Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 708 | 709 | 710 | 711 | 712 | 713 | 714 | 715 | 716 | 717 | 718 | 719 | 720 | 721 | 722 | 723 | 724 | 725 | 726 | 727 | 728 | Next > | Last >
Offlineicpurple
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Making shoeboxes [Re: Ras_Irie]
    #27275188 - 03/30/21 12:34 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ras_Irie said:
So did more boxes and put bulk substrate strait to box again and have lots of side pins, cant get good FAE, loosing moisture quick and have to much of co2, some mushrooms cottony as hell... Olso have 66qt monotub wich looks moist and knoting a lot, waiting for pins to start forming. It seams that for me it more easy to make monotub, cant manage good continion in shoebox. I spray and mist when I can but result are pore, getting substrate to drie if I try to decrease evaporation then there is not inaf air exchange. Will see how the monotub will perfore with froots, but I just fill a mono and she is doing its fink. So maby I stick to monos, becose shoebox for me is a chaose :laugh:

So, one thing at a time.  You say lots of side pins.  That means leave it the f&ck alone and let it fruit. IMO.  If the lid is offset and there is a light source close by, primordia will form on top and pins will follow.

After you've left them alone for at least 4 days, tell me about the contradictory statements "can't get good FAE" and "loosing moisture quick".

Edited by icpurple (03/30/21 01:09 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRas_Irie
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Baltics
Re: Making shoeboxes [Re: icpurple]
    #27275214 - 03/30/21 01:28 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

I was keeping shoebox closed for colonization, and after 80% colonization I cased it whit 50/50 coir, verm. Primordia started forming on sides, I do not use artificial light, and I have a lot on sides olso a lot on top. My enviroment in the house is 30% moysture , and boxes feels lighter then they where at begining. All I changed is take of the lid flip it and put it on box to start FAE, so there is some gaps then lid is fliped, but still bet fuzzy feat. My mush grow is little slow I think, cant it be a moisture? Its bean 5 days from pins and they are about 1" . Leaving boxes for 24h I get dry wall on then.

Edited by Ras_Irie (03/30/21 01:30 AM)

Offlinekidcharlemagne
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Making shoeboxes [Re: mushboy]
    #27275329 - 03/30/21 06:06 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Hey guys, this is a B+ MS grow.  I harvested first flush about 2 days ago and dunked (really floated then dunked for a few seconds) for about an 1.5 hours, then I misted the top a bit more since it still looked dry.  All the pins that were there appear to be aborting, and the surface won't really bead and looks dull and lifeless.  What did I do wrong and what should i do from here?  Thanks!

OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Making shoeboxes [Re: kidcharlemagne]
    #27275333 - 03/30/21 06:13 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Just be patient, the mycelium will recover and should pin soon.

Edited by DERRAYLD (03/30/21 06:13 AM)

Offlinekidcharlemagne
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Making shoeboxes [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #27275372 - 03/30/21 06:55 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DERRAYLD said:
Just be patient, the mycelium will recover and should pin soon.

I'd heard that dunking doesn't typically cause existing g pins to abort,. What does the aborting say about how I handled this and what I could have done differently?  Thanks

OfflineCrackatoa
Stranger in a strange land
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Over by your Mama's house Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Making shoeboxes [Re: Ras_Irie]
    #27276067 - 03/30/21 05:28 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ras_Irie said:
I was keeping shoebox closed for colonization, and after 80% colonization I cased it whit 50/50 coir, verm. Primordia started forming on sides, I do not use artificial light, and I have a lot on sides olso a lot on top. My enviroment in the house is 30% moysture , and boxes feels lighter then they where at begining. All I changed is take of the lid flip it and put it on box to start FAE, so there is some gaps then lid is fliped, but still bet fuzzy feat. My mush grow is little slow I think, cant it be a moisture? Its bean 5 days from pins and they are about 1" . Leaving boxes for 24h I get dry wall on then.

Unless you're growing some PE the late top layer is hurting you.  I say top layer because coir and verm is NOT a casing, it's substrate. PE is the only one that needs a casing of Peat and Verm with lime for pH. You are creating more work as it has to go from alomst done back to the beginning. Mix spawn and sub, tamp down,  top layer and mist pretty heavy and snap lid till pinset comes in, and flip lid. Once you have a pinset, the pinset will help keep a microclimate at sub level. If you find a flipped or cracked lid gives you too much FAE you can use a bag over it with holes or dub tub and tape to fine tune. Are you tamping down substrate?

