Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinetomcards
Male

Loc: San Francisco
Clear Shoe Boxes * 1
    #27282771 - 04/26/21 02:17 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Guys,

I’m happy with my 32 quart monotub, but I’ve been wanting to try 6 quart shoe boxes because they’re so damn cute.  But I resisted because they all seemed to come with opaque lids.  Opaque lids block one’s view of the substrate and block overhead light, encouraging the fruit to grow sideways. And I didn’t want to dub-tub unless I had to.

So I’m pleased to report that I found and bought clear, 6 quart shoe boxes! 

https://www.staples.com/iris-6-qt-snap-lid-storage-box-clear-200401/product_24460946?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=24460946&KPID=24460946&cid=PS:CRL:GS:SBD:PLA:OS&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpe6qsdSc8AIVoyGtBh3a8gqcEAQYAiABEgK3GPD_BwE

Six packs are available at Amazon. 

The lid snaps tight and the boxes are stackable.  Removing the lid and replacing it back on unlatched appears to permit a bit of GE.  Flipping the lid will definitely allow GE.

I have jars of rye colonizing and the spawn should be ready for the shoe boxes by this weekend.  I look forward to trying them for the first time.  I’ll  post a photo.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAshtray161
SettledNomad
Other

Loc: Rugby, England
Re: Clear Shoe Boxes [Re: tomcards] * 2
    #27282880 - 04/26/21 03:56 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

coolio. Im using shoeboxes w opaque lids. Idk if the fruits will end up sideways but ill let ya know lol

--------------------
(You Know What Time It Is)
Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27677086:elmo:
"You never have to prove the fool a fool, just let them speak."
Please, be an adult. Get vaccinated. Dont use psychedelics as an excuse. Dont come at me with some hippy dippy nonsense, GO GET VACCINATED.
Be Gay, Do Crime 161 1312

Offlinenormalperson
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Clear Shoe Box [Re: Ashtray161] * 2
    #27283402 - 04/27/21 03:20 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Wow,$6 each. I quit using big tubs and only use shoeboxes now. Lid color has no affect on yield. If I want to check the surface conditions I just remove the lid oh yeah, the boxes only cost$1.

InvisibleGoatrider
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Clear Shoe Box [Re: normalperson]
    #27283409 - 04/27/21 04:01 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

By the way you don`t need to flip the lid or something.
Real shoeboxes have venting gaps, providing passive air flow more than enough.
Just later on you may unlatch, if some bonkers want to grow tall.
They`ll push the lid up then.

Sometimes i do small boxes with coloured lids, and never had issues.
Just look for a pretty well hydrated top layer, and you won`t hassle with side pins.
On the other hand, my biggest one grew from a side :biggrin:

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

Offlinehec
Stranger

Loc: St. Helena Flag
Re: Clear Shoe Box [Re: Goatrider]
    #27283557 - 04/27/21 07:30 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

ive had success with the opaque lid ones, i just use a garbage bag as a liner for the tub and have never had a fruit grow sideways

Offlinetomcards
Male

Re: Clear Shoe Box [Re: hec]
    #27283967 - 04/27/21 02:23 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for your input, guys.

InvisibleGoatrider
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Clear Shoe Box [Re: hec]
    #27283981 - 04/27/21 02:35 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hec said:
ive had success with the opaque lid ones, i just use a garbage bag as a liner for the tub and have never had a fruit grow sideways

+1 for the liner, as it moves and shrinks with the substrate, and for fast cleanup.
But i want to mention the importancy of mixing the substrate well,
with slighty compressing the corners and sides, to prevent air gaps there from the start.
This and proper surface conditions and you won`t see much sidepins.

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

Offlinetomcards
Male

Re: Clear Shoe Box [Re: Goatrider] * 1
    #27292058 - 05/03/21 01:30 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Upon closer examination, when the lids are latched there is still a small gap all the way around the lid/shoebox junction, allowing for GE.  The gap is even more pronounced when the lid is unlatched.

Surprisingly, there is no gap when the lid is flipped, so I won't flip the lid.  The plan now is to begin with the lid latched for GE, then unlatch it for FAE when pins develop.

My jars are currently at 95% colonization. The spawn should be ready for the shoebox and substrate in a few days.

Offlinenonamekevin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Clear Shoe Box [Re: tomcards]
    #27292873 - 05/03/21 08:07 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

tomcards said:
Upon closer examination, when the lids are latched there is still a small gap all the way around the lid/shoebox junction, allowing for GE.  The gap is even more pronounced when the lid is unlatched.

Surprisingly, there is no gap when the lid is flipped, so I won't flip the lid.  The plan now is to begin with the lid latched for GE, then unlatch it for FAE when pins develop.

My jars are currently at 95% colonization. The spawn should be ready for the shoebox and substrate in a few days.

I recently did two shoes with popcorn grain and coir sub. One I left the lid on to allow the sub to colonize, the other I flipped the lid immediately after spawning. The one where I flipped the lid did slightly worse than the other one.

Next shoes I run, I'm putting the lid on and not touching them until I see caps hitting the lids.

OfflineHindsight
Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Clear Shoe Box [Re: nonamekevin]
    #27293393 - 05/04/21 05:51 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

I have clear lids. As far as my experience goes, side and bottom pins for me has been about genetics alone. I’ve run a lot of boxes now and note that some genetics just pin weird. I recently had a tub that was just nuts about bottom pinning. Seriously thick pin set. Keep in mind, my tubs and grow conditions are consistent across many tubs and many grows for months yet this one set of tubs, and the specific genetics in them, just acted differently. The pinning was so pronounced that I just grabbed the substrate, rotated it 90 degrees so it was on its side, then dub-tubbed it and allowed the fruits to grow out of five sides of the substrate. And they did, thickly!  Produced an amazing amount for a shoebox.

Offlinetomcards
Male

Re: Clear Shoe Box [Re: Hindsight]
    #27317697 - 05/21/21 03:24 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

Today I mixed the spawn with CV and loaded the shoeboxes.  There's a 6500K CFL 10 inches above them.  I'm eager to see what transpires.

Offlinetomcards
Male

Re: Clear Shoe Box [Re: tomcards]
    #27326808 - 05/28/21 02:20 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

About 24 hours after filling the shoeboxes, I noticed that the substrate had, naturally, pushed out the walls of the shoeboxes.  That nearly closed the gap between the boxes and lids that was present when the boxes were empty.  There was GE, but not much.  So, I unlatched the lids and laid them on top of the boxes.

The spawn has been in the shoeboxes for a week. It's like a sauna inside.  There's ample GE around all of the edges, as evidenced by the evaporation.  Thanks to the clear lids, I can see that mycelium is covering about 60% of the top of the substrate.  Tiny diamonds of beads cover the substrate.

So far, so good.

Invisiblestubb
Dahg Rastubfari
 User Gallery

Loc: Memory Flag
Re: Clear Shoe Boxes [Re: tomcards]
    #27326982 - 05/28/21 05:23 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Good find.  A little pricey for my cheap ass but those look nice :thumbup:

Quote:

tomcards said:
But I resisted because they all seemed to come with opaque lids.  Opaque lids block one’s view of the substrate and block overhead light, encouraging the fruit to grow sideways.

But I wouldn't worry about the common white lids too much.  They're translucent not opaque, they diffuse light more so than block it. 
They definitely block your top view though. :stoned:

--------------------
:mushroomgrow:
🆃🄴🅰🄼  🅲🄻🅸🄽🅶🅆🆁🄰🅿

You wake up. The room is spinning very gently round your head. Or at least it would be if you could see it which you can't.
It is pitch black.

> TURN ON LIGHT

Offlinetomcards
Male

Re: Clear Shoe Boxes [Re: stubb]
    #27340541 - 06/08/21 05:44 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

I harvested a few fruit before I remembered to take a photo.  Here is Ban Phan Ka in my clear shoebox. 

Offlineenigmatrip
Trippiest Maxximus
Male

Loc: Cube City
Re: Clear Shoe Boxes [Re: tomcards]
    #28408591 - 07/25/23 10:14 PM (7 months, 29 days ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom