Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Definition of 'ego'
    #2726109 - 05/25/04 01:27 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Started in: this thread

I think it would be quite beneficial if we could all come to an agreement on what the "ego" is and how it is defined. As many have pointed out, a lot of misinterpretation goes on in this forum...let's at least clear a little up eh :smile:

Dictionary.com (which, I've been told, is bad for these kind of definitions) says that "ego" is:

e?go    ( P )  n. pl. e?gos

1. The self, especially as distinct from the world and other selves.
2. In psychoanalysis, the division of the psyche that is conscious, most immediately controls thought and behavior, and is most in touch with external reality.

3. a. An exaggerated sense of self-importance; conceit.
b. Appropriate pride in oneself; self-esteem.

---------------

although it doesn't seem too far off from what I think of as "ego". :smirk:

In fact, I think I will use that definition to describe what I think "ego" is. Numbers 1 and 2 are both right on: I think of ego as what separates me from others, in terms of personality and such. It is most likely not the only "part" of what makes up Me as a whole, though.

Number 3a would be my example of ego gone wrong, and 3b would be my example of a properly functioning ego.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: trendal]
    #2726130 - 05/25/04 01:34 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i completely agree.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

InvisibleMr_Gubjet

Loc: Infinitus Kosmos
    #2726170 - 05/25/04 01:47 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
Started in: this thread

I think it would be quite beneficial if we could all come to an agreement on what the "ego" is and how it is defined. As many have pointed out, a lot of misinterpretation goes on in this forum...let's at least clear a little up eh :smile:

Dictionary.com (which, I've been told, is bad for these kind of definitions) says that "ego" is:

e?go    ( P )  n. pl. e?gos

1. The self, especially as distinct from the world and other selves.
2. In psychoanalysis, the division of the psyche that is conscious, most immediately controls thought and behavior, and is most in touch with external reality.

3. a. An exaggerated sense of self-importance; conceit.
b. Appropriate pride in oneself; self-esteem.

---------------

although it doesn't seem too far off from what I think of as "ego". :smirk:

In fact, I think I will use that definition to describe what I think "ego" is. Numbers 1 and 2 are both right on: I think of ego as what separates me from others, in terms of personality and such. It is most likely not the only "part" of what makes up Me as a whole, though.

Number 3a would be my example of ego gone wrong, and 3b would be my example of a properly functioning ego.

Can you define Egoless?

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: Mr_Gubjet]
    #2726183 - 05/25/04 01:50 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Egoless: not having an ego (see definition: ego) :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #2726248 - 05/25/04 02:12 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #2726269 - 05/25/04 02:30 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with that completely.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity
Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: Sclorch]
    #2726891 - 05/25/04 08:44 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah that deoxy link explains it perfectly. I read that a long while ago and it helped shape my own understanding of the ego.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: deff]
    #2727114 - 05/25/04 10:02 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

"Yeah that deoxy link explains it perfectly."

it sure does...wow...definately helped clear up some things I have been thinking about. thanks for that link!

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2727171 - 05/25/04 10:17 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I might take it one step further and describe the ego as a part of the brain that identifies with survival of self, including self identity and personality.
But I would agree with that definition for the most part.

--------------------

Offlinerepemon
journeyman
    #2727206 - 05/25/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Gr8!

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2727242 - 05/25/04 10:37 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I think of ego as what separates me from others, in terms of personality and such. It is most likely not the only "part" of what makes up Me as a whole, though.

What about the perspective of somebody else looking at you? What does your ego have to do with them defining you (separating you from others).

What I am trying to say is that it isn't our ego which defines us. It is our ego which differentiates what we observe/experience and applies lables and catagories.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: Seuss]
    #2727252 - 05/25/04 10:41 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I also think the ego is also the 'personality' that we mold according to our experiences, and people DO define others by their personality.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2727265 - 05/25/04 10:46 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

yeah i agree the ego actually define us...but rather to ego tries to define ourselves. The ego is like a filter that has a say on what my awareness picks up on. that's where the limitation is, because it literally chooses to see reality a certain way. this to me is the essence of our personality. what we choose to experience and how we deal with it, this to me helps shape our personality. the ego tries to decide what stays in our minds and what goes based on our ideas, morals...etc. so the ego definately has a lot to do with the progression of our personality.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: Shroomism]
    #2727267 - 05/25/04 10:47 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I agree, the ego is what differentiates our personalities. It is the most outwardly visible aspect of our Self.

--------------------

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

#2727447 - 05/25/04 11:38 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I believe that the ego is the conscious sense of self. That is, the ego is the mental representation of one's being and its boundaries.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: Phencyclidine]
    #2727522 - 05/25/04 12:05 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

And to the extent that we're aware of our egos, we can manipulate those aspects of ourselves (appearence, actions we take) that are most easily changable in order to illict certain responses from other individuals. However, our egos have more to do with the forces shaping how we'd like to present ourselves to others and ourselves than how we necessarily present ourselves. There is a certain formality to ego that is implied by its self-awareness.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: Panoramix]
    #2727608 - 05/25/04 12:36 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

> I believe that the ego is the conscious sense of self.

Exactly what I was trying to say... the ego is where the sense of oneself comes from, it is not actually what makes/defines oneself.

I would even go so far as to claim that the ego is what drives most of our reaction to situations... the reason we behave as we do... but I would not claim that our personalities are defined by our ego alone.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
    #2727783 - 05/25/04 01:11 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

"but I would not claim that our personalities are defined by our ego alone" Yeah, there's a set of behavior patterns that appeal to me on an unconcious or preconcious level.  Even if I were in a situation where it would be more advantageous for me to behave in ways that contradict my personality, I can't really do that.  For example, I'm pretty laid-back and non-violent.  During an attempted mugging, I've had trouble acting hostilely towards people who were being rather aggressive with me.  I'm just not the sort of person who hits people.  The part of me most easily definable as my 'self' is saying 'They're hitting you, you should hit them back', but something that has just as much to do with who I am realizes that such an action would be detrimental not only towards them in the short-term, but also towards myself in the long-term.  So in the interest of "They're only kids, better to tough it out and remove myself and those pieces of property these kids are intent on acquiring from the area in which their presence is causing the willingness on the kids' part, and possible necessity on my part to do violence" my personality as defined as those aspects of my behavior I can't and don't particularly want to change can override my ego as defined by Shroomism as "...the part of the brain that identifies with 'survival of self'".  Though my personality has an underlying defining effect on my ego, my ego determines my concious actions and experiences, which in turn act to shape my personality...  wait a minute...  :weirdeyes:
I like what kaiowas was saying... "So the ego definately has a lot to do with the progression of our personality" which itself has key role in our thoughts and actions, providing a context with which our ego can operate.  Maybe.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Definition of 'ego' [Re: Panoramix]
    #2727817 - 05/25/04 01:21 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I agree that the ego is the defining sense of self, as well as a sort of filter that this creates in order to percieve a reality suited for our consciousness. This is why egodeath is key to viewing everything fully subjectively, and why I stand by many "revelations" that have come to me in this state.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#2728042 - 05/25/04 02:26 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

defining ego in terms of self is like defining art in terms of work, or interms of wealth. a poor pointer to a different question!

what is self??? (what is ego??)

is ego the part of self that relates to experiencing or is it the part of self that relates to the history and baggage? (maybe the part that filters experiencing to suggest reactions)

is ego something separate from self ?

is self the experiencing component and ego the automation resource? -
the bag of conditioned responses?

is self separate from world or part of it
is ego separate from world or part of it?
is there a good or bad to any of this?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale