Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePir8
Captain
New member here, found something interesting today
    #2728284 - 05/25/04 05:13 PM (13 years, 12 hours ago)

First I want to say hello to everyone. I have been on here a short while now doing a lot of reading. I have been getting my supplies ready the past few days to begin growing and I came across something interesting. Yesterday I was tearing open one of my bags of manure and the top layer was covered in Mushrooms. The manure is unpasturized and is from Stoney Point, NC. I am in South Carolina. Right now I do not have a camera but maybe one of you can still help me identify these. Gills- when fresh, the gills were white to tan some darker. After drying they darkened up to dark brown to black. The part of the gills that are raised (thin as a hair) are white while in between it is very dark. Cap- the cap has a small brown dot at the top. The fresh ones were light in color, some even white then when dried they darkened up to brown at the top down to a grayish color at the base of the cap. You can clearly see the outlines of the gills on the outside of the cap, fresh or dried. The cap curls slightly in at the base (most likely due to picking before them being mature?)and is bell shaped. The first set I picked left a very dark spore print, dark purple to black. The ones I picked last night left no prints. They ranged from 1/4 inch to 4 inches tall when fresh and the caps were no larger than 3/4 inch. The caps bruised easily (blue or light black) when handled. The stems are the same. I cut the stems on the ones last night & they turned brown at the location where I  cut them. I cut the stems open after they dried and they are hollow and white as ghosts. They smell exactly like other active mushrooms I have come across in the past. Kinda earthy....What do you think?  :thumbup: or  :thumbdown:
Thanks for all your help.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: New member here, found something interesting today [Re: Pir8]
    #2728782 - 05/25/04 06:44 PM (13 years, 10 hours ago)

welcome :smile:

First of all, I think it's pretty safe to say you don't have a psilocybe based on where you found them, fruiting like that seems more typical of the "weedier" species of Coprinus or Panaeolus, my first guess would be Coprinus...  There's no mistaking blue bruising of psilocybes for black or purple spores for black (if you aren't colorblind :P ), so make sure you're not seeing what you want to see rather than what's really there...  The caps of some Coprinus species will melt (deliquesce) into a black liquid as they mature.

DH

Edited by DH (05/25/04 06:50 PM)

OfflinePir8
Captain
OK, I got a camera so I am going to try & post a pic [Re: spores]
    #2729222 - 05/25/04 08:49 PM (13 years, 8 hours ago)

here goes

InvisibleJopo
Super RocketMr.MagicMushroom Man
Loc: Canada
Re: OK, I got a camera so I am going to try & post a pic [Re: Pir8]
    #2729629 - 05/25/04 10:15 PM (13 years, 7 hours ago)

haha, what a surprise, you must have been thinking "wow they really do grow quick, i havn't even done anything yet" hehe!

--------------------
Holy crip hes a crapple.

Offlineatsncpm
#1 Stunner

Loc: Southeast USA
Re: OK, I got a camera so I am going to try & post a pic [Re: Pir8]
    #2729845 - 05/25/04 11:05 PM (13 years, 6 hours ago)

that is really cool!

--------------------
XOXO,
Alison

"Just in case you never noticed, the path you never chose has chosen you." -Jason Mraz

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification