Generally, the snow actually insulates the ground and makes the ground warmer. You wouldn’t think that, but since the ground was already 55, 56 degrees when the snow hit, it never froze the ground. The ground actually heats up and put a little more nitrogen on the morels. It should be a pretty good season."

In that way, a good freeze is much more preferable to mass flooding, such as what the Midwest saw in 2019.

“Some of the flooded areas are doing all right,” Weipert said. “When floods happen, if you’re in the zone where it’s silted in and things like that, it’s often hard to find mushrooms that tall a year after the flood. So the 2019 flooded areas, some of them are really doing pretty good now because it’s been a couple years and the mycelium’s had a chance to grow back up through.”

Hunting for mushrooms in the Midwest

The Mushroom King has made a name for himself as someone who is able to find literal truckloads of mushrooms, seemingly anywhere he goes.

Weipert, who told The Topeka Capital-Journal in 2019 that he began picking morels with his father before he was even big enough to tie his own shoes, has turned the hobby into a lifestyle, earning the "Mushroom King" moniker from his peers in high school.

He has lived up to that name, traveling roughly 50,000 miles each year chasing various types of mushrooms year-round across the United States, beginning with morels in the early spring.

“Generally, when we hunt morels, we look for the redwoods to be bloomed and the lilac bushes also to be blooming,” Weipert said. “Mayapples are another precursor. When mayapples are up and usually have their flowers on them, it’s warm enough to hunt morels.

“There are several — some of them are wives' tales or whatever — but just a lot of things you go by, like oak leaves the size of a squirrel’s ear. Dandelions — not by the sidewalks, but in the middle of your yard.”

Weipert says he collects thousands of pounds of mushrooms per year, including not only morels but also chanterelles, black trumpets, oysters, Hen of the Woods, lobster and hericium varieties.

Safety is also an important issue when mushroom hunting, and Weipert recommends wearing protective clothing to shield yourself from thorns and needles — particularly after a recent trip to the hospital.

“Well, I was out mushroom hunting, and I’m not sure if it was a locust tree thorn or a cedar tree, but I got hit — and it might be several times,” Weipert said. “I wear protective gear now, I didn’t use to wear long-sleeved shirts and things like that. The older you get, the more you get scratched up. ... I was just out by the river looking to get some mushrooms and I know a tree hit me. It punctured and broke off a piece of stick.”

He said a couple days later he developed what felt like a boil on his cheek. He lanced it and got the stick out, but soon his face swelled up. He went to his dentist, who told him to go to critical care because it looked like it could be a staph infection. He was then recommended to the emergency room and put on antibiotics.

Tips for cooking mushrooms

Weipert is also an experienced chef and loves to share his knowledge of cooking mushrooms with everyone he can.

Of course, just about everybody loves eating fried morels, but there are multiple ways to cook the earthy morsels.

“Frying is one way,” Weipert said. “I like to grill them. I like to take the charcoal grill outside and toss five fat morels in olive oil, salt and pepper, onion powder and garlic powder and then cook them like a steak on the grill and then throw them on top of the steak and eat them that way.

He said another good way to use them is to cook them in butter and then throw them on a pizza when it’s almost done cooking.

And there are plenty of other recipes that can utilize the tasty fungi, as well.

“I stuff them, fill them full of crab meat, cream cheese and bacon or whatever, sausage and cheese,” Weipert said. “Or you can cut them up, sauté them in butter and then make a cream and make fettuccini morel alfredo out of them. Frying is just one way.”

He also dehydrates the extras he collects and sells them to be used as ingredients, or uses them in his Cream of Morel Mushroom Soup Mix.

But you don’t become the Mushroom King by only chasing morels, and he has become famous for trekking across the country searching for a wide variety of mushrooms.

Some of his favorites include chanterelles, blewits, Hen of the Woods and candy caps — a type of mushroom that grows in California and tastes like maple syrup.

If you're a fan of mushrooms, it doesn't get much better than that.

Another of his great recipes is his all-purpose breading, made of crushed up mushrooms, which works great as a breading for fish, but also works on anything from scallops to shrimp to hamburgers.

"I experimented with my basic seasoned flour mixture and discovered it actually sweetened the flavor of the fish," Weipert told The Capital-Journal in 2019. "It browns to a lovely caramelized finish and has a real staying power on fish of any kind. No doubt it is the perfect morel flavor that compliments the item being breaded."

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleredeyesmjS
werdo
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle of kansas
Re: Kansas, Missouri morel season looks to be good in 2021 [Re: veggie] * 1
    #27286617 - 04/29/21 03:29 PM (7 days, 23 hours ago)

Haven't found any in my regular spot....but after the rains last night and warmth today I'm thinking I will try hunting tonight a bit...hopefully I can find more than a poison ivy rash

--------------------
Where am I at?

[/url]
In a free society, the presumption must be that people can smoke, snort, eat or inject whatever they wish, so long as they do not harm others. The burden of proof should rest on those who would ban marijuana, not those who want it legal. That burden has never been met.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Re: Kansas, Missouri morel season looks to be good in 2021 [Re: redeyesmj] * 1
    #27286712 - 04/29/21 04:46 PM (7 days, 21 hours ago)

Going to missouri tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed find anything

--------------------
Everything you need in one spot.

My Q&A thread. Ask me questions here rather than in Private Message
Bod's chat thread
Buy Bod a beer:
BTC: 1G7roCpYmNp4VqnKySQeBkaFTc7JMzKLpL
ETH: 0x2091cE981af8129986C50AC0818e1aCA76076768
DOGE: DQNyGtUNHwYUrGECag1VRmMcf6QVeTY4V1

InvisibleveggieM

Loc: Flag
Re: Kansas, Missouri morel season looks to be good in 2021 [Re: bodhisatta]
    #27286779 - 04/29/21 05:44 PM (7 days, 20 hours ago)

Good luck guys, happy hunting!

I'll be out hunting myself. Where I am is nowhere near as prolific as the midwest. They are much more elusive here, so more rewarding to find. But all the signs are here; weeks since the last frost, oaks have new leaves, skunk cabbage and mayapples are plentiful, and it's been a rainy month. I usually find them near tulip populars, which are easy to spot. Plus it's great to get out in the woods for a walk.

In the past, after not finding anything after hunting for hours, I would go sit on a log, head down, feeling dejected, wishing I would have found something. Then I look up and see morels all around, where there was nothing before. Morels, I find, are very sneaky and playful like that.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Dehydrator, Delicious Bacon

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service