--------------------

Crack's Tek's and Shit

OfflineRas_Irie
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Baltics
Re: Making shoeboxes [Re: Crackatoa]
    #27276449 - 03/30/21 10:59 PM (2 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks its more clear to me now, I was tamping sub and spawn but not a lot. Im growing unknown cubes, but man they are strong... will not do "casing" from now. Olso I opend and flipped a lid before there were no primordia or pinset. Will try wait longer, olso I didnt mist top after mixing sub... Will try do better now!

Offlinekidcharlemagne
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27276715 - 03/31/21 06:24 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

What spawn to bulk ratio and quarts of spawn are you guys finding ideal these days?  I'd like to keep it to one quart per shoebox bc I want to fruit out a bunch of clones and still hunt for more with MS grows, so, in order to have a decent depth substrate I figure I need to go at least 1:3 (though ideally 1:5 for depth).  I'm thinking 1:4 but how has everyone done with that and what has been your colonization time with that ratio? Thanks.

InvisibleButtFace
Re: Making shoeboxes *DELETED* [Re: kidcharlemagne]
    #27356359 - 06/20/21 11:39 AM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by ButtFace

Reason for deletion:

InvisibleMr Piggy
Big Dick Retard
 User Gallery

Re: Making shoeboxes [Re: ButtFace]
    #27356689 - 06/20/21 04:15 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Not on this end, we've got a surplus in Oregon.  I've used lots of different brands with success, I like the Ikea ones that are taller than sterelite.

--------------------
🅃🄴🄰🄼 🄵🄾🄸🄻

Offlinegreenladel

#27358421 - 06/22/21 03:41 AM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ButtFace said:
Is anyone else having a hard time finding Sterlite 6 qt shoeboxes at their local stores? Is there a shortage? They had a different brand with a crappy lid but not the Sterlites.  I had to order some.

just use the cheap brand with the crappy lid. you do not want a tight fitting lid anyway. most boxes will be fine.
obviously you have ordered them now, but you will buy more eventually :smile:

InvisibleButtFace
Re: Making shoeboxes *DELETED* [Re: greenladel]
    #27358500 - 06/22/21 06:12 AM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by ButtFace

Reason for deletion:

Offlinegreenladel

#27361026 - 06/24/21 01:39 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ButtFace said:
Thanks, you two. I ended up getting Sterlite 1642xxxxx with the grey lids from Home Depot.

hope it all goes well. have fun

OfflineThreads2theSoul
Inquirer
Female User Gallery

#27363966 - 06/26/21 09:58 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

I’ve read through the first 36 pages so far. This is my first attempt at shoeboxes and I’m really excited this was suggested to me… they’re so much easier for me to handle than 66qrt tubs (I'm 68) and, the idea of one jar not affecting the whole tub relieves a lot of stress! Although with Patsy’s Ez Monos I didn’t have to mist or anything… and for sure I was blessed with beginners luck as all six fruited. My next couple attempts contaminated and resulted in only a few fruits so now I’m nervous and don’t want to fail again but be that what it may I'm learning a LOT. Now, I’ve got numerous shoeboxes going and have these n00b questions… and I have more pictures and questions coming as soon as I can get to posting them. Hope I don't bug... sorry if I do... I just want to learn and do it the right way... and I do use the serach option... I just have a hard time knowing how to ask the questions for what I'm searching for!

• I’ve read blueing isn’t good, it’s bruising, but what does blueing look like, what causes it, how do you address it/fix it? I wasn’t sure if the greyish myc in these pictures was some sort of contamination or bluing?

• I’ve read myc that looks like its reaching isn't good but is that true in all cases? And WHY would myc be reaching? For GE? For water? For food? In the last picture is that considered ‘reaching’ and if so, again, what causes it and how do you adress it/fix it?

• Right surface conditions... due to failing eye site I’m going by the color of the coir substrate and, if I start to see beads of water I’m hoping I haven’t over-misted (since they’re not so tiny at that point…). Am I reading surface conditions correctly? In the first and last pictures the sub looks a little dry to me where the middle pic looks good? None really have any beads of water that I can see yet the color of the sub looks good. Am I reading them correctly? And mush said "keep your substrates moist 24/7 always glistening and slightly drier is better than overly wet...

UPDATE: We have PINS folks! And a bunch of little dots - what are those dots, upcoming pins? blobs? fighting contam?

So, my misting-based-on-sub-color didn't kill them but now what? mushboy said:
  • "if you find you need to mist before you fruit them then you are making your bulk under capacity"

what is meant by 'before you fruit them'?

• "don't mist first pin sets too heaviy, kinda let em grow for the first few days. Once they grow a bit then you can do a more through misting or bottom watering if the pin set demands."

How will I know 'the pin set demands?" My little guys are two days old now...

• "leave them alone for the first week until most of the myc has colonized the surface then ill flp the lid or toss in a mono and start the 'evaporation' of moisture off the surface creating a happy micro-climate and when the surface looks dry I mist"

dumb question, what does 'they look dry' look like?
            I have a bunch of Pasty 66qrt Ez monos, 2 shoeboxes will fit inside
                - should I put them in or as a n00b learn what flip the lid is like first? Hell, I have enough
                shoeboxes and monos to do a little of each and cut down the learning curve time

Do these pictures call for bottom watering? I used a magnifying glass and it looks like there is a fair amount of pins coming in. How much water do you add and how - without it pooling on the sub which I assume you don't want? I'm probably making a simple task into a monumental project... ... please forgive me... it's probably as simple as pull a side away from the sub and pour... how much though? Gesh, doing something for the first time is stressful... I don't want to drown my little guys and I don't want to increase the risk of tams as it's in the 80's now...

And I still see areas that are kind of grey looking. Is that anything to be concerned about, watch, do something about? Are those just dryer areas so they're 'bluing?'

I really want to learn the in’s and out’s of shoeboxes…

Be patient with me... this all probably seems quite obvious to you but I'm still unfamiliar with the shroom language and all the finer details to cultivating but I'm getting there thanks to you all...

Edited by Threads2theSoul (06/26/21 09:50 PM)

OfflineThreads2theSoul
Inquirer
Female User Gallery

Re: Making shoeboxes [Re: Threads2theSoul] * 2
    #27376373 - 07/06/21 01:26 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

...that longwinded annoying grannie is back.

I want to thank you all for NOT commenting on my post, my insecurities (“that ol lady” “she’s not serious” “she’s soOoo annoying” yada yada) and fears of failing turned into stubborn resolve (“I’ll show them” “I’ll figure this out on my own”) and resulted in gained knowledge, confidence and 5 shoeboxes' first flush dry of 264grams. That's 8.677395 oz from 5 qurats of spawn.  I’ve NEVER in my life had a green thumb (except for my first try at Pasty’s EZ mono’s (the subsequent ones all failed ) and a long time ago this one violet that just kept on and on and on…).

… what second flush is looking like for all five :dancer:

THANK YOU MUSHBOY for this tek. It is really simple and a great way to start when you're not sure if your spawn is just right:hug:

- I really do thank all you guys and gals:super:

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Making shoeboxes [Re: Threads2theSoul]
    #27376414 - 07/06/21 01:57 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Good job!

25g average for first flush is great especially for a first run.

The second flush looks like they’ll be solid too. :mushroom2:

--------------------
LAGM2020

OfflineThreads2theSoul
Inquirer
Female User Gallery

Re: Making shoeboxes [Re: A.k.a]
    #27376426 - 07/06/21 02:04 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

A.k.a said:
Good job!

25g average for first flush is great especially for a first run.

The second flush looks like they’ll be solid too. :mushroom2:

Thank you A.k.a. :blush: Actually, I'm a bit overwhelmed by all those pin heads in the second flush. I'm guessing they're going to need bottom watering and misting to keep up with the amount of water they'll need. Learning as I go!

Offlinemonkey_accident
fail now learn later

Loc: im here, bro
Re: Making shoeboxes [Re: Threads2theSoul]
    #27376661 - 07/06/21 05:21 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

try your hand at liners you might like them for harvesting and stopping unwanted evaporation
I always have trouble with shoeboxes drying out post first flush, its a common thing
a nice dunk usually helps them out if the sub starts pulling away from the sides

Invisibleeducateme
Stranger

#27379512 - 07/08/21 05:24 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

This will be my first time ever dabbling in mycology and I want to try PF tek but quick question before I document the entire process for myself.  So when birthing the cake from PF, would dunking still be necessary or would I be able to proceed directly to shredding the spawn and laying it out in the shoe box?
My assumption is that dunking is still required but the reapplication of verm is obviously not at this point; is that correct? or is this not a necessity because of the hydrated coir?
Apologies if this isn't exactly the right spot to post this q.

Edited by educateme (07/08/21 05:43 PM)

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Making shoeboxes [Re: educateme] * 1
    #27379574 - 07/08/21 06:06 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

The coir will have plenty of water so you won’t need to dunk the cakes.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 708 | 709 | 710 | 711 | 712 | 713 | 714 | 715 | 716 | 717 | 718 | 719 | 720 | 721 | 722 | 723 | 724 | 725 | 726 | 727 | 728 | Next > | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom